Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:

Karnegal posted:

Wait $220 for art store acrylics? Or do you mean the Vallejo ones. If it's art store, You could get more Minitaire paint for that price (Badger's minitaire line is under $200 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-Company-Minitaire-Retarder/dp/B00AX5H86G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425055123&sr=8-1&keywords=minitaire)

Oh. No. I'm sorry if I made it confusing. I tend to be too wordy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BA...jteL&ref=plSrch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Commissar Canuck posted:

Speaking of Badger's paint line, I am curious about their ghost tints and airbrush washes in general. Is there anything special you have to do when applying them?

I liked their Oil Discharge when I was airbrushing a fleet of IG vehicles. Thinned just a little, it made a nice grungy look without a lot of trouble. Overall though, the washes tend to be very glossy and I wouldn't really want to use them outside of airbrushing. It is actually what prompted me to try mixing my own washes using the Les' Recipes.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Who Dat posted:

I have a bunch of hobby store paints, basic colors that I planned on mixing for different hues. They weren't expensive. Just really cheap acrylic that I was going to start with. Is it okay to used cheap options for learning to apply paints, using brushes? Or should I invest in decent miniature paints like Vallejo.
I started practicing for painting my nicer miniatures using craft paints on board game minis primed with gesso. I found that, as mentioned, they are absolutely fine when thinned - and perhaps even better at teaching the importance of applying thinned paint and only as much as needed (similarly for brush priming with gesso, where it is easy to over-apply and obscure detail). The big differences are:

Lower Quality Medium: thicker, dries satiny (rather than flat), requires more mixing when thinning, faster drying (less workable time, lower shelf life).

Lower Quality Pigment: less rich/brilliant/saturated colors, less pigment density (harder to get coverage with thin coats), slightly grainy washes, wet and dry color can shift slightly.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Who Dat posted:

I know it's touched upon in the OP but since opinions differ, here and otherwise, I'll ask because I'm babby painter. I have a bunch of hobby store paints, basic colors that I planned on mixing for different hues. They weren't expensive. Just really cheap acrylic that I was going to start with. Is it okay to used cheap options for learning to apply paints, using brushes? Or should I invest in decent miniature paints like Vallejo. A set of 72 can be had for ~220. Not cheap, but the more I think of the prospect of mixing paints (I'm not super patient), the more I like the lots of quality paints option.

I'm watching a miniature painting 101 series on YouTube and the guy definitely recommended getting decent paints, be it GW, P3, Vallejo, or Reaper. Just figured I'd get opinions before shelling out that kind of cash.

I'd mostly just buy the colors you want/need starting out; at the Hobby Lobby here, I picked up the Vallejo Model Colors for between $1.99 to $2.99 USD each for the 17ml bottles, and ended up getting 12 bottles, a new set of brushes, and primer for ~40 - 50 bucks. I could never really see myself using some of the colors they have there but I was able to get the basics cheap.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Who Dat posted:

I know it's touched upon in the OP but since opinions differ, here and otherwise, I'll ask because I'm babby painter. I have a bunch of hobby store paints, basic colors that I planned on mixing for different hues. They weren't expensive. Just really cheap acrylic that I was going to start with. Is it okay to used cheap options for learning to apply paints, using brushes? Or should I invest in decent miniature paints like Vallejo. A set of 72 can be had for ~220. Not cheap, but the more I think of the prospect of mixing paints (I'm not super patient), the more I like the lots of quality paints option.

I'm watching a miniature painting 101 series on YouTube and the guy definitely recommended getting decent paints, be it GW, P3, Vallejo, or Reaper. Just figured I'd get opinions before shelling out that kind of cash.

For ages, I painted minis with a combo of craft paints and GW paints/inks/washes, but nowadays I have migrated to Vallejo paints and inks/washes from various other companies (Army Painter, Secret Weapon, etc.), and the difference is astounding. Better coverage, smoother finish, and just plain easier to work with.

I would say that craft paints are OK to start with if you're just learning and they will help you get some of the basics of the hobby down. If you have the money and can start with a more expensive brand, definitely go that route; but if you are just starting out, my recommendation would be to pick up some Delta Ceramcoat craft paints (as they do have a smoother finish compared to Apple Barrel or other craft paints; not as smooth as Vallejo, but better than the other craft brands) and also splurge and get some Army Painter inks. They have a set of 7 or 8 inks for (I think) around $25, and believe me when I tell you that a properly applied ink wash covers a multitude of painting sins. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

John Dyne posted:

I'd mostly just buy the colors you want/need starting out; at the Hobby Lobby here, I picked up the Vallejo Model Colors for between $1.99 to $2.99 USD each for the 17ml bottles, and ended up getting 12 bottles, a new set of brushes, and primer for ~40 - 50 bucks. I could never really see myself using some of the colors they have there but I was able to get the basics cheap.

Holy crap, your hobby lobby stocks vallejo? What dark magic did that require?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Bad Munki posted:

The one near where I live has Vallejo too, though I think it's a very limited range, with only some "basic" colors that would be used for military models and such.

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
Thanks all for the guidance. :unsmith:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

For ages, I painted minis with a combo of craft paints and GW paints/inks/washes, but nowadays I have migrated to Vallejo paints and inks/washes from various other companies (Army Painter, Secret Weapon, etc.), and the difference is astounding. Better coverage, smoother finish, and just plain easier to work with.

I would say that craft paints are OK to start with if you're just learning and they will help you get some of the basics of the hobby down. If you have the money and can start with a more expensive brand, definitely go that route; but if you are just starting out, my recommendation would be to pick up some Delta Ceramcoat craft paints (as they do have a smoother finish compared to Apple Barrel or other craft paints; not as smooth as Vallejo, but better than the other craft brands) and also splurge and get some Army Painter inks. They have a set of 7 or 8 inks for (I think) around $25, and believe me when I tell you that a properly applied ink wash covers a multitude of painting sins. :v:

I think I'll be doing this. I'll hold off on buying any huge sets. I'll check the local Hobby Lobby this weekend to see if they carry Vallejo paints, but until I'm confident I won't splurge. I bought something I think is Ceramcoat equivalent. Or it is Ceramcoat. I'll see when I get home. It was whatever the art store recommended highly for what I was doing along with some on sale Grumbacher brushes.

At any rate, I grabbed those ink washes on Amazon for ~$18. I'm a long way off from the paint step so I'll just focus on putting plastic manbabbies together while I get an area set up for this poo poo because my house is a mess my wife hates my hobbies because they cost money and oh god I have a 2 year old who doesn't give me any time and maybe I should make a hobby thread in E/N and cry there. :qq:

Has anyone watched these tutorials by miniwargamerjay. Informative but holy poo poo the music. :psypop:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Who Dat posted:

Thanks all for the guidance. :unsmith:

I think I'll be doing this. I'll hold off on buying any huge sets. I'll check the local Hobby Lobby this weekend to see if they carry Vallejo paints, but until I'm confident I won't splurge. I bought something I think is Ceramcoat equivalent. Or it is Ceramcoat. I'll see when I get home. It was whatever the art store recommended highly for what I was doing along with some on sale Grumbacher brushes.

Hobby Lobby should also have Ceramcoat paints, if you can't find an equivalent Vallejo color/want to start off on the cheaper side of things for now. The Army Painter inks you can find online (I think I got my set off of eBay for about $20 or so), and the nice thing about them is you can basically just glop 'em on without thinning, and they work pretty well (some other inks/washes are a bit more fiddly, but YMMV of course).

quote:

Has anyone watched these tutorials by miniwargamerjay. Informative but holy poo poo the music. :psypop:

I'll take this opportunity to pimp out Doctor Faust's Painting Clinic on YouTube, as I have learned a lot from watching his videos (and reading his website back in the day).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
One thing I would suggest? Don't thin them with water. Thin them with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and some sort of medium. I personally use Plegde Future (or Multi-Surface, or whatever it's called now). This will keep a thinned paint from being too runny.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just to touch briefly again on the Bones thing: I too am not a fan of them (though I love Reaper's metal minis a ton). Along with the previously mentioned issues (floppiness, having to reset droopy swords with boiling water, etc.), one thing I have found is that, unless you have a "solid" mini with a lot of thickness to it (such as a stout dwarf, for example), the figures have a bit of "bounce" to them when painting, which is annoying as hell. At first I thought it was just me, as I tend to cut off the "broccoli bases" that are attached to the Bones figures and pin them, and so I thought perhaps cutting the bases away from the Bones figures made them a bit less resilient or something; but then I tried it with an elven archer-type figure that I left attached to the base as an experiment, and had the same experience.

I can't quite explain it except to say that when painting, the figure seems to "bounce" a little when being touched by the brush with anything other than the gentlest of brush strokes. It's annoying as poo poo because (in my experience) it leads to sloppier brushwork and a lot more cleanup. Granted, this could just be my experience alone, but that combined with all the other issues people have already mentioned regarding the Bones range is enough to put me off the line completely (and I am normally a dude who gets all :woop: in regards to getting things as cheaply as possible).

I appreciate that Reaper is trying to move to a cheaper-to-produce material for the Bones range, but I'll take metal (or hard plastic, or resin) figures any day, even with the increased price.

Try bracing the mini with your other hand as you paint? I've always found gripping by the base to be too unstable for my liking so I usually cup my minis in my other hand.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bad Munki posted:

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The one near where I live has Vallejo too, though I think it's a very limited range, with only some "basic" colors that would be used for military models and such.

Yeah it's mostly got GERMAN CAMO GREEN and such but it's a pretty solid starter selection here; I got all the basics (black, white, grey), some fleshtones, and the colors I really wanted, except they didn't have the analogue to Citadel's Ultramarine Blue or Dark Angel Green. Still, got Wazdakka Red and Khorne Red and Red Gore so that works. :v:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well now you buttheads have my hopes up, I'm going to have to head in to town to have a closer look.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bad Munki posted:

Well now you buttheads have my hopes up, I'm going to have to head in to town to have a closer look.

Don't forget your coupon.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Don't forget your coupon.

Yep, I never forget to bring up the weekly on my phone. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Z the IVth posted:

Try bracing the mini with your other hand as you paint? I've always found gripping by the base to be too unstable for my liking so I usually cup my minis in my other hand.

I never hold the mini by the base, though. I always use some poster putty/Blu-Tack and attach them to an old medicine bottle cap or similar (I've also used hot glue at times to attach them to something to hold while I paint). I don't get the "bounce" I mentioned with any other type of material, such as metal or hard plastic. It's only the Bones figures. If they are a stout dwarf or a thick-muscled ogre or something like that, they're fine. If they're skinny like an elf or human lady, that's when I get the "bounce" motion I described.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh, would you look at that: my local hobby lobby does stock vallejo. Technically. Sorta. I mean there's a space for them.

But at least they had all the metallics, which I was most in need of, so I stocked up on those.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Who Dat posted:

If you buy cheap paint go with Winsor and Newton Galleria. Delta (ceramcoat) is OK but their quality varies widely between different colors of paint.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Bad Munki posted:

Huh, would you look at that: my local hobby lobby does stock vallejo. Technically. Sorta. I mean there's a space for them.

But at least they had all the metallics, which I was most in need of, so I stocked up on those.

I did a double take because that is the EXACT stock levels of the Hobby Lobby here and I fleetingly wondered if there was another paint goon in my town, but then saw you were in PA. :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Shame it's Hobby Lobby. They're one of the few major retailers in existence where I'd rather buy from Games Workshop. :v:

If Michaels stocked it, I'd be all over that poo poo.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So two questions about vallejo:

1) How do their metallics handle airbrushing?

2) Should I consider airbrushing their matte varnish, or strictly brush on?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

1) How do their metallics handle airbrushing?
Normal ones, poorly. Vallejo has the Air range which has awesome, super-smooth metallics good for brush-on painting too, while their normal, non-Air metallics are lovely.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pierzak posted:

Normal ones, poorly. Vallejo has the Air range which has awesome, super-smooth metallics good for brush-on painting too, while their normal, non-Air metallics are lovely.

I agree with this for the silvers but I find that with the golds, it's the other way around; the Air are way too lovely in their coverage while the regular ranges are good after a bit of thinning. Also, the Air range is straight up missing a bright yellowish gold or brass.

This is all in regards to brushing on. Maybe Air Gold goes on fine through an airbrush, I don't know.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

JerryLee posted:

Shame it's Hobby Lobby. They're one of the few major retailers in existence where I'd rather buy from Games Workshop. :v:

If Michaels stocked it, I'd be all over that poo poo.

I'm going to send Hobby Lobby pictures of titty demons painted with Vallejo paints. They'll drop it like birth control coverage.

Did you know people use this for DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Sorry for not replying to all the posts about my LED test the other week, things have too pretty busy. I'll try to maybe get around to it some time this weekend. :v:
That said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdaavANsX0

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Apparently they changed the active ingredient in Power Spray and it doesn't work any more D:

Use plain brown dettol. You dunk the mini in it, leave it 24 hours, and scrub with dish soap.

Thank you! Brown dettol you say. To Asda!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bistromatic posted:

Sorry for not replying to all the posts about my LED test the other week, things have too pretty busy. I'll try to maybe get around to it some time this weekend. :v:
That said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqdaavANsX0

I'm going to have to see plans for that as well, sir.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

Thank you! Brown dettol you say. To Asda!

Unfortunately it smells about a thousand percent worse that Fairy Power Spray. Wear gloves. (You probably should wear gloves for FPS as well but I don't because I live on the edge.)

When FPS still worked it was the bollocks though - far better than Dettol.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Thread,

I'm getting ready to do a ton of 28mm napoleonics. Gonna be priming black and was thinking of airbrushing the white on for the trousers/shirt things that the French guys are wearing. I've never airbrushed white over black before - is advisable to do a grey base first before the white?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BeigeJacket posted:

Thread,

I'm getting ready to do a ton of 28mm napoleonics. Gonna be priming black and was thinking of airbrushing the white on for the trousers/shirt things that the French guys are wearing. I've never airbrushed white over black before - is advisable to do a grey base first before the white?

Yes to the grey.

Also why prime black? Why not prime grey?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

eh, I just find black more forgiving. I just got done with a load of WW2 guys whom I primed grey and just getting the (non airbrushed) base coats on took forever, and even a little speck of grey showing through would set off the OCD in a way black doesn't.

I'm going to have hundreds of Nap guys to plough through, so I'm looking for a quick n easy scheme to crank em out.

I'll give the grey-then-white a go. Thanks!

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What range are you using for the 28mm stuff? I havent found models I've liked for that period in that scale yet.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

What range are you using for the 28mm stuff? I havent found models I've liked for that period in that scale yet.

Perry Brothers. I do plan on getting some of the Victrix highlanders (probably at Salute).

Surprised that there's nothing that's taken your fancy, 28mm Napoleonics has been very blessed in the last couple of years with loads and loads of plastics. This poo poo is actually affordable now! What is it that puts you off?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
So tomorrow I am going to start painting this guy and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what colors they think would look good on the tabard/cloak. All my veterans and special characters at this point have been going with Zandri Dust sometimes with some Screaming Skull hightlights. I recently did a Captain with White Scar, and I didn't really like it. That being said I was wondering if anyone had any ideas that might really help distinguish Tigurius from his brothers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

BeigeJacket posted:

Perry Brothers. I do plan on getting some of the Victrix highlanders (probably at Salute).

Surprised that there's nothing that's taken your fancy, 28mm Napoleonics has been very blessed in the last couple of years with loads and loads of plastics. This poo poo is actually affordable now! What is it that puts you off?

Theres always something I dislike about the models. Either the poses, the faces or just the general lack of detail on them. I'm not looking at painting up hundreds of the things so its more about the individual models to me. The Perry stuff does look good mind.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I never hold the mini by the base, though. I always use some poster putty/Blu-Tack and attach them to an old medicine bottle cap or similar (I've also used hot glue at times to attach them to something to hold while I paint). I don't get the "bounce" I mentioned with any other type of material, such as metal or hard plastic. It's only the Bones figures. If they are a stout dwarf or a thick-muscled ogre or something like that, they're fine. If they're skinny like an elf or human lady, that's when I get the "bounce" motion I described.

I think the bounce motion is due to the slim figures bending at the ankles. This is made worse if you hold the figure by its base or a handle attached to the base. If you held the figure directly it won't bend since your hand will be directly behind the area being painted steadying it.

I understand your problem - I hold minis the way I do (contrary to all suggestions to attach them to a handle of some sort) precisely because I find that the mini tends to be unstable when I paint it while grabbing its base - in this case the instability is coming from my finger joints rather than the ankles, but the concept is identical.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The trouble with holding them in your fingers is that your fingers (everyone's fingers' have some oils on them which will transfer to the mini and make the paint not grab so well.

Yeah, some bones do have the flimsiest ankles. Fortunately, they're easy and forgiving to drill, so I pinned some of mine right up to thigh level.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

thespaceinvader posted:

The trouble with holding them in your fingers is that your fingers (everyone's fingers' have some oils on them which will transfer to the mini and make the paint not grab so well.

Yeah, some bones do have the flimsiest ankles. Fortunately, they're easy and forgiving to drill, so I pinned some of mine right up to thigh level.

My solution for this, and I realize it's not for everyone because money, is nitrile gloves. They're also good for construction because cyanoacrylate does not adhere to nitrile.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

thespaceinvader posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Black-Gloves-Powder-Free-Medium/dp/B007KQECMO/ref=sr_1_2

I recommend having a box of gloves around no matter what, they should be a staple in every household. But for painting, they're extra great, because not only do they keep your disgusting bodily excretions off the minis, they also let you touch semi-dry parts a lot sooner because they create a vapor barrier as well, so your paint doesn't fog while it's still drying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I bought a wide selection of the new citadel paints when they launched and promptly quit the hobby a little while later. They've been sitting in my closet with 90% of them unopened and still sealed for what must be coming up to a couple of years. I've just busted them out and the few I had opened before seem fairly unusable but a lot of the unopened ones have seperated or settled too, particularly the washes.

Shaking alone doesn't seem to do the trick but I don't have time tonight to open them all up and give them a solid stir. Anyone got any experience with refreshing the new paint range? Am I boned?

• Locked thread