Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Garfu posted:

I was just about to ask if there was a way to turn off skill decay yet. That's kinda why I stopped playing a couple alphas ago.

I just bought the game and skill decay sounds annoying, so I made a quick patch to disable it for build 727. I've only done couple minutes of testing, but it seems to work properly.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/46flbx41313yvur/disable_skill_decay_727.7z

Just unpack into RimWorld727Win_Data/Managed and run apply_patch.bat. It backs up the original Assembly-CSharp.dll and applies the patch.
I had to make it an xdelta patch because disabling the decay in a mod seems impossible or really hard. All this does is replace the skill decay method body with a bunch of no-ops, effectively disabling it.

into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I'm having the weirdest problem. Every time i download and install the game, ever since the last main version, i get a texture fault with the Muffalo graphics, so they show up only as red squares. No mods, no nothing, and its persisted through versions

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Filthy Monkey posted:

The decay for skills over 10 is kind of irritating. It makes it really hard to get some skills up. I started a colony with min, who is a special character incapable a shitload of stuff, but who comes with 15+ art and social. Even using her as my only warden and trader, her social skill is still decaying, and has gone down to 14.

I've always wondered whether she's based on the kpop artist, feels like too much of a coincidence not to be.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Pollyzoid posted:

I just bought the game and skill decay sounds annoying, so I made a quick patch to disable it for build 727.

You're a good person.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Just had a giant spider called a 'Spindlecrib' go mad and attack my rainforest colony. I figured it couldn't be much of a thread since it was an animal, so I drafted two dudes with clubs to go kill it - and it downed them almost literally instantly; they inflicted a single bruise on it. It then proceeded to bust into every house in the colony, one by one, and incap or kill every single settler, without suffering any significant injuries to speak of. Not even the turrets slowed it down. I'm not sure which mod adds it, but those things are scary. They also seem to have a zero-second cooldown for their melee attack, which means they can just spam it dozens of times in the time it takes your colonists to warm up a single strike.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Opal posted:

I've always wondered whether she's based on the kpop artist, feels like too much of a coincidence not to be.
My current game idea was based around treating her as the colony princess. I build her opulent quarters and she chisels out and sells fine art to keep the colony funded.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Opal posted:

The "special characters" are early backers, I believe; there's a Vas who posts a lot on the Ludeon forum, for instance (I always seem to end up with Vas in my games). I'm guessing there was a reward tier where they got to submit a character outline, so it's quite possible that you're right and the backer based their character on Lee Min-young.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Drunk in Space posted:

The "special characters" are early backers, I believe; there's a Vas who posts a lot on the Ludeon forum, for instance (I always seem to end up with Vas in my games). I'm guessing there was a reward tier where they got to submit a character outline, so it's quite possible that you're right and the backer based their character on Lee Min-young.

Yeah , some characters are backers. Got an Anthony Burch, he was good at everything. Not that subtle, but i guess thats par for the course

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

This loving game has seriously been colonizing my free time. :/

Managed to win my first game (Cassandra on rough, foresty type biome), got the colony up to 15 dudes and was half way through the ship when a bunch of those sluggy mech fuckers landed and totally tore me a new rear end in a top hat. After losing 7 guys to them, the others suddenly seemed really keen on finishing that spaceship. Good way to wrap the game up.

Now for Cassandra on Challenge....

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Randy on Challenge has been giving me a ridiculously easy time so far. It's just, like, cargo pods, cargo pods, cargo pods, escape pod with awesome colonist, huge loving swarm of traders, cargo pods, cargo pods, cargo pods, colonist just showing up and joining my colony, pirate raid of five dudes with swords...I'm starting to get worried that he's about to dump a hilariously massive pile of poo poo on me, because there seriously hasn't been a serious bad event in a couple of years of gametime now.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

BRB pooping posted:

Yeah , some characters are backers. Got an Anthony Burch, he was good at everything. Not that subtle, but i guess thats par for the course

Also there is that creepy cloned prostitute (or similar).

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Geokinesis posted:

Also there is that creepy cloned prostitute (or similar).

Childhood: Kidnapped
Profession: Sex-slave

:stare:

(Not exactly in those words, but that's the jist. It's really off-putting.)

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Generation Internet posted:

Childhood: Kidnapped
Profession: Sex-slave

:stare:

(Not exactly in those words, but that's the jist. It's really off-putting.)

Yeah it really is the most glaring. Pretty much all the other unique characters don't seem terrible.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Pollyzoid posted:

I just bought the game and skill decay sounds annoying, so I made a quick patch to disable it for build 727. I've only done couple minutes of testing, but it seems to work properly.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/46flbx41313yvur/disable_skill_decay_727.7z

Just unpack into RimWorld727Win_Data/Managed and run apply_patch.bat. It backs up the original Assembly-CSharp.dll and applies the patch.
I had to make it an xdelta patch because disabling the decay in a mod seems impossible or really hard. All this does is replace the skill decay method body with a bunch of no-ops, effectively disabling it.

into

Any reason why this wont work with build 671? I'm guessing the files don't match and it just renames the original and does nothing.

How can I modify it to make it work with my build? Don't really want to update to 727 and this sounds like a great little fix.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I played 2 different forts on the classic story teller and the hardest difficulty. Lost both. Man they really start ramping up the attacks. I also just played with the 3 people they gave me, and one was a noble and wouldn't do anything, so I effectively had 2 people. 3rd pirate attack was like 10 guys. Sniper rifles cut me and my turrets down quick :(

Second fort I managed to get up to 6 people, but then a heatwave of 135+ degrees hit at the same time an eclipse happened, and so everybody went loving crazy from heat and started beating the poo poo out of each other. Then a pirate attack came and politely killed anything left.

I wish I could reclaim a fort. Have 3 new people drop down and bury the bodies of my colonists :(

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

crabrock posted:

I played 2 different forts on the classic story teller and the hardest difficulty. Lost both. Man they really start ramping up the attacks. I also just played with the 3 people they gave me, and one was a noble and wouldn't do anything, so I effectively had 2 people. 3rd pirate attack was like 10 guys. Sniper rifles cut me and my turrets down quick :(

Second fort I managed to get up to 6 people, but then a heatwave of 135+ degrees hit at the same time an eclipse happened, and so everybody went loving crazy from heat and started beating the poo poo out of each other. Then a pirate attack came and politely killed anything left.

I wish I could reclaim a fort. Have 3 new people drop down and bury the bodies of my colonists :(

You could try waiting on fast forward to see if you get the event where a colonist joins and try from there :v:

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Drunk in Space posted:

Oh yeah I forgot all about that. I received the basic version of that backer reward and apparently it was accepted! I guess my character should be showing up now, too.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Opal posted:

Oh yeah I forgot all about that. I received the basic version of that backer reward and apparently it was accepted! I guess my character should be showing up now, too.

If you wanna see your name in the options menu there are some boxes you can put names you'd like to see often.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Maybe we could update the OP with a few of the tips and tricks, some of the universally important mods (EDB Prepare Carefully, mod loader, and interface at the bare minimum), some basic info about colonist traits, who some of the special characters are (Vas, Mispy, Baskshire, etc.) ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want to write a guide or link to guides you think are good, I can link them in the OP. I admit personally I would have difficulty knowing what people need help with given that I've played the game a fair bit so it's all relatively intuitive to me.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I don't do Randy too much because i've had a few crushingly boring games with him.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Alaan posted:

I don't do Randy too much because i've had a few crushingly boring games with him.

Yeah, my current Randy game has actually been more consistently peaceful and prosperous than the storyteller specifically designed for a game of peaceful prosperity. I'm just getting constantly bombarded with cargo pods full of free poo poo and well-stocked traders are constantly stopping by, year after year, for going on four years now. Don't get me wrong, it's kind of relaxing to build up a nice peaceful utopian frontier village, but I spent all this time designing these kickin' rad defenses, I'd kind of like to test them at some point.

e: conversely, I've also had Randy games where I get sieged by five huge mobs of pirates in a row while dealing with a short-circuit, a massive electrical fire, and a bunch of raging animals.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

The good news is that whenever you feel your defenses are up to code you can switch story-tellers and difficulty modifiers from the main menu, in case you weren't aware.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

New pet peeve: You can't treat prisoners that are wandering around. I have a guy that has been bleeding to death and got infected because he got out of bed before my doc could physically walk to him.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Alaan posted:

New pet peeve: You can't treat prisoners that are wandering around. I have a guy that has been bleeding to death and got infected because he got out of bed before my doc could physically walk to him.

Set one of the beds in your prison to 'medical' and they'll stay in it if injured.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Here is me going DURR. I usually have one but forgot to this time.

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Any reason why this wont work with build 671? I'm guessing the files don't match and it just renames the original and does nothing.

How can I modify it to make it work with my build? Don't really want to update to 727 and this sounds like a great little fix.

If you can get me build 671's Assembly-CSharp.dll, I'll create the patch for it. The patch only works if the original file matches exactly, so I have to create it again for every build (only takes a couple minutes).

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I tried to do it myself but I couldn't.

Thanks!

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
http://www.mediafire.com/download/iqdt3loa5d6b0q6/disable_skill_decay-671.7z

There you go, didn't test it but it should work.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Geokinesis posted:

If you wanna see your name in the options menu there are some boxes you can put names you'd like to see often.

Yep but this way you guys'll be allowed to see it as well. :)

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Looks like it works. Thank you very much!

For future reference, this is for alpha 8.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Opal posted:

Yep but this way you guys'll be allowed to see it as well. :)

Oh no, what I meant was that the names you put in there are the special existing character names. So if you wanted to see the pop singer more often put it in there and you'll have a higher % chance when rerolling colonists for them to pop up OR if you don't take them at the start you'll see them in raids/visits/whatever fairly often.

E:
Only for backer names.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 2, 2015

Opal
May 10, 2005

Ohh right, I didn't read the description well enough. That's cool, thanks!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

"Operation has failed in a minor way"

Oh, well that can't be so ba-

You were trying to install a drat peg-leg :psyduck:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Well, the operation was a success. However the doctor also spontaneously decided to do a heart transplant. Then he realized that he didn't have a second heart.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Reminds me of assigning no-skill dwarves to medical work in Dwarf Fortress. 'Well, based on my diagnosis, this man with a stab wound in his leg clearly shows the symptoms of an infection in his lungs, which I will cure by surgically removing them.'

Also, that setup you have where the air conditioners (or what I assume are air conditioners) in each bedroom output their waste heat into the bedroom above them seems a little inefficient.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Might be vents if something like Central Heating got updated. While temps DO technically go through walls they do it quite poorly, especially on brick or natural stone. A heater or cooler barely nudges the temp of adjacent rooms.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

They're vents. So they are inefficiently laid out, but because you should always connect vents in parallel, not in series.

I learned this the dead-to-hypothermia way.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah, they're vents and I just kinda slapped them down wherever before I even realized that tempurature equalizes through walls now. It seems to work well enough in the winter, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Moddington posted:

They're vents. So they are inefficiently laid out, but because you should always connect vents in parallel, not in series.

I learned this the dead-to-hypothermia way.

By this do you mean
code:
----------DH------------
|--VD------VD------VD--|
|       |       |      |
|       |       |      |
|       |       |      |
------------------------
where D is a door, H is the heater, and V is a vent?