Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Of all my managers, some have and some haven't understood the difference between how network bandwidth and stored data is measured.

I honestly don't think it's that important from manager's perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Of all my managers, some have and some haven't understood the difference between how network bandwidth and stored data is measured.

I honestly don't think it's that important from manager's perspective.

It is for when you need to plan for upgrades.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

psydude posted:

Indeed. It was also his job to translate IT to C-level speak. I think you need a passing understanding of both to be able to do that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

psydude posted:

There'd more than likely be a meeting where tech and management would hash out the actual details.

That said, I stepped on my own foot here and an IT Manager should know the difference although I'm not sure if I'd make it an absolute requirement. It feels kind of the same where one my friends wants to be an IT Manager. He knows he needs to understand the tech stuff so he's getting his MCSA which won't hurt but is this the best direction?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

I'm.. not sure I understand the difference myself, other than hitting the max in stored data causes data loss and hitting the max in network just causes congestion? Soft cap versus hard cap? Both are measured on use % versus available capacity and historical metrics are key to creating trend lines to know when you'll hit max?

What's the expected answer here?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Bhodi posted:

I'm.. not sure I understand the difference myself, other than hitting the max in stored data causes data loss and hitting the max in network just causes congestion? Soft cap versus hard cap? Both are measured on use % versus available capacity and historical metrics are key to creating trend lines to know when you'll hit max?

http://itxdesign.com/gigabit-vs-gigabyte/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Bhodi posted:

At a high level, network bandwidth is a measure of instantaneous capacity, whereas storage capacity is finite and the instantaneous capacity is the speed of the SAS/SATA drives/controller and the SAN.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Now I have two very different answers, let's see if the guy involved has a third

Though the first is more likely, I don't think a C-level even knows what SATA is

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well as you said, one merely results in a slowdown (and can be managed through QoS and traffic shaping) while the other can actually result in data loss. That's all the C-level needs to know. The manager needs to know why those situations can arise, which requires an understanding of bandwidth versus storage capacity.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

They've always been measured differently as to why I've never ever found an answer to that aside from that's the way it's always been.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oh you want to know why bandwidth is measured in bits versus bytes. I have no idea, but my guess it would have to do that the use of bitrate is useful just for measuring the physical layer's ability to literally switch between 0 and 1, and this has been extrapolated to the rest of networking (although physical media's signalling rate is usually rated in Hz, so maybe not).

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 27, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I know about network being measured in bytes; As a friend once said "There may be 8 bits in a byte but you may as well add 2 for protocol overhead, so just move the decimal"

The only thing I regret about taking the SME route instead of the management route is that I'll never be able to go into those meetings with pretty powerpoints to explain about how we were able to prevent side-fumbling.

MagnumOpus
Dec 7, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I know about network being measured in bytes; As a friend once said "There may be 8 bits in a byte but you may as well add 2 for protocol overhead, so just move the decimal"

The only thing I regret about taking the SME route instead of the management route is that I'll never be able to go into those meetings with pretty powerpoints to explain about how we were able to prevent side-fumbling.

Counterpoint: As someone in the process of (deliberately) moving from Management back to SME, I will not miss constantly being asked why there are "two of everything".

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Whoops, I think there was mis-communication in that discussion. Yea, you should understand the difference between network bandwidth and storage but as to how and why they're measured that's not necessarily critical.

Bhodi posted:

This is awesome.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MagnumOpus posted:

Counterpoint: As someone in the process of (deliberately) moving from Management back to SME, I will not miss constantly being asked why there are "two of everything".
You mean "Because the developers are bad at their job and our application is overly fragile" isn't an appropriate answer?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Whoops, I think there was mis-communication in that discussion. Yea, you should understand the difference between network bandwidth and storage but as to how and why they're measured that's not necessarily critical.

This is awesome.

Yeah, this is a multi-generational engineering joke started in the 40s. I remember telling my dad about a GE data sheet I saw during my aborted college career in the early 90's and he knew exactly what I was talking about (he was a mechanical engineer).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turboencabulator

They don't mention it in the article, but I seem to remember a Sun Microsystems Turbo Encabulator video as well.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh yeah, the joke's OOOOOoooolllldd. It's always great to introduce it to a new generation.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

SEKCobra posted:

So I was doing some FLS the other day and a Doctor called in and asked to send him someone. Obviously I asked what for, since he seemingly didn't feel like volunteering that info. He told me 'To turn a monitor around'. So I asked him what kind of mount he was talking about, he couln't say. Asked him what kind of tools we should bring, to which he replied 'You'd just need two hands'.
Went there, one of the Lab Analysts tells me "That's the computer there, please turn it around".
Yes. They requested Medical IT to come and take the computer out, turn it around and put it back in. We are talking about a free floating computer with no short cables or anything.

As much as it annoys the piss out of me to lug around machines and re-wire things, I wouldn't trust anyone in this office with a potato gun let alone not dropping an all-in-one unit.

In other news I got to upgrade a user's laptop with a Samsung EVO 850 because adobe creative cloud runs slow as balls, her manager OK'd it right off the bat so I had an hours worth of fun playing with hardware. Then today rolls around and Premier Pro (loaded for the first time) crashes on every single video import, making it completely useless.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Super Slash posted:

As much as it annoys the piss out of me to lug around machines and re-wire things, I wouldn't trust anyone in this office with a potato gun let alone not dropping an all-in-one unit.

In other news I got to upgrade a user's laptop with a Samsung EVO 850 because adobe creative cloud runs slow as balls, her manager OK'd it right off the bat so I had an hours worth of fun playing with hardware. Then today rolls around and Premier Pro (loaded for the first time) crashes on every single video import, making it completely useless.

It wasn't an all in one, the caller just can't tell a monitor from a PC.

In other news, anyone else backed Pockethernet? Got mine yesterday, so far not completely satisfied but still intrigued.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SEKCobra posted:

It wasn't an all in one, the caller just can't tell a monitor from a PC.

In other news, anyone else backed Pockethernet? Got mine yesterday, so far not completely satisfied but still intrigued.

Not satisfied?

It sounds like a good product considering the price. I can imagine that a network professional might prefer a much more expensive Fluke, but what about more junior technicians?

Edit:

Do you see any easy way that you could stick it on a keyring? I was thinking that it might be small enough to have at work in an electronic keybox with car keys etc.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 27, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

SEKCobra posted:

How much are they going to retail for, and what are your issues? I remember seeing it and being intrigued during the KS, but then it fell off my radar.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYf12VOBVU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Well, today was my last day at my current place. My boss sat me down earlier this month and told me that despite the improvements that I've made and sustained over the last few months following what felt like everyone in my life taking a collective dump on me, I was going to be out the door by the end of the month. I actually liked the job, and am kind of sad, but at the same time it's pushed me to apply for a new position which I will be starting on the 9th in a much more exciting and better compensating environment.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Yesterday I had a meeting with the CIO, where I was given a bonus check for the traveling work I have done over the past year. It's for over a month's salary, which sounds good but also I get paid a terrible salary. Still nice to have (especially when I was in no way expecting it) and the meeting was basically them (CIO and two IT managers under him) telling me how I do great work and to keep it up. Basically the same meeting I had a few weeks ago, but this time with a check.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Not satisfied?

It sounds like a good product considering the price. I can imagine that a network professional might prefer a much more expensive Fluke, but what about more junior technicians?

Edit:

Do you see any easy way that you could stick it on a keyring? I was thinking that it might be small enough to have at work in an electronic keybox with car keys etc.

It's far too big and heavy for a keyring.
Obviously this isn't on par with any of the real Fluke Network tools, maybe a Nettool.
I'd expect a <100€ price point, definitely wouldn't pay more either. (Bought a 2 pack for, I think, 250€)
Anyway, right now the app needs a lot of work, and there are a lot of features to be added, especially in the 'Online' department.
TDR for cable lengths is working fairly accurately on everything above 5m, but I would like some more detail on the actual values.
Honestly, they just need to give us more access to the underlying measurements, instead of only the final results they decide on.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SEKCobra posted:

It's far too big and heavy for a keyring.

Wow, from the pictures, it looks to be the size of about two decks of cards, can you post some pictures?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Two decks of cards is still far too big for a keyring

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Wow, from the pictures, it looks to be the size of about two decks of cards, can you post some pictures?

Sure thing, sorry about the quality, but I'm currently having issues with Magic lantern.

I'd say it's about as wide as any modern smartphone, and about 3/5ths the height. 2-3x as thick.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

With all the noise they were making about the delays being caused by manufacturing issues, I gotta say the finished article still looks like a prototype.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Thanks Ants posted:

Two decks of cards is still far too big for a keyring

I've got a keybox that works kind of like this:

I think it might work.

Thanks Ants posted:

With all the noise they were making about the delays being caused by manufacturing issues, I gotta say the finished article still looks like a prototype.

It does look a little janky, especially the exposed panel around the network jack.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 28, 2015

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah, that whole delay and shipping debacle was ridiculous, sometimes I wonder if the tech half of the company bailed and now Mr. CEO Zoltan is just trying to sell off whatever is left or something like that.
I also love how the terminator is just a PCB with a slightly thicker vinyl sticker around it.
Still trying to figure out what they used to keep the PCB inside the aluminium housing, after taking out all 4 Torx screws and taking of the (cheapass) acrylic, I could push the PCB about two centimeters and it would just go back to its position as if on a rubber band. After some more pushing that stopped completely, no obvious glue residue or anything. When putting it back together, one of the torx screws snapped the acrylic, so there's a nice arc going to the USB port now. If you guys want I can take some pics of the PCB as well.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a keybox that works kind of like this:

I think it might work.

Oh, you aren't actually planning on actually attaching it to keys? I guess it would be fine then.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's a shame because I was looking at it with interest, but I think it would be a bit fragile. Hopefully it spurs some competition in the £100-£200 network tester space, because I would struggle to justify a Fluke for the few occasions I need a tester - we have guys we use to actually pull, terminate and test drops.

My trusty Peak Atlas IT will have to do for now until something better comes along.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Thanks Ants posted:

It's a shame because I was looking at it with interest, but I think it would be a bit fragile. Hopefully it spurs some competition in the £100-£200 network tester space, because I would struggle to justify a Fluke for the few occasions I need a tester - we have guys we use to actually pull, terminate and test drops.

My trusty Peak Atlas IT will have to do for now until something better comes along.

Fragile in what way? The build quality of the main device is fairly solid, and you could always transfer the board into all sorts of cases, I'm even guessing they used a common aluminium case you can probably order from china for 5 $ with properly closed ends to drill hones in yourself.

e:
The most annoying part are the RGB LEDs, which use "kind of" light pipes to shine out the front, it's hard to tell what color they are, as they seem to just shine the colors side by side more than mixed, and they should have been diffused IMO.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 28, 2015

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

MagnumOpus posted:

Just tell them because two is better than 1. Don't go into the whole redundancy thing. I learned along time ago that just gets blank expressions.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Well, today was my last day at my current place. My boss sat me down earlier this month and told me that despite the improvements that I've made and sustained over the last few months following what felt like everyone in my life taking a collective dump on me, I was going to be out the door by the end of the month. I actually liked the job, and am kind of sad, but at the same time it's pushed me to apply for a new position which I will be starting on the 9th in a much more exciting and better compensating environment.

This is the most :unsmith: post I've seen all day

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know if it was this thread or another, but someone had talked about non IT people having access to a computer or a switch or something and someone posted an amazon link to a snazzy looking lockbox for computers.

Anyone know the link or the search term I should be using?

Edit:
Found it in the ticket thread,
It was a Tripp-Lite wall mount rack.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 28, 2015

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't know if it was this thread or another, but someone had talked about non IT people having access to a computer or a switch

Two of the dorms on campus were built before networking was mainstream, and so about 15 years after they were built they were retrofitted for Ethernet. Only problem is, there's only one port per room and it's either two or three people to a room, depending. Students had to buy their own switches if they wanted additional ports, till about 2 years ago when Residence Life got tired of complaints. They ended up putting a 4 port switch in every room, much to IT's chagrin.

We've had surprisingly little issues with students creating network loops, but about once per week we get a call about internet not working and just about every time there's no uplink because the student unplugged the cable from the wall and plugged it into their PS4 or whatever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I probably know the answer to this already, but how likely is it that someone would actually plug a network cable into one port on the switch and the other end into another? or is there another way they would be causing network loops? I really know very little about networking, aside from the OSI model and how to terminate 568-A and B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Many phones have a switch port for a PC. If you have two drops per cube, loops are not uncommon as people plug both cables into their phone.