Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It would be absolutely hilarious if Cielo were to defeat God by throwing the cat at its face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ultrafilter posted:

It would be absolutely hilarious if Cielo were to defeat God by throwing the cat at its face.
No, you're thinking of the first Ridou Kuzunoha game.

Einander posted:

IIRC, you're wrong about Cielo never coming up, so you should remove that in case the OP remembers to talk to the right person about it.
Really? I've played through both games a couple of times and I've honestly never seen it. I'll edit it for the time being.

a cartoon duck posted:

I was always under the impression that the Embryon were unique in that instead of just being a real person's data getting stuck in the junkyard like everybody else in there, they were combinations between real people and Sera's AI versions of them.
Let's just say 'it's complicated' and leave it at that for now.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
The EGG reveal is one of my most favorite parts of both games. When I connected it to the fairytale castle in DDS1, it was a super :aaaaa: moment.

Remind me why the series was never released as just one game again?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Dang. :stare: Can't say I saw any of that coming. Serph's true self being a huge dick was surprising.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
This is also why Varin back in the first game insisted on being called Col. Beck once things started spiraling out of control - he remembered way back then who he was originally, and was horrified to find himself trapped in the AI world. (Even if he's not the original Beck.) It's also how he knew Angel and everyone else.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Artix posted:

So OG Serph is a shitheel, and OG Heat wanted to put a stop to that bullshit but OG Argilla killed him (presumably under Serph's orders?). Meanwhile, Serph has been chilling in the god-egg for a while and with OG Heat, defeats his "true" self and is reincarnated back to the party. Also at some point this dislodges Heat from...whatever the gently caress he was doing in that thing, and then he runs away but the injury he got from the fight (or maybe getting split off from that thing?) kills him before Serph can catch up. And now we're going to go talk to God.

:psyduck:

Yes.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This was my overall favourite moment of the games. This was the plottest part. It's just as :psyboom: when playing, honestly.

I had so much trouble with the boss though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Do we know enough to make sense out of everything in the first game yet?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This may be a dumb question, but did original!Serph turn into an actual demon (Real Varna), or just a metaphorical one before he was killed?

Also, what was the story about the two princes again?

Was the place where we fought King Frost the same castle that was in the cutscene? :psyduck:

Talk about a rush of data. I do not comprehend.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
We still don't know what is up with the cat, or Gale's reason for being in the junkyard unlike the others. He wasn't in the original beach simulation after all.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EagerSleeper posted:

This may be a dumb question, but did original!Serph turn into an actual demon (Real Varna), or just a metaphorical one before he was killed?

I believe he turned into a real-deal Demon from the uncontrolled data surge.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Green Intern posted:

I believe he turned into a real-deal Demon from the uncontrolled data surge.

Yes, we heard mentioned there was another real world demon created as well as Megananda so that presumably would have been Serph. I do not know or think that the two are necessarily connected though.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Yeah several real deal Demons were created by that initial data surge. At the very minimum, Varna and Meganadha (go back to the first run through the EGG, one of the scientists mentions they had to kill Varna by name because he couldn't be contained).

And yes Cielo's source does come up, though you do have to track down a dude to get it.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Smiling Knight posted:

So, making sure I'm getting this straight: there was an experiment to communicate with god, run by Beck, Margot, Angel, Serph, Argilla, and Heat, which used a succession of Sera-likes. It was making progress, until the incident in the flashback we just saw. It is Sera's anguish that causes God to go bonkers and start petrifying everything, correct? What is the source of the demon virus; Angel's experiments or the God-data?

I don't think this is ever directly addressed, but I believe it was Angel dissecting Varna/Meganadha and engineering the virus from their data.

Perlia
May 14, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Really? I've played through both games a couple of times and I've honestly never seen it. I'll edit it for the time being.

As a hint for Cielo's source, recall that Sera is the 19th subject and it's implied they resorted to having Angel conceive a kid and aging that kid up because they were running out of subjects suitable to converse with god. The procedure also takes a hell of a toll on the subjects, as seen with Sera.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Original!Serph turned into an actual demon, because God was so pissed at him.

Haha, that's actually pretty drat cool. :stare:

You know who I'm surprised that I'm really starting to empathize with? Angel.

:v: It's the end of the month already, and our cyber shaman is nearing critical condition already? My how time flies! Oh, Angeeeel~, could you please provide another clone/child of yours capable of direct communication with God for us? We need to inflict more inhumane treatment and experiments, but it's already almost dead so that's a bummer.

Angel: :sigh:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

legoman727 posted:

...I. what. What even, what. :psyboom:

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Bring out the :wtc: boys and girls.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
For real though, this entire :wtc: was worth this gif:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I particularly liked Fred's reaction to that.

Priceless. :ughh:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest, I'm more surprised at Serph talking for real than him being a huge rear end in a top hat, even if.wasn't "our" Serph.

Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

Maybe I could show God some jammin' Latin rhythm, ja?

BrightWing posted:

For real though, this entire :wtc: was worth this gif:

...If anyone in the thread who has video editing skills would be willing to make an avatar-sized version of this, I would be super thankful. I NEED this in my life.

Edit: Preferably with Fred's :ughh: in there, but I guess that might be difficult to fit.

Windmaster Manwe fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 2, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mraagvpeine posted:

If all of you are confused/flabbergasted right now, you're not going to like the deal with the cat.

Actually, until the deal with the cat has been observed, it exists in a state of being both liked and disliked.

Waterguy
Aug 14, 2012
Everyone talking about the cat and I'm wondering if we get another ring from Naoki...

I really thought Real!Heat would take over Data!Heat and with both him and Serph back we would be back to five characters...

Waterguy fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 2, 2015

Zushio
May 8, 2008
This is a pretty intense series of events for any game, let alone a JRPG. I think that's what I love about SMT games. I've been playing 4 lately and I'm totally hooked. Also, since the limit of my knowledge was the end of DDS1 I'm throwing out a random guess that Gale is modeled after God. Because why the gently caress not at this point. Either that or Angel somehow? Who else did Sera even know?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Nobody mentioned it but this also explains why Varin/Beck said this back in the Junkyard:

Dragonatrix posted:

From this point of view, it was Sera who unleashed the apocalypse.

Also, here:

Dragonatrix posted:

He thinks they're the real Serph, Heat and Argilla instead of Sera's AI clones.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zushio posted:

This is a pretty intense series of events for any game, let alone a JRPG. I think that's what I love about SMT games. I've been playing 4 lately and I'm totally hooked. Also, since the limit of my knowledge was the end of DDS1 I'm throwing out a random guess that Gale is modeled after God. Because why the gently caress not at this point. Either that or Angel somehow? Who else did Sera even know?

I recall that Gale kept having visions of Jenna Angel during DDS1, so I'll assume that he's someone related to her, probably put into the simulation later? It's not as if Cielo was in the lab scenes either.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
How the hell did I not notice this since August? And I only just finished replaying the series last week!
Great job with the playthrough though! I'm personally discovering a lot of interesting or different strategies.I think DDS might have become my favorite SMT game(well, if it counts) after having re-explored it. I think the worst thing about it is that it sometimes gets a bit too easy(particularly the last bosses, sadly), but I've always been of the mind that if an RPG isn't hard enough, it's your job to make it hard for yourself(kinda silly I know).

So yeah, this moment, it's pretty much the defining plot dump/mindscrew. And it's great.

Green Intern posted:

I recall that Gale kept having visions of Jenna Angel during DDS1, so I'll assume that he's someone related to her, probably put into the simulation later? It's not as if Cielo was in the lab scenes either.
Cielo was at the beach simulation though, and that was purely Sera's thing. It'll make sense in time really, but yeah, ever since DDS1 Gale was pretty explicitly the outsider to the group(even the book summaries mentioned early on seem to have taken this into account).

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I hope the cat's deal is something totally ::psyduck:: because otherwise it seems like it's name should be Louis Schrodinger.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Green Intern posted:

I don't think anyone was explicitly put into the junkyard and that it was more a side effect of Sera's cyber shaman deal that dead people's data got stuck there. Originally they were just meant to be blank slate AIs to improve the Karma Society's troops after all.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Tylana posted:

I hope the cat's deal is something totally ::psyduck:: because otherwise it seems like it's name should be Louis Schrodinger.

It's crazier than you'll expect no matter what you expect, this is DDS.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Feinne posted:

It's crazier than you'll expect no matter what you expect, this is DDS.
I hope it's crazier than "I'm an Avatar of God", because it's starting to look that way to me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Well, everything makes sense now, at least internally.

loving hell, Original Serph, what did you think God would say to you when you turned yourself into a monster?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This also explains why Beck awakened upon seeing Serph at the start of DDS1.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

This also explains why Beck awakened upon seeing Serph at the start of DDS1.

Angel reacted pretty poorly to Serph in that scene as well.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Windmaster Manwe posted:

...If anyone in the thread who has video editing skills would be willing to make an avatar-sized version of this, I would be super thankful. I NEED this in my life.

Edit: Preferably with Fred's :ughh: in there, but I guess that might be difficult to fit.

It's pretty long for an av. The more frames, the more rear end-tastic the quality has to be, and the Gale part just Will Not Fit.

A Fred facepalm is quite doable, though.

Edit:

ultrafilter posted:

Edit edit:

Cielo DLC for P4 DAN make it happen Atlus you assholes.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 2, 2015

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Awesome.

Serph doesn't really work as a silent character, it's fine in most SMT games so you can self-insert into the character and pick any path you want but this one obviously has a fixed character arc, that scene inside the EGG shows him having an identity crisis that ultimately ends with him defeating the other Varunas to prove that he's not rear end in a top hat Serph nor a toy created by Sera, but an unique person with his own personality and experiences. Sure, you don't have to be a genius to get all this, but he should be able to express himself.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
YHVH has like a grand total of 3 expressions/faces and I don't think I'll ever tire of seeing them because they're all great.

Windmaster Manwe
Oct 30, 2012

Maybe I could show God some jammin' Latin rhythm, ja?

I grabbed the second one. Thanks a lot!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

This is amazing :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

HGH posted:

YHVH has like a grand total of 3 expressions/faces and I don't think I'll ever tire of seeing them because they're all great.

The one where he has an eyebrow raised and has the smuggest loving grin on his face is the greatest thing.

• Locked thread