Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

Squalitude posted:

Philomena Cunk explaining Monster Munch to a top doctor was pretty amazing.

"medicine crisps..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Even though Fortitude has dropped in quality since the first episode I was still going to watch the rest of the series. But last nights episode was so loving stupid, I give up.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
In news that actually excites me Jack Whitehall has just announced there's going to be a Bad Education film

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Latest episode of Cucumber.

scene 1. :ghost:

scene 2: :kiddo: :jerkbag:

:a2m:

:fuckoff:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Koburn posted:

Even though Fortitude has dropped in quality since the first episode I was still going to watch the rest of the series. But last nights episode was so loving stupid, I give up.

Sky's other new production, Critical, is really good so far. It's gruesome, tense as heck, and way more exciting than I expected.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Jesus Christ, Cucumber went somewhere else this week. I've never seen a writer so uneven in quality as Russell T Davies. I think his heart is much more into something like this than it ever was with Dr Who.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Squalitude posted:

Philomena Cunk explaining Monster Munch to a top doctor was pretty amazing.

"Medicine Crisps" made me laugh far too much. And the onions bit.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Koburn posted:

Im quoting you again having just caught up on fortitude. It started, with episode one, with quite an interesting premise, went from interesting to boring quite quickly, then from boring to er, wtf is even happening this is ridiculous, explain these things you dicks!

I'm going to watch it to conclusion just to see how bad it can get from here, I'm confident it can become laughable.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

In news that actually excites me Jack Whitehall has just announced there's going to be a Bad Education film

Is Sarah Solemani going to be in it?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Total Meatlove posted:

Is Sarah Solemani going to be in it?

I'd assume so, she was a pretty major character.

I actually enjoyed Bad Education, so I'm tentatively excited for this.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just discovered Flintoff Lord of the Fries and I'm enjoying it more then I expected. It helps that the Downton Abbey butler Jim Carter is the narrator but Flintoff really seems like he's having a really good time with it which makes it fun to watch.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Jesus Christ Cucumber holy loving poo poo

Edit: I mean gently caress

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Akuma posted:

Jesus Christ Cucumber holy loving poo poo

Edit: I mean gently caress

It went to a startlingly dark place this episode, didn't it? Wasn't expecting that at all.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Irisi posted:

It went to a startlingly dark place this episode, didn't it? Wasn't expecting that at all.
My wife and I called it way back at the beginning, but not the specifics. But it didn't make any difference, we still spent the last 15 minutes watching through our fingers.

And then they casually reference and laugh about it in Banana. gently caress you! :(

Edit: a little while ago somebody posted a very funny observation about cucumber in the form of recounting what happened in the episode last week, which was actually the broad summary for every episode. I laughed because it was true. This episode said that that was kind of the point.

This week's Banana was so obviously cute to counteract Cucumber. Can't blame them. I spent most of the episode being frustrated with the main character, though. Could never live with somebody like that.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 1, 2015

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Is the next Weekly Wipe a clip show again? It seems like such a waste on a 6 week series.

e: That was more a rhetorical question than anything, I just checked and it is.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irisi posted:

No idea what this show is but spoilers?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Please don't discuss television itt, even in the vaguest way.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

Cucumber spoilers! I'd seriously consider just watching it instead of reading this, but if you know you won't...

In the first episode, the main character's boyfriend asks the main character to marry him, he says no and enters some sort of mid-life crisis that involves running out on the boyfriend in a spectacularly dickish way to chase young boys. While MC is doing that, boyfriend pursues a new guy at work that flip-flops between horrifically homophobic and up for experimentation. It's a fairly fluffy show (no pun intended) about gay men and their lifestyles.

6 episodes later MC realises he still loves boyfriend and tries to make amends, but boyfriend is finally getting somewhere with new guy. On a night out, a dead lady appears to boyfriend and tells him it's not worth it, but boyfriend thinks it is. They go back to new guy's place and fool around, sucking each other off.

Then the guy finishes and flips the gently caress out, being hyper aggressive, saying boyfriend's going to tell everyone about it, then he caves his skull in with a golf club. Boyfriend sits back up, head visibly caved in, blood gushing from the horrific wound. His life flashes before his eyes, and he realises what he had with the main character. END.

Banana is the sort of companion show to Cucumber, relates in some way to each episode. This episode had a copper lady who alludes to the events from the end of Cucumber and it kind of gets laughed off. gently caress.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 1, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XMNN posted:

Is the next Weekly Wipe a clip show again? It seems like such a waste on a 6 week series.

Yeah I really don't understand the reasoning. If they only have the budget and time to make a 5 week series, do that. Clip shows should be reserved for the mid-point of a 15+ episode run.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Rarity posted:

Russel T Davies' new show on Channel 4 Cucumber is really quite good and you should watch it. Think an updated Queer As Folk. Banana is a companion show more like Skins with a focus on a different character each week. Same Manchefer setting with a little overlap mostly of characters appearing in the background of each other.

Not spoilering it for you because it'll lack Impact without 5 weeks of getting to know the characters and that's too much typing than I can be bothered with. Just trust us and marathon it while you wait for House of Cards to download.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cerv posted:

Not spoilering it for you because it'll lack Impact without 5 weeks of getting to know the characters and that's too much typing than I can be bothered with. Just trust us and marathon it while you wait for House of Cards to download.
Too late!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched Uncle due to this thread and am up to episode 2 of the current season... Am I the only one who doesn't care for the musical stuff? I mean, I know it's a show about a musician so it naturally has to do something with it, but I haven't seen one bit I enjoy. It feels like I'm supposed to agree that the protagonist is actually a decent musician despite what life is telling him/him as a person, but it's bad. Really bad.

Rest of the show is a lot of fun though, and worth putting up with a few minutes of it per episode.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

XMNN posted:

I think I read somewhere that it's budget reasons why it's always five and a clip show with a few new bits.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Akuma posted:

Cucumber spoilers! I'd seriously consider just watching it instead of reading this, but if you know you won't...

In the first episode, the main character's boyfriend asks the main character to marry him, he says no and enters some sort of mid-life crisis that involves running out on the boyfriend in a spectacularly dickish way to chase young boys. While MC is doing that, boyfriend pursues a new guy at work that flip-flops between horrifically homophobic and up for experimentation. It's a fairly fluffy show (no pun intended) about gay men and their lifestyles.

6 episodes later MC realises he still loves boyfriend and tries to make amends, but boyfriend is finally getting somewhere with new guy. On a night out, a dead lady appears to boyfriend and tells him it's not worth it, but boyfriend thinks it is. They go back to new guy's place and fool around, sucking each other off.

Then the guy finishes and flips the gently caress out, being hyper aggressive, saying boyfriend's going to tell everyone about it, then he caves his skull in with a golf club. Boyfriend sits back up, head visibly caved in, blood gushing from the horrific wound. His life flashes before his eyes, and he realises what he had with the main character. END.

Banana is the sort of companion show to Cucumber, relates in some way to each episode. This episode had a copper lady who alludes to the events from the end of Cucumber and it kind of gets laughed off. gently caress.

Also, Dead Lady is Hazel from Queer as Folk.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched Uncle due to this thread and am up to episode 2 of the current season... Am I the only one who doesn't care for the musical stuff? I mean, I know it's a show about a musician so it naturally has to do something with it, but I haven't seen one bit I enjoy. It feels like I'm supposed to agree that the protagonist is actually a decent musician despite what life is telling him/him as a person, but it's bad. Really bad.

Rest of the show is a lot of fun though, and worth putting up with a few minutes of it per episode.

you are thinking too much into it and this is your mistake

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm really not, it comes down to whether I enjoy it or not and I don't because it's really bad. Writing songs that are both good and funny is hard work, and the songs in Uncle aren't either.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I put on the tv and some retarded Matt Lucas show was on where everyone spoke in sim-babble but somehow I watched the whole thing.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm really not, it comes down to whether I enjoy it or not and I don't because it's really bad. Writing songs that are both good and funny is hard work, and the songs in Uncle aren't either.

If it helps this is my view too and I think the music bits are utterly pointless

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I agree about the music bits, they bring nothing to the show.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

hmm you are all wrong.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

henpod posted:

I put on the tv and some retarded Matt Lucas show was on where everyone spoke in sim-babble but somehow I watched the whole thing.

I put it on for ten minutes waiting for the documentary about Crossrail and, well, I watched rugby highlights instead

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

henpod posted:

I didn't even make it through the opening titles, they provoked a reaction akin to the Rage virus in me.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

TinTower posted:

Also, Dead Lady is Hazel from Queer as Folk.

I can't even remember her from that.

Oh god I just remembered how Queer as Folk ended.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I agree about the music bits, they bring nothing to the show.

I love his music and comedy generally, but I kinda agree the songs in the show are lacking something, like the songs from season two of Flight of the Conchords.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

BSam posted:

I love his music and comedy generally, but I kinda agree the songs in the show are lacking something, like the songs from season two of Flight of the Conchords.

I disagree totally with this

Sugalumps, Hurt Feelings, You dont have to be a Prostitute, Too Many Dicks on the Dancefloor, Carol Brown, We're Both in Love with a Sexy Lady, Rambling Through the Avenues of Time

All great. Yeah theres some duff tracks but there were season 1 too

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Padje posted:

I can't even remember her from that.

Oh god I just remembered how Queer as Folk ended.

the good ending from the 1st series? or the second mini-series that just felt a bit tacked on?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just to be a bit off topic, but if you liked Flight of the Conchords and you haven't seen What We Do In The Shadows... rectify that immediately. It's so fun, and it's great how the premise (4 vampires flat share in New Zealand) doesn't get old after about 20 minutes. Both Jermaine and Murray are in it, was an unexpected treat.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Cerv posted:

the good ending from the 1st series? or the second mini-series that just felt a bit tacked on?

The second. With the gun.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just to be a bit off topic, but if you liked Flight of the Conchords and you haven't seen What We Do In The Shadows... rectify that immediately. It's so fun, and it's great how the premise (4 vampires flat share in New Zealand) doesn't get old after about 20 minutes. Both Jermaine and Murray are in it, was an unexpected treat.

Seconding this, easily one of my favourite films that's come out recently. It really is just a fun film and each character has a wonderfully distinct personality. Definitely recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

McDragon posted:

I think I read somewhere that it's budget reasons why it's always five and a clip show with a few new bits.

It's stupid to have a clip show for a series that is only 5 shows long. Maybe if they hadn't hired that woman pretending to be Russel Brand / a blogger they could have stretched to another half hour of Brooker talking about stuff which is what most people tune in for.

Maybe I'm getting old but I just don't get house of fools. Vic and Bob doing a poor imitation of Bottom crossed with Mrs Brown's boys (which is also poo poo)