Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

True and Real posted:

I don't do that poo poo as scum FYI, I am an organic being in all phases of the game

"I can't figure out who to vote for!" has been said by AN at least 3 times. I feel like shes buddying up to me.

this post is bad

Is playing up how new she is but also talks about how she played a good scum game recently. It's contradictory.

I formatted this insanely lazily so for my last point I want you all to realize she wasnt playing up her newbieness in the quoted post but in a number of other posts and that the scum game was the interesting post because it bucks the rest of her posting voice itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Oh, I also understood Ernie's argument from before and didn't think it was weird. He made a big post with reads responding to a variety of different flavors, and I came out of that wanting to arm him but instead saw merk's vote for him right afterwards and got confused.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

True and Real posted:

Well, what if I told you that is exactly how I felt about him in The Breach in which he was scum? Poque is avoiding the thread at large and just kinda sniping at the conversation and I do not like it.

If you told me that, I would respond that it's some pretty interesting meta info that I didn't know! Then I'd thank you. It would also make me more intrigued by Merk's case on Ernie since it's predicated on the exact same ideas that you and PMom are bringing up.

Question for you and PMom so that I can get a better contextual feel: Would you say that what they're doing is equivalent to an argument about flavor?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

merk posted:

Please read and respond to my case on Ernie.

It's good

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

weekly font posted:

Question for you and PMom so that I can get a better contextual feel: Would you say that what they're doing is equivalent to an argument about flavor?
No, flavour arguments can be good or bad. It depends on the mod, the setup, and how much information about flavour and roles and alignment is in play.

Gametheorycrafting is a smokescreen.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

weekly font posted:

If you told me that, I would respond that it's some pretty interesting meta info that I didn't know! Then I'd thank you. It would also make me more intrigued by Merk's case on Ernie since it's predicated on the exact same ideas that you and PMom are bringing up.

Hm. I'd say it's worse. Flavor arguments are lovely and dumb obviously, but what merk's case on Ernie is saying is that Ernie is saying things that are entirely valid but the kind of thing you could easily say from any position in the game because the statement is sort of common mafia sense. That's more insidious.

In Poque's case? No, it's not arguing flavor, it's just saying things that appeal to reason (don't arm someone who claims to know who to shoot because it washes hands of culpability) and not really engaging in the game otherwise. He's been around but not involved, and that is a problem.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I don't understand why the points I made during the arms race were bad. nothing I said was untrue and I didn't want a run for the gun to be determined by a momentum shift where scum could easily throw in their arming votes to keep themselves from being shot. Like they don't have hard calls that sort of theorycrafting is important to get out there.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's not what you've said but rather what you haven't

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
that's dumb.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It's not.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

True and Real posted:

Hm. I'd say it's worse. Flavor arguments are lovely and dumb obviously, but what merk's case on Ernie is saying is that Ernie is saying things that are entirely valid but the kind of thing you could easily say from any position in the game because the statement is sort of common mafia sense. That's more insidious.

In Poque's case? No, it's not arguing flavor, it's just saying things that appeal to reason (don't arm someone who claims to know who to shoot because it washes hands of culpability) and not really engaging in the game otherwise. He's been around but not involved, and that is a problem.

So is it entirely down to the fact Poque made no calls on scum/town in addition to what he was saying about gunplay?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Now you're putting me in a place where it will be scummy to make calls because they will seem reactionary.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My read on Poque as of when I told you I strongly disagreed was that he was suspicious whereas you were saying he was blatantly town. I'm not ready to say he is scum because he just hasn't said much in the way of content, but yeah, the fact that he's sitting back and saying things that are equally easy to say as scum and town is suspect, imo.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Oh my goodness you guys are killing me - every time I try and make a case I refresh and there's like 20 new posts! Unlike yesterday I'm kind of slammed at work at the moment so my posting might be a bit more sporadic.

I went over the four people Mills named:

Little Mac posted:

I think I should get voted out simultaneously in every game I'm playing. That would actually be kinda hilarious.

Change your votes. Arm me. I will do the funniest thing.

You have one minute to give me a fun for best ending

I'm null-leaning-town with Mac. Although there isn't much to go on, he sounds relaxed which implies town to me. He's someone I plan to re-read later pending future cases.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I see your point on MT but I disagree about PM. I don't think he was doing that based on Grandi giving him a pass and I think it's weird that is all you got from him

Probably merk and Ernie, their interaction and responses to each other are the most interesting so far.

merk, your new way of playing mafia seems to be that you just as abrasive as ever, only now you don't say very much thus you avoid the issue of "player with a lot of content often gets killed because it's easy to find some flaw in their posting." It makes me wary of you because I know you enjoy a good gambit as scum and this seems like it would be an effective one.

Probably merk and Ernie, their interaction and responses to each other are the most interesting so far.

I lean town here, Hal's posts read like someone who has been carefully reading the thread trying to find scum despite not having much time to do so.

Poque posted:

I don't consider this an absolute scenario. If you're wrong about Grandi, you've given scum a place to hide their votes without putting a target on their own backs and that needs to be out there as well.

is this a thing? I liked her post during gunchat but haven't really noticed stuff otherwise. Feels more like Wall Monitor did in DS9 (newbie town trying to help out however they can) than anything

I work best when dealing with results to compare against previous arguments and tone. it's not the best way to play but it's how I do best. I like PMom for town right now given the scumhunting he is doing plus the natural flow of his posts indicates good tone to me. I didn't vote to arm him because I wasn't ready to make that sort of a call on Grandi. NA is playing like a newbie town to me now, like I mentioned before.

Oh, I also understood Ernie's argument from before and didn't think it was weird. He made a big post with reads responding to a variety of different flavors, and I came out of that wanting to arm him but instead saw merk's vote for him right afterwards and got confused

Poque I'm null. His posts sound like they're coming from a town point of view, but seem like they're more focused on "who is town" over "who is scum", which makes me more suspicious regarding him than I am with Hal.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Gun thoughts!

Let's not give mills weapons.

I'm not sure I entirely follow/agree that the decision to arm is less interesting. it seems like you are just trying to push this through to the first person who wanted the gun.

I like Poque's reactions to Pmom's bloodlust/the gun scenario. Feel good about Poke.

Hey guys give the gun to me so I have all of the power but with none of the responsibility.

Boy Ernie's legs must be sore from jumping to conclusions!

Hurt has a whole ton of posts, almost none of which really advance the game. His one effortpost (quoted above) kind of implies that maybe Merk / Ernie / myself are shady, but never really comes out and says it. He endorses Poque for town, which I usually find suspicious when not done in tandem with looking for other scum.

The one thing he takes a firm stance on is that I should get the gun - if I were scum I feel like this would be a good way to blend in since it's an easily justifiable opinion to have. Other than that it's all just a bunch of noise posts, which feels consistent to how I've seen Hurt scum in the past.

Of the four I find him the most suspicious.

Cases/opinions on other people (plus repsonse to weekly font) will hopefully be coming soon over lunch break.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Poque posted:

Now you're putting me in a place where it will be scummy to make calls because they will seem reactionary.

A Town player should not care what other players think about their alignment.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Poque posted:

Well, it could actually be the case. And if I were to say that, would it matter if your content is genuine?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Murmur Twin posted:

Poque I'm null. His posts sound like they're coming from a town point of view, but seem like they're more focused on "who is town" over "who is scum", which makes me more suspicious regarding him than I am with Hal.

this is a better summary of what I was missing, thanks.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm null-leaning-town with Mac. Although there isn't much to go on, he sounds relaxed which implies town to me. He's someone I plan to re-read later pending future cases.

I disagree with this. The implication that he would do the funniest thing is that he would shoot himself with the gun, but he never outright comes out and says it. It would be very easy for him to get the gun as scum and then say "no this is what I meant" and shoot somebody else and blame us for misinterpreting his meaning. Combined with the immediate vote for PMom who says he'll shoot Grandi and I don't like Mac.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

merk posted:

A Town player should not care what other players think about their alignment.

Shouldn't, but do. I can't help that, it's my nature.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk, I'm going to tell you this now: I will not vote for Ernie today. I am sick and tired of lynching him on d1 all the time. I don't dislike your case.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

True and Real posted:

merk, I'm going to tell you this now: I will not vote for Ernie today. I am sick and tired of lynching him on d1 all the time. I don't dislike your case.

Hopefully Mills shoots him.

ninja: Would you vote Hal?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah, I'd probably be okay with voting Hal though I can't think of anything at the moment that makes me think he's scum actually

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

True and Real posted:

Well, it could actually be the case. And if I were to say that, would it matter if your content is genuine?

I have a meeting in 10 minutes, but after that I can put some effort into a re-read on the game and the players. If I do that, will you promise to first take what I post at face value before reading it as a reaction to being cased as non-participatory?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Poque posted:

I have a meeting in 10 minutes, but after that I can put some effort into a re-read on the game and the players. If I do that, will you promise to first take what I post at face value before reading it as a reaction to being cased as non-participatory?

I will treat your content like I would any other content produced in the game. I don't like at all that you're putting this in the light of me tunneling in on you and confirmation biasing. That isn't the case and never was. I agree with merk that it is a mark against you to be overly concerned with that anyway.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I don't think you're tunneling on me, you've got explicit opinions on a lot of people. That was strictly in response to you asking if it mattered or not if my content was genuine.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Murmur, I really like your points on Hurt. Normally he's pretty jokey but this feels different. He's making small points but the way he's phrasing his reads is very weak. It doesn't seem like he has any interest in pushing his opinion.

##vote Hurt

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mills posted:

I'd like to see opinions on why the following players are town or scum: LM, Hal, Hurt, Poque.

We should do this.

At this moment, I think the shoot order should be: LM (I think he's scum), Hurt (I can see the scum angle), Hal (a mystery and i have baseline suspicion of him from something he said today but i cant remember what haha), Poque (possibly scum but he's a proven quality poster so don't do it)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I kind of stumble over "Let's not give mills weapons." every time I reread that post by Hurt. It's an argument against arming him not based on alignment, but on his image as a dick?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I find it very curious, very curious indeed, that Mills doesn't want to shoot Somber. He's still mad at Somber in theory, right? Shouldn't Mills want to just knock him out? Hmmmmmmmmm

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:what:

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

True and Real posted:

I find it very curious, very curious indeed, that Mills doesn't want to shoot Somber. He's still mad at Somber in theory, right? Shouldn't Mills want to just knock him out? Hmmmmmmmmm

Where does Mills say that?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Where does Mills say that?

Mills posted:

I'd like to see opinions on why the following players are town or scum: LM, Hal, Hurt, Poque.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I don't think Poque is scum.

I can see the Hurt case. This might be a good shot.

I think anyone saying they have a read on LM is questionable; guy has no posts.

Hal is the scummiest of the bunch, but a Hurt shot might actually be better. That is, a Hal lynch probably would generate more content than a Hal vig or a Hurt lynch... if that makes sense. More clearly, there's more talk on Hurt right now than on Hal.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Sorry, explain this to me like I'm as stupid as you think I am. I'm not getting it.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I want everyone in the game to comment on those 4 players. Again, for those of you who need glitter and poo poo idk MARKETING here:

What do you think of the following players:

۩Little Mac
۞Hal
εїзDr. Hurt
Poque

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The part where Mills is meant to be mad at Somber and want to shoot him.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Why does that necessitate that Mills thinks I'm town?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Sorry, explain this to me like I'm as stupid as you think I am. I'm not getting it.

I don't think you're stupid! Believe me, I'd tell you if I thought you were stupid. You just recently did some stuff that happened to be wrong and imo stupid but that means nothing to your actual cool brain part.

Mills listed 4 people among which he wanted to pick his shot from. You were not listed among them. Eh?? EHH????

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

The part where Mills is meant to be mad at Somber and want to shoot him.

Oh, this was discussed at considerable length in The Breach. Somber knows whats up with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

Why does that necessitate that Mills thinks I'm town?

It doesn't? It's just odd he wouldn't even consider shooting you, yeah?

• Locked thread