Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Tiggum posted:

I cannot understand how anyone could have a problem with this. You're playing a game and enjoying it, but you want to skip bits? Why? If it's a case of "this is a tedious minigame, I don't want to have to do it" fine, but you want to skip whole sidequests? Why? :psyduck:

Elder Scrolls games have a lot of potential playstyles in them, and so a lot of room for replaying with a different sort of character.

So imagine playing your big burly meatslab hero with a battleaxe, and then suddenly you are outright forced to join the mage college for the main quest. You have no actual say in this, you're forced to at least start this questline to progress in the main storyline whatsoever. And that's not even because the mage college is important, it's because the librarian in the basement has moderately important information that you can't progress without learning (but never really comes into play). You probably do want to do the mage college's questline later on, but that'd be on a character that is a mage.

But then, because you have joined the college even only so you can talk to one guy for two minutes, the entire nation of Skyrim will not shut up about it, because you started that questline. Also, to add insult to injury, the college isn't actually a popular group in Skyrim because it's a country populated largely by musclebound brutes who're on the edge of war with a magic-using island nation, so it's the only faction with negative passerby quotes about you and your associates. Which, again, you only joined because the story forced you to.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Feb 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Skyrim really railroads you, I was excited when I came across the murder mystery quest after the Boone quest on New Vegas, where you're given some freedom and can blame anyone, with predictable consequences, and it can lock you out of stuff.

In Skyrim it's something like talk to guy>talk to guy>talk to guy>go to place>kill guy. Wow! All hail the Dragonborn!

Skyrim's 'quests' were utter dreck.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

So imagine playing your big burly meatslab hero with a battleaxe, and then suddenly you are outright forced to join the mage college for the main quest. You have no actual say in this, you're forced to at least start this questline to progress in the main storyline whatsoever.
Yep, that's how video games work. It's a story someone else wrote that you're playing through.

Cleretic posted:

You probably do want to do the mage college's questline later on, but that'd be on a character that is a mage.
There are no distinct character classes in Skyrim though and the protagonist of the game is explicitly some kind of magic man who is able to easily pick up skills that others take years to learn.

Cleretic posted:

But then, because you have joined the college even only so you can talk to one guy for two minutes, the entire nation of Skyrim will not shut up about it, because you started that questline. Also, to add insult to injury, the college isn't actually a popular group in Skyrim because it's a country populated largely by musclebound brutes who're on the edge of war with a magic-using island nation, so it's the only faction with negative passerby quotes about you and your associates.
Haha, so add that to the list of dumb poo poo all the guards keep saying constantly "Just don't try picking any locks around here." "Careful with that fire!" "I've heard about you and your honeyed words!" I'll grant you, those canned responses from the guards are really dumb, but that's all of them, not just whichever one it is that joining the college causes.

Walton Simons posted:

Skyrim really railroads you
Yep, it's a story that someone else wrote that you're playing through. It's not a free-form role-playing experience, it's a video game.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Trying to play Skyrim as an uber-generalist is actually a horrific idea, because of how the game level-scales enemies.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiggum posted:

With other people? Sure. Alone with your computer though? Your idea of role-playing is Skyrim? Do you not have friends?

"Beep Boop What Is Fun Must 100% Game In Most Efficient Way Possible Error Error Error Error "

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

Trying to play Skyrim as an uber-generalist is actually a horrific idea, because of how the game level-scales enemies.

Bingo

ITT we are Skyrim apologists, for some reason

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Who What Now posted:

"Beep Boop What Is Fun Must 100% Game In Most Efficient Way Possible Error Error Error Error "

Except that you literally have to play with that mindset due to the level-scaling system turning every boss-mob into a boring drawn-out slog if you don't.

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010
Dying Light has no current difficulty level, and once you start hitting levels 10-15 and beyond on all your skills the game looses all of it's challenge. The weapon variety disappears and all you can find are super high-damage swords and such that kill everything in one or two hits. I don't even upgrade most of the poo poo I find because why bother if it's already over-powered and slays the poo poo out of every enemy? The last thing I want is for the weapon to do an additional 500 damage. You don't have to worry about hordes, runners, volatiles, or anything else because nothing is a threat. So the game looses all of its tension and you basically spend the rest of your time going from A to B effortlessly killing anything that gets in the way. I shouldn't be able to drop into the middle of 50 zombies and kill them all immediately. The game also promoted firearms/ammo as being scarce and valuable, however I am finding assault rifles everywhere and ammo is extremely cheap and easily purchased all over the place. Techland is putting together a difficulty patch so hopefully they balance the game.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Bethesda doesn't actually make good RPG's, they make decent dungeon crawlers. Everyone claims they make good RPG's because of stuff Michael Kirkbride wrote on a cocaine bender fifteen years ago.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

Bethesda doesn't actually make good RPG's, they make decent dungeon crawlers. Everyone claims they make good RPG's because of stuff Michael Kirkbride wrote on a cocaine bender fifteen years ago.

I would say this is true. I remember the best parts of Daggerfall being wandering around the dungeons, scared as poo poo that a werewolf would be around the corner. Everything else was poo poo.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why is Tiggum so dedicated to defending Skyrim? It was a fun game, but everything others are saying are completely true. The quest railroads you, and the game is best with emergent gameplay just walkin' around or screwing with stuff.

Really what they need to do in all of TES games is figure out more enemy diversity. There are like...3-5 enemy archtypes per difficulty category (Small Animals-->Bandits/Bad Guys-->Dire version of aforementioned animals-->Dragons/Demons) and thats it. Once you cap out the difficulty you end up fighting the SAME type of guys forever and ever. I think they'd do well to simply get a more diverse enemy selection so I'm not killing Dire_Ice_Troll_01 over and over again in the wilderness, or the same baddies at the end of a dungeon every. Single. Time.

Otherwise they are a blast and you can have a lot of fun, just not in the main quest all the time.

DragonAge: Inquisition: I'm having a blast with the game for sure all around. What drags it down for me currently is the feeling of utter massiveness in the game. I feel like if I"m playing the game I have to dedicate like 3 hours because I'm going to find some elf root which shows a nearby quest which has me going over to this place, then to that place, and ahhh I didn't really get anything done because it was a piddly side quest! A good thing to have bring a game down I guess.

Other parts though are how the areas have "levels". I took a quest to this swamp and was chillin and like IMMEDIATELY died. Without warning. I thought I was just bad at tactics, but it turns out they were just twice my level and I simply couldn't do anything about it. There was NO indication of this until engaging the enemies. Same with some of the rifts I'll come across in the low level area. Just instant death to my party. Boo.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

1stGear posted:

It is also much more fun to get into a fight with an entire town instead of taking the time to introduce yourself to every person so you can personally wipe everyone's rear end for junk you don't really need - save for maybe 3-5 quests that are actually interesting or memorable and/or give you neat poo poo to play around with.

Also It's much more rewarding to find enchanted/unique stuff from a dungeon than having some lazy slob give it to you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

1stGear posted:

Bethesda doesn't actually make good RPG's, they make decent dungeon crawlers.
Decent dungeon crawlers usually require decent dungeons though.

(Skyrim had a couple of good ones but after a few you've seen everything)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

1stGear posted:

If you're going to start talking about tedious RPG classifications then the only actual RPGs being released right now is stuff like Wasteland 2.
The Elder Scrolls formula of open world adventure based exploration gameplay with emphasized character development is closer to genre revolutionaries like the Ultima or Might & Magic than anything else really, sans party based gameplay, so even on that front it's more true to the "tenets" of the genre than something like Mass Effect or even DA.
Also, before anyone starts with choice and consequence, that "mechanic's" implementation has historically been closer to Fallout's karma system or Ultima's virtue system. So essentially the world reacting to your actions (however limited those reactions are) rather than Bioware style plot reacting (once again, very limitedly and basic) to your multiple choice answers. Even so, it's an absolute loving fad and total sham, because even non-RPGs use that obtuse design goal Of C&C.
Of course, this is meaningless because no one loving cares, but saying the TES series (and they're by a long shot not my favorite games in the slightest) is less RPG than the other mainstream offerings is ludicrous. There is no true classification of RPG, because that's stupid as gently caress and even the games that introduced the concept were are archaic and the victims of their limitations, as the genre still is.

Also dungeon crawlers aren't like the TES games at all. Look at stuff like Etryian Odyssey or Grimrock, those are dungeon crawlers, a very specific gamestyle that the TES games are because a single party character goes into a single level dungeon that he spends a fraction of his time in? Outside areas aren't even segmented like Diablo's glorified outdoor dungeons so it doesn't even work on that front.

The games are RPGs, don't start this "real" RPG or not garbage because there aren't any, as long as it's not something moronic like people calling Bioshock an RPG then it's totally irrelevant.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

There is no reason to not pick up every skill in Skyrim. When they added legendary skills it became a matter of just standing around for like 5 minutes getting smacked by a giant in order to get all the perks you could ever want. and even though the enemies scale with you, they stop at like level 50 while you can get to like 200 or whatever if you are so inclined. At that point, even on Legendary difficulty, you're so good at the game that it isn't out of character to not only be Dragonborn, but Master of the Thieves Guild, Listener, Harbinger, Arch Mage, Qunariin, leader of the Dawn Guard, Ladle Collector, whatever the F you want because anything you see effectively becomes yours.

Also it's hard to give it up but once you do, not picking up everything you see is incredibly liberating. Why yes that 4000$ dragonbone bow DOES look heavy!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JebanyPedal posted:

If you're going to start talking about tedious RPG classifications then the only actual RPGs being released right now is stuff like Wasteland 2.
The Elder Scrolls formula of open world adventure based exploration gameplay with emphasized character development is closer to genre revolutionaries like the Ultima or Might & Magic than anything else really, sans party based gameplay, so even on that front it's more true to the "tenets" of the genre than something like Mass Effect or even DA.
Also, before anyone starts with choice and consequence, that "mechanic's" implementation has historically been closer to Fallout's karma system or Ultima's virtue system. So essentially the world reacting to your actions (however limited those reactions are) rather than Bioware style plot reacting (once again, very limitedly and basic) to your multiple choice answers. Even so, it's an absolute loving fad and total sham, because even non-RPGs use that obtuse design goal Of C&C.
Of course, this is meaningless because no one loving cares, but saying the TES series (and they're by a long shot not my favorite games in the slightest) is less RPG than the other mainstream offerings is ludicrous. There is no true classification of RPG, because that's stupid as gently caress and even the games that introduced the concept were are archaic and the victims of their limitations, as the genre still is.

Also dungeon crawlers aren't like the TES games at all. Look at stuff like Etryian Odyssey or Grimrock, those are dungeon crawlers, a very specific gamestyle that the TES games are because a single party character goes into a single level dungeon that he spends a fraction of his time in? Outside areas aren't even segmented like Diablo's glorified outdoor dungeons so it doesn't even work on that front.

The games are RPGs, don't start this "real" RPG or not garbage because there aren't any, as long as it's not something moronic like people calling Bioshock an RPG then it's totally irrelevant.

cool i'll just call it a mediocre game that's thoroughly inferior to everything else in its vaguely defined genre.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Good lord I forgot what a slog the last half of Halo CE is. Endless hallways filled with endless fodder enemies that can do just enough damage to kill you in moderate numbers, spotty checkpointing, rare ammo drops and almost no health drops at all, and the bald-faced reuse of every single environment from the first half of the game in reverse chronological order.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

carry on then posted:

Good lord I forgot what a slog the last half of Halo CE is. Endless hallways filled with endless fodder enemies that can do just enough damage to kill you in moderate numbers, spotty checkpointing, rare ammo drops and almost no health drops at all, and the bald-faced reuse of every single environment from the first half of the game in reverse chronological order.

Halo brought a good control scheme that was massively aided by a "modern" button layout and having a great multiplayer side to it. The campaigns always felt tacked on to me.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Jastiger posted:

DragonAge: Inquisition:

Other parts though are how the areas have "levels". I took a quest to this swamp and was chillin and like IMMEDIATELY died. Without warning. I thought I was just bad at tactics, but it turns out they were just twice my level and I simply couldn't do anything about it. There was NO indication of this until engaging the enemies. Same with some of the rifts I'll come across in the low level area. Just instant death to my party. Boo.

Haven't played it for a couple of months, but if it's PC, you can right click (or left click? whatever the non-attack button is) on enemies which will select them and show you their level before you engage them. Likewise if you pull back into tactics mode before engaging it'll show you their levels.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

1stGear posted:

Bethesda doesn't actually make good RPG's, they make decent dungeon crawlers.

You've found it, the one thing more insufferable than people arguing about whether or not something is "real" sci-fi.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yes, how dare you have criticisms for a genre in the PYF thing dragging this game down thread

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skyrim's scaling caps out at certain ranges for each area so if you're losing to or having extended drawn out fights with every enemy you're either level 5 in an endgame zone, really lovely at Skyrim, or you forgot you were actually playing Oblivion.

quote:

DragonAge: Inquisition:

By the time I beat the game my knight-enchanter was almost completely invincible to everything but archers and rogues. Archers could one-shot my character and rogues or whatever those templar guys were could teleport behind and instantly wipe my party. gently caress those guys.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ranged Defense and Cunning (which increases Ranged Defense) should be on every suit of armor you make in DA:I for exactly that reason. Archers are beasts.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

thepokey posted:

Haven't played it for a couple of months, but if it's PC, you can right click (or left click? whatever the non-attack button is) on enemies which will select them and show you their level before you engage them. Likewise if you pull back into tactics mode before engaging it'll show you their levels.

Thanks for that. THe downside is when you approach those rifts. The enemies aren't spawned yet so you have no idea whats coming your way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

But you can target the rift to get an idea. Rifts have levels too. May have to get close enough for your hand to start sparking first, I don't recall, but at that distance you can bail in a hurry.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

1stGear posted:

I didn't even get this out of Skyrim, all I remember when crawling through Skyrims dungeons was fighting the same loving zombies the whole game except they changed their names from 'Draugr lord' to 'Draugr Ultra-Death-Hell-Overlord-Alpha' or something. It all felt the same, its like the red queen problem where as I level up and get better gear the enemies perfectly match my abilities and all still look and act the same to boot.

There's a lot wrong with New Vegas but I found it much more gratifying the way they had clearly marked out high level dungeons (i.e. Quarry Junction, Dead Wind Cavern, Vault 34) that you may discover but would usually have to come back to at a higher level with better gear before you could clear them out. That created a satisfying sense of progression when you could go in and level a place that would have annihilated you 20 levels ago.

khwarezm has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Feb 28, 2015

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

But you can target the rift to get an idea. Rifts have levels too. May have to get close enough for your hand to start sparking first, I don't recall, but at that distance you can bail in a hurry.

The more you know! Thanks for that.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I didn't even get this out of Skyrim, all I remember when crawling through Skyrims dungeons was fighting the same loving zombies the whole game except they changed their names from 'Draugr lord' to 'Draugr Ultra-Death-Hell-Overlord-Alpha' or something. It all felt the same, its like the red queen problem where as I level up and get better gear the enemies perfectly match my abilities and all still look and act the same to boot.

There's a lot wrong with New Vegas but I found it much more gratifying the way they had clearly marked out high level dungeons (i.e. Quarry junction, dead wind Cavern, vault 34) that you may discover but would usually have to come back to at a higher level with better gear before you could clear them out. That created a satisfying sense of progression when you could go in and level a place that would have annihilated you 20 levels ago.
I had the exact opposite experience; coming across a dungeon that I couldn't clear immediately if I wanted to was very frustrating for me. It's one of the reasons I prefer Fallout 3 despite it being pretty much objectively worse. Once you hit around L5 or so there's very few places you can't explore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

With other people? Sure. Alone with your computer though? Your idea of role-playing is Skyrim? Do you not have friends?

If that's directed at me, that's the exact reason I want to do everything the first time. I don't have the time (or inclination) to play through every game multiple times to see all the different stuff. The more of it I can see in a single go, the better.

I'm just quoting this from the previous page for posterity's sake because a real person actually said that an RPG is not a game in which you should be roleplaying, without a hint of self-awareness

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Skyrim is like a klepto-simulator. Its all about sucking up endless amounts of lesser soul gems and coins (32) and metal bars and everywhere you go you clean the place. Go through every bookcase. An infinite amount of everything, the game is like a cycle.

Its like enter dungeon>murder>suck everything up like a savage vacuum cleaner>get out again and again with small stops where you craft/stash/sell all poo poo. The wheel keeps spinning. Oh this cave belongs so Oolag malbadur the kinkshaming bandit? I didnt notice was too busy hoovering all the poo poo up.
Where in the wheel are you? Oh my level-wheel got to cycle 5 so now i can use my shield to slow time, making fights even more trivial and even more slowed down and in the end i realize that time has no meaning in skyrim. Quests are just shallow set dresses for getting to new places where you can steal more useless stuff. Oh i got a Badass Spiky Mace OH MY GOD SOMETHING ACTUALLY MADE BY A PERSON! A living breathibg programmer decided what stats this mace have!!!!!!!! Its like catching a glimpse of humanity in the ever spinning wheel of randomized kleptomania. My random sword of _tier[number] with level specific damage and modifiers is miles ahead of any human made loot, but since youre so numbed by the wheel of loot you still get excited over havig something like that at all. The wheel continues. Soon all human made content will be swept up by the protagonist and all that remains is the wheel, with you, the shiva of vacuuming in the middle. Running and jumping and wondering why the gently caress am i loving playong this fuckig game??? The story is poo poo and thats when you stop playing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CJacobs posted:

I'm just quoting this from the previous page for posterity's sake because a real person actually said that an RPG is not a game in which you should be roleplaying, without a hint of self-awareness

Isn't Tiggum like legitimately autistic though?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

Sorry about your stockholm syndrome for lovely outdated game design.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

10 Beers posted:

As much as I love Skyrim, that quest aggravates the poo poo out of me. Some of the gems are hidden in faction areas, such as the Mage College, Assassin's Guild, etc. I shouldn't have to join evert drat group to complete the quest. I understand how that could happen in real life, but dammit, my 2 handed warrior doesn't wanna join the Mage College!

I'm pretty sure you can just break into the arch mage's office and take it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

Sorry about your stockholm syndrome for lovely outdated game design.

Hmm yes you are correct the "play however you want to play" aspect of open world video games is most certainly lovely and outdated definitely not still a facet of these games to this day as it was so lauded in the games in the series that came before Skyrim

Oh wait poo poo that's totally wrong, only an idiot would think that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Nuebot posted:

I'm pretty sure you can just break into the arch mage's office and take it.

There's no way to get into the College without either joining it, or passing the highest Speech check in the game, which requires having a perfect Speech skill.

Believe me, I tried. There is no way in. Even the cave below the college, which you can use to get out of the place, can't be used to get in.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I couldn't get myself to give a poo poo about anything in Skyrim, even after I bought it at an insane discount. I literally killed a dragon an hour in, and then got murdered by a cave bug.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm sure it'd be hard to work in well but I wish FTL had controller support.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress you Nintendo for loving up Amiibo distribution so badly that its a scalper's wet dream.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Alteisen posted:

gently caress you Nintendo for loving up Amiibo distribution so badly that its a scalper's wet dream.

Part of this may or may not be on the heads of the port workers on the west coast who were on strike for several months until fairly recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Alteisen posted:

gently caress any mass "collectible" production without any kind of purchase or distribution control, and double-gently caress people who buy things they don't want solely to sell them to other people at a markup. I had wanted to pick up the CE of a game recently, only to find out that it sold out before I got the e-mail letting me know preorders were up, and several hundred of them were up for sale on eBay the day the game was released, anywhere from 150% to 500% of the retail price. Some of the listings were parting out the edition to the point where you'd be paying over $500 for all the things that came in it, including one listing for $100 for the box. Scalpers are a cancer on the collectible market, and I really wish there were stronger unlicensed retail regulations (or that the ones that exist were enforced better).