Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Rakins posted:

I might have missed it but what would be a good pair of binoculars in the 200-300 range to get started?

Nikon Monarch 5 or 7 in 8x42. REI has them to try and with the yearly member coupon price is almost as good as online usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Aquila posted:

Nikon Monarch 5 or 7 in 8x42. REI has them to try and with the yearly member coupon price is almost as good as online usually.

Yea, that's one nice thing about the Monarch's, you can actually find them in a lot of stores to try in person. Cabelas/Bass Pro Shops often have them as well.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

ExecuDork posted:

When I first got a feeder - a little over a year ago - I had zero birds for a month. Then the local sparrows, chickadees, and nuthatches discovered it and they were regular, abundant visitors until I moved. At the new place, the feeder sat unvisited for about a week, now we have a flock of sparrows that hits it several times a day. There are a few chickadees and nuthatches around, but the sparrows dominate at the moment.

Your local birds will take some time to notice your feeder. Before they see it, they'll have to wander in close enough to recognize it as food. Having cover - bushes and trees - nearby is a good start, most little songbirds like to have something to hide in nearby. There isn't anything like that very close to my feeder, which I think is part of the reason why it took so long for the birds to find it the first time. The season also probably matters - I think birds in winter are less willing to explore for new food sources, they'll stick with the reliable sites they already know, but in summer they move around more. This might be pure conjecture on my part, and the fact that I live in a part of the world where overnight frost kills of songbirds is a major source of mortality for the little guys might make that true here but not true in "urban Europe". Where are you?

I am technically in Russia. By that I mean the European-most part of Russia (discounting territorial disputes), on the border with Finland.

So, I guess I shouldn't panic, but I still don't know if I shouldn't hustle and update my setup which so far is kind of temporary and experimental... It may sound stupid, but would it be better if I somehow managed to fix a stick out of my window, attaching it to the bars, and then hung stuff on it, like a branch? I'm not sure though, if that's not going to make my place unnecessarily conspicuous to people.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Does any one have recommendations for good birding spots in San Jose, CA? We're visiting my in-laws in a couple of weeks. They live on the south side of the city, near the intersection of 87 & 85. I can get some good yard birds at my mother-in-law's feeders. Other than that, in the past I've ridden a bike along Guadalupe Creek to Almaden Lake Park, and along the bike trails on Alamitos Creek.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

supermikhail posted:

I am technically in Russia. By that I mean the European-most part of Russia (discounting territorial disputes), on the border with Finland.

So, I guess I shouldn't panic, but I still don't know if I shouldn't hustle and update my setup which so far is kind of temporary and experimental... It may sound stupid, but would it be better if I somehow managed to fix a stick out of my window, attaching it to the bars, and then hung stuff on it, like a branch? I'm not sure though, if that's not going to make my place unnecessarily conspicuous to people.

I don't know if it will attract the birds any sooner, but they definitely perch on the metal rod my feeder is hanging from. I think giving them a stick - and putting the food a bit away from the wall / window - might make them happier and I doubt it's going to change how a random person walking by views things. I mean, it's going to be pretty obvious that you've got a bird feeder out, and people will react to that or not react to that in ways way beyond your control. I guess if your neighbours are utter asstards they might do something but it seems unlikely.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

EPICAC posted:

Does any one have recommendations for good birding spots in San Jose, CA? We're visiting my in-laws in a couple of weeks. They live on the south side of the city, near the intersection of 87 & 85. I can get some good yard birds at my mother-in-law's feeders. Other than that, in the past I've ridden a bike along Guadalupe Creek to Almaden Lake Park, and along the bike trails on Alamitos Creek.

The Palo Alto Baylands should be excellent this time of year. I've been out there a few times, and it's alway full of bird life. Coyote Hills Regional Park over by Fremont looks like a pretty phenomenal hotspot too, but I haven't explored it myself. I'll be checking it out when I visit the Bay Area next month, but I guess that won't be in time to give you a trip report.

We're getting occasional visits from the first Northern Saw-whet Owl to be documented at Arcata marsh since 2008. The Anna's Hummingbirds kept waking it up when I staked out its roost for an afternoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41sOfGPXzQ4

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Just saw a very small hawk on a tree in my front yard in Southern Illinois. I would venture to guess it was no bigger than a bluejay. Guessing it must have been a Kestrel, but the GIS images for kestrels seem to have them being a lot redder and more contrasty than what I saw, this guy was brown and white. Seasonal coloration? sex? not a kestrel?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Just saw a very small hawk on a tree in my front yard in Southern Illinois. I would venture to guess it was no bigger than a bluejay. Guessing it must have been a Kestrel, but the GIS images for kestrels seem to have them being a lot redder and more contrasty than what I saw, this guy was brown and white. Seasonal coloration? sex? not a kestrel?

Probably a sharp-shinned hawk or a merlin.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 3, 2015

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

The Palo Alto Baylands should be excellent this time of year. I've been out there a few times, and it's alway full of bird life. Coyote Hills Regional Park over by Fremont looks like a pretty phenomenal hotspot too, but I haven't explored it myself. I'll be checking it out when I visit the Bay Area next month, but I guess that won't be in time to give you a trip report.

We're getting occasional visits from the first Northern Saw-whet Owl to be documented at Arcata marsh since 2008. The Anna's Hummingbirds kept waking it up when I staked out its roost for an afternoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41sOfGPXzQ4

how do people even find these guys? I've been to a bunch of places where they supposedly are resident and roosting, and have never seen one. Is it a matter of meticulously digging through every pine tree in the whole area and hoping to get lucky? Is there some species of owl whisperer birder that just knows where to look, and once found their location spreads through word of mouth? If it weren't for photographic evidence, I'd be suspicious there even is such a thing as a saw-whet owl.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slo-Tek posted:

Seconding merlin. They're the same size and shape as a kestrel, but without the red-white-and-blue of an American Kestrel. I saw a kestrel here in Saskatchewan a few weeks ago, it was still quite clearly red. Merlins can appear flat grey under the right light, though the brown / white combo is usually pretty clear (in my experience). You'll see a lot of pictures of them looking rather grey/blue on top, but brown is pretty common.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Linedance posted:

how do people even find these guys? I've been to a bunch of places where they supposedly are resident and roosting, and have never seen one. Is it a matter of meticulously digging through every pine tree in the whole area and hoping to get lucky? Is there some species of owl whisperer birder that just knows where to look, and once found their location spreads through word of mouth? If it weren't for photographic evidence, I'd be suspicious there even is such a thing as a saw-whet owl.

I've heard people have success looking for "whitewash" (owl poop) below roosts. I believe Saw-Whet's often roost in the same tree frequently so it accumulates over time. It really helps to have limited locations to look, so open spaces with a few dense trees are ideal. The place I go to find Saw-Whet's is a forest in every direction so it'd be laughable to even try. :(

EPICAC posted:

I've birded that area several times. I've always just gone off eBird reports for birds I want to see. My favorite spots are along the south edge of the bay , but I've always been there during fall shorebird migration and things look pretty sparse this early for shorebirds. I'd probably just use Hotspot Explorer to find general locations. If you're looking for specific species you can obviously check that out as well.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Linedance posted:

This one was spotted by chance during a songbird survey by the Humboldt State University advanced ornithology class. It was perched just a few feet from a trail, so I guess that helped, even though it was pretty well concealed by the branches.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

EPICAC posted:

How far are you willing to drive? Seconding Coyote Hills, and the general suggestion to check eBird. In San Jose you are a modest (1-2 hour) drive from a ton of good places.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

BetterLekNextTime posted:

How far are you willing to drive? Seconding Coyote Hills, and the general suggestion to check eBird. In San Jose you are a modest (1-2 hour) drive from a ton of good places.

Yea, when I travel with my family I'm always limited in my ability to travel so I hesitated to suggest it, but anytime I'm down there I absolutely have to drive down to Monterey. It's probably one of my favorite places in the entire world and has the added benefit of being a place that can be appreciated by non-birders as well. If you go be sure to hit the Elkhorn slough area for Godwits/Willets/Curlews and Sea Otters.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Moon Potato posted:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've birded that area several times. I've always just gone off eBird reports for birds I want to see. My favorite spots are along the south edge of the bay , but I've always been there during fall shorebird migration and things look pretty sparse this early for shorebirds. I'd probably just use Hotspot Explorer to find general locations. If you're looking for specific species you can obviously check that out as well.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yea, when I travel with my family I'm always limited in my ability to travel so I hesitated to suggest it, but anytime I'm down there I absolutely have to drive down to Monterey. It's probably one of my favorite places in the entire world and has the added benefit of being a place that can be appreciated by non-birders as well. If you go be sure to hit the Elkhorn slough area for Godwits/Willets/Curlews and Sea Otters.

Thanks for the advice. My mother-in-law is into birding, and my wife likes looking at birds, but doesn't really care that much about keeping a list or IDs, so I don't really have to worry about boring people with a trip to look at birds.

The purpose is of the visit is to introduce her extended family to our 4 month old, so I assume we'll be booked a good chunk of the time. We're planning on driving up to Berkeley to visit some friends, and Coyote Hills is on the way, so that seems like a good time to stop there. My wife has an aunt in Watsonville, if we end up there, then Elkhorn slough seems like a good option for a stop.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Here's what I have in my window recently (not the old people):

One thing I'm missing is birds. :colbert: I don't know, my cat hangs out on the windowsill, maybe birds are afraid of her? But I'd think there would at least be attempts, or raids while she's away. Also, a couple days ago noticed a flock of pigeons just round a corner from here. :colbert: Also, my window started 2.5 weeks ago, so I guess there's still hope, but I can't help getting anxious from time to time.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
There are pigeons on the roof of the next building over, which is structurally identical to mine and in the same complex. But the pigeons never come to my deck or my feeder, despite the mess the sparrows make. We have a cat, too, but she's utterly useless as a hunter :3: and is afraid of the birds.

What seeds have you got out for the birds? Some birds seem to have a pretty specific search image and won't really notice a new source of something they don't normally eat. We've had peanuts-in-the-shell on the deck railing for weeks and the local bluejays and magpies - who are supposed to absolutely love such treats - haven't touched them.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh. Although the last part doesn't exactly inspire hope. Anyway, I really haven't thought of that, and in that bottle I put some small grain whose name escapes me, but essentially on the basis that in a country house where I lived for a while chickens were fed that, sometimes... I think...

I could take the enterprise even more seriously and buy a mix for birds from a petshop. However, they come in hefty (relatively speaking) bags, and I've already thrown one out from an old unsuccessful accidental attempt at bird ownership... before I embarked on this enterprise, obviously (otherwise I would have kept the bag, although perhaps the due date really means something).

On that note, perhaps the reason the cone-shaped things are untouched is because there are no cone-preferring birds in the area.

Edit: According to this page I've hit it on the head with white millet for sparrows!

supermikhail fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 17, 2015

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Soon it'll be a month of a failed experiment. I'm basically ready for any suggestions. I just realized that it would be really nice to make it not failed since I'm going on a trip in a couple of weeks, and it could make a nice sanity aid for my cat in my absence. Also, in that week-old photo it's almost summer, and right now outside it's snowing. :rolleyes:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
There was a bit on Last Week Tonight regarding making the Red-Tailed Hawk the official raptor of New Hampshire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nO_-SAPrUU

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Are there any meadowlark experts in this thread? I saw these in the pastures near my parent's house in Limestone County, Texas last weekend. Both eastern and western meadowlarks are in range. I didn't hear any calls to help distinguish. I'm sort of leaning towards eastern since the malar looks light, but since the throats aren't completely yellow I'm not sure if this is diagnostic. Any ideas?

IMG_0124
by EPICAC, on Flickr

IMG_0130
by EPICAC, on Flickr

IMG_0139
by EPICAC, on Flickr

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."

I don't know what you call that. I call that overkill. :argh: Where are they?

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Cross-posting from making GBS threads birds.

I went out and found—more accurately found a group of people with binoculars and long lenses—the Black-backed Woodpecker that's been wintering over at Forest Hills Cemetery in Boston. He was within reach of my puny 300mm lens for about 30 minutes. I thought I'd missed him when I didn't get a chance to go out in January, but apparently he never left. The crazy snow this season just prevented people from getting in to look for him.

Black-backed Woodpecker [Picoides arcticus] by EPICAC, on Flickr

I saw some nice birds last week visiting my wife's parents in San Jose, CA. Fifteen lifers, but I only managed to get good shots of a bushtit visiting the in-laws' back yard.

Bushtit [Psaltriparus minimus] by EPICAC, on Flickr

Bushtit [Psaltriparus minimus] by EPICAC, on Flickr

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

On the off chance there's some Aussies about, what sort of bird hot spots are there sort of day trip distance around Brisbane? Would it be worth the effort to fly up to Cairns for a day or two? I'm going next week for about a week.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

One of two red-shouldered hawks that have taken up residence in my neighborhood recently. They're supposed to be averse to human-populated areas from what I've read, but if he hatched during their most recent mating season then he'd be right at the age where his parents would kick him out. I couldn't find a whole lot of information about fledgling behavior, but I'm assuming they're just sticking around while they get the hang of hunting for themselves before they take up permanent residence elsewhere.

Photo quality is crap because I don't have a camera mount for my scope, and high temps/humidity causes distortions over long distances. This was taken around 475 feet away.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frank Horrigan posted:

One of two red-shouldered hawks that have taken up residence in my neighborhood recently. They're supposed to be averse to human-populated areas from what I've read, but if he hatched during their most recent mating season then he'd be right at the age where his parents would kick him out. I couldn't find a whole lot of information about fledgling behavior, but I'm assuming they're just sticking around while they get the hang of hunting for themselves before they take up permanent residence elsewhere.

Photo quality is crap because I don't have a camera mount for my scope, and high temps/humidity causes distortions over long distances. This was taken around 475 feet away.

Hmm- at least on the west coast these guys are pretty suburban if not urban. Not sure how many years it takes them to set up their own territory- good question!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just been in Queensland, Aus for a week and a bit, some around Brisbane's northern suburbs and hinterland, and a few days at O'Reillys rainforest retreat in lamington national park. Holy crap the birds! My partner and I saw pretty near a hundred life birds. What a wonderful place! I highly recommend O'Reillys for both birding and hiking and cool eucalyptus and rain forest. My favourite birds from the trip were the laughing kookaburra, Eastern whipbird, and paradise riflebird. Will spam the photos thread once I get some good ones processed.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

There are two newly-hatched poofs in the Humboldt Bay eagle nest this weekend. Eaglet #1 hatched yesterday, and #2 emerged this morning.

There's a live stream from the nest cam here:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/humboldt-bay-eagle-cam

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Eaglets!! I don't think I posted this yet- A golden eagle nest at a cool petroglyph site in Wyoming.

Golden Eagle Nest, Castle Gardens on Flickr

[img]https://farm9.staticflickr.com
/8795/17287512711_86d9d92234.jpg[/img]

Castle Gardens 2038 on Flickr

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Oh neat, I didn't know Golden Eagle chicks were white. I'm used to seeing the little grey bobbleheads in Bald Eagle nests.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Posted in the Critterquest thread, but I figured the birding thread would enjoy it too.

A piebald American Robin that lives outside my apartment complex. Unfortunately only had my phone camera on me at the time, hence the less than stellar quality.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/ourwork/b/martinharper/archive/2015/05/06/bad-news-from-bowland.aspx

Bastard(s).

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Look at these shitheads in their little gloryhole. Gah.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Finally got to see a super cooperative Mangrove Cuckoo today.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

Finally got to see a super cooperative Mangrove Cuckoo today.

drat. After the trip I just took to Texas this may be my most desired North American bird. Are you in Florida?

Speaking of Texas, I lucked out and ended up South Padre Island the same day this beauty showed up.

Slate-Throated Redstart
by Josh, on Flickr

Terrible photo, but incredible bird. I also got a Painted Redstart to make it a three redstart week.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

BeastOfExmoor posted:

drat. After the trip I just took to Texas this may be my most desired North American bird. Are you in Florida?

Speaking of Texas, I lucked out and ended up South Padre Island the same day this beauty showed up.

Slate-Throated Redstart
by Josh, on Flickr

Terrible photo, but incredible bird. I also got a Painted Redstart to make it a three redstart week.

Awesome! I'd love to see one of those. I gotta get out and see some more of those western birds. When I get the chance is the question!

On the cuckoo...Well I gotta admit I kinda cheated :D. I went out of the continental US to get it. But who cares it was still tough to actually get a look at one. I was out with my mom since it's close to mother's day which was real cool cause she got to be on one of my bird walks. So she's a photographer and she even got a pic of it!!!!

My previous attempts at this bird(one outside the continental US also) were completely futile.

But it's big so I can't get it on here.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 12:26 on May 9, 2015

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Kawalimus posted:

But it's big so I can't get it on here.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see it. You could open an Imgur account and share it through there.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Ok I'll work on that. I'm headed home today and have a long day of travel coming up so you won't see it till sunday but I really like the pic she got. It was cool it reminded me of when I was a kid and she used to take me places birding. Never thought she'd be the one I'd see the Mangrove "c*********" Cuckoo as I had come to call it.

edit: Edited in case someone is offended by that!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 9, 2015

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/7VhJa4W.jpg

Here it is! I think my mom did a pretty good job with this pic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Not sure if this is the right place, but can anyone identify this hawk? My abilities are limited to asking "does it have a red tail", and this time the answer is no. Taken in Calgary, Alberta.

edit: The consensus among my friends is Merlin. Are we right?

Chamale fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 15, 2015