Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gaunab posted:

Things that start long tangents of discussion in this thread:

Looper
Harry Potter
Lord Of The Rings
Star Wars
Back To The Future

I can't tell if you're saying this to complain or be witty but if it's the former, that's not really a bad thing is it? Looper is the only one of those that causes any actual dumb shitflinging and that's because it's just so divisive in concept. PYF is the least forum-y of the child boards but in-depth discussion is still possible. If it's the latter then I mean I guess you're not wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ElGroucho posted:

Your explanation is the only one that makes sense. Why isn't everyone chasing that one stupid ball?

It's too bad, because I'm sure a true sports fan could count up with a pretty awesome wizard game.
There was a card game based on Quidditch that one of my cousins got for Christmas one year, and it really all came down to the snitch because it was worth so many points, but we found that if you adjusted the scoring then it actually turned into a pretty decent game. I imagine the same would be true of actual Quidditch.

mng posted:

House points are equally useless. The gently caress do they even do? This childrens book series is irritating me irrationally.
The same thing they do in real schools - nothing.

theironjef posted:

Yeah, that always seemed dumb. Like what was stopping Snape from just saying "Oh yeah, well a million loving points for Slytherin, game over no backsies!" at the end.
The same thing that would stop him from doing that in a real school - technically nothing, but it's just not done. Especially when the principal clearly wants Gryffindor to win.

Zaphod42 posted:

House points are also wildly inconsistent. I don't remember exactly, but I seem to remember the first book somebody like saves somebody's life and its like "hey 10 points" then by the last book its like "I don't like the look of Potter's T-shirt today, minus 2000 points" :v:
Again, same as in a real school. Because you can get points for all sorts of completely unrelated things there's no objective way to sort out what a point is worth, so it comes down to whatever the teacher handing them out thinks is reasonable. And if one teacher starts handing out higher amounts, other teachers will try to balance it out by givjng more points for their things, which creates a feedback loop whre more and more points get handed out until someone realises what's going on and resets the system with new guidelines, which start the process over again.

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh.... hello, are there no other wizards? Why the gently caress doesn't Dumbledore like phone up the US wizards college and be like "poo poo you guys, Voldemort is back, we kinda need your help here."

Rowling acts like magic is unique to the UK for some weird loving reason. But then she mentions that wizards travel all over the Earth to hunt dragons and poo poo (why wouldn't they?) Even if wizards were only English for some weird biological reason, you'd think a few of them would decide to move away at some point! Or have kids or something. I mean gently caress, seriously?
The wizard world just seems to be really insular. Wizards who go travelling go to unexplored places and hunt dragons and stuff, but they don't go to other countries.

Jerusalem posted:

Hel, you'd think Ron and Harry would be too interested in trying to bone Hermione and Ginny to be overly concerned about fake points in a meaningless competition for bragging rights.
There were definitely still people who cared about house points at my school by year 10.

Jedit posted:

The stupidest thing about the houses at Hogwarts is that they are literally the good guys, the bad guys, the one with the silly name and the other one. Also all the Death Eaters were Slytherin. So the wizards not only know who their enemies are, but they have a foolproof method of sorting out all future enemies before they learn magic.
Every evil wizard was in Slytherin, but not everyone in Slytherin will become an evil wizard. Get rid of Slytherin and all you do is lose your convenient list of kids to watch for evil tendencies.

Zaphod42 posted:

Always seemed silly to me to have a single killing curse and have it be illegal. A) How does magic work in this world that there's only one specific spell that can accomplish anything? That's awfully convenient. And B) If you can't curse kill somebody, how about you just ACCIO BULLET or something, eh? Petrificus Totalus and then drop them off a dock into the ocean. There's tons of other easy ways to kill with magic.
The three specific spells that are illegal are banned because they serve no purpose other than crime. The killing curse can only be used to kill someone you hate. You can't even use it for executions or warfare because you have to hate the target. It's specifically a murder spell. You can use a whole lot of other spells to kill people, but they have other legitimate uses as well.

Marathanes posted:

Obi-Wan says something like "He is our only hope," and Yoda replies, "No, there is another."

Oh, I guess Obi-Wan just conveniently forgot about Luke's twin sister when he witnessed the goddamned birth, and his direct particcipation in splitting the twins up to make them harder for the Emperor to find.
Maybe Obi-Wan just didn't think Leia was a viable option at that point.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Tiggum posted:

The three specific spells that are illegal are banned because they serve no purpose other than crime. The killing curse can only be used to kill someone you hate. You can't even use it for executions or warfare because you have to hate the target. It's specifically a murder spell. You can use a whole lot of other spells to kill people, but they have other legitimate uses as well.

Really? So Voldy super hated the old caretaker of his house? And Wormnuts super hated the other kid who was with harry in the graveyard? And so so many others.

I always thought that the 3 curses were illegal because the mere act of casting them proves legal intent. Like I'm sure people got arrested for all sorts of other stuff, but these ones are go straight to jail tiles. IIRC Hermione uses a "detonate this poo poo" spell to break Sirius out of prison at the end of azkaban, but that's not technically illegal to cast the same way its not illegal to have a crowbar unless you're breaking into something or beating someone's head in with it. Then it becomes an added charge on the sheet.

As previously stated, there's lots of other ways to kill people with magic, they just aren't outright illegal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rysithusiku posted:

Really? So Voldy super hated the old caretaker of his house? And Wormnuts super hated the other kid who was with harry in the graveyard? And so so many others.

If I'm remembering it right, yeah, it's supposed to show that those characters who use the spell are so irredeemably evil that they can just cast it at will. A normal person wouldn't even be able to use the spell to kill a stranger, even if they had a good reason for wanting to kill them.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Tiggum posted:

The same thing that would stop him from doing that in a real school - technically nothing, but it's just not done. Especially when the principal clearly wants Gryffindor to win.

I seem to remember that Gryffindor hadn't won the house cup for a thousand years until the HP showed up, maybe that's why everyone was OK with Dumbledore just giving away a billion points to Gryffindor right before term ended each year. Backing Harry is a great way to look pretty cool.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Van Dis posted:

Well Rowling's British, a people with a long history of not understanding that other people have rights too.

You're missing the larger point, which is that the house elves are a direct analogue for the struggle (or lack thereof) for Scottish Independence.

Dobby is Alex Salmond and his death in the last book at the hands of the death eaters represents the defeat of the Yes campaign by upper class English interests.

Winky is a drunken mess and therefore represents all the other Scots.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

The same thing they do in real schools - nothing.

The thing that got to me is how arbitrary the value of each point was from book to book. In the first book, losing 50 points was treated like some devastating irrecoverable loss, and not just by the first years - the entire good-guy portion of the school was pissed off about it. Meanwhile you had scenes like in the second book where Gryffindor earned either 30 or 40 points in like a minute for answering questions about mandrakes, or something like 50-80 points in a single one of Lupin's class for fighting the boggart in the third book (I think it was 10 points to each of them). If correct answers were this valuable, you would expect, if they have classes every day for an entire year, the point totals should be in the thousands, especially if you assume a know-it-all like Hermione is getting a few questions right per class. Then you have Harry doing something like killing a basilisk, saving a girl's life and destroying a horcrux, and he gets 200 points. Ron gets the same amount for basically babysitting Lockhart while Harry does his "hero" thing - even though Harry didn't really do any of the work, it was the phoenix who did all the hard work. Is that really equivalent to answering 20 questions right in class? The point values and the reactions to them don't make any sense when you spend any time at all thinking about it.

In the end it clearly doesn't matter of course - the headmaster will just give just enough points to give their favorite house the lead. It's just meant to be a motivational tool to the students. The irritating part is none of them seem to realize this and actually take it seriously.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Non Serviam posted:

Would you all shut the gently caress up about Harry Potter? Just when you dropped the loving discussion about comic heroes you move to goddamn child wizards.

Why, certainly we shall stop talking about moments that irritated us in these child wizard movies. That's not at all what the PYF Irritating Movie Moments thread is for.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Jedit posted:

Why, certainly we shall stop talking about moments that irritated us in these child wizard movies. That's not at all what the PYF Irritating Movie Moments thread is for.

You're debating the merits of the fictional sport of quidditch (book and movies) for three pages. It's not an irrational irritation, at this point it's a sign of a mental disorder.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Non Serviam posted:

You're debating the merits of the fictional sport of quidditch (book and movies) for three pages. It's not an irrational irritation, at this point it's a sign of a mental disorder.

Woah what a wakeup call, I had no idea that's what was going on until you made this post. Thanks for explaining it.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Woah what a wakeup call, I had no idea that's what was going on until you made this post. Thanks for explaining it.

Nothing against Potter, it's just that we had just finished with the nerds sperging about Galactus. ..

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AlbieQuirky posted:

It's interesting for sure, and the magical world makes more sense, especially how it coexists with the regular world. But the main character is such an annoying whiny manchild!

Quentin gets much better by the third book. The series as a whole is basically him learning how not to be such an rear end in a top hat. Although something that bugged me about the third book is that it felt like Grossman fudged the numbers on how much time had passed to have Quentin become adjusted by the time he's 30.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

It's just meant to be a motivational tool to the students. The irritating part is none of them seem to realize this and actually take it seriously.

So, just like in a real school?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The only thing that bugs me about Harry Potter is they tried to make the movies contemporary. gently caress that! If they were animated everyone could have happily suspended their disbelief and we wouldn't have been having this giant rear end discussion.

Furthermore, in James and the Giant Peach, why was that peach so drat big? Wholly unrealistic.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

In Time Cop they travel back in time using a high powered car thing on a track, but when they arrive in the past they are on foot. When they leave the past they walk into a time hole and arrive in their present driving the car. Do they park the car inside of the squiggly time travel bit? Apart from that everything in the film is just perfect.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

Nothing against Potter, it's just that we had just finished with the nerds sperging about Galactus. ..

This thread might just not be right for you.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

This thread might just not be right for you.

But I like to sperg about things :( just in slightly lower doses.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

RBA Starblade posted:

Game of Thrones operates on Dark Souls rules, and the half naked guy dual-wielding lovely weapons is probably like a million times stronger than you.

You might be on to something...they DO both have an Onion Knight:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that's about right, in the last book I recall Hermione easily solving a puzzle designed for Ravenclaw students, who ask her how the hell she isn't in their house. She replies that the Sorting Hat considered putting her in there, but ended up going with Gryffindor instead because it sensed that is what she wanted.

Though I don't think it is ever elaborated on, Ron comes from a family of Gryffindors and desperately wanted to continue that family tradition, and the Hat obviously took that into account even though he was ideally suited to Hufflepuff.

Wouldn't this mean you'd have like 50% Gryffindors though and like 20% ravenclaw 20% hufflepuff and 10% slytherin? It'd be weirdly stacked.

You belong in one of these 3 houses OR you can just pick the cool house. :cool:

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Dr Scoofles posted:

In Time Cop they travel back in time using a high powered car thing on a track, but when they arrive in the past they are on foot. When they leave the past they walk into a time hole and arrive in their present driving the car. Do they park the car inside of the squiggly time travel bit? Apart from that everything in the film is just perfect.

Speaking of, why the hell is there a giant concrete wall at the end of that track? If there's a time travel failure (which I seem to recall happening in the movie) the car slams into the wall and explodes instead of, I dunno, having enough track to coast to a halt for another attempt.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Polaron posted:

Speaking of, why the hell is there a giant concrete wall at the end of that track? If there's a time travel failure (which I seem to recall happening in the movie) the car slams into the wall and explodes instead of, I dunno, having enough track to coast to a halt for another attempt.
Real estate is more expensive than timecops, I guess. :shrug:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I watched Ordinary People last night. Great movie except for the final therapy scene when Timothy Hutton's character makes his breakthrough. He really obviously fake-cries for the first 2/3rds of it (no tears happening) and then you get a cut away and back to his face and -boom- his face is completely wet with tears.

It's a great movie btw. Much better than Harry Potter.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On a note about house points I went to a school where students were assigned houses, intramural activities were always house against house as well as charity and other extracurriculars were tracked. Winning houses got ice cream and some other stuff. Harry Potter actually nails the whole experience pretty well in so far as the points are worthless because at the end of the year the upper level management will just give points out for poo poo that is worth enough points to invalidate good chunks of student effort.

Also quite like harry potter if you come from the house with 0 upper level patronage and have come in dead last for more than a decade by that point it becomes rather easy to cease giving a poo poo and just job for better houses star players at your personal whimsy.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, even British schools have an aristocracy

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
It is completely baffling to me that the House stuff was not made up wholesale for a whimsical nonsense wizard world :psyduck:.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Nah that part does make sense and I kinda new a little of that went on. I guess that adds some credibility to the "Rowling was taking the piss" theory on Quidditch too.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ElGroucho posted:

Holy poo poo, even British schools have an aristocracy

The system was mostly in place for public schools, which were basically training academies for the aristocracy anyway so entirely accurate.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I would watch a lot more baseball if there were one person from each team on the field trying to catch a greased pig while the game is going on.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

This is the harry potter book thread in the book barn. For the love of Jesus go dissect the books there and not in the lovely movie moments thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337221

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I am so happy to have sparked #harrypottergate.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I'm kindof annoyed when in thrillers an unsympathetic character is introduced just so they can get killed without the audience feeling too bad about it.

Watched Contract with Morgan Freeman and John Blandsack and they're in the wilderness and there's bad guys & whatever and they meet a young couple camping, and the guy is immediately a piece of poo poo, and of course he gets killed and even his girlfriend doesnt really care that much cause tbh he was kindof a scumbag so whatever.

Weak, hollywood.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Most public (government run) schools in Australia have houses as well, as far as I know. But they're mostly just a way of splitting the school up evenly for sports days and similar activities. At my school it was primarily used by the teachers to decide who was on bin duty. :(

I know it's a minor annoyance, but I always start yelling at the screen during movies when characters are driving and talking to whoever's in the passenger seat. Eyes on the road, dipshits. You're gonna get hit by a bus if you maintain constant eye contact with your friend while in the middle of a busy highway.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Especially when they swerve the wheel while looking at the passenger

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I havent seen Kingsmen yet but I have something bothering me -- in the trailers there's a girl with apparently blades for legs, how does she walk around without getting stuck everywhere? Can someone spoiler for me how those things work because it's distracting me a lot lately.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're retractable. They don't explain exactly how that works.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Watching Arrow, I'm incredibly annoyed by the fact that apparently the only way Oliver can ever hope to kill Ra's al Ghul is by learning to swordfight. Rather than say, shooting him full or arrows or buying a machinegun since this isn't the middle loving ages. In fact, I'd say that if he's the best swordsman in the world then your plan should be anything but "get into a sword fight with him".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The irritating thing about Kingsman to me, even though it was undoubtedly a fun movie, was the political angle. Like, OK, having opinions is fine, but this one is less subtle than the last five minutes of an early episode of Southpark. It makes 300 look like a nuanced commentary on foreign relations. To give you some examples:

- The 'Kingsmen' are literally a secret society of brave, selfless, benevolent rich (all white? I think so) people, who are the only people who can be trusted.
- Thatcher and Reagan get shout outs.
- Obama is in league with the bad guy...
...who mind-controls all the Hollywood and government elites...
...and is a radical anti-global warming environmentalist who is totally not Steve Jobs crossed with Google, right down to wearing Google Glass and his plan revolving around giving out free internet.

It's about as serious as an Austin Powers movie, so don't let this deter you, but seriously.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Feb 28, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Imagined posted:

- The 'Kingsmen' are literally a secret society of brave, selfless, benevolent rich (all white? I think so) people, who are the only people who can be trusted
I haven't seen the movie but isn't one of them Samuel L. Jackson?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

No Samuel L. Jackson is totally not Steve Jobs the bad guy. He's also the best and funniest character in the movie, no surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Henchman of Santa posted:

Americans aren't Kingsmen. Only the aryan race may call themselves that.