Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Nasgate posted:

I'll be honest. I forgot they're bretton. They die just as fast as nords and look just as similar to imperials.

The man races really need an appearance rework.

Reachmen, actually! :viggo:.

Nah, yes, they ARE bretons in-lore and in-game, High Rock Bretons just don't like being compared to their cousins. Like if you called an englishman scottish he might take offense, except in this case the scottish are demon-worshipping savages who murder anyone who crosses their path and isn't of their race, carving weapons from the bones of their enemies and using dark magics to bind themselves to horrible bird-women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Please do not refer to Reachmen as "savages" as that is problematic.

They are a proud poorly written peoples who replace their hearts with acorns and love death.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

I dunno, I imagine the actual Thalmor grunts are just the same old Summerset troops with a sweet new paintjob, fighting for Mer independence and freedom from taxes or whatever. It's only when you get to the actual leaders that they understand anything beyond 'humans made us mortal :argh:'. And the more feuding factions (Empire included) the more interesting the story becomes.

Well Thalmor is the Nazi party for Summerset Isle's Germany.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sky Shadowing posted:

Nah, yes, they ARE bretons in-lore and in-game, High Rock Bretons just don't like being compared to their cousins. Like if you called an englishman scottish he might take offense, except in this case the scottish are demon-worshipping savages who murder anyone who crosses their path and isn't of their race, carving weapons from the bones of their enemies and using dark magics to bind themselves to horrible bird-women.

So... Scotsmen?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Reachmen are awesome, and the most Elven of all the Bretons. Really wanted to lead the Forsworn rebellion with Faolan's sword in Skyrim.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

A.o.D. posted:

The forsworn were mostly bretons, but they were very open minded as to whom they would let join them, so yeah you should have been able to join them in Skyrim. If it wasn't for the facg that they were murderous daedra worshippers, they could have come across as heroic rebels.

Dibella is a Daedra now?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Dibella is a Daedra now?

Mankar Camoran speaks the truth! She is daedroth! TAMRIEL AE DAEDROTH!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

So... Scotsmen?

I just want to say that I had personally set an under/over of 4 posts before someone posted this, and I had bet the under.

FutonForensic posted:

Mankar Camoran speaks the truth! She is daedroth! TAMRIEL AE DAEDROTH!

For all Oblivion's faults, MC's speech at the end inspired a HUGE amount of lore debate that I look back fondly on.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Reachmen, actually! :viggo:.

Hey now, reachmen are very tolerant of non-Nords.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Nasgate posted:

I'll be honest. I forgot they're bretton. They die just as fast as nords and look just as similar to imperials.

The man races really need an appearance rework.

Not really. Bretons are half-elves and you can tell especially in Skyrim that they are elven. Nords and Imperials are usually distinguishable by general 'roughness' and features as well as height. It makes sense for mer to differ greatly, men, not so much.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Berke Negri posted:

Please do not refer to Reachmen as "savages" as that is problematic.

They are a proud poorly written peoples who replace their hearts with acorns and love death.
I think they could have had potential had they not just been another mindless enemy to hack and slash your way through while travelling between cities. They're certainly no more or less poorly written than the rest of the convoluted Elder Scrolls lore (which I unashamedly adore, but come on).

I just really want to become a Hagraven.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Having most forsworn stay hostile mindless enemies for you even after you pick the pro-forsworn choice in the Markarth quest was a weird decision.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Lycus posted:

Having most forsworn stay hostile mindless enemies for you even after you pick the pro-forsworn choice in the Markarth quest was a weird decision.
I guess one could imagine that this drives home the fact that although the Forsworn are downtrodden natives, they are also fanatical isolationists who will never accept any outsiders living in what they believe is their land.

But it's probably just :effort:

basalt fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 17, 2015

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I was playing through the Battle of Whiterun and a dragon attacked during the battle. It's so ham-handed a demonstration of the pointlessness of the civil war, I'm surprised Bethesda didn't put it in on purpose. Also due to my habit during the battle of being near enemy Stormcloaks a lot and the dragon's habit of launching massive AOE attacks at me constantly, it killed more Stormcloaks than all other causes combined, easily.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

So here is a question I ask about Arena every five years or so. I started the game twice when it was new and at roughly the same time each game (having collected about half of the staff pieces) I would sleep in an inn and the game would cut to a sequence where an assassin and/or evil spirit killed me in my sleep. Game over.

What was up with that?

The best feature missing from subsequent games was the walk through walls spell.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

1 800 J JAMES posted:

The best feature missing from subsequent games was the walk through walls spell.

They still have that, you just have to use CHIM to type ~tcl.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

1 800 J JAMES posted:

So here is a question I ask about Arena every five years or so. I started the game twice when it was new and at roughly the same time each game (having collected about half of the staff pieces) I would sleep in an inn and the game would cut to a sequence where an assassin and/or evil spirit killed me in my sleep. Game over.

What was up with that?

Either floating heads will tell you that they are sent through a dream connection or something.

Or because you were doing a quest where you would be attacked by someone if you sleep.

I don't even like Arena, I just played it up to the Skyrim part maybe I could recognise parts of it in the game itself. Labyrinthian was in, but the Fortress of Ice was not.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I really want to play Morrowind or Oblivion or Skyrim but I gave my 360 away and my motherboard is being, uh, unresponsive.

Thanks, thread

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

omg chael crash posted:

I really want to play Morrowind or Oblivion or Skyrim but I gave my 360 away and my motherboard is being, uh, unresponsive.

Thanks, thread

Good news! There's an Oblivion game for mobile.

Speaking of, has anyone here played the travel games?

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Nasgate posted:

Good news! There's an Oblivion game for mobile.

Speaking of, has anyone here played the travel games?

Played the hell out of that in class in HS

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

Did that Mod History site get a backup of everything on Planet Elder Scrolls or something? I was amazed to find my terrible little mod from 2006 on there which I think was the first thing I ever made for any game.
Are they planning on doing anything similar for Oblivion mods? I think I uploaded some stuff for that that wasn't total "my first mod" trash and it'd be nice to see them again.

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

Cerebulon posted:

Did that Mod History site get a backup of everything on Planet Elder Scrolls or something? I was amazed to find my terrible little mod from 2006 on there which I think was the first thing I ever made for any game.
Are they planning on doing anything similar for Oblivion mods? I think I uploaded some stuff for that that wasn't total "my first mod" trash and it'd be nice to see them again.

They got everything they could when it was announced Planet Elder Scrolls was going down. Nothing like that for Oblivion though. Several minor Oblivion mod sites have died, and if you're super lucky you can get it through the wayback machine, or one of the russian sites. People just don't care as much about Oblivion.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I had forgotten that TES Travels existed, so I had to add them to the OP just because I could.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Sky Shadowing posted:

I had forgotten that TES Travels existed, so I had to add them to the OP just because I could.

Just a quick search revealed a couple websites with free java games that had them. Idk how legit they are and how fun emulating the appropriate java would be.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I decided to play through Skyrim again.

Does the Thalmor have any redeeming qualities. They just seem to be arrogant dicks stomping all over Skyrim demanding that everyone stop worshiping Thalos and once in a while death march some poor guy for no reason.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

The Aldmeri Dominion probably hold some appeal for Mer, but the Thalmor are just full on fascist secret police to everyone.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Well, they...

Uh... well, there was that time that they, wait, no...

I guess no, they're pretty horrible. Horrible in a "love to hate" way. Not horrible as in a terrible idea, I think they're a wonderful idea.

Davoren posted:

The Aldmeri Dominion probably hold some appeal for Mer, but the Thalmor are just full on fascist secret police to everyone.

Not so simply. The Thalmor are like the Nazis, and I'm not referring to the obvious way of Evil, I mean in that they're the ruling party, and the only party. Everyone in power is a member, but not everyone in the Dominion is a member.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 26, 2015

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

Well, they...

Uh... well, there was that time that they, wait, no...

I guess no, they're pretty horrible. Horrible in a "love to hate" way. Not horrible as in a terrible idea, I think they're a wonderful idea.

Not so simply. The Thalmor are like the Nazis, and I'm not referring to the obvious way of Evil, I mean in that they're the ruling party, and the only party. Everyone in power is a member, but not everyone in the Dominion is a member.

They are also the third incarnation of the Dominion to have risen up. Not to mention their stylish clothes, their desire for racial purity....

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

axolotl farmer posted:

Does the Thalmor have any redeeming qualities.

They have a lot of nice gear you can loot from their corpses that, gee I just don't know how they got there officer, and sell for a tidy profit. :shrug:

Rhjamiz posted:

They are also the third incarnation of the Dominion to have risen up. Not to mention their stylish clothes, their desire for racial purity....

The Elder Scrolls Discussion: Thalmor are literally Hitler

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I feel bad because on one hand the stormcloaks are racist as gently caress, on the other hand, literally hitler

So it's a battle between the KKK and the Nazis.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

C'mon, the Dragonborn winds up in charge of just about any group they encounter at all. Guilds, colleges, whatever. Whether via the Dragonborn joining the Empire or the Stormcloak side, longterm gotta figure Skyrim and Cyrodiil will both bow the Dragonborn, in whichever order and under whatever title, eventually.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

chairface posted:

C'mon, the Dragonborn winds up in charge of just about any group they encounter at all. Guilds, colleges, whatever. Whether via the Dragonborn joining the Empire or the Stormcloak side, longterm gotta figure Skyrim and Cyrodiil will both bow the Dragonborn, in whichever order and under whatever title, eventually.

Because things have always worked out so well for a province after its game is over, right?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Superstring posted:

Because things have always worked out so well for a province after its game is over, right?

happy endings stopped after daggerfall.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Man Whore posted:

happy endings stopped after daggerfall.

When the timelines merged, the 'areas in between', i.e. halfway between Daggerfall and Wayrest as an example, were destroyed because that was just the way it was, man.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I feel bad because on one hand the stormcloaks are racist as gently caress, on the other hand, literally hitler

Support the Empire.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

For a really fun time go to lurk around Stormfront's gaming threads and marvel at how much they absolutely adore everything to do with Ulfric and the Stormcloaks.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Pikestaff posted:

For a really fun time go to lurk around Stormfront's gaming threads and marvel at how much they absolutely adore everything to do with Ulfric and the Stormcloaks.

I would like to not be added to the NSA's watch list thank you.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I'd say more KKK vs Vichy France.

If you do a full support Empire run, the General guy outright says "Time to take the fight to the Thalmor. And we have a Dragonborn now! This should be easy.".

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Pikestaff posted:

I always support the Empire anyways (see my avatar), but the fact that Stormfront supports Ulfric is not something I expected to hear but also the one thing that justifies my eternal Imperialness :cryingempiresmily:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

axolotl farmer posted:

I decided to play through Skyrim again.

Does the Thalmor have any redeeming qualities. They just seem to be arrogant dicks stomping all over Skyrim demanding that everyone stop worshiping Thalos and once in a while death march some poor guy for no reason.

Well, their goal is to end the world and unmake creation. If you're down with that I imagine that is redeeming.

Edit: speaking of Daggerfall, its interesting how much hay is made over Cyrodiil not being a jungle in the second era in ESO but High Rock being Warp of the West'd retroactively is a criticism I've yet to see.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 27, 2015