Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Vegastar posted:

I still remember being like, 5 years old and 100%ing DKC. Finding that last secret room INSIDE another secret room was such a dick move. Maybe it's just nostalgia for me. I don't think I ever even really gave 3 a fair shake.

The bonus rooms in 1 were pretty bullshit compared to the other two games. They're only used to get lives and stuff like that in that game though, while bonus rooms in 2 and 3 are used to unlock secret levels.

There's no real reason to get 100% in DKC1 compared to the other two games.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

They are all great games and just pick one and play through it and then get to the others when you have time.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Forever I've been waiting for the DKC games to come out over a three-week span, and today without warning they all drop at once. This is great news but I will never comprehend Nintendo's VC scheduling.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
DKC3's great sin is that every single level has some kind of weird gimmick to it. There aren't enough "regular" levels to make the gimmicks feel fun.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Finally we get an awesome VC update. I'm still waiting on N64 games. NINTENDO LET ME PAY YOU SO THAT I CAN RELIVE MY CHILDHOOD AGAIN.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, there goes $30 to Nintendo for all 3 DKC's :(.

Add more Wii games though!!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Abu Dave posted:

Ugh, there goes $30 to Nintendo for all 3 DKC's :(.

Add more Wii games though!!

Aren't SNES games only $8 each?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was rounding up :colbert:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jivjov posted:

Aren't SNES games only $8 each?

Banana tax

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
With the New 3DS faster hardware being able to run Wii ports, can we finally get SNES VC games on 3DS?! Please?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sakurai (from Smash and Kid Icarus) discussed digital stores in the last Famitsu. Surprisingly, he was rather blunt about what a good digital shop should have:

quote:

“It’s become mandatory that each platform has its own built-in [digital] shop,” Sakurai began. “So among those, which online shop is superior and offers the most incentive to buy from it? I would answer, ‘Steam.'”

He continued, “When someone opens Steam, depending their purchase and viewing history, suggested titles pop up. And there are sales almost every day with massive deals. The changes vary, making me check in frequently.”

That praise continued, with Sakurai discussing Steam’s rating system, ease of searching through genre and theme tags, achievements, wish lists, bundles and the delivery of automatic updates.

“I write this because on varying levels, I have complaints with every other online shopping format,” he concluded. “While there are limitations for each platform, perhaps those in development of shopping apps could take a page from Steam’s playbook?”

Let us know when you are in charge of the eShop, Sakurai-san.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Based on Iwata's description of the divisions at Nintendo, I think the eShop is handled by the System Development Division, which Iwata heads himself. Sakurai should get him on the horn to chat about this.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
With like %10 sales tax yeah it comes to around $26.40.

I think I have two of those on Wii, so for me getting them will be $12.10

I wanna know why the hell the DKL games are $5 each though, game boy games are usually cheaper. I think the first two aren't even GBC games.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Seriously, digital game shops for each platform are all garbage compared to how easy to use Steam is. I spent like 10 minutes looking through the 3DS eShop last night to find the virtual console so I could see if there was anything I was interested in playing and it took me like 5 minutes to get to the end of the list just so I could grab Ninja Gaiden 1. Why can't everything be as user friendly as Steam?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The eshop doesn't have sales tax

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

jivjov posted:

The eshop doesn't have sales tax

I get taxed on stuff I buy on the eShop. It depends on your region/state.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Fremry posted:

Finally we get an awesome VC update. I'm still waiting on N64 games. NINTENDO LET ME PAY YOU SO THAT I CAN RELIVE MY CHILDHOOD AGAIN.

I own both physically and could have done it on the Wii but I want to play Starfox 64 and maybe Pokemon Snap on the gamepad.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
DK Land 3 was the one that was totally original and not a somewhat scaled down version of the SNES games right?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Artix posted:

DK Land 3 was the one that was totally original and not a somewhat scaled down version of the SNES games right?

None of them are terribly original. I think DKL 2 and 3 are more "Its like the SNES game but on a Game Boy" than DKL one is, that one has you collecting strange coins with DK and Diddy on them, there's giant rings with serve as level goals/halfway points. And I think collecting the Kong letters is what lets you save.

Also there are flying pigs.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 26, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ChaosArgate posted:

Seriously, digital game shops for each platform are all garbage compared to how easy to use Steam is. I spent like 10 minutes looking through the 3DS eShop last night to find the virtual console so I could see if there was anything I was interested in playing and it took me like 5 minutes to get to the end of the list just so I could grab Ninja Gaiden 1. Why can't everything be as user friendly as Steam?

Please don't forget that Steam was unusable garbage for like 5 years :cheeky:

But yeah Nintendy, Sony and MS all need to get their butts in gear like yesterday. The 3DS eshop and the PSN shop and the xbox live shop are all a hot mess.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Where the gently caress are my Kirby 3DS themes Nintendo everyone else has had them for weeks come the gently caress ON

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Is it possible to get games from other VCs on the Wii U or 3DS?

I've been informed that Bubble Bobble exists on the Wii U/3DS VC in Japan, but not the US. I know it's available on Wii, but that has its own host of downsides I'll skip if I can get it on Wii U somehow.

We're never getting any Square-Enix games, are we
:suicide:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Then Square might realize there's a market for DQ games over here, so no.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm glad these Donkey Kong games are all out today so no one accidentally spends their $10 on Titan Attacks.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Artix posted:

The DKC games have not and never will be Rare's games. Everything created for them has been used and reused even after Rare's sale, including the Kremlings in one of the Mario Strikers games.

Kiddy Kong hasn´t

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

jivjov posted:

DKC3's great sin is that every single level has some kind of weird gimmick to it. There aren't enough "regular" levels to make the gimmicks feel fun.

Yeah, but if you played DKC 1 and 2, it's an interesting and, to me, fun change of pace.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

less laughter posted:

Kiddy Kong hasn´t

That's because Kiddy Kong is poo poo

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Willo567 posted:

That's because Kiddy Kong is poo poo

Kiddy Kong is adrokable, you brute.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

John Lee posted:

Yeah, but if you played DKC 1 and 2, it's an interesting and, to me, fun change of pace.

Oh I'm by no means ragging on DKC3 too hard; I love it. I have a VHS tape from when I was a kid where I taped myself beating all the bosses (oh god, I was going a Let's Play for an audience of 1...). It just feels a bit disconnected from 1 and 2 due to gimmick frenzy.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Surlaw posted:

I'm glad these Donkey Kong games are all out today so no one accidentally spends their $10 on Titan Attacks.

Holy poo poo are they serious with that price? I got it free on PS+ and might recommend it for a buck if someone was looking for something Space Invaders-y.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Turns out you still get the discount on Tropical Freeze if you just do the 1.50 upgrade to Wii U for one of the DKC games.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

deadwing posted:

Holy poo poo are they serious with that price? I got it free on PS+ and might recommend it for a buck if someone was looking for something Space Invaders-y.

It's worth one dollar max, yeah. It feels like a "Build a Space Invaders game" class project that technically works but is absolutely flavorless. (It's up to $12 on PSN somehow now too)

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 26, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Justin_Brett posted:

Then Square might realize there's a market for DQ games over here, so no.
They are bringing a DQ game to US but of course it's the Musou one so it doesnt really count

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Surlaw posted:

It's worth one dollar max, yeah. It feels like a "Build a Space Invaders game" class project that technically works but is absolutely flavorless. (It's up to $12 on PSN somehow now too)

Near as drat it. I got Titan Attacks, Revenge of the Titans, Ultratron and Droid Assault in some kind of Puppy Games 4-pack for $10. I like all of them except Revenge (nothing wrong with it, I just don't care for tower defence), but that is a ridiculous price for such simple games. Individually they were $10 on Steam at release as well, so I have a feeling that it might be Puppy Games that is a bit full of poo poo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kiddy Kong can bounce on water. Can you bounce on water? That's what I loving thought.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Donkey Kong can bounce on water in Tropical Freeze as long as he has a Friend.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Chunky is basically Kiddy, but good

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Phantasium posted:

Kiddy Kong can bounce on water. Can you bounce on water? That's what I loving thought.

Yeah he's basically Ape Jesus.

His big brother Chunky also owns, they should have their own spinoff series à la the Mario & Luigi rpgs.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I definitely hate the 3DS eShop. It's so hard to find anything.

Anybody have any 3DS recommendations? I'm really not into jrpgs or really most rpgs in general. I've played a bunch of the first party games (Star Fox, Kirby triple deluxe, Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pilotwings, MK7, DK Returns). The OP in the 3DS thread isn't particularly helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Fremry posted:

I definitely hate the 3DS eShop. It's so hard to find anything.

Anybody have any 3DS recommendations? I'm really not into jrpgs or really most rpgs in general. I've played a bunch of the first party games (Star Fox, Kirby triple deluxe, Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time, A Link Between Worlds, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pilotwings, MK7, DK Returns). The OP in the 3DS thread isn't particularly helpful.

The eShop-only Sega 3D Classics line is fantastic if you like Sega's arcade and Genesis output. In particular, 3D Galaxy Force II is excellent. It's a bit shallow, since its original selling point was the huge motion arcade cabinet, but it's still fun and the 3D adds a lot to the game, and the developer M2 added a ton of options, including things to help ease the difficulty of the game, and a silly but awesome mode that attempts to recreate the experience of actually playing the game in one of those motion cabinets, complete with sound effects of the motors and such recorded from an actual machine.

M2 puts a lot of effort in to each one of them, even Altered Beast.