Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Jack Gladney posted:

Nonwhite people who live in New York: Ernie Hudson, Reginald VelJohnson

Don't forget the "The walls of the 53rd precinct were bleeding" guy!

And Cheech.

That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
You're forgetting all the black guys in the jail scene! :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

There's also one of the dudes who looks up when the guys enter the museum.

Edit: Asian guy during the marriage counselling experiment.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Kevyn posted:

You're forgetting all the black guys in the jail scene! :v:

Oh yeah, there ya go! :downsgun:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The board game has passed $850k and the next two stretch goals have been revealed with 8 days to go.

Agent Ortiz:

And Ivo Shandor:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Clarify something for me: These stretch goals, they mean that they'll be included with every purchase of the game, right? I don't have the money right now to back this, but I sure as hell will be picking it up after it releases. How much stuff will I be missing out on? The things I really care about are the extra board game tiles, not so much the extra characters.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Clarify something for me: These stretch goals, they mean that they'll be included with every purchase of the game, right? I don't have the money right now to back this, but I sure as hell will be picking it up after it releases. How much stuff will I be missing out on? The things I really care about are the extra board game tiles, not so much the extra characters.

Everything marked 'Kickstarter Exclusive' will not be available at retail. Most of the stretch goals will be included in the base version of the game, but not all. Some are collectors edition exclusive.

That's the idea anyway.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It also says in the upper right corner specifically which backers will get these bonuses. In the case of the latest two, only those Paranormal ($80) level or higher will get the bonuses.

So, for example, the $80 backing will get you the base game + all the other playable/boss figures. Mass Hysteria includes all the add-ons, plus 4 exclusive game tiles, plus more missions, plus Stay Puff red boss, plus sandman boss, plus a print, plus glow in the dark dice. If you want to get the just the bonus tiles you can add the sets for $5-12 a piece separately. I don't see an option there for just the base game, so I think any pledge under $80 doesn't get you anything other than a thank you.

So if you don't drop $80 now, you will miss out on extra ghosts, extra tiles, extra missions, and extra GBs. Basically you will get everything on the kickstarter page before you hit the "Pledge Levels" section. Anything past that is exclusive to the fundraising event. I'm not familiar with Cryptozoec so I can't say they won't release it later, but I'd lean towards 'no'.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 4, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Mass Hysteria exclusive stretch goals are a Tobin's Spirit Guide box for the ghost cards, and game tiles for the Shandor Building and the Library. As said above, they can be purchased for $5 more per item. I suspect they'll show off more stuff as it wraps up. If you're going to jump on it, jump now, basically.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So I have a course on ghost stories at my university and have a general question for everyone:

Would you consider Dana's building in GB1 to be an evolution of the concept of a haunted house?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So I have a course on ghost stories at my university and have a general question for everyone:

Would you consider Dana's building in GB1 to be an evolution of the concept of a haunted house?

Sure, why not? Just because it's in an apartment building rather than an actual house makes no difference. A filmic haunted house, following various tropes. Troubled past events intruding on present day, unexplained phenomena, visitations from other worldly beings.

See also: Event Horizon

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The_Doctor posted:

Sure, why not? Just because it's in an apartment building rather than an actual house makes no difference. A filmic haunted house, following various tropes. Troubled past events intruding on present day, unexplained phenomena, visitations from other worldly beings.

See also: Event Horizon

My major concern is that it has ties more to the demonic end of things as opposed to the hotel or library. My term paper is on the evolution of the haunted house in fiction, so will be also including the Overlook Hotel, maybe the Deitz house from Beetlejuice, and maybe the cabin from Evil Dead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And Poltergeist I presume.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Data Graham posted:

And Poltergeist I presume.

Quite possibly yes, although with both Beetlejuice and Poltergeist, those are more traditional haunted houses. Same sort of thing with Evil Dead. I want to explore it as an evolution to things like apartment buildings and hotels.

Although that does leave Poltergeist 2 open...

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Poltergeist 2 is another house. 3 is an apartment building.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

My major concern is that it has ties more to the demonic end of things as opposed to the hotel or library.

It's interdimensional, technically, but you could argue that the same applies to any haunting since there's no universally accepted concept of where ghosts and demons come from.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
^^Fair enough point.

Kevyn posted:

Poltergeist 2 is another house. 3 is an apartment building.

My bad. It's been awhile.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I always enjoyed House :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJNa5lYGqLM

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Dana's apartment is a perfect example of a haunted house, with I guess the twist being it was purposely designed that way. Usually haunted houses are haunted because something bad happened there, somebody died there or whatever. Dana's building was specifically designed by the architect to direct all the psychic energy or whatever all into her apartment. Probably because that's where Gozer was going to cross over.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Like the glass house in 13 Ghosts (non-Scooby Doo variety), also purpose built. Although that was technically "haunted" in the same way the GB Firehouse is "haunted", ie a place that contained ghosts, but they were placed there.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
A haunted house as a plot device or a location? Because there's a whole bunch of film that takes place away from the building, if you catch my drift. I could be wrong, but when I think "haunted house" film the building itself is front and centre of the plot, whereas in ghostbusters it's about the dudes who just so happen to be involved with this woman who lives in a haunted house(tower block) Again, I could be way off.

As an aside, don't forget about DOOM HOUSE.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ChogsEnhour posted:

A haunted house as a plot device or a location? Because there's a whole bunch of film that takes place away from the building, if you catch my drift. I could be wrong, but when I think "haunted house" film the building itself is front and centre of the plot, whereas in ghostbusters it's about the dudes who just so happen to be involved with this woman who lives in a haunted house(tower block) Again, I could be way off.

As an aside, don't forget about DOOM HOUSE.

Both, really. Like I said, it's about the evolution from English Great Houses like in Turn of the Screw or the Bram Stoker short story The Judge's House into the different formats we see today like the Overlook, the Shandor Building, or the Knowlby cabin.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just saw a Kotaku article claiming there is a male cast counterpart movie slated with the makers of Winter Soldier and Channing Tatum attached, I don't know what is real anymore :gonk:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The_Doctor posted:

The Mass Hysteria exclusive stretch goals are a Tobin's Spirit Guide box for the ghost cards, and game tiles for the Shandor Building and the Library. As said above, they can be purchased for $5 more per item. I suspect they'll show off more stuff as it wraps up. If you're going to jump on it, jump now, basically.

I have just gone for Mass Hysteria and it's your fault! :allears:

Edit: I had idiot questions I then found the answer to.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 10, 2015

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Lofty132 posted:

Just saw a Kotaku article claiming there is a male cast counterpart movie slated with the makers of Winter Soldier and Channing Tatum attached, I don't know what is real anymore :gonk:

There is evidence to indicate this is real now. What.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Indeed, AV Club also reporting it.

'The franchise rights alone will make us rich beyond our wildest dreams!'

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Lofty132 posted:

I have just gone for Mass Hysteria and it's your fault! :allears:

If something is 'locked' I assume that means as a late backer I won't get it? Or am I doing this kickstarter-ing wrong?

It's locked because the goal hasn't been reached yet. The Cthulhu stuff won't unlock until they've raised $1,050,000 (which they may have by now). You get all unlocked stretch goals regardless of when you pledge.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks, fingers crossed the goal gets reached before the end! I also added on a spectral ghostbusters set because I'm a giant man baby who makes bad financial decisions.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Lofty132 posted:

Indeed, AV Club also reporting it.

'The franchise rights alone will make us rich beyond our wildest dreams!'

Some crazy person said something about making it into a cinematic universe.

Dan and Ivan are doing it.

What.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

hhhat posted:

Some crazy person said something about making it into a cinematic universe.

Dan and Ivan are doing it.

What.

I believe the crazy person who said that WAS Dan.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Hey, I haven't checked in on this thread since early January. Let's see what's going on here!

Scroto Baggins posted:

Oh cool.

Also New All-Female 'Ghostbusters' Cast Chosen. I wonder what Ghostbuster news we'll have in 2 months? Another cast? New director? Dan Aykroyd flies to the moon? The future will tell.

I'd still like to see Aykroyd's unfiltered vision for Ghostbusters. Someone cook up some sorta alternate reality device where we can see a reality wherein Jim Belushi died and John Belushi refuses to.

Lofty132 posted:

Not even six loving weeks.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Before the freak out happens, it sort of sounds based off the Deadline article that, if I'm getting it right:

Specifically, using this quote as a starting point:

quote:

This is a branded entertainment, a scary supernatural premise mixed with comedy. Paul Feig’s film will be the first version of that, shooting in June to come out in July 2016. He’s got four of the funniest women in the world, and there will be other surprises to come. The second film has a wonderful idea that builds on that. Drew will start writing and the hope is to be ready for the Russo Brothers’ next window next summer to shoot, with the movie coming out the following year. It’s just the beginning of what I hope will be a lot of wonderful movies.”

-All-female Ghostbusters is still happening. A 'sequel' with a male cast is being planned.
-Ghostcorps is a production company with the original GB folks and others and is being created to spin out Ghostbusters related stuff.
-Comments were made that just about every GB plan for the last 25 years never happened because too many people had too much vetoing power.

Some thoughts of mine that spring up immediately:

-It might be that Sony wants to turn Ghostbusters into an Marvel Studios-styled series of films with one coming out every year, each with a focus on different characters, different enemies, different tone, but all in the same shared-universe of Ghostbuster stuff.
-GhostCorps might end up being essentially their name for a GB-themed Avengers-like 'superteam', or the name of the 'guy' team.
-They have an idea that has them really aiming for a new GB film for the Summer of 2016 and 2017. That kind of production and filming one at a time might require them to have more than one cast to let the actors do other movies.
-It's more about maybe creating a brand that they can use to sell the property to audiences by letting them release more Ghostbusters-like horror-comedies under one production company.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

Before the freak out happens, it sort of sounds based off the Deadline article that, if I'm getting it right:

Specifically, using this quote as a starting point:

-All-female Ghostbusters is still happening. A 'sequel' with a male cast is being planned.
-Ghostcorps is a production company with the original GB folks and others and is being created to spin out Ghostbusters related stuff.
-Comments were made that just about every GB plan for the last 25 years never happened because too many people had too much vetoing power.

Some thoughts of mine that spring up immediately:

-It might be that Sony wants to turn Ghostbusters into an Marvel Studios-styled series of films with one coming out every year, each with a focus on different characters, different enemies, different tone, but all in the same shared-universe of Ghostbuster stuff.
-GhostCorps might end up being essentially their name for a GB-themed Avengers-like 'superteam', or the name of the 'guy' team.
-They have an idea that has them really aiming for a new GB film for the Summer of 2016 and 2017. That kind of production and filming one at a time might require them to have more than one cast to let the actors do other movies.
-It's more about maybe creating a brand that they can use to sell the property to audiences by letting them release more Ghostbusters-like horror-comedies under one production company.
this is all retarded sony is retarded

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

never thought I'd loving hate ghostbusters someday but it looks like that day will come sooner than later

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Man this is an absolutely perfect "be careful what you wish for" situation.

"You've been saying you want more Ghostbusters for 25 goddamn years? Here, have all the loving Ghostbusters! Choke on them!"

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Lofty132 posted:

Thanks, fingers crossed the goal gets reached before the end! I also added on a spectral ghostbusters set because I'm a giant man baby who makes bad financial decisions.

The_Doctor should go into marketing.

Just a reminder that the Zombie Taxi Drivers are not free and were only unlocked as an add-on option, so you'll want to buy those too in addition to the Spectral Ghostbusters if you want every unique (non-Impossible) enemy mob available.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lofty132 posted:

If you want to be hyper pedantic the Evil Dead cabin isn't haunted but the woods around it are if that helps.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Basebf555 posted:

Man this is an absolutely perfect "be careful what you wish for" situation.

"You've been saying you want more Ghostbusters for 25 goddamn years? Here, have all the loving Ghostbusters! Choke on them!"

Marvel has half a drat century of archives to draw upon for stories and inspiration. Ghostbusters had a broken fever dream script by Dan Aykroyd and problematic sequel.

This sounds like executives and marketing looking at Marvel's success without any loving clue as to why it works beyond "lots of movies!"

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

OK, that's weird... I never, in all my viewings, looked over at Egon when he did that.

• Locked thread