Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

JT Jag posted:

It wouldn't be a technocracy if just one person was in charge. The practical method to create a technocracy as similar to the American system as possible would be to abolish the Presidency and Congress and make the various bureaucracies the authorities, with what is now cabinet members instead being representatives from the various bureaucracies.

as I recall, the American technocracy movement was largely absorbed by the American fascist movement, (because Taylor was an rear end in a top hat, and we've basically spent the last 35 years bringing him back to the fore) but before it went under had all sorts of weird ideas, like moving money to "the energy standard" instead of fiat or gold. As in, $1 got you 1 kwh worth of goods and services. I have no idea how that would even work, and since most histories of the movement are about its fall, I have never found a clear explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

The net neutrality stuff is nuts. People on both sides of the aisle were from my experience firmly in favor of net neutrality, but then Obama is in favor of it. Suddenly every Republican jerkbag is against it because the magic words "government regulation" have been uttered and is defending their lovely telecom companies that they were always poo poo talking in the past.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's not (just) that they're knee-jerk objecting to anything Obama does. The telecoms assumed Wheeler wouldn't make this change until Obama came out for it publicly and, as soon as he did, the lobbying floodgates opened.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is there any polling done on how NN is favored among different groups. Even better if I could see how it polled before and after these recent announcements.

Oh and today I just saw my first fox news commercial by a telecom lobbyist group about how we need to keep the internet free and out of government hands "say no to title 2". gently caress these people.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wrap it up, Schockailures.

quote:

PEORIA — Rep. Aaron Schock, R-Ill., used taxpayer money to pay for a private plane to travel from Peoria to Chicago for the Bears-Vikings game on Nov. 16, the Chicago Sun-Times has learned.

And a Sun-Times examination of House disbursement records and campaign finance reports suggests that Schock used taxpayer money to help underwrite a September trip to New York, where a political action committee he controls spent $3,000 for Global Citizen Festival concert tickets.

He was talking about running for a leadership post in the House just after the election. Sorry, Aaron, those are reserved for white nationalists, not petty grifters. :laugh:

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Guys get your heads out of your asses. The only way to true peace and prosperity is with a true democracy enabled by modern technology. With a decentralized voting system based on bitcoin's public ledger, all policy decisions can be immediately, accurately, and anonymously put to a vote. Elected officials are just organic matter waiting to rot away inside the machinery of government. Necessary maintenance and protection of the network will be administered by an impartial AI.

You're welcome.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/03/02/us/justice-department-report-to-fault-police-in-ferguson.html?_r=0&referrer=

The DoJ is about to drop the heavy end of the hammer on Ferguson. They only need to show proof of avoidable disparate impact in policing to win, which they have, but they also have the fact that racist "jokes" were being mailed around between city officials.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Instantaneous direct democracy is somehow the most terrifying system of government I can imagine.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mr. Pool posted:

Guys get your heads out of your asses. The only way to true peace and prosperity is with a true democracy enabled by modern technology. With a decentralized voting system based on bitcoin's public ledger, all policy decisions can be immediately, accurately, and anonymously put to a vote. Elected officials are just organic matter waiting to rot away inside the machinery of government. Necessary maintenance and protection of the network will be administered by an impartial AI.

You're welcome.

Elections would take a while if you could only confirm 7 votes a second.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

Elections would take a while if you could only confirm 7 votes a second.

On that note, "How Nuts Are Markets When the Most Reasonable Analysis of an Asset Class Pumped by the Great and Good in Tech Is a Parody Sub-Reddit Entitled 'Buttcoin'?" is a real paper published in a real peer reviewed economics journal

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

Instantaneous direct democracy is somehow the most terrifying system of government I can imagine.

Is there any way this wouldn't be terrible? Say you overturned Citizen's United and the related money = speech, corporations = people legislation and decisions right before you booted up Democracy.net

I guess corporations would just double down on media control?

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

On that note, "How Nuts Are Markets When the Most Reasonable Analysis of an Asset Class Pumped by the Great and Good in Tech Is a Parody Sub-Reddit Entitled 'Buttcoin'?" is a real paper published in a real peer reviewed economics journal

If the paper is detailing how new things are bad and we shouldn't pursue them, then no, I'm not surprised this is a real article in a peer reviewed economics journal

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr. Pool posted:

Is there any way this wouldn't be terrible? Say you overturned Citizen's United and the related money = speech, corporations = people legislation and decisions right before you booted up Democracy.net

It's impossible to overturn corporations being legal people.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

Is there any way this wouldn't be terrible?

Only by placing so many limitations on the process that it would be most irrelevant I'd think

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The alternative is that Bibi ordered the strike despite the Israeli military being against it and Obama narrowly averted a loving World War by standing up to a maniac. Either way, this is a win for Obama.

It's been a while since I boned up on the subject, but isn't the IAF quite limited in terms of its capabilities as far out as Iran, and wouldn't that necessitate nuclear strikes against the hardened Iranian nuclear facilities in order for an attack to really set them back a good decade? Or have we given Israel some of the latest generation Massive Ordinance Penetrators?

Watch Obama stop a nuclear war.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

Only by placing so many limitations on the process that it would be most irrelevant I'd think

idk man we might have a better foreign policy, groups seem to be pretty good at predicting world events

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/04/02/297839429/-so-you-think-youre-smarter-than-a-cia-agent

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Nancy Pelosi has one weird trick for funding the Department of Homeland Security. Speaker John Boehner (secretly) loves it!

quote:

Going to conference is debatable in the Senate, meaning the motion can be filibustered. Accordingly, the Senate is scheduled to hold what should be an ill-fated cloture vote Monday evening to limit debate on an agreement to go to conference with the House. If the Senate then returns the papers to the House, it could provide an opening for Democrats to test a seldom-invoked provision of the chamber’s rules.

Clause four of House Rule XXII (not to be confused with the more-often cited Senate Rule XXII) provides: “When the stage of disagreement has been reached on a bill or resolution with House or Senate amendments, a motion to dispose of any amendment shall be privileged.”

As the Congressional Research Service explains, “A chamber enters the stage of disagreement by formally agreeing to a motion or a unanimous consent request that it disagrees to the position of the other chamber, or that it insists on its own position.”

In other words, any House lawmaker, arguing that a conference scenario is moot and won’t be resolved before the clock runs out on the current extension of DHS funding, could take to the floor and move that the House recedes from its previous position and concurs in the Senate amendment.

Because such a motion is “privileged” that would then trigger a vote on sending the Senate-amended full year Homeland Security appropriations bill to Obama’s desk without any of those riders designed to block his executive actions on immigration.

And, yes, it's :black101: as gently caress that this week the House of Representatives will enter The Stage of Disagreement!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mr. Pool posted:

idk man we might have a better foreign policy, groups seem to be pretty good at predicting world events

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014/04/02/297839429/-so-you-think-youre-smarter-than-a-cia-agent

People in groups are also known for collectively losing their goddam minds on occasion and if other countries were running on the same system we'd quickly enter a feedback loop that would destroy most of humanity. Could you imagine instant direct democracy in charge of foreign policy immediately after 9/11?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Wrap it up, Schockailures.

He was talking about running for a leadership post in the House just after the election. Sorry, Aaron, those are reserved for white nationalists, not petty grifters. :laugh:
This story is great because it has made the saying 'will it play in Peoria' relevant again

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Economics are the most worthless of the "Sciences"

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zeno-25 posted:

It's been a while since I boned up on the subject, but isn't the IAF quite limited in terms of its capabilities as far out as Iran, and wouldn't that necessitate nuclear strikes against the hardened Iranian nuclear facilities in order for an attack to really set them back a good decade? Or have we given Israel some of the latest generation Massive Ordinance Penetrators?

Watch Obama stop a nuclear war.

Been a while since I looked, but my understanding was that without US provided in-air refueling capabilities, any Israeli jet sent to strike at Iran's facilities will be on a one-way trip. They can't make the circuitous route of not violating the air space of other countries (and trigger a war with them) and fly far enough into Iran to reach their targets and then have enough fuel to make the same round-about way home.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

People in groups are also known for collectively losing their goddam minds on occasion and if other countries were running on the same system we'd quickly enter a feedback loop that would destroy most of humanity. Could you imagine instant direct democracy in charge of foreign policy immediately after 9/11?

Support for Afghanistan topped out at ~50% in 2008, I don't think Iraq even got to majority approval. This is even with Gallup polls showing that a huge amount of people believed that Iraq was somehow involved with 9/11.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/30/cnn-poll-afghanistan-war-most-unpopular-in-u-s-history/

I think the American populace is less hawkish than most imagine. Unfortunately this doesn't matter much.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mr. Pool posted:

Imagine if you could pick up your smartphone and vote on a proposal that impacted millions. Then imagine your racist uncle being able to do the same thing.

For a more concrete example, take interracial marriage approval over history. When Loving v Virginia eliminated laws against it, over 70% of Americans disapproved of interracial marriage. It wasn't until 1991 when more people approved than disapproved...and less than 50% approved. And imagine what would've happened after 9/11. It's not like we already had enough crazy poo poo, I'm pretty sure you could've gotten the American public on board with nuclear bombing Afghanistan.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

They can't make the circuitous route of not violating the air space of other countries (and trigger a war with them)

Also, too, such a route doesn't exist.

Anyway, the National Security Council is denying the plane story now. Depressing that they're even taking it seriously.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Imagine if you could pick up your smartphone and vote on a proposal that impacted millions. Then imagine your racist uncle being able to do the same thing.

For a more concrete example, take interracial marriage approval over history. When Loving v Virginia eliminated laws against it, over 70% of Americans disapproved of interracial marriage. It wasn't until 1991 when more people approved than disapproved...and less than 50% approved. And imagine what would've happened after 9/11. It's not like we already had enough crazy poo poo, I'm pretty sure you could've gotten the American public on board with nuclear bombing Afghanistan.

In your example the voting populace would be tremendously shifted away from old racist shitlords if you had to use a computer to vote. Imagine literally every young person voting, and voter participation dropping rapidly as you go up in age demographic. I'm asking you to imagine bizzarro America

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Also, too, such a route doesn't exist.

No one will enforce Free Syria air control, and Iraq would stand down.

Jordan is the hang up as I recall. The Jordanians won't let them fly through.

But like you said the point is academic

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr. Pool posted:

Support for Afghanistan topped out at ~50% in 2008, I don't think Iraq even got to majority approval. This is even with Gallup polls showing that a huge amount of people believed that Iraq was somehow involved with 9/11.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/12/30/cnn-poll-afghanistan-war-most-unpopular-in-u-s-history/

I think the American populace is less hawkish than most imagine. Unfortunately this doesn't matter much.

That doesn't say it topped out at 50%, that says that in 2008 there was 50% support.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Or just look at Switzerland, since it has direct democracy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fried Chicken posted:

Iraq would stand down.

Wouldn't be so sure about that one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

Or just look at Switzerland, since it has direct democracy.

And coincidentally they've only had Women's Suffrage for about 45 years.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

computer parts posted:

That doesn't say it topped out at 50%, that says that in 2008 there was 50% support.

That makes more sense.

Looks like we just recently hit the "this was a bad idea" intersection point

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116233/afghanistan.aspx

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Fried Chicken posted:

Been a while since I looked, but my understanding was that without US provided in-air refueling capabilities, any Israeli jet sent to strike at Iran's facilities will be on a one-way trip. They can't make the circuitous route of not violating the air space of other countries (and trigger a war with them) and fly far enough into Iran to reach their targets and then have enough fuel to make the same round-about way home.

1600km one-way direct flight from Tel Aviv to Nantaz, going almost directly over Baghdad, violating the airspace of Jordan, Syria and Iraq in the process. They can't even get there direct without tanking (1200km combat range on an F15E).

I never quite got the hardon people have behind an Israeli strike into Iran to begin with. Noone is sneaking a handful of F-15Es with tanker support across 1,000 miles of the most heavily monitored airspace in the world to drop a handful of bombs in the mountains. It's like my 7-yo thinking he's going to sneak past his mother and I in the living room at 10:30 at night to get the iPad of the charger and play Minecraft after bedtime. He's going to end up with a disapproving look, getting grounded from the iPad, and an "oh those silly kids" conversation between the parents after he goes back to bed.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 2, 2015

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Wouldn't be so sure about that one.

If Israel is going at it alone with some sort of suicide strike on the facilities? Yeah. But the scenario of a successful strike involves American support for this to provide the in air refueling capability and (in the second stage) to have the Iraqis stand down. At least, those were the assumptions in 2012.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

My understanding is that Irans nuclear targets are so hardened at this point that any sort of attack from the air would be almost completely ineffective anyway

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I can sleep easy tonight knowing that the story of Obama preventing World War 3 was just made up to make him look bad.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommanderApaul posted:

1600km one-way direct flight, going almost directly over Baghdad, violating the airspace of Jordan, Syria and Iraq in the process. They can't even get there direct without tanking.

F-16 has a range of 3200+ km dude.

Good Citizen posted:

My understanding is that Irans nuclear targets are so hardened at this point that any sort of attack from the air would be almost completely ineffective anyway

I'd expect so. There were a series of "unfortunate industrial accidents" at one of the sites a few years ago weren't there? What's left or has been rebuilt has to have been hardened against what they could project as a reasonable expectation of force deployed against them.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Grapplejack posted:

Economics are the most worthless of the "Sciences"

If economics gets to be a science then archaeology is a super-science.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Fried Chicken posted:

That's ferry range, unloaded, with drop tanks. F-16 combat range is considerably shorter, about 600km with bombs and drop tanks.

Israel isn't touching Iranian airspace without refueling on the way in once, and maybe twice, depending on the route and the payload.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 2, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fried Chicken posted:

Honest question without snark: does that take weight of ordinance into account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'd love a technocracy if we get Italian futurist cooking.

quote:

Another entry in the cookbook describes a Tactile Dinner. Pajamas have been prepared for the dinner, each one covered with a different material such as sponge, cork, sandpaper, or felt. As the guests arrive, each puts on a pair of the pajamas. Once all have arrived and are dressed in pajamas, they are taken to an unlit, empty room. Without being able to see, each guest chooses a dinner partner according to their tactile impression. The guests then enter the dining room, which consists of tables for two, and discover the partner they have selected.

The meal begins. The first course is a 'polyrhythmic salad,' which consists of a box containing a bowl of undressed lettuce leaves, dates and grapes. The box has a crank on the left side. Without using cutlery, the guests eat with their right hand while turning the crank with their left. This produces music to which the waiters dance until the course is finished.

The second course is 'magic food', which is served in small bowls covered with tactile materials. The bowl is held in the left hand while the right picks out balls made of caramel and filled with different ingredients such as dried fruits, raw meat, garlic, mashed banana, chocolate, or pepper. The guests cannot guess what flavor they will encounter next.

The third course is 'tactile vegetable garden,' which is a plate of cooked and raw green vegetables without dressing. The guest eats the vegetables without the use of their hands, instead burying their face in the plate of vegetables, feeling the sensation of the greens on their face and lips. Each time a guest raises their head to chew, the waiters spray their face with perfume.

• Locked thread