Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

temple posted:

808s is the most influential hiphop rnb album in the past 10 years

lmao sick bait dude. ill bite.

no it isnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

808s is a pretty good album in some other genre

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

bows1 posted:

You don't think Led Zepplin consistently improved their whole career?

No. Have you not heard all of their albums or something? The last 2-3 are pretty bad esp compared to the preceding.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

40 lbs to freedom posted:

lmao sick bait dude. ill bite.

no it isnt.

808s -> Drake -> Every non trap artist.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Teetering on the edge of another Kanye album ordering on the one hand, and on the other some dude is posturing up about led fuckin Zeppelin lol jesus

Is the rest of Keith nutts poo poo as good as his freestyle at 0:40 or so???
https://youtube.com/watch?v=lt4cg8ZHCO8

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

temple posted:

808s -> Drake -> Every non trap artist.

It's not even non-trap artists. Future's essentially made a career out of doing 808's & Gangsta Heartbreak. It's easily the most influential album of the 2000's, at least w/r/t rap.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

zeldadude posted:

uh I don't know if this belongs here or in NMD but I'll just post it in both!

Anyone have any suggestions other than jay dee for some producers with this sort of style? Instrumentals are best but not necessary!

Ayatollah - People Get Ready
http://youtu.be/fGR1-XhSpJ0
Thanks dudes :)

Hey Trey, what's up? I'll type up some good rec's tomorrow. BTW you all should know that zeldadude is gangster as fucc. :)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

thathonkey posted:

Well yeah, i love Kanye, he's a once in a lifetime type of artist and rightfully an icon now but some of his albums just arent that great. My argument was simply that there really arent any artists across all genres - not just rap - with a sustained career that is always on the up.

Without him experimenting with 808s we don't get(IMO his best album) in MBDTF. And Even 808s had songs like Heartless, Amazing, Bad News, And I have a softspot for Love Lockdown and Street Lights but I realize that's probably a bad opinion. 808s and Yeezus aren't albums that I would just let play. But they aren't really even bad, just disappointing compared to the crazy good run Kanye had been on.

Kanye is one of the few artists who is constantly looking to change things up and never stays complacent. Sometimes it hits, other times it doesn't. But even his misses are influential, and come not because he's not relevant or isn't changing but usually because he's changing too drat much from what you are used to hearing from him.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

zeldadude posted:

uh I don't know if this belongs here or in NMD but I'll just post it in both!

Anyone have any suggestions other than jay dee for some producers with this sort of style? Instrumentals are best but not necessary!

Ayatollah - People Get Ready
http://youtu.be/fGR1-XhSpJ0
Thanks dudes :)

Someone else mentioned this again, and I was gonna type some stuff before but got busy and/or forgot. Basically, you really need to either give another couple examples or something, because while that's not a bad beat by any means, it's kinda generic in what it does. Like there's no signature, or nothing that made it pop to me at least, so it's like anything that uses samples & drums but that's like 50% of everything in rap? Off the top of my head I'd say the most similar would be Dilla, maybe Madlib (although he tends to do a bit more on his production), 9th wonder, Blurprint, some Q-Tip production...just lots of things really.

Dexo posted:

Without him experimenting with 808s we don't get(IMO his best album) in MBDTF. And Even 808s had songs like Heartless, Amazing, Bad News, And I have a softspot for Love Lockdown and Street Lights but I realize that's probably a bad opinion. 808s and Yeezus aren't albums that I would just let play. But they aren't really even bad, just disappointing compared to the crazy good run Kanye had been on.

Kanye is one of the few artists who is constantly looking to change things up and never stays complacent. Sometimes it hits, other times it doesn't. But even his misses are influential, and come not because he's not relevant or isn't changing but usually because he's changing too drat much from what you are used to hearing from him.
I really can't see how anyone can call 808's a miss. Not only was it super-influential, it's his second-best album. I mean all the songs you named are good, and you didn't even mention the best one from the album (Paranoid, fyi). Although I remember dudes in here hating on Graduation so there's no accounting for taste.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeezus is the best album of all time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Blood on the Leaves, New Slaves, Hold my liquor and Bound 2 are pretty great....

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It has a few good songs

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Rappers that have grown, maintained, or changed:

Common
Talib Kweli
Mobb Deep
Mos Def
Juicy J
Nas
Royce
Cam'ron
Ghostface
DOOM
Kanye
De La Soul
Black Eyed Peas
Aesop Rock
Busta Rhymes
E-40
Necro
Murs
Kool Keith

???
Jay Z
Eminem
Wayne

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
You guys were right I was wrong :11tea:

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

temple posted:

Common
Talib Kweli
Mobb Deep
Mos Def
Juicy J
Nas
Royce
Cam'ron
Ghostface
DOOM
Kanye
De La Soul
Black Eyed Peas
Aesop Rock
Busta Rhymes
E-40
Necro
Murs
Kool Keith

???
Jay Z
Eminem
Wayne

You forgot to list every other rapper ever, because everyone has grown, maintained, or changed. Also like 95% of the dudes there have gotten worse, I assumed that there was some sort of qualitative component to the discussion.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

alansmithee posted:

Someone else mentioned this again, and I was gonna type some stuff before but got busy and/or forgot. Basically, you really need to either give another couple examples or something, because while that's not a bad beat by any means, it's kinda generic in what it does. Like there's no signature, or nothing that made it pop to me at least, so it's like anything that uses samples & drums but that's like 50% of everything in rap? Off the top of my head I'd say the most similar would be Dilla, maybe Madlib (although he tends to do a bit more on his production), 9th wonder, Blurprint, some Q-Tip production...just lots of things really.

I really can't see how anyone can call 808's a miss. Not only was it super-influential, it's his second-best album. I mean all the songs you named are good, and you didn't even mention the best one from the album (Paranoid, fyi). Although I remember dudes in here hating on Graduation so there's no accounting for taste.

I think people are calling it a miss at the Kanye level....like its a gold nugget, but the worst quality of gold nugget. I agree with what Dexo said whole heartedly and the sentiment that Kanye makes all classic albums, every album has at least a handful of songs that will always be classics. I can't think of any other rapper with that level of constant output. Nas had a TON of duds and Jay also had some duds and even on some of his more classic albums there are rows of skippable songs before the greats. I may be a minority in my opinion but my favorite Jay albums are Watch the Throne and Magna Carta and they are HEAVILY Ye influenced.

808's wasn't an amazing album but it was very creative and adventurous and pushed the envelope pretty far; best part is that like Dexo said there would be no MBDTF with out it! MBDTF is the best Ye album and my favorite album (even beats out Thriller), it has literally everything and the kitchen sink and will remain one of the most influential albums of our lifetimes.

(The new Ye album if it's anything like ALL DAY is going to be loving great)

temple posted:

Common
Talib Kweli
Mobb Deep
Mos Def
Juicy J
Nas
Royce
Cam'ron
Ghostface
DOOM
Kanye
De La Soul
Black Eyed Peas
Aesop Rock
Busta Rhymes
E-40
Necro
Murs
Kool Keith

???
Jay Z
Eminem
Wayne

Changed for the better or worse? There are some changed for the worst people on there for sure. My most improved goes to Royce though, he's come a long way. Biggest fall off HAS to be Busta....what the hell happened to him?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

temple posted:

Common
Talib Kweli
Mobb Deep
Mos Def
Juicy J
Nas
Royce
Cam'ron
Ghostface
DOOM
Kanye
De La Soul
Black Eyed Peas
Aesop Rock
Busta Rhymes
E-40
Necro
Murs
Kool Keith

???
Jay Z
Eminem
Wayne

every single one of these dudes are worse now and far from their heydey, with the exception of e-40

also lmao @ necro

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

cryme posted:

also lmao @ necro

lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xFAkQtvk-Q

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
in all seriousness tho diamond, talib and redman been around. getting better is a different argument but they still got it

keep the Hot 9 on me like ebro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSia53F0b8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2ynhTscTCY

ps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3m_9W8nLy4

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 27, 2015

temple
Jul 29, 2006

cryme posted:

every single one of these dudes are worse now and far from their heydey, with the exception of e-40

also lmao @ necro
My point isn't that these rappers are making better music, it is that they have matured in some way or maintained. I think too many people treat rappers as disposable past their hype but I would say every one on that list has made decent music since 2000s.

Necro still makes good music, it isn't as exciting as the first time you heard I Need Drugs but its decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chkPAEa-3XU

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Aesop Rock almost fits the bill imo. I think Labor Days and Daylight are better than Bazooka Tooth but other than that I think every one of his albums has been better than the last. I guess a lot of people like Labor Days the best, though.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Necro sucks dude. Maybe worst rap voice of all time.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

cryme posted:

I'd agree excepting Kanye and Aesop. Also Common actually put out a really good album last year (maybe he finally got the Badu worked out of his system?)

temple posted:

My point isn't that these rappers are making better music, it is that they have matured in some way or maintained. I think too many people treat rappers as disposable past their hype but I would say every one on that list has made decent music since 2000s.
I agree with you on the part about people treating rappers as disposable, but your whole original claim was talking about how come dudes 15 years+ rapping don't get better/aren't different/don't evolve and a lot of the dudes you name definitely fell off the same amount from their peaks as did Vast and Vordul, it's just they made stuff in the intermediary. I mean Necro been remaking worse versions of Gory Days for like 20 years now. The most memorable thing Busta's done since making videos with Hype Williams when dudes was still wearing bubble coats was get roided up and fall off a stage etc etc.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Previous Jesus posted:

Aesop Rock almost fits the bill imo. I think Labor Days and Daylight are better than Bazooka Tooth but other than that I think every one of his albums has been better than the last. I guess a lot of people like Labor Days the best, though.
Bazooka Tooth was kinda weird in that it was a mishmash of producers and where I see what they were going for, it was maybe a bit too harsh to really work with his flow. Most people who like Labor Days best do so because it was probably one of their first "underground" rap albums and I'm guessing a lot of it is nostalgia. Not that it's bad but None Shall Pass is easily better, and I'd argue Skelethon as well.

That album he did with that Kimya girl or w/e her name is though is totally unforgivable and unlistenable.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Necro sucks dude. Maybe worst rap voice of all time.
Necro's production is amazing, but he only really worked with other psychological dudes so it was largely wasted.

Also he just has the generic white dude rapper voice, underground edition. Same thing Eminem, Cage, Aes, etc have.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 27, 2015

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I dont see how Ghostface has changed literally at all

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Also he just has the generic white dude rapper voice, underground edition. Same thing Eminem, Cage, Aes, etc have.

With a lisp

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the_american_dream posted:

I dont see how Ghostface has changed literally at all

he's easily one of the most consistent imo. 36 seasons and sour soul were both good.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

C'mon man. He was hit by a car on his tricycle when he was 5, and cracked his head open when he was 6. That kind of early childhood trauma would easily lead to slight speech impediments.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Ghostface is still solid for a dude who's put out what, 3 albums in less than 2 years? None of which ended up being garbage at all, I thought

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

alansmithee posted:

C'mon man. He was hit by a car on his tricycle when he was 5, and cracked his head open when he was 6. That kind of early childhood trauma would easily lead to slight speech impediments.

That sucks and all but my point still stands

And to temple's list: Cam'ron is one of my favorites ever and even though I don't want to admit it he is waaaaashed. Mobb Deep to a lesser extent. Rap is still, and likely always will be, a young man's game for the most part unsurprisingly.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If we're gonna include underground I think Vinnie Paz has consistently gotten better with every album (both solo and JMT)

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
I feel like something happened to Method Man's voice/flow in 1997, and although he still put out classic albums and records after that he wasn't as ill as he was the first time you heard him.

While we're talking about the old-school (and Necro), Kool G Rap literally hasn't changed at all since 1988, and I love him for it.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

uh, okay?

what's going on, Fidel Young?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Can't wait until he drops Detox and then performs in Cuba :allears:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

gently caress with Dre day

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

every kanye solo album is a classic, although ill grant his collab/label albums aren't. i still listen to 808s all the way through on a regular basis y'all just some haters

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Not thinking all 6 of artists solo albums are classics =/= hater. Got it. Only on here and r/hiphopheads....

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

cruel summer is good

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

only when that artist is kanye west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

thathonkey posted:

Can't wait until he drops Detox and then performs in Cuba :allears:

At this point he'll probably just buy Cuba.