Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

hello old friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i've been out of town for a few days did anyone say buttcoin this week?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

i've been out of town for a few days did anyone say buttcoin this week?

it's you!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

shadok posted:

this is good but i still feel like the buttcoin laff ponzi is not returning as much as it was throughout the last three months or so. i'm worried that the butters are going to shut it down soon and run off with all the laffs.

were you awake for january

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
chain letters were a thing least as long as cheap postage has existed, a lot of them would tell you to send a button or something silly for fun and see how many you'd end up with, but a lot of them were just straight up for money.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

As a Millennial I posted:

i want to read this loving article and it's not showing up for me why isn't this working help

Come on YOSPOS. http://www.davidxia.com/2014/02/How-to-read-Wall-Street-Journal-online-for-free/

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

theflyingorc posted:

january threw the frisbee on the roof in terms of laff difficulty

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin enters it's 7th year of early adoption

when the internet was 7 years old, taft was telling people, "i'm not just fat, i'm also the first chief justice have previously been a president, you know..." horses were not invented yet, so very large dogs were used instead. and nobody liked this newfangled and scary internet.

early adopters needed whale oil and sparkgap-based transmitters to get online, but they managed, and were richly rewarded. during this wild west period, internet robber barons like pewdiepie and tila tequila were buying their first ip addresses.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
the south sea bubble was a pyramid scheme. some people actually did make money by cashing out early enough.

tulipmania was not really a pyramid scheme, just a crazy bubble.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
ponzi schemes no poo poo caused a small civil war in albania in 1997:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_Rebellion_of_1997#Pyramid_schemes

$1.2 billion lost in a country of only 3 million people.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

january was a magical golden age that i prayed would never end.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

posted to /r/bitcoin under the title "Why Bitcoin Will Be Bigger Than the Internet in Two Sentences"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

posted to /r/bitcoin under the title "Why Bitcoin Will Be Bigger Than the Internet in Two Sentences"

i cant wait till we get to transact currency between individuals

it will be a total game changer

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i cant wait till we get to transact currency between individuals

it will be a total game changer
isn't it like, stupid easy for individuals to transmit money between banks in england, as opposed to the us?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

anthonypants posted:

isn't it like, stupid easy for individuals to transmit money between banks in england, as opposed to the us?

yes. it's free, takes about 10 seconds online (or in a branch) and can be done between any UK banks. you can also use debit cards to get cash out at any bank or cashpoint too, they've interlinked all those systems. why, what's it like in the US?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

gonadic io posted:

yes. it's free, takes about 10 seconds online (or in a branch) and can be done between any UK banks. you can also use debit cards to get cash out at any bank or cashpoint too, they've interlinked all those systems. why, what's it like in the US?

are you old enough to remember cheques? they still use them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Soricidus posted:

this is true, i literally pay my rent with a check each month

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

yeah i still use cheques every so often. mostly because they feel more official (and there's more legislation/policy governing them) than bank transfers to individuals or businesses that don't want to pay card processing fees.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

anthonypants posted:

ya, money transfers have been free for as long as i can remember

soemtimes i spam friends with 1c transfers with custom messages

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

checks are lmao

i havent seen one used since 1995

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
The only time I've used a check was when I registered miami for my amiga in 1995 or so

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

ponzi schemes no poo poo caused a small civil war in albania in 1997:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albanian_Rebellion_of_1997#Pyramid_schemes

$1.2 billion lost in a country of only 3 million people.

this also produced officially the last funny thing p.j. o'rourke wrote before disappearing entirely up the cato institutes arse. the best line i remember from it is deescribing how hosed tirana was in the middle of that clusterfuck by pointing out that the arrival of a peacekeeping force consisting of several thousand italians in armoured cars somehow made the roads safer

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
lmao there is now an institute for blockchain studies. i guess it was bound to happen, their cargo cult was lacking a pretend think-tank so far.

personally, i can't wait for their first policy papers

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Wheany posted:

The only time I've used a check was when I registered miami for my amiga in 1995 or so

german here

when I apprenticed as a merchant in 1994 and the topic of cheques came up in class 90% of the class had neither seen before nor ever heard of a cheque

also no one has done so again aside from occasional confusing shenanigans in Hollywood movies

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ghost Farts posted:

lmao there is now an institute for blockchain studies. i guess it was bound to happen, their cargo cult was lacking a pretend think-tank so far.

social media presence listed on her website includes second life
also check out at that search query in her youtube link

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ghost Farts posted:

better gear up for laughchain studies

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ghost Farts posted:

they already have the nakamoto institute

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

TVarmy posted:

tila tequila were buying their first ip addresses.

there's a name I haven't heard in a decade

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gonadic io posted:

why, what's it like in the US?

lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

gonadic io posted:

why, what's it like in the US?

here we have to write a check, then bring it to the Western Union telegraph office. There, the clerk transcribes the image into ones and zeros, on the other end another clerk is converting those ones and zeros onto a piece of paper which becomes the new check.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

here we have to write a check, then bring it to the Western Union telegraph office. There, the clerk transcribes the image into ones and zeros, on the other end another clerk is converting those ones and zeros onto a piece of paper which becomes the new check.

you know you can do online transfers with western union now right

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

when i did the google summer of code we were paid in a bank account in the US with a cash card. i tried for ages to transfer that money to a UK bank but I just ended up getting a few grand out of a cash point over a few days, £200 at a time. luckily the bank was right next door but good thing i'm white or they might have gotten suspicious that every 10 mins I would come back in with another deposit

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Here's how I use my Bitcoins in Russia.

i'm the suspicious transaction

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io posted:

when i did the google summer of code we were paid in a bank account in the US with a cash card. i tried for ages to transfer that money to a UK bank but I just ended up getting a few grand out of a cash point over a few days, £200 at a time. luckily the bank was right next door but good thing i'm white or they might have gotten suspicious that every 10 mins I would come back in with another deposit

if only there were some kind of digital currency i could use!!1

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I'm windows xp

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

i'm the sister dutifully supporting her worthless bitcoiner brother by working abroad in a first world country.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

nyck!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

gonadic io posted:

when i did the google summer of code we were paid in a bank account in the US with a cash card.

Oh, my sweet innocent child. That card setup? That's not just for one-off little things, huge companies use it for their payroll as well (in many states in lieu of offering checks at all, just their prepaid card or direct deposit). I'm talking major drug store chains, retail places, and I've heard lately that even Disney with its ~60k employees has moved to it for their lower rungs. The cards are complete poo poo, there's no way to directly transfer your balance or write checks/cheques, and they're totally riddled with fees (of which I'd bet employers receive a cut). Just check out some of the more obvious fees

On top of that, there's a $2500 maximum balance on your wonderful slave bank account, you are charged extra if you want to share your account with another person, they normally do not function for international purchases, and some brands of cards even have a PER-PURCHASE fee (as in every single time you enter your PIN, you're charged $2.00 or whatever)

e: And yes, that "reload" fee does mean you have to pay money to deposit to your account

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

Oh, my sweet innocent child. That card setup? That's not just for one-off little things, huge companies use it for their payroll as well (in many states in lieu of offering checks at all, just their prepaid card or direct deposit). I'm talking major drug store chains, retail places, and I've heard lately that even Disney with its ~60k employees has moved to it for their lower rungs. The cards are complete poo poo, there's no way to directly transfer your balance or write checks/cheques, and they're totally riddled with fees (of which I'd bet employers receive a cut). Just check out some of the more obvious fees

On top of that, there's a $2500 maximum balance on your wonderful slave bank account, you are charged extra if you want to share your account with another person, they normally do not function for international purchases, and some brands of cards even have a PER-PURCHASE fee (as in every single time you enter your PIN, you're charged $2.00 or whatever)

e: And yes, that "reload" fee does mean you have to pay money to deposit to your account

this poo poo should be illegal if they only offer this method of getting paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

this poo poo should be illegal if they only offer this method of getting paid

It is, the country isn't that bleak, but don't expect employers to actually give you the option openly. In most cases I've heard the card document is just slipped in with the other stuff you have to sign once you're employed and the places don't tell you that there are other options, but I'm sure that flat out refusing checks if directly requested is illegal in most places

• Locked thread