Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It’s time once again for our favorite form of legitimate theater: American Political Theater - March 2015!

The 114th United States Congress is now well underway, and while February was not quite the wild ride January was (a President’s Day recess helped), there’s still plenty of news to report, what with Republicans continuing to lunge from crisis to crisis...

The Obama Update

While Obama hasn’t been quite as aggressive about it as he was in January, his alter-ego Trollbama has still been out in full force.

114th Congress Bingo Card

Now that we’re deeper into the Congressional session (with fewer days this month to boot) less has changed with respect to the predictions I laid out in January. Still, the beginning of a month is as good a time to take stock as any.

Other News

Talk to other goons (why would you want to do that?)
Remember that we have an IRC channel at synirc in #poligoon for livesteaming stuff.

Goon Recommendations
Documentaries
Slavery by Another Name

Talks

Long pieces

Books

Twitter feeds

• @costareports (Robert Costa, Washington Post, formerly National Review): Conservative-leaning journalist to whom Republican sources often leak backroom stories (Republican retreats, Presidential campaigns, etc.)
  • @daveweigel (Dave Weigel, Bloomberg Politics, formerly Slate): "Idiosyncratic libertarian" journalist who is second only to Robert Costa in connections/interviews with Republican officials. Contrary to popular belief, not D&D superstar Joementum.
  • @BruceBartlett (Bruce Bartlett, ex-Reagan/Bush official): "Lifelong conservative who now thinks the GOP panders to fools, whom he calls wankers. My tweets should not always be taken seriously."
  • The following are semi-random selections from a list offered by Rygar201 and may be good or bad.
    • @owillis (Olivier Willis, research fellow, Media Matters)
    • @mattyglesias (Matt Yglesias, executive editor, Vox)
    • @JuddLegum (Judd Legum, Editor-in-Chief, Think Progress)
    • @dick_nixon "37th President of the United States. Messages from the President are unsigned, others from Ronald Ziegler. "
    • @EricBoehlert (Eric Boehlert, Media Matters)
    • @JamilSmith (Jamil Smith, senior editor, The New Republic)
    • @jonathanchait (Jonathan Chait, New York Magazine)
    • @nielslesniewski (Neils Lesniewski, Senate coverage, Roll Call)
    • @abwhite7 (Abraham White, former comms for Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chuck Schumer (D-NY))
    • @DSenFloor (Senate D Floor Watch): "Live floor updates from the Senate Democrats"
    • @billmon1 (Billmon)
    • @ebruenig (Elizabeth Bruenig, The New Republic)

Related threads
"US Politics" is an incredibly broad topic, as A) the country is freaking huge and B) given our role in international events pretty much everything impacts us. So there are other subthreads
2016 Presidential Primary
2016 US Senate Elections
SCOTUS thread
Right Wing Media

There are also regional subthreads that are usually pretty slow, but sometimes cross-pollinate with this thread when something important is happening.
Pacific Northwest
Illinois
Texas
California
There was a South thread, too, but it's been dead since last July.

Lifted the rest of the above from FriedChicken. As before post suggestions for adding to the above and I'll edit them in.

And remember folks, drink chat goes in D&D chat thread. Drink responsibly. Your liver will thank you.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

lets all move to canada

Bassetking
Feb 20, 2008

And it is, it is a glorious thing, to be a Basset King!
The Accelerationism is getting off to an early start this month, I see.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

lets all move to canada

they still have harper though and hes scary

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Tiler Kiwi posted:

they still have harper though and hes scary

it's true and there's no guarantee he's going away in 2016

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Bassetking posted:

The Accelerationism is getting off to an early start this month, I see.

Is accelerationism the politcal meme of 2015?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I hope that the Bibi visit backfires for everyone involved in it.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Speaking of Middle East morons with laughable names, how did Sisi manage to become some sort of conservative folk hero? Is it really as simple as mowing down muslims in the street?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
He spoke out against radical Islam after the Charlie Hebdo attacks. :jerkbag:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

baw posted:

I hope that the Bibi visit backfires for everyone involved in it.

The funny thing is, it's like Bibi decided to give a free handout to the tea party and to Obama at the same time. He and the mainstream republicans both come out looking damaged, but the tea party gets their photo ops and Fox News appearances in while Obama gets to sit in the Oval Office shaking his head with regret (and no smug pleasure, at all).

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I still don't understand how Harper has managed to hang on to the PM seat as long as he has.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

lets all move to canada

it'd be perfect but for the Canadians

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "They want a master religion just as the Nazis wanted a master race.” ~ Lindsey Graham, on ISIS at AIPAC.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "They want a master religion just as the Nazis wanted a master race.” ~ Lindsey Graham, on ISIS at AIPAC.

I too agree with keeping religion as far away from government.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wait when is our next debt limit fight?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm very concerned about net neutrality suddenly becoming an extremely partisan issue. I mean good drat it, 80% of people agreed with it, and now the conservative media leaders have decided and now 45% of the people will always be against it and think Obamanet is a thing, and if any republican President is EVER elected it will be over.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Grouchio posted:

Wait when is our next debt limit fight?

I think the fiscal year ends Sept 30th.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The debt limit is temporarily suspended until March 15, a date which isn't at all ominous.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

greatn posted:

I'm very concerned about net neutrality suddenly becoming an extremely partisan issue. I mean good drat it, 80% of people agreed with it, and now the conservative media leaders have decided and now 45% of the people will always be against it and think Obamanet is a thing, and if any republican President is EVER elected it will be over.
Don't you know? Everything is partisan in Obama's America. Your food choices are partisan. Your clothing is partisan. Your job is partisan. Your cat and dog are partisan (my cat's probably a libertarian, tbqh). Romance is partisan. Christ, breathing is partisan.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
With the cpac polling on the issue, what are the chances of the Rs co-opting the legalization issue early to outflank the Dems and secure the youth vote?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

With the cpac polling on the issue, what are the chances of the Rs co-opting the legalization issue early to outflank the Dems and secure the youth vote?

CPAC is highly populated by college Republicans who don't control anything in the party. There's a reason the Pauls always win the straw poll.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Joementum posted:

The debt limit is temporarily suspended until March 15, a date which isn't at all ominous.

If anyone gets the Caesar treatment it would probably be Ted Cruz.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Schizotek posted:

Speaking of Middle East morons with laughable names, how did Sisi manage to become some sort of conservative folk hero? Is it really as simple as mowing down muslims in the street?

Pick one:

• "At least he is fighting ISIS (American air strikes don't count)"
  • He's standing up to Islamic terrorism and choking off the lifelines to the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas
  • Obama supported Mubarak's ouster (even if he opposed it at first) which led to Islamic terrorists (the Muslim Brotherhood) taking power. Sisi opposed this and set it right against Obama's wishes. (The enemy of my enemy...)
  • Obama refuses to restore foreign aid to Egypt because Sisi took power in a coup. So the best way to oppose Obama is to support Sisi.

skaboomizzy posted:

I think the fiscal year ends Sept 30th.

That'd be the budget. Debt ceiling returns March 15, though extraordinary measures mean it might not be a problem until October... Right when Congress is going to be dueling with Obama over defunding the EPA/FCC/DHS. Huh. Just like 2013.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 1, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Joementum posted:

Why, man, he doth bestride the narrow world

Like a Colossus, and we petty men

Walk under his huge legs and peep about

To find ourselves dishonorable graves.

Men at some time are masters of their fates.

The fault, dear Boehner, is not in our stars

But in ourselves, that we are underlings.

Boehner and Obama—what should be in that “Obama”?

I haven't put a ton of time into that Politics list (a lot of the good names had been mentioned before), but BillMon and Dick Nixon are both pro follows, if for very different reasons

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

CPAC is highly populated by college Republicans who don't control anything in the party. There's a reason the Pauls always win the straw poll.
That's funny cuz you only ever see really old people in the audience. Still, good to hear.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

site posted:

That's funny cuz you only ever see really old people in the audience. Still, good to hear.

That is because they strictly enforce the "no pants = no sitting" rule.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

funtax posted:

The Purge should be a thing...

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

site posted:

The Purge should be a thing...

I don't think you want to give those boys license to saddle up daddy's retinue for a good ol' fashioned nigrah hunt

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

site posted:

The main ballroom stage at a conference is the sideshow.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Aren't our current measures not that bad if the debt clock predicts only a 2 trillion dollar increase in national debt by 2019?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

funtax posted:

Bowties and matching underwear, how cute.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
House Majority Leader McCarthy is making the Sunday Morning Show rounds endorsing the idea of eliminating the legislative filibuster

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/house-majority-leader-endorses-nuclear-option-n315106

The Senate GOP spent 8 years filibustering everything, now as soon as they have the Senate again there is the push to strip that power so the Dems can't do the same. Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

The main ballroom stage at a conference is the sideshow.

It is a pity that the ballroom is where CSPAN et al park their cameras for the whole three days.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

site posted:

Slim to none, and Slim just left town. Keep in mind that the demographics of who goes to CPAC are very different from who votes in primary elections. CPAC has a large libertarian and College Republican contingent, the primary voters are 80%+ old evangelicals. More to the point, the war on drugs serves a very useful purpose for the established interests of the GOP (and to a lesser extent, the Dems) that they don't want to upend.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Grouchio posted:

Aren't our current measures not that bad if the debt clock predicts only a 2 trillion dollar increase in national debt by 2019?

It has nothing to do with good policy or reasons or anything in particular, it's a tool. The national debt as an issue is purely about pushing lovely unpopular policies using the cry of 'debt' as leverage. It's also part of the reason why the deficit was so drastically increased under Bush and the Republican congress from 2002-2006 - once you are out of power you can scream up and down about the debt and deficit as a means of attacking SS/medicare/medicaid, despite those not being the cause of the debt in the first place (well, Medicare part D is part of it, but it's mostly the wars and the Bush tax cuts and the bank crisis killing tax revenues).

Without the talk of the debt, there would be zero traction in any sort of compromise on entitlements, as the programs actually work and other than things like Medicare part D's lovely price negotiation limits, are largely efficient as hell. You can see the same thing play out in Australia - during the good years under a conservative government, there was a ton of tax concessions/cuts, and now rather than fix those they'll use the scare of debt (and they are way lower than ours) as a means of attacking the safety net, especially for the 30 and under crowd, which is a great way of driving down the cost of labor over time.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

The corporate return filing date isn't ominous?! :eyepop: Oh, the Ides of March. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

House Majority Leader McCarthy is making the Sunday Morning Show rounds endorsing the idea of eliminating the legislative filibuster

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/house-majority-leader-endorses-nuclear-option-n315106

The Senate GOP spent 8 years filibustering everything, now as soon as they have the Senate again there is the push to strip that power so the Dems can't do the same. Raise your hand if you didn't see that coming.

This is a good thing though, because it doesn't change anything while Obama's in office and if the GOP goes full nuclear and they lose the senate in 2016 then all pressure goes back to the House unless the Democrats manage to throw away what should be a fairly solid shot at the presidency. If the Senate was full nuclear when Obama came in to office they might've gotten some more noteworthy poo poo done before the dems lost the House for the next 20 or so years.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Fried Chicken posted:

I figured they would wait until they had the White House too

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Democrats manage to throw away what should be a fairly solid shot at the presidency.

No spoilers for 2016 thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rygar201 posted:

I figured they would wait until they had the White House too

Almost nobody understands how the Senate works, so as long as the Democrats successfully filibuster everything it just makes everyone think the Republicans are incompetent. The Republicans know this because they pioneered the art of wrecking up the place and then running on a platform of look how messy this place is. Without the Senate Democrats stopping things, the narrative goes from Congress being unable to do anything to Obama and his Tyrannic Veto Pen vs Congress.

Plus they realize the Presidency is going to be an uphill battle for them next time.

• Locked thread