Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Steve Yun posted:

Well I got a lot of hexagon cookies now if that's your thing

I do kind of have a thing for space-filling shapes, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I got a new oven a while ago and was too cool to actually read the manual for it, and decided after a few weeks of not loving anything up that I'd make a carrot cake. Accidentally grilled that fucker for a good fifteen minutes before I smelled smoke, but the rest of it was under cooked so I kept cooking it because, hey, even bad carrot cake is pretty awesome and I can always cut off the burnt bits and cover it in icing.

Somehow ended up with a carrot cake the consistency/density of a brownie, that tasted like gingerbread for some reason.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I got a new oven a while ago and was too cool to actually read the manual for it, and decided after a few weeks of not loving anything up that I'd make a carrot cake. Accidentally grilled that fucker for a good fifteen minutes before I smelled smoke, but the rest of it was under cooked so I kept cooking it because, hey, even bad carrot cake is pretty awesome and I can always cut off the burnt bits and cover it in icing.

Somehow ended up with a carrot cake the consistency/density of a brownie, that tasted like gingerbread for some reason.

That sounds like material for an "accidental miracles" cooking thread.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Vavrek posted:

That sounds like material for an "accidental miracles" cooking thread.

I dubbed it the identity crisis cake, and it was actually not bad. Didn't really work with the cream cheese frosting though.
Gingerbread brownies are something I should attempt properly one day (and will probably encounter a bunch of stories for this thread on the process)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I was roasting a beef tenderloin last weekend and my thermometer was accidentally set to Celsius :negative:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Crazyeyes posted:

I was roasting a beef tenderloin last weekend and my thermometer was accidentally set to Celsius :negative:

Oh christ. This is a sin against the meat gods.

whatup, fellow beef destroyer sinner

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Well I got a lot of hexagon cookies now if that's your thing

Settlers of Toll House

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Neuroshima Snacks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steve Yun posted:

Don't overcrowd your cookie sheet

I made cookies a while back and for some reason had those half-sticks of butter. I thought 8 of them was 2 sticks....

Put my cookies in the oven and they came out thinner than that with a big puddle of melted butter.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Not so much a disaster than a slight cockup, but...

I had a hankering for something vaguely Indian tonight. I baked some swai to serve over curried rice, and during the last few minutes brushed on a healthy amount of Sultan brand Tikka-Kebab Chutney I'd stirred into some melted butter.

The result when I pulled it out of the oven: nuclear bright green fish, all the way through. Tasty as hell, if you closed your eyes; but if I looked, my brain kept expecting it to taste like chopped broccoli, because that's exactly what it looked like. :psyduck:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
A few years ago a roommate decided he'd borrow my cast iron dutch oven to make tomato bisque.

I don't have roommates anymore.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

The result when I pulled it out of the oven: nuclear bright green fish, all the way through. Tasty as hell, if you closed your eyes; but if I looked, my brain kept expecting it to taste like chopped broccoli, because that's exactly what it looked like. :psyduck:

There was a psych experiment years back where they died steak blue and stuck it under a colored light on people's plates while they ate it. After a period they'd remove the light and people would see the color of what they were eating and get sick from it.

It's also probably why that colored ketchup for kids failed so miserably. Purple food is associated unconsciously with something being wrong with it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Party Plane Jones posted:

There was a psych experiment years back where they died steak blue and stuck it under a colored light on people's plates while they ate it. After a period they'd remove the light and people would see the color of what they were eating and get sick from it.

It's also probably why that colored ketchup for kids failed so miserably. Purple food is associated unconsciously with something being wrong with it.

It might trigger that "this food is rotten!" instinct.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Purple food is associated unconsciously with something being wrong with it.

Red onion, red cabbage, beetroot, blueberries, venison, aubergine, kale, blackberries, purple cauliflower, grapes, carrots, potatoes, beans, figs and octopus all come in a variety of purples.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cavenagh posted:

Red onion, red cabbage, beetroot, blueberries, venison, aubergine, kale, blackberries, purple cauliflower, grapes, carrots, potatoes, beans, figs and octopus all come in a variety of purples.

quote:

During one experiment in the early 1970s people were served an oddly tinted meal of steak and french fries that appeared normal beneath colored lights. Everyone thought the meal tasted fine until the lighting was changed. Once it became apparent that the steak was actually blue and the fries were green, some people became ill.

Studies have found that the color of a food can greatly affect how its taste is perceived. Brightly colored foods frequently seem to taste better than bland-looking foods, even when the flavor compounds are identical. Foods that somehow look off-color often seem to have off tastes. For thousands of years human beings have relied on visual cues to help determine what is edible. The color of fruit suggests whether it is ripe, the color of meat whether it is rancid. Flavor researchers sometimes use colored lights to modify the influence of visual cues during taste tests.

That's what their meal looked like when the colored light was taken away.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My mom was a perfect example of this with her aversion to blue food. She loved Carvel cakes with a passion. Any excuse to buy a Carvel cake, she would. (Dog's birthday? Let's get a Carvel, even though the dog can't eat it!) But if you brought home one with blue "flowers" on it, she would be absolutely repulsed, even though it's the same exact ice cream cake as the one with pink trim, just with a different food coloring added.

That blue steak would've probably sent her into shock.

To stay a bit more on topic, lemme share with you what starts as a dinner disaster and later becomes a cooking cockup.

Valentines Day, sometime in the 90's. My boyfriend of the time worked at a video store (remember those?) and was working until 11pm on V Day. The plan was that I'd order an rear end-ton of Chinese food delivered, buy a lot of alcohol, and have everything ready when he came over after work. Eat Chinese, get drunk, have sex. (Ah, the simpler times when I was in college.) I was already set on the drink front. Called in the Chinese order about an hour before my bf was due to come over. I'm busy tidying up the house, changing the sheets, primping myself, etc. Half an hour later, I note it's about time to get my wallet so I can pay the delivery guy. (Remember, this is the 90's, so strictly cash.)

Uh, where IS my wallet?

I start tearing the house apart looking for it. Checking every coat, every pair of jeans I found, flinging poo poo all around the house. Digging in the couch, checking my car. No joy. I'm starting to freak out. Chinese is on the way, and I have no way to pay for it.

The delivery guy shows up, and I'm in tears at having hosed up what should have been a nice romantic evening. "I have no money, I can't find my wallet." He looks sullen (I don't blame him) and drives off. 15 minutes later, my bf pulls up. Now I'm outright sobbing, trying to get out the story in between my hysterical blubbering. It's now past 11, and even if he wanted to pay, the Chinese place is closed. General Tso is off the table tonight.

Nice fella that he was, he tells me it's okay, let's just find something to eat here and have a nice night. Thing is, I barely have anything in the house, being a poor college student. "Let's make grilled cheese," he suggests. Okay, fine, I can do that. Not very romantic, but I can do that. I calm down a little and start pre-heating the stove while buttering the bread.

Suddenly, and for reasons I still don't know, the stove catches fire. My best guess is some leftover grease, from whatever I cooked last, caught on the electric burner and started it. It is my first kitchen fire ever, I'm already in hysterics over having ruined the evening, and yet I still have the presence of mind to find the nearest pot lid to slap over the fire. There's a big Farberware stockpot lid sitting on the adjacent kitchen table. I slap it on the burner, problem solved.

And there, on the table, is my wallet. It wasn't unusual for me to put it and my keys and such there on that table. Why I put that drat lid down OVER it, I still don't know, guess I was in a hurry to clean and figured "well that'll go in the sink soon enough" then forgot about it in my haste.

That was the year we had nothing but the Toblerone he brought and red wine for Valentine's Day. Could've been worse, I guess.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I had a book when I was a kid about the adventures of a wildlife / zoo / whatever veterinarian. Basically, the guy went around solving weird problems at zoos, carnivals, circuses, private menageries, etc., mostly in the UK and had quite the collection of weird work stories. In one episode, there was a tiger at a small zoo that was suffering from malnutrition. The undereducated half-wits working as the tiger's keepers (side note: I know standards have improved vastly since the 50s-60s when these stories happened, I have considerable respect for current-day zookeepers) were stealing the prime cuts of meat the tiger needed and substituting cheap, nasty stuff that included lots of non-nutritional filler. Think sawdust-filled F-grade sausages. Anyway, the solution to this problem was to tell everyone that he was providing medicine to the tiger, which was actually just lots and lots of blue food colouring. The tiger recovered because the tiger didn't care about bright blue steaks but the keepers stopped stealing them.

Valentines Day, sometime in the 90's.
But the blubbery I'm-an-idiot-nobody-can-love-me sex afterwards was great, right?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

My mom was a perfect example of this with her aversion to blue food. She loved Carvel cakes with a passion. Any excuse to buy a Carvel cake, she would. (Dog's birthday? Let's get a Carvel, even though the dog can't eat it!) But if you brought home one with blue "flowers" on it, she would be absolutely repulsed, even though it's the same exact ice cream cake as the one with pink trim, just with a different food coloring added.

That blue steak would've probably sent her into shock.

My mom wanted an all-blue party for her 5th birthday, and my grandmother went all out, including baking a totally blue cake and mixing up some blue ice cream.

None of the other kids would even touch it. This would have been in 1952, so I have no idea about how common artificial colorings would have been, but apparently the blue cake caused tears.

She's still mad about the whole thing. Whenever I'm around for her birthday, I bake her a big fuckoff blue cake.

edit: We also drink about a bottle of red wine each and have bluish teeth!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

bringmyfishback posted:

This would have been in 1952, so I have no idea about how common artificial colorings would have been, but apparently the blue cake caused tears.

Food coloring in the 50s was common as all hell; they actually had to take a bunch of them off the market because they found out that at the amount kids were consuming them it was making them sick.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Food coloring in the 50s was common as all hell; they actually had to take a bunch of them off the market because they found out that at the amount kids were consuming them it was making them sick.

Then they were probably right not to eat it!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Won't lie, I thought the purple ketchup was kinda rad, even if it was a stupid gimmick (I would've had R&D make it mustard yellow).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Mister Macys posted:

Won't lie, I thought the purple ketchup was kinda rad, even if it was a stupid gimmick (I would've had R&D make it mustard yellow).

From what I've read, the most recent colored ketchups fad failed not because nobody would eat them but because most of the color additives passed through entirely intact. "Hulk Green" ketchup was apparently the most notorious, especially in diapers.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Splizwarf posted:

From what I've read, the most recent colored ketchups fad failed not because nobody would eat them but because most of the color additives passed through entirely intact. "Hulk Green" ketchup was apparently the most notorious, especially in diapers.

Don't kinkshame.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm I wonder how my 2010 stash of earthquake emergency prepper collapsed-society libertarian food is? Better check...

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Hmm I wonder how my 2010 stash of earthquake emergency prepper collapsed-society libertarian food is? Better check...

Now, comrade. Do not be of wasting rations. Sergei here will gladly eat myassa if you are not of wanting. This brave can was made by our allies in the United States of Amerika, has braved the fascist dogs at sea and triumphantly crossed the Vloga under a hail of bullets to be with you. See, it is of bulging with excitement to be eaten! It should be honor to eat that СПЭМ.
_______________________________________________________________________/

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 5, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Steve Yun posted:

Looks like some tasty botulism there.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i've eaten spam far more bulged out than that. eat it you pussy

hell on a camping trip we ate spam that we found had been punctured at some point. could have been weeks, could have been years. idk but we ate it and no one got sick(er)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm not falling for that one again :mad:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Ahahaha I made spaghetti for my in-laws with tomato sauce from scratch and I just found out their version of garlic bread is to stick a piece of bread in the toaster and slather it with that godawful "garlic butter" poo poo from Papa Johns. The kind you get in a tiny little plastic container to stick your pizza in loving shoot me.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Could be worse. I had dinner at a friend of the family's house once and they just slathered the bread in butter and garlic salt. Tons of it. :barf:

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Yeah no, they do that too. :shepicide: These are the same people that taught my husband from a young age that spaghetti is cooked to perfection when you throw it at the wall and it sticks. It took me three years to dissuade him from that notion; that spaghetti will stick regardless if it's cooked al dente or boiled to death.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

kinmik posted:

Ahahaha I made spaghetti for my in-laws with tomato sauce from scratch and I just found out their version of garlic bread is to stick a piece of bread in the toaster and slather it with that godawful "garlic butter" poo poo from Papa Johns. The kind you get in a tiny little plastic container to stick your pizza in loving shoot me.

Korean garlic bread is sweet.

It is not good.

Your in-laws' recipe sounds better.

A.s.P.
Jun 29, 2006

They're just a bunch of shapes. Don't read too deeply into it.
For some reason I thought wax paper was basically indestructible so I broiled some fish sauce marinated pork chops in my lovely old oven. The wax paper caught fire and the entire grody broiler interior was engulfed in flames for several long minutes and never worked again.

Pork chops were stupendous though.

I told my super about the broken broiler and he replaced the oven with a brand new one. Only took him 13 months. NYC rentals! :argh:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yeah, there is a difference between wax paper and parchment paper.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

I'm sorry, I realize this isn't E/N, but my god my in-laws. I love them (in small doses) but sometimes they make me want to claw the skin off my face. Visited them for a couple of weeks and decided to make a huge dinner. Beef roast, chicken schnitzel, crispy salmon, roasted potatoes, and sauteed snap peas. Smoked up the whole kitchen, spent several hours on my feet. One hour before everything was ready, sister-in-law calls up her cousin and decides on her own that we're all going out to eat. At Chili's.

:suicide:
Leftovers the next day were pretty baller though.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

kinmik posted:

I'm sorry, I realize this isn't E/N, but my god my in-laws. I love them (in small doses) but sometimes they make me want to claw the skin off my face. Visited them for a couple of weeks and decided to make a huge dinner. Beef roast, chicken schnitzel, crispy salmon, roasted potatoes, and sauteed snap peas. Smoked up the whole kitchen, spent several hours on my feet. One hour before everything was ready, sister-in-law calls up her cousin and decides on her own that we're all going out to eat. At Chili's.

:suicide:
Leftovers the next day were pretty baller though.

Did you tell them you had cooked all that poo poo? If they still went to Chili's then they must really hate your cooking.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

kinmik posted:

Jesus, don't let people walk over you like this. I would have told her "I'm sorry you won't be staying for dinner, but I hope you and <cousin> enjoy your meal at Chili's". gently caress that.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Bob_McBob posted:

Jesus, don't let people walk over you like this. I would have told her "I'm sorry you won't be staying for dinner, but I hope you and <cousin> enjoy your meal at Chili's". gently caress that.

Seriously, jesus christ.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Had it been literally anyone else, I'd have done what you say. But my SIL is a unique case. She suffered a stroke several years ago and three years after, their family broke up in a bad way. As a result, she's gone downhill in physical and mental health. If one person disagrees with her, then it means the entire world does too. She'll fume and bitch and gripe and hold grudges for weeks and make sure she takes every goddamn one of you down with her.

No, it was a far easier and gentler task to throw the lot in the fridge. Besides, not all the family went. Grandma stayed and ate it and she was pretty much the only one I was trying to impress. She talked about that meal to anyone who would listen. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

kinmik posted:

Had it been literally anyone else, I'd have done what you say. But my SIL is a unique case. She suffered a stroke several years ago and three years after, their family broke up in a bad way. As a result, she's gone downhill in physical and mental health. If one person disagrees with her, then it means the entire world does too. She'll fume and bitch and gripe and hold grudges for weeks and make sure she takes every goddamn one of you down with her.

No, it was a far easier and gentler task to throw the lot in the fridge. Besides, not all the family went. Grandma stayed and ate it and she was pretty much the only one I was trying to impress. She talked about that meal to anyone who would listen. :smuggo:

Grandma sounds pretty cool. But drat even with that context I'd be hard pressed to suck it up there. You're a better person than I am