Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I almost ran out on Ghost Ship, other than that and Galactic Core bugging out on me I haven't had much of a problem resources why.

Even lost my stolen Missile Destroyer and a Kushan one against one of the Cruisers.

Also, I captured the first Taidan carrier, and it couldn't build :O

I retired it and replaced it with the better carrier.

quote:

But it's almost like hooking up with your high school sweetheart at the 20 year reunion. She looks even better than you remember, wow she's driving a really nice car now, but I certainly don't remember her knowing THOSE tricks before, I thought her sister was the one with the piercings, and what is she doing with those handcuffs wait this is not the girl I used to date...

See, you listed a bunch of downsides in the post.

Then listed a bunch of upsides in your metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macdjord
Oct 26, 2013

berryjon posted:

It also looks like that resources in HW1:R are down, as Gearbox expects people to go full Salvage, rather than, you know, play the game.
Er, what? I'm drowning in RU. The reports I saw on the Gearbox forums say the same.

Polaron posted:

The upside to all of this is that the game is apparently incredibly mod-friendly, so we should have everything back to normal before too long.
Regrettably, some of these things are things that can't be reasonably modded in. Non-latchpoint based healing and resourcing, true formations, ballistics: these are not functions which exist within the HW2 engine - which is why I'm so annoyed at the lack; the developers have access to the source code and the engine; they could fix this; we can't. (Actually, I'm willing to give them ballistics. That would have required not just adding features to the engine but rewriting major parts of it entirely. I just wished they'd done more to add situational modifiers in order to better emulate the original behaviour.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am just glad that it hoovers up all the minerals at the end of the level. Because on multiple occasions my harvesters have had naps while there are still RU discovered to be gathered.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

berryjon posted:

It also looks like that resources in HW1:R are down, as Gearbox expects people to go full Salvage, rather than, you know, play the game.

With all due respect to your playstale and LP (I'm really loving it), going full Salvage IS the correct way to play this game :colbert:.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oooh I remember the best line in the game now. But the best line in the whole series comes from the final mission of Homeworld 2, no doubt about it. Bring SPOILER to bear!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

rabiddeity posted:

The music is still just as great as I remember, and no longer in potato quality.

I guess it's technically true that "The Ladder" isn't in potato quality, but that's only because it's not in the loving game

GEARBOX YOU CHEAP FUCKS!!!! :argh:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The other thing with the Taiidan Empire that might sort of justify their actions...maybe they figure the galaxy is hosed anyway. At least maybe there's a chance mama-Beast will let them have half of it to play with for awhile and rein in her kids while she eats the other half.

Also you guys are making me not want to buy the remastered version at all.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The Sharmat posted:

The other thing with the Taiidan Empire that might sort of justify their actions...maybe they figure the galaxy is hosed anyway. At least maybe there's a chance mama-Beast will let them have half of it to play with for awhile and rein in her kids while she eats the other half.

Also you guys are making me not want to buy the remastered version at all.

I don't really like Taiidan Empire as villains, they are a bit too cartoony. If Kuun-Lan stumbles on a space puppy farm, you bet your rear end the Empire is coming to burn it to the ground. They lack depth and are one dimensional.

And sadly have to agree to the second part, will wait and see how the patching goes.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I bought Remastered basically because of this thread, and it's my first experience playing Homeworld - I like it. I notice a lot of the things everyone's complaining about, like fighters being absolutely worthless, resource collectors falling asleep at the wheel, the AI's broken, goddamn evasive tactics no longer being a thing... but it's also really pretty and for some stupid reason that's enough to make me absolutely enchanted with it. :swoon:

macdjord
Oct 26, 2013
If nothing else, Remastered also comes with a copy of the original, updated to run at modern resolutions and on modern OSes, but otherwise untouched. (Well, they also stripped the multiplayer options, but those depended on servers that don't exist anymore anyway.)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Disco Infiva posted:

I don't really like Taiidan Empire as villains, they are a bit too cartoony. If Kuun-Lan stumbles on a space puppy farm, you bet your rear end the Empire is coming to burn it to the ground. They lack depth and are one dimensional.

And sadly have to agree to the second part, will wait and see how the patching goes.

Maybe the only dudes left still willing to fly the Imperial banner are the absolute psychos.

But yeah, I think the loving Beast actually gets significantly more characterization than the Taiidan Emperor ever got in the game.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The Sharmat posted:

Maybe the only dudes left still willing to fly the Imperial banner are the absolute psychos

I'm pretty sure that's exactly it, since everyone else has likely joined the Taiidani Republic.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You know the worst part of this LP has been/is?

I had to do so little subtitling for the next mission, it's already done. Now I have to sit on it until Thursday/Friday!

Also, looking for people to commentate over the Beast Skirmish video, either next weekend or the weekend after. Sound off!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

berryjon posted:

I had to do so little subtitling for the next mission, it's already done. Now I have to sit on it until Thursday/Friday!

You are a monster.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

berryjon posted:

Also, looking for people to commentate over the Beast Skirmish video, either next weekend or the weekend after. Sound off!

I tweaked my setup and I think my popping issue has been resolved. I'll test it out this week and PM you if it sounds okay.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Also, I captured the first Taidan carrier, and it couldn't build :O

Same problem here. Also, while it was dragged back to the Mothership, it apparrently was still building assault frigates and strike craft and just couldn't launch them. So once it was captured and came back out of the MS, it started vomiting out everything - with the ships in question still being hostile. My little fleet of frigates and corvettes ended up spending close to five minutes spawncamping the carriers hangar exit to clean up that mess. :v:

Magni fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 3, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Magni posted:

Same problem here. Also, while it was dragged back to the Mothership, it apparrently was still building assault frigates and strike craft and just couldn't launch them. So once it was captured and came back out of the MS, it started vomiting out everything - with the ships in question still being hostile. My little fleet of frigates and corvettes ended up spending close to five minutes spawncamping the carrierss hangar exit to clean up that mess. :v:

I know it's a bug, but that's hilarious.

"The ship was completely empty sir."
"That's odd, did you check the ships in the hangar?"
"The what now sir?"

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

berryjon posted:

I should be open this week; probably the next too, but who knows what life will bring.

Also, definitely mixed feelings about the Remastered version...you *really* need to be careful about ending each mission with too many units, because the chaos that comes from too many ships practically turns the game into Flotilla: run the battle for 15 seconds, pause to issue orders, rinse and repeat.

That said, not being able to break the game by capturing everything that isn't nailed down isn't really a downside; you're *supposed* to be the underdog, not the death-ball, and I can at least totally see why the Taidaan would bring an insane amount of military hardware to match someone with an insane amount of their own (hardware that used to BE Imperial, to top it all off!)

Still, it would be nice to have a "suggested unit cap" for each mission, so one doesn't have to reload the last mission's end quite so often just to avoid the enemy death-ball.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Magni posted:

Same problem here. Also, while it was dragged back to the Mothership, it apparrently was still building assault frigates and strike craft and just couldn't launch them. So once it was captured and came back out of the MS, it started vomiting out everything - with the ships in question still being hostile. My little fleet of frigates and corvettes ended up spending close to five minutes spawncamping the carrierss hangar exit to clean up that mess. :v:

Camera feed from one of the boarding marines as they breached the hangar on the ITS Oprah:

He later succumbed to his many...many wounds.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 2, 2015

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Rick_Hunter posted:

Camera feed from one of the boarding marines as they breached the hangar on the ITS Oprah:

He later succumbed to his many...many wounds.

You sure that isn't video of a Beast Cruise Missile hitting a ship?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

AltaBrown posted:

You sure that isn't video of a Beast Cruise Missile hitting a ship?

I dunno man. I'm thinking the Taiidan and their color scheme is a whole lot like a bunch of angry bees.

The beast though? I think that's like putting a bunch of hungry badgers in a missile casing, shooting it into a ship, and the badgers are convinced that you are in their burrow.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Magni posted:

I may also have had this happen. Though only scouts on my end. They captured the carrier, re-opened the flight deck and...

BEEEES
(scouts)

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Polaron posted:

The upside to all of this is that the game is apparently incredibly mod-friendly, so we should have everything back to normal before too long.

On that note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA4NcxyadJ4

I don't know how close to original that is but it looks awful pretty.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, there's already a couple people in the games thread restoring the HW1 style flight paths and all that good poo poo, including the MBF roll maneuver, so if anyone was on the fence about the remaster, there you go. Rebalanced, prettied-up HW2 is awesome and while the HW1 port was a little disappointing, it looks like that will be rectified before too long.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

AirborneNinja posted:

On that note:

Wait, did they add subsystems and subsystem targeting to HW1R?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yes.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Yeah, there's already a couple people in the games thread restoring the HW1 style flight paths and all that good poo poo, including the MBF roll maneuver, so if anyone was on the fence about the remaster, there you go. Rebalanced, prettied-up HW2 is awesome and while the HW1 port was a little disappointing, it looks like that will be rectified before too long.

OH GOD. I knew there was another bug that I meant to mention.

MBFs don't roll. And fling their beams into nearby vessels when their target dies.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Veloxyll posted:

Yes.

OH GOD. I knew there was another bug that I meant to mention.

MBFs don't roll. And fling their beams into nearby vessels when their target dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaUVcoJne5U

Well, they do now.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 3, 2015

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

AirborneNinja posted:

On that note:

Even the turrets on larger ships turn and track their targets. I know it's a little detail, but it's a nice one you'd likely not notice most of the time when zoomed out on your attack fleet. Think I will be grabbing this one soon.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

A few more revisions and they'll be flipping out like normal.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Magni posted:

Same problem here. Also, while it was dragged back to the Mothership, it apparently was still building assault frigates and strike craft and just couldn't launch them. So once it was captured and came back out of the MS, it started vomiting out everything - with the ships in question still being hostile. My little fleet of frigates and corvettes ended up spending close to five minutes spawncamping the carriers hangar exit to clean up that mess. :v:

I just had a few waves...laughably short, courtesy of the probably-overpowered multigun frigates, but waves none the less. Had them lined up in a nice little parade formation (in a line parallel toward the Mothership docking door), and then spent the next few minutes laughing at the poor sons-of-bitches.

Also, I'll be having no disrespect toward that carrier: without it, keeping anything bigger than a heavy corvette alive is drat near IMPOSSIBLE (until you get your own carriers deployed, of course). With that carrier though, you can actually get the support frigates back to healing the other big ships (where they belong) while having an easy place to repair all your damaged small ships. Plus, I'm pretty sure unit scaling doesn't factor in for it (until you do the right research, at least), so hey, go nuts.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

berryjon posted:

I'll do it if you're still looking for people.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Yeah, it likely won't be me because I just recorded something and the popping crept up again. If I get it sorted, I'll let you know. Last time was a blast and I'd love to do it again.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here it is, the mission for which I named this LP. Years later, and I can still recite it by heart.

And a Temporary, Non-Polsy Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP5jCo_hsgc

berryjon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 5, 2015

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

berryjon posted:

Here it is, the mission for which I named this LP. Years later, and I can still recite it by heart.

Polsy doesn't seem to be working, and copy-pasting the Youtu.be link in the Polsy link gives me 'this video is unavailable'.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

Polsy doesn't seem to be working, and copy-pasting the Youtu.be link in the Polsy link gives me 'this video is unavailable'.

Just came to say this, polsy itself seems to be down but is the video still processing or something?

we were so close too

e: Disregard that, we were copying a 2F by accident, direct youtube link here

e2: Man, that is still so, so good.

Illuyankas fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 5, 2015

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

e2: Man, that is still so, so good.
It really is.
The voice acting and the dialogue is fantastic.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Let's talk the Super Acolyte now.

The Super Acolyte is the best fighter in the game. Why is it the best fighter in the game? It has a speed of 900 m/s, higher than the Interceptor and second only to the Scout and Recon. It accelerates to that speed in less than 1 second, giving it nearly unparalleled maneuverability. It has 1,000 armor, giving it the toughness of a corvette. berryjon's already gone over its weapons being two ion beam weapons, each more powerful than the ones typically seen on capital ships.

The speed of a scout, the firepower of a destroyer, and the armor of a corvette in a package that comes by the dozen. The only fighter that comes close to even approaching the performance of the Super Acolyte is the Kadeshi Swarmer and Advanced Swarmer, which are faster, but half as tough, run out of fuel in about 30 seconds, and have significantly less firepower.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
They give a pretty good explanation as to /why/ the Bentusi completely and utterly freaked at the Beast.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MJ12 posted:

The Super Acolyte is the best fighter.

Fixed it for you.

And remember, the Bentusi likes to spawn them in flights of 6-8 at a time. Watching them tank the Multi-beam Frigate while ripping it a new one is gut-wrenching at times. "Why won't you die!?!?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
This mission gets nastier the more your fleet is focused on smaller frigates/fighters. Once you destroy the gate it's basically a cinematic featuring the Bentusi carving you up like a christmas ham until they destroy a supercapital ship, and if you're mostly multibeam frigates like I was on my first playthrough? Have fun losing 2/3rds of your fleet.

The final mission will kill more ships, guaranteed. It's much worse.

E: That being said, I've always been kinda curious as to what happens if you come into this mission with no supercapital ships.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 5, 2015

• Locked thread