Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

I think Hal traded his stones for a demon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Big Nothing posted:

I think Hal traded his stones for a demon

That is correct! Demon is MUCH better than some stupid stones.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Good morning! I'm trying to read over this game with a fresh set of eyes.

Meinberg

First off, it's been awhile since the two of us have Mafia'd together, but he was one of the first people I ever thought I had figured out a meta on. When he is comfortable and just being himself he is polite and wordy; when he's lying or concealing the truth he is short and curt. I'm not a huge fan of meta cases and my reads on him is months old - I'm just bringing that up because it's what I was looking for when I was reading over his posts.

Casing Met:

Meinberg posted:

Oh man, I forgot about Met. I suppose that's a problem of these especially large games, it's easy for players to get lost in the shuffle.

##vote Met

^post made on February 16

Meinberg posted:

Good joke

##vote Met

Meinberg posted:

I agree that Ernie very well could be a member of the Law team.

I think Met is worse at the moment, but I'm willing to vote Ernie.

Meinberg posted:

On-topic: I continue to find Met's tone aggravating and his arguments facile.

Meinberg posted:

Huh, that's actually pretty clever!

Personally, I think Met is the scummiest of your list, but I might just be biased against him. I'm still rereading through things with the flips in mind, but I'll take a more careful look at Met when I'm done.

Meinberg posted:

Taste seemed very eager to get my vote off of Mills/Met at the end of D1. I'll keep that in mind as I look at Met.

^post made on February 25. For 9 days Meinberg has been suspicious of Met but has made 0 effort to explain why or convince anyone else that Met is scum. He never even asks Met any questions to try and prove if he's right, he just throws out votes and promises to explain them later. This screams to me that this opinion is manufactured.

In fact, none of his cases or votes really have any conviction or explanation behind them. He prods other people for questions but never takes a strong stance on anything:

Meinberg posted:

Bowmore, who is scum and why?

Goku, who do you think is scum?

I feel like Mills is being ~disingenuous.~ Which is to say that his tone sounds fake to me.

Looking back over Toaster's history and it's bad, but it's newbie bad not scum bad.

I guess I could vote capps. He's a Mafia treasure, so I'd be sad to see him go, but his content this game has been suspiciously low.

I haven't read PMom as carefully this game. There seems like a lot more noise from her thus far.

I agree that Ernie very well could be a member of the Law team.

I think Met is worse at the moment, but I'm willing to vote Ernie.

Little Mac certainly doesn't look good in review, but there's not a lot to go on either. At this time, I'd rather go after someone who I think is scum and who has been more active in the game.

(re: EXAKT) Good thing it's not a case then! It's more of a proto-case, a seed of suspicion that can grow into a full case with further examination. You very well could be telling the truth about your motivation, but without further examination there is no way I can tell whether you are lying or not.

Looking over it I feel more sure about Meinberg than anyone else at the moment. ##vote Meinberg

Meinberg - who do you think is scum and why?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Murmur Twin posted:

Meinberg

Meinberg - who do you think is scum and why?

You're right that I haven't been engaging with good reads as much as I should. I'm sorry about that, and I'm currently doing a, albeit slow, re-read with the flips in mind to see what jumps out at me.

Right now, I feel most strongly that Met is scum, though that is largely going off of my gut. Taste's interaction with me due to my Met vote, and Met's behavior with regard to Rurea's gambit stand out as particularly scummy.

Also, as a general rule I tend to not to act with high conviction. I'm a roiling mass of self-doubt, and that reflects in my play style.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Hey Met and Diqnol, are your demons stronger or weaker than shall we say.....A 1-shot watcher?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Big Nothing posted:

Hey Met and Diqnol, are your demons stronger or weaker than shall we say.....A 1-shot watcher?

My demon got messed up in its fusion actually, so weaker.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Big Nothing posted:

I have no demon.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Meinberg

May I get some opinions from others re: this post? I feel pretty solid about this read.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Murmur Twin posted:

May I get some opinions from others re: this post? I feel pretty solid about this read.

If I went after everybody that said I was scum then there wouldn't be anyone left to vote with me.

In a game that starts with 25 people, it's not a terrible plan to go after people who aren't posting all that much. I don't blame him but I'm not seeing anything particularly damning in what he's doing. He probably should grill me directly though. That's the only thing that bothers me about his method, but it doesn't scream "scum" to me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Met posted:

If I went after everybody that said I was scum then there wouldn't be anyone left to vote with me.

In a game that starts with 25 people, it's not a terrible plan to go after people who aren't posting all that much. I don't blame him but I'm not seeing anything particularly damning in what he's doing. He probably should grill me directly though. That's the only thing that bothers me about his method, but it doesn't scream "scum" to me.

To be clear: it's not that he suspects you, it's that he doesn't have any interest in (a) convincing other people to lynch you or (b) asking you questions to prove his case right or wrong.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Murmur Twin posted:

The problem I have with it is that I'd really need to buy into your read of Meinberg's meta, which I'm not immediately convinced by. The thing about his posts I find most off is him suggesting Met is scumbos with Mills/Taste when it's a pretty safe bet all the Law team is dead now.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Murmur Twin posted:

Rarity posted:

The problem I have with it is that I'd really need to buy into your read of Meinberg's meta, which I'm not immediately convinced by. The thing about his posts I find most off is him suggesting Met is scumbos with Mills/Taste when it's a pretty safe bet all the Law team is dead now.

Rarity said exactly what I was going to say. :(
Except the part about betting the Law team is dead. That's a risky assumption and setup speculation is worthless.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Rarity posted:

To be clear: it's not that he suspects Met, or anything dependent on his meta, it's that he doesn't have any interest in (a) convincing other people to lynch Met or (b) asking you questions to prove his case right or wrong.

This felt open-and-shut to me earlier today and now I feel like I'm the weird one for thinking this.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I am horribly neglecting this thread. When I get home, I promise to do better.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

True and Real posted:

I am horribly neglecting this thread. When I get home, I promise to do better.

How dare you lurk, Diqnol!

For shame!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Murmur Twin posted:

To be clear: it's not that he suspects Met, or anything dependent on his meta, it's that he doesn't have any interest in (a) convincing other people to lynch Met or (b) asking you questions to prove his case right or wrong.

This felt open-and-shut to me earlier today and now I feel like I'm the weird one for thinking this.

To me that's more in line with the Meinberg meta I know, which is just floating through the game, giving opinions here and there but not making an effort to engage with other players or push his opinions too hard.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Rurea posted:

Except the part about betting the Law team is dead. That's a risky assumption and setup speculation is worthless.
I said it earlier, but I have personal reasons to believe law team is no longer a threat to humanity

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

How dare you lurk, Diqnol!

For shame!

I'm not, though! I'm just not giving it the snuggles I should.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gonna be honest, I've lost interest in this game. Still got money I haven't been able to spend, it's lame.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Met posted:

I have no demon.

Whoops, must of meant to type Hal. Hal, is your demon weaker or stronger than a 1-shot watcher?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

##unvote

Murmur Twin posted:

my only game as scum i tunnelled on someone but i'd expect Meinberg to be better than that

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

bowmore posted:

Gonna be honest, I've lost interest in this game. Still got money I haven't been able to spend, it's lame.

bowmore I will spend your money send it to me tonight.

Big Nothing posted:

Whoops, must of meant to type Hal. Hal, is your demon weaker or stronger than a 1-shot watcher?

Ummm... I am not sure what scale we would use for this but I would say it was stronger?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

##vote Dugong

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

##vote Dugong

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why Dugong?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rarity posted:

Why Dugong?

He really hasn't said poo poo for 3 days. And I trust my friend Trill

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm already on him and happy to stay there

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Okay, resuming my re-read. I'm sorry, but Met continues to jump out at me as scummy.

Met posted:

Is this Capps or Capps trying to sound like Capps?

:ms:

Like, this is kinda jokey, but capps was getting some heat for his "Chaos might be 3P" post, so I'm not sure how I should be taking it.

Met posted:

-HiipFire. 11 posts. Much more active in his other game.
-PMush - Bad arguments for votes, plus the "I only skimmed, forgot the deadline" post.
-True and Real - Breadcrumbing Good Alignment 3P so hard I'm convinced he's scum or Evil 3P. Speaks in riddles half the time for no reason. Lot of white noise.

And there's this post which is like... terrible. I don't deny that it could just be low effort (which I certainly understand as well as anyone), but those are some terrible cases.

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Based off Dr Hurt's interactions with Met, in regards to 'who would you vig game', is it safe to say that Met is a good guy? The interactions between the both of them strike me as genuine

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Big Nothing posted:

Based off Dr Hurt's interactions with Met, in regards to 'who would you vig game', is it safe to say that Met is a good guy? The interactions between the both of them strike me as genuine

I just got there, and it actually feels a little forced to me. That could just be on account of Hurt being scum, though.

True and Real posted:

##vote Dugong

What's up, Diqnol? Dugong has been a bit under the radar from everything I've come across so far.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I wouldn't mind voting for Met, but I'm feeling Dugong. It's been a long standing sentiment so, uh, actually, I don't remember why at the moment! Allow me to refresh my memory.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Dugong posted:

Hey Dr. Hurt after considering, if I had 1 vig I would shoot Toaster today.

##vote AT

I am available for more games but am going out to a funky jazz and soul night.

Okay, just saw this post and I'm like "what?"

Hurt never a said word to Dugong this entire game.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Okay, I've finished the re-read, but I think I need to sleep on things. I will interpret my dreams and get right back to you guys.

Also, I've been waking up at like 4am for the last couple weeks so welp.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Meinberg posted:

Okay, I've finished the re-read, but I think I need to sleep on things. I will interpret my dreams and get right back to you guys.

Also, I've been waking up at like 4am for the last couple weeks so welp.

This can work.

I once had a dream that capps was scum.

Then he was.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Asiina posted:

This can work.

I once had a dream that capps was scum.

Then he was.

He was just a nice man concerned about teenagers' sexual health :smith:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

How do I determine between lazy town and scum pls help

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rurea posted:

Lazy scum?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Rurea posted:

~meta~

okay good night

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Rurea posted:

Power roles and lynches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina