Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
They knew what would get sweaty nerds to use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jre posted:

:smith: :respek: :smith:

My first linux also. I enjoyed the amazing polished desktop experience where you needed a sudo command to eject the cd

i remember being astonished by solaris being able to do this kind of thing automatically

coming from freebsd it was like magic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

They knew what would get sweaty nerds to use them.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

jre posted:

My first linux also. I enjoyed the amazing polished desktop experience where you needed a sudo command to eject the cd

Not knowing this, I think I used a paper clip to open the drive.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Captain Foo posted:

butt get the job
I got the job :toot:

I'm part of the problem now

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Symbolic Butt posted:

Goondolences. Being paid to program ruined it for me forever.hope you have hobbies besides compooter.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Symbolic Butt posted:

yaaaaay

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SYSV Fanfic posted:

hope you have hobbies besides compooter.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Symbolic Butt posted:

is it red hat? because red hat owns and you will have a good time at red hat

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

is it red hat? because red hat owns and you will have a good time at red hat

nah I'm not yospos smart like that, it's a way smaller company (mandriva)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Symbolic Butt posted:

my first linux!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
my first linux was a redhat 5.2 cd I found in an actual dumpster while being 17

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

either mandriva or knoppix i can't remember

now i am here. what a journey it has been.

this 1s for u linux thread. play ur file permissions as music:

code:
sudo (apt-get/yum/whatever) install sox;
n=(C D E F G A B "C4 ");stat -c%a *|while read -n1 k;do x=${n[$k]};sleep .2;play -qn synth pl ${x}3 fade 0 1 & done

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 2, 2015

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i just installed gentoo in a new VM and configured it to use systemd to see what the fuss and blog posts and wailing and gnashing of teeth is about

works pretty well for the most part, minus my current unfamiliarity with how to manage a systemd machine and ~15 years of inertia with using gentoo's previous init system (OpenRC isnt that old but it mimics the interface/configuration style of stuff that existed in 2000 or so)

only thing i didnt manage to figure out was auto-mounting NFS filesystems in a working way, and that would have probably taken a few more minutes that i didnt have before leaving home this morning

some things were a bit weird like one of the NFS client things failing to start because one of its prerequisites wasn't enabled, but idk whether that's my fault for not knowing the terminology, i.e. does "disabled" mean "doesn't start at boot automatically" or "prevented from starting even if a prerequisite of something else", or whether its gentoo's fault for not having all of the service definitions systemd-ized yet

even still i would think that id get a message like "can't start rpc-statd or whatever since prereq rpc-something-else is disabled", instead of "can't start rpc-statd or whatever, good luck figuring out why"

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Symbolic Butt posted:

What do they do there?

Also, what OS does Apple use in their data centres?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

Also, what OS does Apple use in their data centres?

i've been told they were a solaris shop once upon a time

i imagine they've migrated to linux in this day and age

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Apple uses a combination of Solaris, Linux and FreeBSD depending on the service. In super old services, they use OS X Server.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Has canonical given up on mir yet? I'm starting to think that the only DE that is going to run on it will be unity.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Smythe posted:

my first linux!

mandrake was the first linux that I was able to successfully install on my lovely computer. I remember it had the nicest installation scheme at the time

Athas posted:

What do they do there?

dude I can't give you a fair answer yet because I got the job literally today and it'll take me about 2 weeks to really start working there

so yeah, see you in 2 months when I'll be able to answer you better than "they provide linux services for people who needs linuxing"

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I got mandrake off of the first issue of maximum linux. I installed it, and then it wouldn't work with my 36.6 modem so I just installed windows 98 again. The linux experience hasn't changed much since then.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

ZShakespeare posted:

I got mandrake off of the first issue of maximum linux. I installed it, and then it wouldn't work with my 36.6 modem so I just installed windows 98 again. The linux experience hasn't changed much since then.

this is maximum linux

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
mods please rename me "maximum linux"

tia

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Symbolic Butt posted:

mandrake was the first linux that I was able to successfully install on my lovely computer. I remember it had the nicest installation scheme at the time

I thought it was literally just redhat with all references to red hat stripped out.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not even very well. They still shipped our logos on the CDs because they didn't know what they were doing.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Suspicious Dish posted:

Not even very well. They still shipped our logos on the CDs because they didn't know what they were doing.

I guess oracle was the first to truly perfect the art of ripping off red hat.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Suspicious Dish posted:

I could swear this was conectiva (which eventually fused with mandrake and became dum dum duuum... mandriva)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
mandriva worked pretty good on a old as fk dell laptop and i used ndiswrapper to make one of those laptop "pc card" or whatever wifi thingers work. FTW

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
mandrake, the predecessor to mandriva, was definitely not a straight-up redhat clone. it had way more packages and way lower package quality

and the english-language documentation was completely useless. i'm not sure anyone on the project actually spoke english

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mandrake, the predecessor to mandriva, was definitely not a straight-up redhat clone. it had way more packages and way lower package quality

and the english-language documentation was completely useless. i'm not sure anyone on the project actually spoke english

OK, so if I take a ford, remove ford from it and call it a bluntly, and add a jack in the box antenna bobber it, people shouldn't say its just a ford?

I need to set up old versions of Linux in VMs.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

OK, so if I take a ford, remove ford from it and call it a bluntly, and add a jack in the box antenna bobber it, people shouldn't say its just a ford?

I need to set up old versions of Linux in VMs.

if my recollections are at all correct, it's more like you saw a ford truck, made something with three wheels and a propeller, and called it a "fartly"

but it's all driven by a ford v8, so there must be some ford quality in there somewhere, right?

mandrake was a real rough ride.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

arch 0.5/0.6ish was peak linux. that time owned and it wasn't a pita to install

pram
Jun 10, 2001

triple sulk posted:

arch 0.5/0.6ish was peak linux. that time owned and it wasn't a pita to install

nope

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if my recollections are at all correct, it's more like you saw a ford truck, made something with three wheels and a propeller, and called it a "fartly"

but it's all driven by a ford v8, so there must be some ford quality in there somewhere, right?

mandrake was a real rough ride.

Ur senile. 6.0 was 99% red hat with a different set of packages set to default. Or are the spins not.fedora?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also mandrake was considered one of the easiest distros to use. I had problems because desktop Linux was a Unix enthusiast thing and I have no idea why Walmart was selling Linux CDs at all.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this is peak linux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7dTjpvakmA

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm Actually GNOME 3 is Peak Lnux because it OWNS

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

yea, ok. whatever.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Ur senile. 6.0 was 99% red hat with a different set of packages set to default. Or are the spins not.fedora?

i think this is more a ubuntu/debian situation

a molested redhat respin

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Also mandrake was considered one of the easiest distros to use. I had problems because desktop Linux was a Unix enthusiast thing and I have no idea why Walmart was selling Linux CDs at all.

i can't explain this at all either

it was a heady time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

unironically one of the best commercials ever made