Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I'm working on converting my OnGUI UI into the new GUI system, and a lot of the OnGUI stuff depended on using the Rect.Contains method to find out if the mouse was clicking on certain parts of the inventory, etc. I found a way to convert the new RectTransform into a screen rect after looking around for a bit and fixing the only example I could find of this:

code:
function RectTransContains(rectTrans : RectTransform, point : Vector2)
{
 if (rectTrans == null) return false;
 var topLeft : Vector2 = rectTrans.position - Vector3(rectTrans.sizeDelta.x * rectTrans.pivot.x, rectTrans.sizeDelta.y * rectTrans.pivot.y, 0);
 var testRect : Rect = new Rect(topLeft.x, topLeft.y, rectTrans.sizeDelta.x, rectTrans.sizeDelta.y);
 if (testRect.Contains(point)) return true;
 else return false;
}
Hopefully this helps someone save some effort who is also converting their UI. You can also multiply each of the sizeDeltas in there by the UI.CanvasScale.scaleFactor to if you use that to change the whole size of your UI too. I haven't figured out how to account for rotations yet though.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

For those of you who do a lot of 3d modelling, do you find that 2d art skills are essential, or just extremely useful? I'm trying to build an animation and modelling curriculum for myself, and I'm waffling over whether or not investing the significant amount of time it would take to get basic drawing and figure sketching to a useful level would result in a serious improvement to my modelling, or if I should just say screw it, shun the visual, and focus on being a great programmer while relying on professional artists for guidance.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

For those of you who do a lot of 3d modelling, do you find that 2d art skills are essential, or just extremely useful? I'm trying to build an animation and modelling curriculum for myself, and I'm waffling over whether or not investing the significant amount of time it would take to get basic drawing and figure sketching to a useful level would result in a serious improvement to my modelling, or if I should just say screw it, shun the visual, and focus on being a great programmer while relying on professional artists for guidance.

I can't speak on game design, but in the art world where I come from you don't need to know how to draw to sculpt. In fact, many sculptors and those that work in 3d don't have well developed 2d skills. Usually just enough to get a rough sketch. Most can't draw realistically even if they could make a look alike wax figure. On the flip side, drawing is great for getting down ideas and resigning them. So if you wanted, for example, a cartoony art style them drawing would help a lot more.

In game design, from what I've learned from history, most 2d artists couldn't transition into 3d. Those that could do alright ended up doing textures and other flat stuff later put on models. In that respect, for simple cartoony graphics you'll want to study them to get decent. If you want "photo-realistic", it would be worth investing some research into how people turn photos of people into skins and such.

Just my opinion. It helps, but depends on how far your want to take it. Like, what are you looking to do in the immediate future? Minimalist textures wouldn't need much in the way of 2d experience to be honest. Just a good design aesthetic. I'm not involved in the industry though. (I still recommend a little!)

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I'm still working on the programming side, so this is more me lining up the next 8 months of study and practice, but my two biggest needs by far are character design and learning the complete 3d pipeline well enough to start breaking down my target aesthetic into actionable items so I can decide what to learn how to do myself, and what to outsource. The assets I'm going to need over the next three to four months are all pretty visually primitive (modular level pieces like walls/windows/doorframes, laboratory equipment, everyday items like pens, paper, food), so I was planning on effectively iterating through my asset list in order from simplest to most complex, with the hope that by the time I get to the end of my checklist and need clothing and people modeled and textured to be consistent with the rest of my aesthetic I'll have a much better sense of what needs a professional's touch.

The aesthetic my current project is focusing on is "minimalistic realism": I want characters to look like ordinary people in mundane settings, but I'm not setting out to wow anyone with the visuals, and my final spec has performance requirements that will require pretty low detail (models under 20k, preferably in the 8-10k range). I'm trying to assemble a curriculum that will ultimately lead to being able to generate stuff like http://www.3dtotal.com/index_tutorial_detailed.php?id=1662&catDisplay=1&roPos=1&page=1#.VPKYmi7m6h1 and have the knowledge to decimate/simplify it while staying consistent to the rest of my game aesthetic.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Don't really know why I made this

edit:

Bel Monte posted:

Figure out a simple yet annoying "game" mechanic and call it Droppy Bird.
It'll sell.

Oh poo poo - consecutive worms gives you points, diving without scoring resets you to zero.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 1, 2015

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Because it's hilarious?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

It'll sell.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Superrodan posted:

Does anyone know of any die roll plugins for Unity that allow you to roll a die to a predetermined outcome? I have my die models so I'd just need to basically look for an animation/script that simulates a die roll. The ones I found in the store just seem to be based on physics.

I figure the real, actual solution is to animate a die landing on one of each side and to just use the correct animation, but I'm a terrible animator and can't get the rigidbodies in Blender to actually behave in a way I'm happy with.

I know this post was from a loooong time ago (I had a lot of catch-up to do on this thread), but if you had a couple of precanned rolling animations, you'd always know which side would end up facing upwards, so when the dice is launched you could just change the die texture to one that has the desired result on the face that will end up facing upwards. It's a bit of a hack, but it should work!

KiddieGrinder posted:

That looks neat, any info?

Thanks man, not an awful lot to tell at the moment, just making a roguelike murder mystery game with a PS1 aesthetic. Once I get my poo poo together I'll put up some more screenshots!

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Omi no Kami posted:

It really depends. On stylized 3d stuff, texture maps usually end up looking like paintings (look at WoW, LoL, or other heavy style games). So in those cases, having painting/drawing skills is very helpful. However on more realistic art, like CoD or Battlefield, there's little to no actual painting involved, in fact there are a number of programs that were developed to do most of the texturing work for the artist (Ddo, Substance Painter/Designer, etc.)

Drawing also comes in handy in the pre-vis stage when you're making sketches of character concepts. With a great concept, the sculpting work comes a lot easier because you have a good idea of what it should look like.

Figure drawing itself is also good for studying human form, something which a lot of your 3d models will probably incorporate one way or another.

However, saying all of that, in a good team of developers, there's usually no need for any one person to be able to handle a lot of different aspects of art production. Basically there aren't many jack-of-all-trades, a lot of developers specialize in particular areas and excel in them, rather than being barely adequate in all different techniques.

Hope that helps.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 1, 2015

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
Not strictly game development-related, but has anyone got any experience of getting an OPC server to work with Unity?

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

It really depends. On stylized 3d stuff, texture maps usually end up looking like paintings (look at WoW, LoL, or other heavy style games). So in those cases, having painting/drawing skills is very helpful. However on more realistic art, like CoD or Battlefield, there's little to no actual painting involved, in fact there are a number of programs that were developed to do most of the texturing work for the artist (Ddo, Substance Painter/Designer, etc.)

Drawing also comes in handy in the pre-vis stage when you're making sketches of character concepts. With a great concept, the sculpting work comes a lot easier because you have a good idea of what it should look like.

Figure drawing itself is also good for studying human form, something which a lot of your 3d models will probably incorporate one way or another.

However, saying all of that, in a good team of developers, there's usually no need for any one person to be able to handle a lot of different aspects of art production. Basically there aren't many jack-of-all-trades, a lot of developers specialize in particular areas and excel in them, rather than being barely adequate in all different techniques.

Hope that helps.

That definitely helps, thank you for the feedback. :)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Because it's beautiful and made me crack up irl. Call it Fally Bird, mobile release, might make some minor bucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make it a cookie clicker clone, you buy upgrades to spew more birds to catch more worms.

Though you'd have to come up with some way to expire the bird sprites, maybe they slowly pull their head out and walk off screen in a daze.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

xzzy posted:

Though you'd have to come up with some way to expire the bird sprites, maybe they slowly pull their head out and walk off screen in a daze.
The worms have gotta eat. Use the birds as bait.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good thinking, have a big dune worm come up and devour everything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Good thinking, have a big dune worm come up and devour everything.

And if you do a pixel-perfect drop you can stab it in the eye for extra points, like the pterodactyl in Joust.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Hey everyone.

We are beginning to gather theme suggestions for SAGDC this year. I know it's a bit far off, but we're being a bit proactive to insure everything goes super smoothly this time around.

Submit here: http://goo.gl/forms/dFQTMzf7eb

View the responses here: http://goo.gl/9rkhsE

Submit away!

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I'm finally finishing this loving unity asset augh auughhghhh (writing editors takes forever and isn't that fun)
I'm starting to sketch out my next project, and I have two questions:

1) I haven't used Mono for UE yet, but is it ready to go - or at least somewhat usable? I want to get away from Unity for the time being, because I've just seen way too much of it recently, and I've been itching for a reason to try UE.

2) Do you guys know of any cool resources for procedural world map generation? I've been playing around with fractal generators to produce heightmaps, but I don't like the unrealistic results (for continents at least, islands with uniformly higher elevation towards the center makes sense. I really like this dude's tectonic plate simulation so I may try to ape it, but are there other methods that produce similar results?

I have no problem with a teleological approach, I just want to make something that looks sensible.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Onion Knight posted:

I'm finally finishing this loving unity asset augh auughhghhh (writing editors takes forever and isn't that fun)
I'm starting to sketch out my next project, and I have two questions:

1) I haven't used Mono for UE yet, but is it ready to go - or at least somewhat usable? I want to get away from Unity for the time being, because I've just seen way too much of it recently, and I've been itching for a reason to try UE.

2) Do you guys know of any cool resources for procedural world map generation? I've been playing around with fractal generators to produce heightmaps, but I don't like the unrealistic results (for continents at least, islands with uniformly higher elevation towards the center makes sense. I really like this dude's tectonic plate simulation so I may try to ape it, but are there other methods that produce similar results?

I have no problem with a teleological approach, I just want to make something that looks sensible.
For #1, last I heard it was still in "this is a really cool toy with potential but do NOT rely on it for production/actual stuff yet" state, and for #2, ironically this was just posted in the other gamedev thread, so hey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQOHX9hiL0

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

On the topic of map generation, is assembling maps inside of unity from modular parts still the preferred method? I've read some articles claiming that from an optimization standpoint it's faster to assemble each empty room into a single mesh in blender/maya, but I really don't understand the technical aspects behind the argument.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
this is probably too extravagant to be my tutorial boss but gently caress it it's too late to go back

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Shalinor posted:

For #1, last I heard it was still in "this is a really cool toy with potential but do NOT rely on it for production/actual stuff yet" state, and for #2, ironically this was just posted in the other gamedev thread, so hey!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPQOHX9hiL0

CouLd someone link the other gamedev thread? My SA-fu is terrible these days, thanks.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

shs posted:

this is probably too extravagant to be my tutorial boss but gently caress it it's too late to go back

I really hope the final boss is, like, a bunny or some poo poo.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

edit:

Oh poo poo - consecutive worms gives you points, diving without scoring resets you to zero.

I'd buy this game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

On the topic of map generation, is assembling maps inside of unity from modular parts still the preferred method? I've read some articles claiming that from an optimization standpoint it's faster to assemble each empty room into a single mesh in blender/maya, but I really don't understand the technical aspects behind the argument.

I wouldn't see why it would matter too much where you assemble the mesh. When I generate a level it is from individual pieces (like walls, floors, pipes, windows, etc) but then I mesh combine the static meshes down into rooms and hallway sections. Mesh combine is pretty fast and easy.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
So I'm plugging along on this Portal map and suddenly today this happens:

What I'm referring to is the straight line of light on the floor that doesn't look appropriate to the map.

I was also having a texture error related to accidentally using "vertex" textures on the ceiling, but I removed all instances of vertex textures from the map and I'm still having this thing on the floor. Not sure what to do about it. I found a community web page called ThinkingWithPortals.com but their user registration is closed so I can't post this there, the steam workshop forums seem like a mess. Just kinda at a loss what I could do that might fix this.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

FuzzySlippers posted:

I wouldn't see why it would matter too much where you assemble the mesh. When I generate a level it is from individual pieces (like walls, floors, pipes, windows, etc) but then I mesh combine the static meshes down into rooms and hallway sections. Mesh combine is pretty fast and easy.

Is there a way to do this in unity, or do you use blender/your preferred graphics tool?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Bel Monte posted:

It'll sell.

I would have gone for "Early Bird" because we all know that's who gets the worm.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Fuego Fish posted:

I would have gone for "Early Bird" because we all know that's who gets the worm.
I am now expecting a game about birds and statues called Turdy Bird.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Omi no Kami posted:

Is there a way to do this in unity, or do you use blender/your preferred graphics tool?

The game's procedural so this is happening real time in the editor or the build.

Something like this

is built from a ton of individual fbx meshes and then mesh combined into one mesh per room so for that one 23 different room meshes and 15 hallway meshes as well as a few dozen dynamic meshes (doors and such). This takes just a couple hundred milliseconds and I don't think matters much performance wise once you get going whether the meshes are procedural or imported that way.

I think what is more important is where you are most comfortable putting it together.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

caldrax posted:

So I'm plugging along on this Portal map and suddenly today this happens:

What I'm referring to is the straight line of light on the floor that doesn't look appropriate to the map.

I was also having a texture error related to accidentally using "vertex" textures on the ceiling, but I removed all instances of vertex textures from the map and I'm still having this thing on the floor. Not sure what to do about it. I found a community web page called ThinkingWithPortals.com but their user registration is closed so I can't post this there, the steam workshop forums seem like a mess. Just kinda at a loss what I could do that might fix this.
There are a number of places you can ask that have long dealt with Hammer's bullshit: Facepunch's mapping subforum, Interlopers, Reddit...

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Ah thanks, I've hit my burnout point for tonight, but I'll be sure to hit those tomorrow and see what I can learn. Appreciated.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
The Valve Wiki might also help.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

If you mean the weird sharp light and shadow spot, could it be coming from the window?

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
I got fighter formations working in my game many months ago, but they were sloppy and had lots of issues, not least with the lead ship flying way ahead of the rest of the formation. I've tried a few ways to improve it, but every solution had an unwanted side effect. So I sat down on Saturday feeling absolutely determined to put it to bed once and for all. The main issue is that I don't want the fighters to look like they're glued into their formation slot - they need to move naturally, but still remain in their slot like absolute pros, so I couldn't just parent them to the lead ship.

12 hours later...

*happy sigh*

(Turns out the solution was actually pretty straightforward.)

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Dirty posted:

I got fighter formations working in my game many months ago, but they were sloppy and had lots of issues, not least with the lead ship flying way ahead of the rest of the formation. I've tried a few ways to improve it, but every solution had an unwanted side effect. So I sat down on Saturday feeling absolutely determined to put it to bed once and for all.

12 hours later...

*happy sigh*

Whoa, love how each individual ship turns just that little bit differently to the rest of the formation, that's a very nice detail.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Whoa, love how each individual ship turns just that little bit differently to the rest of the formation, that's a very nice detail.

Thanks! That was exactly my aim - I really wanted it to look "natural", which is what took me so long to solve.

EDIT: More formation porn

Dirty fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 2, 2015

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Dirty posted:

Thanks! That was exactly my aim - I really wanted it to look "natural", which is what took me so long to solve.

Is there any kind of XP mechanic? It'd be cool if you could link how "tight" the formations fly with their experience.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Is there any kind of XP mechanic? It'd be cool if you could link how "tight" the formations fly with their experience.

That's an interesting idea - a quick glance tells you if a formation knows what they're doing or if they're fresh out of the academy! :D

There's no XP mechanic yet, but there will be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Mr Underhill posted:

CouLd someone link the other gamedev thread? My SA-fu is terrible these days, thanks.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3415662&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=481