Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

leica posted:

It's not limited to Lambos, if you drive convertibles long enough you realize that it's an invitation for idiots to yell poo poo because they know you can hear them. Never mind the amount of garbage that gets thrown in them when parked in public areas. If I had a dollar for every time someone yelled human being at me or threw garbage in my car I'd be able to afford a Lambo by now.

I had a bright red convertible 67 Impala for a couple of years, and all I got was compliments? Maybe it only happens if the car's new enough for you to be viewed as rich. I also never parked it out by the bars or anything.

What's more chickenshit than loving with a man's car, man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Tax return is in, shopping for tires.

All seasons, good tread life, 215/50/17. Go.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Tax return is in, shopping for tires.

All seasons, good tread life, 215/50/17. Go.

Love my bridgestone ecopia ep422 I've got on the Maxima. Quiet and great in snow. Handling is not confidence inspiring,but they're rated for 65k miles.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I had a bright red convertible 67 Impala for a couple of years, and all I got was compliments? Maybe it only happens if the car's new enough for you to be viewed as rich. I also never parked it out by the bars or anything.

If it's a classic I guess that's cool, also when I owned a Jeep that was apparently cool too :confused:

Four of the convertibles I've owned (and currently own) were miatas so yeah.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

angryhampster posted:

Love my bridgestone ecopia ep422 I've got on the Maxima. Quiet and great in snow. Handling is not confidence inspiring,but they're rated for 65k miles.

Looks like I'll be TireRack'ing anyways. I caved last time and just went to Discount. The Falken 612's (or 912's) weren't awful but treadlife could have been better.

Edit: Many moons ago I remember loving a set of Conti DWS's but holy poo poo those got expensive. 134 a corner?

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 25, 2015

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo am I ready to close on my new house. Well, my 33 year old new house. We have been searching for nearly 2 years for a unicorn and we found it. It's not perfect, of course, and it needs some work. But the location, neighborhood, layout, and size for the price are absolutely perfect.

The home inspection passed with flying colors - a couple problems, but nothing that isn't easily rectified.

Probably the best thing is my kid is going from living in a house/neighborhood with NO kids and too much traffic (plus drivers that drive too drat fast) to a house in a closed off neighborhood with half a dozen kids his age AND a one way in/out that limits traffic. We already know half the neighborhood it seems through my best friend of 25 years who lives there as well. Other cool stuff is they (we?) have Mardi Gras parades for the kids, Santa Clause comes to town, everyone gets into Halloween, etc. There's "pub crawls" where people set up make-shift bars in their garage and everyone walks from house to house drinking and eating. Everybody keeps their yard and house up.

The neighborhood is shaped like a Q, and is about 1 mile or so all the way around. It's an older neighborhood with big old Southern oaks that overhang the roads and make it look like you're driving through a tree tunnel.

Can't wait to move in.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

zundfolge posted:

Got a small raise and a decent bonus at work, which was nice since today is my birthday. My partner is going to take me out to get steaks later. So far, I'm feeling pretty good about being 27. :toot:

Nice! Let them know that they've unfortunately (for them) set a precedent that know must be repeated for all of your birthdays :)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Looks like I'll be TireRack'ing anyways. I caved last time and just went to Discount. The Falken 612's (or 912's) weren't awful but treadlife could have been better.

Edit: Many moons ago I remember loving a set of Conti DWS's but holy poo poo those got expensive. 134 a corner?

It seems like tires have gotten more expensive over the last couple years. I paid $650 for my Bridgestones, including installation and Costco warranty. Other shops wanted about $700-725 with no warranty. The 16" Falkens (612s actually) I put on our Focus last year only put me back $375.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I get the most amazingly hostile looks driving my mother's early 90's SL500. I can be driving in a perfectly safe and sane manner with traffic and will have someone passing me slow down just to yell stuff at me or express their displeasure with me through certain universally recognized hand gestures.

It really seems some people just hate seeing anyone doing better than them, so I say gently caress them. Drive your awesome car around, if only so those of us that will never get to own one can droll and post on an internet forum going "HOLY poo poo CHECK OUT THIS BADASS CAR I SPOTTED TODAY!".

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So it looks like in the next year and a half we're going to be buying our first house :) I went over the finances and realized that we're essentially throwing away money by renting an apartment when a 15 year mortgage on a $250k house isn't much more expensive than what rent is. I wanted to pay off our student loans first thing out of school before we bought a house, but I didn't realize how low the minimum payment would be (granted, we won't pay only the minimum).

Looks like I'm going to have a garage sooner rather than later :3:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Congrats! And welcome to the fabulous world of a moneypit home ownership! Just when you get the house the way you want it, you realize there's more, then you think you're done, and there's more. It's a never ending cycle.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

keykey posted:

It's a never ending cycle.

Yes it is.

And the best advice I can give anyone on home ownership is stay on top of it. Once a month, do a walk around and take stock of what needs fixing, repairing, or updating. Because, like an old car, a house is the same way. Doing continuous checking and maintenance is cheaper in the long run.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Drove a scissor lift for first time today. Had no idea those things are as wobbly as they are extended 35 feet. Holy poo poo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

keykey posted:

Congrats! And welcome to the fabulous world of a moneypit home ownership! Just when you get the house the way you want it, you realize there's more, then you think you're done, and there's more. It's a never ending cycle.

Haha it doesn't help that the only houses that we're interested in/in the area we want to live in are from the early 1900's :v:

My wife wanted whatever house we buy to be our forever home because we both hate moving, but after talking about it, I swung her around to the "let's buy a relatively cheap house now, put some money into it while saving as much as we can, sell it for a bit of a profit, then build our dream house" idea but she is still put off from building houses after watching my parents do it and absolutely gently caress everything up because they don't know how to handle money.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

CornHolio posted:

I got that promotion and raise yesterday and today is also my birthday. Are you actually me? :tinfoil:

What are you having for dinner tonight? :v:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
A starter home isn't necessarily a bad idea. Get in cheap, ALOT cheaper than an apartment, and build some equity into it. Then either sell or use it for rental income. We lived in our "starter home" for 13 years, and will LIKELY rent it when we close on the new house. I'm kind of torn about it, though. On one hand, RENTAL INCOME!! YAY!!! It's only 2 years from being paid off which could be used to basically make the payment on our new house.

On the other, dealing with renters :suicide:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

trouser chili posted:

Drove a scissor lift for first time today. Had no idea those things are as wobbly as they are extended 35 feet. Holy poo poo.

Driving poo poo like that is one of the things I really miss about working construction. I remember having scissor lift races, but at full extension. They don't go very fast, but it was way too much fun. Forklift races happened often at the warehouse, since there were 2 forklifts and we were bored a lot.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd start saving and think carefully if you really want to be in the same area for the next 15 years--especially after getting done with college you may get an offer that requires you to move and early in your career(s), not being geographically tied to a particular location is very helpful.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tusen Takk posted:

So it looks like in the next year and a half we're going to be buying our first house :) I went over the finances and realized that we're essentially throwing away money by renting an apartment when a 15 year mortgage on a $250k house isn't much more expensive than what rent is. I wanted to pay off our student loans first thing out of school before we bought a house, but I didn't realize how low the minimum payment would be (granted, we won't pay only the minimum).

Remember that the mortgage isn't the only part of the equation... PITI. Principal, Interest, Taxes, Insurance. Also upkeep. Houses are awesome, but they have a way of dumping thousand to ten thousand dollar repair bills on you occasionally unless you can do the repairs yourself. Then, they dump 500 to 2000 dollar repair bills on you instead.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

zundfolge posted:

Olive Garden

Not because I like it, but because we have a gift card.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Remember that the mortgage isn't the only part of the equation... PITI. Principal, Interest, Taxes, Insurance. Also upkeep. Houses are awesome, but they have a way of dumping thousand to ten thousand dollar repair bills on you occasionally unless you can do the repairs yourself. Then, they dump 500 to 2000 dollar repair bills on you instead.

And make a note that homeowners insurance doesn't cover a tornado ripping through your yard and dropping eleven full-sized trees. They'll cover the fence they tear through and any damage to the house itself, but downed trees are not typically covered past $500 for "cleanup."

Ask me how I know! :v:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I got a raise yesterday too. It wasn't much but I can't complain. I also got invited to play in a different orchestra. Unfortunately, I can't make the rehearsals.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

I'd start saving and think carefully if you really want to be in the same area for the next 15 years--especially after getting done with college you may get an offer that requires you to move and early in your career(s), not being geographically tied to a particular location is very helpful.
That is true, luckily there is high enough demand for CS graduates in and around Detroit that I shouldn't have to relocate any time soon. Also, my wife is extremely tied to Michigan because her nursing licenses and her family live here, so I'm not sure that moving her away from here would be easy. As much as I would love to move somewhere warmer, afaik outside of Silicone Valley and Seattle there isn't as high of demand for CS as there is in Michigan/Chicago.

kastein posted:

Exactly. As much of a "waste" renting is, if poo poo goes tits up, we don't have to pay for anything to get fixed. Luckily, even though my dad was awful with money, he taught me how to do pretty much any home and auto repair (he runs a handyman business now where he fixes elevators and does plumbing among other things for the skyscrapers in Detroit). To cover that, I'm going with the good old Dave Ramsey plan and keeping an emergency fund just in case something like that happens.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bovril Delight posted:

My favorite interview story is the guy who presented a bullet pointed list refuting the feedback he had received after an interview.
Hire him. Put him in charge of responding to audit findings.

Comrade Flynn posted:

So this happened while giving Das Volk a ride.
poo poo, all "Hurr Italia" and "Cursed DV" jokes aside, that sucks

quote:

Coil packs got wet during a car wash.
But does sort of make sense.

quote:

We left it for an hour and came back to find someone had spit on it. Also while loading it onto the truck two groups of teenagers drove past filming while screaming "human being".

I hate humanity.
Aaaaand we're back to sucking again. It's not the Lambo, mate, it's just people being jealous little crab-bucketing cunts over anything that even might be a sign of someone enjoying themselves. I had someone vandalize the Cappo, and that cost less than a month's wages. gently caress 'em.

Geirskogul posted:

If you were, drunk, say, and stole a street sign, a "speed humps" sign, would you be ashamed?

You're just upset that you can't have the "humps both ways" sign that's outside my house. :gay:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

The Pontiac badge on the front.

Powershift posted:

The Pontiac badge on the back.

So one of these is the should and one of these is the shouldn't, right? :v:

meatpimp posted:

Downsides are: no trunk, spotty parts availability, aforementioned Pontiac stuff, tire fitment in rear limits amount of power you can put down.

Upsides: LS motor is an absolute torque-monster blast. However, the same motor is available in a lot of other (better) cars.

Thanks! However, since

bolind posted:

Aren't you in Sweden?

I do, which means the LS2 and it's (later) siblings are kind of rare (the only other cars "common" here with it would be Corvettes, which is twice the price of the GTO. LS1 cars are fairly common though). Therefor I guess

nm posted:

If the answer is yes, buy the goat.

Only thing now is; it doesn't have a current inspection, and the dealer that "owns" it has a reputation for, among other things, the fact that they register their cars on their employees so that they can get away with not giving you the warranties the law requires a dealer to give. The GTO on the other hand is registered to a real estate company with the same name as the dealer? But I'll go take a look!

That also why I was more interested in "what usually fucks up on a GTO when it's mistreated".

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Ha, you're in Sweden and want to buy a commodore? That's one for the books...
Not a lot stuff up with them, just rear bushings and mounts I guess. But they are dogshit build quality IMO.
(I've mentioned before my partner has a v6 one, worse in every regard to my aussie ford falcon for everything - trim, panel and paint, brakes, NVH etc)

e:As mentioned before in a similar topic, LS1s had oil consumption issues and piston slap, but I think they sorted that out by 2005

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 25, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

So one of these is the should and one of these is the shouldn't, right? :v:

Thanks! However, since

I do, which means the LS2 and it's (later) siblings are kind of rare (the only other cars "common" here with it would be Corvettes, which is twice the price of the GTO. LS1 cars are fairly common though). Therefor I guess

Only thing now is; it doesn't have a current inspection, and the dealer that "owns" it has a reputation for, among other things, the fact that they register their cars on their employees so that they can get away with not giving you the warranties the law requires a dealer to give. The GTO on the other hand is registered to a real estate company with the same name as the dealer? But I'll go take a look!

That also why I was more interested in "what usually fucks up on a GTO when it's mistreated".

Is it an actual Pontiac? I didn't know they sold them outside of North America... I thought in Europe they were sold as the Opel Omega/Vauxhall Monaro or something like that

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Homemade chicken schnitzel and chips tonight. There are few things better than homemade chips. Handcut and deep fried :)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

Is it an actual Pontiac? I didn't know they sold them outside of North America... I thought in Europe they were sold as the Opel Omega/Vauxhall Monaro or something like that

Yeah, in Europe they are Vauxhalls and def not Pontiacs. Someone may have done a Pontiac panel swap tho? That said, the LS1 powered Commodores showed how poo poo the LS1 actually is - they fell apart faster than the 5 litre Holden motors before them and that's saying something. You REALLY want the LS2 or L98 versions, much MUCH better engines to say the least and actual engines to wax lyrical about.

Piston slap and oil leaks are only the start of the issues in the LS1 powered Commodores. I know of far too many engines replaced due to excessive wear in the bores or pistons going out the side.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

zundfolge posted:

Steak and BJ time!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

Yeah, in Europe they are Vauxhalls and def not Pontiacs. Someone may have done a Pontiac panel swap tho?
The most probable answers are either someone in the military was stationed there and brought it with them, or someone wanted one badly enough to import it.

Though there was a guy down the road from me who had a Ford Granada with Merkur badges on it. :what:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
A guy at work has a Vauxhall VXR8 that some PO re-badged as a Holden. :raise:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tusen Takk posted:

Haha it doesn't help that the only houses that we're interested in/in the area we want to live in are from the early 1900's :v:

Holy poo poo, don't even think about it if you value your own sanity. We owned a house that was built in 1920-something and it had 3 build dates associated with it because of renovations. Anyway, doing a walk through and looking is one thing.. Living in one is a completely different monster. You get into different wiring, non-standard wiring/plumbing/misc. Also good luck doing any repair and trying to blend it. We only owned it for 3.5 years before we moved and I have never looked back. My wife occasionally says,"I kinda want to get a house from x era." I just shoot her a glare because I'm the one that inevitably does all the work, except painting, that's her arena.

Speaking of which, at least this month pulled up a little bit, my wife's grandpa is out of the hospital and home and over his mrsa pneumonia and it looks like she's getting promoted to a director position to oversee 25+ people.

InitialDave posted:

You're just upset that you can't have the "humps both ways" sign that's outside my house. :gay:

PIX PLEASE!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Took a look at the newest issue of super street magazine today because of something I saw on facebook. They based an article off of a post copied from my website.

My page:
http://hellafunctional.com/?p=1468

I mean, yeah it's just a list of times that anyone could come up with, but they didn't bother to do that. If they had, the list would be different because I included non super lap events, and why would they pick 40 times instead of some other amount? Little annoyed.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 25, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

jamal posted:

Took a look at the newest issue of super street magazine today because of a facebook post. They based an article off of a post copied from my website.

http://hellafunctional.com/?p=1468

I mean, yeah it's just a list of times that anyone could come up with, but they didn't bother to do that. If they had, the list would be different because I included non super lap events, and why would they pick 40 times instead of some other amount? Little annoyed.

Isn't that illegal?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

For those of you closing in on new houses, congrats and good luck.

Our bank however decided to let me know we need 20% deposit, not the 16% we have, because of bullshit reasons around the house we want being a new build.

I'm annoyed as hell because if I'd have known that I'd never have looked at it. There's an outside chance they'll lower the requirement, but I won't find out for a week.

To paraphrase the UK megathread, All bankers are cunts.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Yeah, i'd say something about that, Jamal. Least they could do is give you some sort of credit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jammyozzy posted:

A guy at work has a Vauxhall VXR8 that some PO re-badged as a Holden. :raise:

I'm starting to get the distinct feeling LS powered Holdens are becoming a cult car outside of Australia. Kinda like old Falcons from here are vanishing and reappearing all over the globe as collectables - I'm lead to believe any Falcon coupe left alive in Aust are being actively hunted by collectors and restorers in the USA especially.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

keykey posted:

Holy poo poo, don't even think about it if you value your own sanity. We owned a house that was built in 1920-something and it had 3 build dates associated with it because of renovations. Anyway, doing a walk through and looking is one thing.. Living in one is a completely different monster. You get into different wiring, non-standard wiring/plumbing/misc. Also good luck doing any repair and trying to blend it. We only owned it for 3.5 years before we moved and I have never looked back. My wife occasionally says,"I kinda want to get a house from x era." I just shoot her a glare because I'm the one that inevitably does all the work, except painting, that's her arena.
Yeah, and shows like Rehad Addict don't help at all because it makes it all look easy and/or cheap (it's only ever easy or cheap, never both). The downside is that my wife doesn't want to look at the older, well-kept neighbourhoods around Detroit and south of where we currently live, she's looking at the area east of us that is older and until about 10 years ago was very affluent but after the recession most of the affluence moved farther north or completely left the state, leaving their houses to people who didn't give a poo poo about maintenance (for those of you familiar with Detroit, we currently live in Auburn Hills outside of Pontiac, and she's looking at the area around downtown Rochester while I'd prefer to live in Royal Oak or Birmingham). Though I do see her point that the houses closer to Detroit are way smaller than what you can get farther out in the suburbs.

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm starting to get the distinct feeling LS powered Holdens are becoming a cult car outside of Australia. Kinda like old Falcons from here are vanishing and reappearing all over the globe as collectables - I'm lead to believe any Falcon coupe left alive in Aust are being actively hunted by collectors and restorers in the USA especially.
I would definitely own one here if they were legal, but then it's more nostalgia for me and less about "CRIKEY LOOK AT MY CAR THAT NOBODY AROUND HERE HAS PROBABLY HEARD OF"

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Picked up the January Car & Driver the other day, read the feature article and now I want a Z06. :(

• Locked thread