Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Pinterest Mom posted:

Would you like me to use it on someone else?

I think Byers' suggestion of holding onto it for the time being is probably safest route.

That said, if you feel reasonably sure that you have scum in your sights, then go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Meinberg posted:

I think Byers' suggestion of holding onto it for the time being is probably safest route.

That said, if you feel reasonably sure that you have scum in your sights, then go ahead.

You think it's a good idea to use a vig on someone I'm "reasonably sure" is scum, knowing that we won't know if I hit correctly?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

You think it's a good idea to use a vig on someone I'm "reasonably sure" is scum, knowing that we won't know if I hit correctly?

While information is the most useful resource to town, dead scum is a decent second best.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Although having said that, it occurs to me that the time when there is the least opportunity information cost is D1, so maybe it would be better to use it today. But on the other hand, you'd be the least certain of hitting scum the earlier you use it. It's a rough situation, for sure.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Day vig in a 15 person game given to town would be unbelievably unbalanced for scum, making it simultaneously a janitor fixes that problem, as PM just put it:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Meinberg, there is no reason to use it.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Meinberg, since you're around, what do you think about literally any player.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Meinberg posted:

Although having said that, it occurs to me that the time when there is the least opportunity information cost is D1, so maybe it would be better to use it today. But on the other hand, you'd be the least certain of hitting scum the earlier you use it. It's a rough situation, for sure.

what

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Max posted:

Meinberg, since you're around, what do you think about literally any player.

I'm still feeling somewhat cautious about PMom. I'm not entirely sure that he actually has the vig, and his defense of Rarity was way too vehement.

I'm liking Capps and Byers, the latter for actually putting in (for him) an effort at being clear and communicative, and the latter for choosing to proceed with the day event.

I'm kinda iffy on Rarity, and I'm starting to feel more ambivalent towards you.

Byers2142 posted:

I've got gut leaning GG right now. There's no desire to find scum in his posts at all.

I agree with Byers on this.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Information is a resource in Mafia. The janitored vig costs us the information the information we would have gotten from that player's flip. The earlier in the game, the less information that is revealed by a flip. However, the earlier in the game, the less the odds of hitting scum.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Meinberg posted:

I'm still feeling somewhat cautious about PMom. I'm not entirely sure that he actually has the vig, and his defense of Rarity was way too vehement.

I'm liking Capps and Byers, the latter for actually putting in (for him) an effort at being clear and communicative, and the latter for choosing to proceed with the day event.

I agree with Byers on this.

Do you feel OK leaving your vote on me, still?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

And what are your thoughts on GG?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Meinberg posted:

Information is a resource in Mafia. The janitored vig costs us the information the information we would have gotten from that player's flip. The earlier in the game, the less information that is revealed by a flip. However, the earlier in the game, the less the odds of hitting scum.

Those are both bad things though!

I understand what you're saying about opportunity cost, but the alternative is losing zero information.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Meinberg posted:

Hold on, who is who in this sentence, you said the latter twice. I have no idea how someone could defend capps.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

If you are saying capps is being clear and communicative, then I don't know what to say to that.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Meinberg posted:

To be clear, are you positing a PMom/Rar scum team, or just saying that my defense of her was artificial?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Meinberg posted:

We arguably get more information from D1, which is why no lynching on D1 puts town behind the 8 ball. Now you're suggesting we likely mislynch while still suffering the lack of information to work with from a no lynch?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Max posted:

If you are saying capps is being clear and communicative, then I don't know what to say to that.

qft

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I appreciate and enjoy playing with capps. The way he hounds people is really effective at getting them to trip up. There's a lot of bullshit to wade through, but that's fine~

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

I appreciate and enjoy playing with capps. The way he hounds people is really effective at getting them to trip up. There's a lot of bullshit to wade through, but that's fine~

Let's agree to strongly disagree.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

##unvote

Let me start by saying that it's late for me, so I might be as clear as I might otherwise be.

Max posted:

Hold on, who is who in this sentence, you said the latter twice. I have no idea how someone could defend capps.

I mean that capps is being relatively clear and communicative.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Those are both bad things though!

I understand what you're saying about opportunity cost, but the alternative is losing zero information.

It's about the balance between the risks and the opportunities. A dead scum is a plus for the town, even if we don't know they're scum.

Pinterest Mom posted:

To be clear, are you positing a PMom/Rar scum team, or just saying that my defense of her was artificial?

The latter. Rarity could be either scum or town and your behavior would still seem suspicious to me.

Byers2142 posted:

We arguably get more information from D1, which is why no lynching on D1 puts town behind the 8 ball. Now you're suggesting we likely mislynch while still suffering the lack of information to work with from a no lynch?

This is a good point, and I will say that no lynching on D1 is a terrible idea. I'd make a more detailed argument about the importance of information on D1, but I think that'd lead me into tangential areas of discussion.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

So given Rarity's schedule, I'd like a clear choice for a lynch. I'm a little annoyed that DbD isn't around and just left a vote on me, but he gave a reason. capps wandering off isn't so great, and I'd like to do this before other people need to leave as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

And I think this current Meinberg thing is distracting at the moment.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Max posted:

Day vig in a 15 person game given to town would be unbelievably unbalanced for scum, making it simultaneously a janitor fixes that problem, as PM just put it:

Day vigs for town are common cause they hit town way more often than scum.

Meinberg, please show examples of capps being clear and communicative.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think EXAKT and Amni are also good dunk candidates: Exakt has only one opinion (Max is scum), and has layers of bullshit obscuring his posting

and Amni hasn't engaged at all.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Max posted:

If two words are going to take me out day 1 then I don't know man.

Do you actually have no problem with GG just laying down a vote because I have no idea why actually.

EXAKT Science posted:

Look at the exasperation that he is being pushed. I can understand frustration at being accused, believe me as a lawyer it's something I see nearly every day of my life, but then he tries to pivot, to cast aspersions upon Mr. Everest while still not committing to anything material, as though he doesn't want to be wrong, or to be caught in a lie
I'm pretty sure this Exakt response is grade A, purestrain bullshit.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Mafia is not as fun to play minus a computer.

I think Amni is bad because they asked me a question and then never acknowledged me again. Boo amni.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'd rather go for GG than Exakt

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Also its hilarious that dbd is still mad I go to see cool movies.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh, gee, yeah DBD is really bad too. Would vote. Like half his posts are "Dr. Hurt said he would go to the movies??!"

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Who is here and wants to see something cool??

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Max posted:

I'd rather go for GG than Exakt

Exakt?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I think Exakt might be a badguy based on his logic making no sense to me. Read the post I quoted and tell me where he got "as though he doesn't want to be wrong, or to be caught in a lie" from.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

EXAKT?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dr. Hurt posted:

Who is here and wants to see something cool??

me.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Here I am I'm reading since I last posted.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I am making dinner and watching Breaking Bad (4 more episodes!!!!!) but I'm around from now until deadline.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Sloane took a long drag from one of her many flasks. Old Tom #5, the finest booze one could get five hundred miles from anything that passed for decent civilization.

Hey. Hey assholrs. Wanna shee somethin neat?? Check thisssss out.

with the patience of a handful of drunken duels, Sloane slowly maneuvers her buffalo rifle into what passes for a shooting position.

##shoot Amni

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Cheers!!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

(I PMed E+, hopefully he comes around to resolve this soon.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

(I PMed E+, hopefully he comes around to resolve this soon.)

You mean sombrero??

• Locked thread