Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

matrix maths is easy just call out to lapack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Luigi Thirty posted:

a few years ago I decided that ENGINES ARE A CRUTCH, bought a big red book on OpenGL, and decided to MAKE MY OWN BIDEO JAME

then I realized matrix math was hard and I decided installing ue3 was easier and if I wanted bare metal to blink leds on an Arduino

yeah having watched echi develop his game from nothing it did occur to me that maybe getting ue4 was an easier way but i have faith that ultimately my toil will pay off

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i mean realyl depends what you want to get out of the experience

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rodrover

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

big scary monsters posted:

yeah having watched echi develop his game from nothing it did occur to me that maybe getting ue4 was an easier way but i have faith that ultimately my toil will pay off

to ad to what i said

like, i can definitely see some games not being suited to someting like ue4. it makes big installs for even simple games and its easy to be overkill

for someone like me though it lets me focus on making the fun parts of the game. like being handed an electric guitar plugged into a triple rectifier, as opposed to getting a piece of wood, wrapping your own coils and building your own amplifier. obviously there are reasons why different people are attracated to different scenarios

other people might prefer cryengine, which possibly has a better overall 3d engine (at least as far as ability goes, no idea about scalabil;ity etc) but is significantly less fleshed out as far as letting you just make game

visual coding might overall be slower and less efficient but its the headstart it gives you on whatever you do that makes it so fast for me. :smugmrgw: i have no idea how slow/fast it would be to code the poo poo i do

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i'm making more of a screensaver than a game and it's basically 2d/2.5d really although i think 3d will be useful for lighting effects. i'm doing some cartography nerd stuff, eduard imhof and the swisstopo maps are the look i'm going for

digital relief shading is not exactly new ground but imo most of the current implementations suck and i want to do my own thing with it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

i'm making more of a screensaver than a game and it's basically 2d/2.5d really although i think 3d will be useful for lighting effects. i'm doing some cartography nerd stuff, eduard imhof and the swisstopo maps are the look i'm going for

digital relief shading is not exactly new ground but imo most of the current implementations suck and i want to do my own thing with it

these are amazing. how are they generated?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
the first two are drawings by eduard imhof, the last one is part of a 1:50000 hand drawn Swiss map from 1946. the other two are 1:25000 scale from 2003, probably a combination of professional gis software and then lots of tweaking by hand

i don't realistically expect to get anywhere near that quality but it's something to aim for

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
also that second painting (Karte der Gegend um den Walensee) is nearly 10m across in the original

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that poo poo is going to own man

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i spend time just panning around google earth and love poo poo like this. maps own so hard

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

the first two are drawings by eduard imhof, the last one is part of a 1:50000 hand drawn Swiss map from 1946. the other two are 1:25000 scale from 2003, probably a combination of professional gis software and then lots of tweaking by hand

i don't realistically expect to get anywhere near that quality but it's something to aim for

ahahaha oh i misunderstood, i thought those maps were something you did that was mimicking another style and i was like "drat"

i work with maps a lot and need to step up my visualization game eventually

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

screen savers are the best i enjoy that poo poo

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

yeah I looked at ue4 for similar generated terrainy stuff and i don't think it's set up for that sort of thing, apparently collision data and lighting needs to be precompiled so you can't do procedural stuff?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

unpacked robinhood posted:

yeah there are two indenependent 1W leds, so i need two constant current drivers ?

hey i missed this. the answer is yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

yeah I looked at ue4 for similar generated terrainy stuff and i don't think it's set up for that sort of thing, apparently collision data and lighting needs to be precompiled so you can't do procedural stuff?

you dont have to precompile lighting but dynamic lighting is significantly poorer.. at some stage they are going to head more down the dynamic GI path but thats on the backburner right now (you can get it working, and I've used it)
all the gorgeous ue4 screenshots are precompiled lighting, it really does make things look good (those architecture shots are amazing and the first time you first person in the realistic lighting example is somewhat surreal (cant imagine it with oculous)) but yeah only suits static things

shame no one is seriously incorporating a non-bias solution into any engine, i mean its a slow solution but for something like that it would be perfect

a screensaver of the terriane eording etc. orgamisc

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im trying to make a test dungeon to test what kind of movement etc works. one problem is that walls etc are in the way of the camera, so i need a system to hide them at the appropriate times

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
echi, make it so you can do rolls and flips in your new game

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

turn this into a somewhat niche indie game about hiking and you will make lots of money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or let me use your software once you write it and ill make the game and give you a cut

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

European Hiking Simulator 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Appalachian Trail

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
lol. yeah no doubt there'd be a big market for it in germany, they love hiking and boring sim games so if there were enough realism with elaborate pack weight planning and so on it'd probably be a hit

at the moment though i've only got as far as procedural heightmap generation and gis data access/formatting (in case you want to use real world terrain) so all the hard parts are still to come

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
branding tie in with leki for the walking pole dlc

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
combine it with the oculus rift and an adjustable height/speed treadmill, bundle it with a box of soylent, sell it to valley nerds who want to be 100x but still experience nature

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

DLC level where you're a google employee running from the pitchfork wielding mob as the mission burns

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

cross fit expansion where someone throws rocks at you while you're on the treadmill

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Bloody posted:

Appalachian Trail

You have died of organic vegan granola poisoning.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Captain Cool posted:

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/underwire_0401_funnycomputer/

there used to be a site where the computer would generate a joke and you could rate it but either I can't find it or it's gone

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/jokingcomputer/

This? My first thread here in the pos was about that

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wish it was your last thread

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ok

quote:

and boring sim games

go on

quote:

elaborate pack weight planning and so on

THIS IS THE SOUND OF ME THROWING MONEY AT THE MONITOR TO TRY TO GIVE IT TO YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

we unironically have a tens of thousands of dollars idea on our hands.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

would this be a realistic 1st-person 3d sim like eurotruck or would it be an abstract map-based strategy sim with lots of auxiliary windows like aurora or something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

echi, make it so you can do rolls and flips in your new game

it naturally rolls and flips* because its not a well designed vehicle with a low centre of gravity or anything (and is front heavy) but in the game, you "die" if you can right yourself
this new game is going to be VERY simple. to play at least. something my kids can play and be ok at

* controlling the camera to not do 180s when this happens is easier said than done! LOL

wanna play hiking preperation simulator.

Glorgnole posted:

would this be a realistic 1st-person 3d sim like eurotruck or would it be an abstract map-based strategy sim with lots of auxiliary windows like aurora or something

when u finally leave for the trail it just turns into a large milkdrop style visualisations and trhe player passes out in front of their computer - in an ideal world anyway

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!

Jonny 290 posted:

ok

go on

THIS IS THE SOUND OF ME THROWING MONEY AT THE MONITOR TO TRY TO GIVE IT TO YOU

play The Long Dark

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i gave that a go. wasnt my bag. also died quickly

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 395 days!
i sorted out food and clothing pretty quickly at the start so the rest of my time with that game was pretty much just spent exploring and drawing up maps on paper, v relaxing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i dont have much patience for games these days :(

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i dont have much patience for games these days :(

congratulations, you're less of a nerd now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Glorgnole posted:

i think its a little of both. you have map view where you prepare for your hike, like you draw your route and pack your bag and all that poo poo. then you go hiking? or you watch yourself go hiking? not sure. definitely has map-based planning aspect though.