Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
gently caress the Trap Lord......I'm the Dope Lord.
This goes too hard, I'm dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVNlbe2kXP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Audio rip of all day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDzZDo3sZQ

in the live performance he brought about 50 assorted grime mcs on stage with him which is kind of interesting

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

in the live performance he brought about 50 assorted grime mcs on stage with him which is kind of interesting

:eyepop:

Need some grime in my ye

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Farm Frenzy posted:

Audio rip of all day https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDzZDo3sZQ

That's the old version

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/02/kanye-west-debuts-ferocious-new-song-all-day-watch/

has the performance version.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

woah he actually shouts out skepta at the end

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Also the verse on All your Fault on dark sky paradise where big Sean and Kanye switch every second line is very cool and how Watch the Throne should have worked.

Yeah. plus he and Pusha T did that on New God Flow which is easily my favorite song on Cruel Summer

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

temple posted:

gently caress the Trap Lord......I'm the Dope Lord.
This goes too hard, I'm dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVNlbe2kXP4

owns

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Dude sure picks some different choices to work with. Allan Kingdom appearing was sure unexpected (I believe he's one of the dudes in thestand4rd with spooky black, had a decent album last year or so). Also Kanye working with grime cats could def be interesting.

I've never been shy about my thoughts that Kanye is the best but it's impressive how dude's career has developed. Really excited for the album.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i dont even like big sean all that much but that fantano review was loving retarded

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Hey goons, I can't find the lyrics for... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ahFJmFcY98

¿Anyone got em?

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Allan Kingdom went from rapping with Spooky Black to Kanye in like two months.

I'm curious as to which artists were on stage.

More Allan Kingdom though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4WwcJUhkXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbW1_ZdWon4

im gay fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 26, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

drat. That's awesome

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Me when posting in here

New Rich Gang:
http://www.stereogum.com/1783650/rich-homie-quan-young-thug-my-homie/mp3s/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress Rich Gang. We got Fat Gang up in this bitch.

Fat Boys live on.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

new cannibal ox album

https://soundcloud.com/ihiphop-distribution/sets/cannibal-ox-blade-of-the-ronin

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Their swords aren't sharp. I know people give EL-P a lot of credit for Cold Vein but their rhymes is what did it for me. This is a good example of why good acts fall off. I always get into arguments about how record labels supposedly screw artists over but how many artists just fall off on their own?

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

i mean it's been fifteen years of course it's not as good as a stone-cold classic like the cold vein.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Peewee Longway's Blue M&M2 review: it's pretty good. The highs aren't as high as on the first one. Nothing really touching Juice, Switcharoo, or Energy Kit (the second best mother-appreciation song after Tupac's Dear Mama. Hey Mama is good but c'mon). But it does have some really good standouts. Longway - the first song, Rich Homie Quan was put on this earth to bless choruses. Purpose is really good. Good Crack is awesome, great chorus good beat and Yo Gotti is fine but an afterthought like everything he's ever done p much. Deja Vu is good too. Songs with Thug are good too obv.

My unbiased score: 10/10

__________________/

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Cool and good. posted:

i mean it's been fifteen years of course it's not as good as a stone-cold classic like the cold vein.
That's an excuse. Why not be better? Different? Evolved? Why sounds the same but worse after 15 years? Do artists have an expiration date?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Excuse, yes, but to be fair it's pretty rare for an artist (much less group of artists) to make good music that is consistently improving for 15 years straight... I can't really think of anyone like that but there are probably a couple of examples

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

thathonkey posted:

Excuse, yes, but to be fair it's pretty rare for an artist (much less group of artists) to make good music that is consistently improving for 15 years straight... I can't really think of anyone like that but there are probably a couple of examples

Kanye West.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thathonkey posted:

Try 25 years

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Puseklepp posted:

Kanye West.

Has not been consistently improving

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

thathonkey posted:

Has not been consistently improving

His music has evolved and is consistently great. If you mean improving strictly in the sense that every new album is undisputably better than the last, then yeah.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

That's an excuse. Why not be better? Different? Evolved? Why sounds the same but worse after 15 years? Do artists have an expiration date?

They weren't that good to start with. The reason people talk about El-P's production is because they realized they carried it. Vordul and Vast Aire were decent on Can Ox, but it wouldn't have been remembered 1/100th as much without the production setting everything up.

Have you listened to any of their solo projects? Vast Aire was at best a slightly-above average punchline rapper, and Vordul's solo poo poo straight sucked.

And to your larger point, it's extremely rare for artists in any genre to consistently release good music, or innovate or evolve at all. That's why most of the ones you do hear about are exceptional.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

They weren't that good to start with. The reason people talk about El-P's production is because they realized they carried it. Vordul and Vast Aire were decent on Can Ox, but it wouldn't have been remembered 1/100th as much without the production setting everything up.

Have you listened to any of their solo projects? Vast Aire was at best a slightly-above average punchline rapper, and Vordul's solo poo poo straight sucked.

And to your larger point, it's extremely rare for artists in any genre to consistently release good music, or innovate or evolve at all. That's why most of the ones you do hear about are exceptional.
You are denying the lyricism on Cold Vein.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Puseklepp posted:

His music has evolved and is consistently great. If you mean improving strictly in the sense that every new album is undisputably better than the last, then yeah.

Well yeah, i love Kanye, he's a once in a lifetime type of artist and rightfully an icon now but some of his albums just arent that great. My argument was simply that there really arent any artists across all genres - not just rap - with a sustained career that is always on the up.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

thathonkey posted:

Well yeah, i love Kanye, he's a once in a lifetime type of artist and rightfully an icon now but some of his albums just arent that great. My argument was simply that there really arent any artists across all genres - not just rap - with a sustained career that is always on the up.

Only group I can think of that was always on the up is the death metal band Bolt Thrower. Other than them everyone ends up loving something up.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

You are denying the lyricism on Cold Vein.

They're great on there, but it's the production that makes the album. The production on there makes a lot of punchlines that would veer towards corny sound clever/deep, and gives weight to a lot of the more generic street/braggadocio stuff they're doing. Like "Pigeons" is one of my fav rap songs ever and a lot of it is due to Vordul/Vast but that was an anomaly.

Like I said, if they're so amazing at rapping, how come literally nothing else they did was anywhere near as good (coincidentally, that was the only project they got El-P production).

It's why I didn't have any hopes whatsoever for the new album. It's not even like it's someone like Lif or Aceyalone or whoever is coming back-Can Ox wasn't nearly as good without El-P.

Cobra Commander posted:

Only group I can think of that was always on the up is the death metal band Bolt Thrower. Other than them everyone ends up loving something up.
Kanye hasn't made an album that isn't classic. Outkast was at that point until they made that stupid soundtrack (then of course broke up), Tribe had nothing but amazing until Love Movement (then broke up). I mean I'm sure one day Kanye will make an album that's not one of the best ever, and that will be a sad day but that day hasn't come yet.

I'd say David Bowie never had a bad album if you somehow were able to eliminate everything from the 80's.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Feb 27, 2015

temple
Jul 29, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Like I said, if they're so amazing at rapping, how come literally nothing else they did was anywhere near as good (coincidentally, that was the only project they got El-P production).
You aren't disagreeing with me. My point is exactly that, how can they can from the Cold Vein and their new project? Bringing up El-P is deflecting from the point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How can the Can can?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

thathonkey posted:

Led Zepplin.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

bows1 posted:

Led Zepplin.

Are you fuckin kiddin me?

Also it's ridiculous to say every one of Kanye's albums is a classic. Come back down to earth pls

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cobra Commander posted:

Bolt Thrower didn't consistently improve. They were always pretty much the same. It's cool that they refuse to make another album unless they think it will top their last, though.

First band to fit this criteria off the top of my head is At the Drive-In. Nobody with more than a decade of longevity could pull that off though.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

thathonkey posted:

Are you fuckin kiddin me?

Also it's ridiculous to say every one of Kanye's albums is a classic. Come back down to earth pls

You don't think Led Zepplin consistently improved their whole career?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

thathonkey posted:

No I think this is actually the case.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bows1 posted:

You don't think Led Zepplin consistently improved their whole career?

You think their best album is In Through the Out Door?

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Wezlar posted:

No I think this is actually the case.

808s is literally an embarrassment but even if it didnt exist you would still be wrong

temple
Jul 29, 2006

40 lbs to freedom posted:

808s is literally an embarrassment but even if it didnt exist you would still be wrong

808s is the most influential hiphop rnb album in the past 10 years

edit: And it isn't about subjective 'good'. The Shabazz palaces guy is an example of someone that has changed and grown. I don't care for it but he's not doing a piss weak imitation of digable planets.

temple fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Henchman of Santa posted:

You think their best album is In Through the Out Door?

Yeah I guess you are right. But through Physical Graffiti they are all increasingly amazing.

Also 808's is perfect.