Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

Independence Day and War of the Worlds have a reasonable excuse (super-advanced alien shields), but even still, combined arms and concentrated fire should be able break a shield. And especially nuclear weapons!

ID4's ships' shields protect against their own city-destroying weapons, though, so it's not completely out of nowhere.

War of the Worlds was worse because in the original story, the British Army/Navy are able to fight the tripods some, albeit with heavy attrition. (HMS Thunder Child :britain: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Byzantine posted:

ID4's ships' shields protect against their own city-destroying weapons, though, so it's not completely out of nowhere.

War of the Worlds was worse because in the original story, the British Army/Navy are able to fight the tripods some, albeit with heavy attrition. (HMS Thunder Child :britain: )

The book was great specifically because of the back-and-forth. The aliens landed and hosed up humans, we counterattacked, and they responded with new tactics, we countered those tactics and responded, and they counter-countered. It was great :allears:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Conventional weapons don't work on (real) Godzilla because Godzilla regenerates super fast. So even if they do punch a hole in him he'll just heal it up before it kills him. They develop the Mazer tanks when they realize electricity kinda slows him down but they only do so much. None of the X-series super scifi battleships seem to do all that much either. Eventually they start making freeze bombs and black holes and robot Godzillas literally built on the bones of previous ones and those just backfire on them and make new monsters to deal with.

A super powerful monster manages to kill Godzilla by making him fight so long that he suffers an internal meltdown but then his life force just moves onto his son and you've now got a stronger, younger, more angry Godzilla to deal with. The only reliable anti-Godzilla weapon is the oxygen destroyer and that was lost with it's inventor.

The best part of the new American movie is that they are pretty much going "well we can't loving stop this thing so let's just let it do what it's doing". Godzilla's main motivation seems to usually be that he hates imitations of himself or other creatures existing on a similar scale to him, so if you can learn to live around Godzilla he'll take care of all the other monsters for you.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Light Gun Man posted:

The best part of the new American movie is that they are pretty much going "well we can't loving stop this thing so let's just let it do what it's doing". Godzilla's main motivation seems to usually be that he hates imitations of himself or other creatures existing on a similar scale to him, so if you can learn to live around Godzilla he'll take care of all the other monsters for you.

There was a series of Godzilla novels several years back where the characters got this. The humans basically just kept tabs on Big G and evacuated populated areas in his path, but otherwise left him alone until they needed to steer him toward a more unpredictable monster.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Polaron posted:

At least in Pacific Rim, they make the monsters' blood into an ecological catastrophe so obviously bladed weapons would be a last resort.

Plus, they killed the first two or three Kaiju with conventional weapons, they just killed tens of thousands of people before they went down.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I recall CinemaSins pointing out that in the first attack they only lost like 7,000 people. I don't like that guy's channel much because even childhood spergs eventually tire of pedantics unless they're funny, but he made a good point-- if a kaiju like that destroyed about 2 major cities and you only lost 7,000 people then you're incredibly lucky. I mean for gently caress's sake 9/11 claimed around 5,000 and that was just a few city blocks, the Pentagon, and a third plane.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Pneub posted:

Actual real-world answer: Kurt Russel said it looked stupid, so John Carpenter made him keep wearing it to gently caress with him.

Please tell me you have a source for this, because I love this story.

---

In the latest episode of The Walking Dead I was reminded of a very annoying trope in movies and TV shows: The rear end in a top hat.

You know, when the writers didn't really feel like making a character that wasn't basically a one-sided caricature, and just made someone who was completely obnoxious from the get-go, so as to make his imminent death not only tolerable, but actually welcomed. This was pretty common in coming-of-age movies in the 80s and 90s (don't know about the new ones, since I'm past my coming-of-age period anyway) where "the girl" is dating an rear end in a top hat who seems to have no redeeming qualities. I'm actually pretty sure that the idea of "the nice guy" comes straight from this movie trope, and not so much from real-world experience.

I mean, I don't expect gigantic complexity in characters of a TV show where pretty much everyone except the main character is disposable but, come on, at least make them a little bit two-dimensional.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Hercules.

They make a big show when fitting out the army about how the leather armour is indestructable, to the point where Thydeus swings his axe into it and nothing happens.

Then its revealed the army will be used by Coytus for evil and so Hercules and his buddies go about putting an end to them.

Thydeus gets hit by an arrow and then charges a small group of this army all wearing said indestructable armour, but now his axes seem to carve through them like a hot knife through butter.

Yeah the film is poo poo but inconsistencies within its own mythos are jarring drat it.

At least it has awesome ending credits.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Light Gun Man posted:

So what you're saying is that Godzilla in this instance is a 70-story-tall huntsman spider?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Memento posted:

So what you're saying is that Godzilla in this instance is a 70-story-tall huntsman spider?

No you are thinking of Kumonga

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Plus, in Gozilla 2014, the first time army guys encounter him they open fire with conventional rifles but quickly stop when they realize it does nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WujxSM2NmTg (4m12s)

They launch missiles at him later in the film but it just seems to piss him off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dpack_1 posted:

Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson's Hercules.

They make a big show when fitting out the army about how the leather armour is indestructable, to the point where Thydeus swings his axe into it and nothing happens.

Then its revealed the army will be used by Coytus for evil and so Hercules and his buddies go about putting an end to them.

Thydeus gets hit by an arrow and then charges a small group of this army all wearing said indestructable armour, but now his axes seem to carve through them like a hot knife through butter.

Yeah the film is poo poo but inconsistencies within its own mythos are jarring drat it.

At least it has awesome ending credits.

That movie was so awful.

They also pulled the "The guys you thought were super super evil are actually just defending themselves and you've been helping the evil tyrant all along, who was doing a good job of pretending to be a nice guy but he suddenly does a massive heel-turn" trope which is pretty stupid.

I mean if this movie is any indication Hercules is just a mass murderer mercenary. He just shows up and says "you gonna pay me? A'ight you're the good guys" and then he generally kills everybody else so fast he can't find out if he's wrong.

I also at first liked the idea of Hercules intentionally building up and bullshitting his own mythos, but then they get really sloppy with his allies. Its like "oh no, Hercules is in danger---wait his friends just happened to teleport in out of nowhere at exactly the right moment..... but wait now they're gone again and he's in danger!"

I can't remember the movie that well because I tried to repress the memory, but I also seem to remember the movie having some extremely contrived flashbacks.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
It had The Rock flipping a horse over.

How the gently caress did you watch that movie and attempt to take it seriously? It was aimed at like, 10 year olds.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just watched Captain America: Winter Soldier last night and there's a scene in it where Cap tosses his shield from a heli-carrier thousands of feet up. How'd he get the loving shield back?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Zaphod42 posted:

I also at first liked the idea of Hercules intentionally building up and bullshitting his own mythos, but then they get really sloppy with his allies. Its like "oh no, Hercules is in danger---wait his friends just happened to teleport in out of nowhere at exactly the right moment..... but wait now they're gone again and he's in danger!"

I just want a cool movie about Greek/Roman myths. I don't like that studios seem to think that playing with the unreliable narrator aspect the myths is cool.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Watch Clash/Wrath of the Titans, that should get rid of the urge for you because it's the best you're gonna get from Hollywood.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Let's pretend Wrath never happened. That entire movie is an irrationally irritating moment.

KoB
May 1, 2009
My Irrational Irritation with the new Godzilla is how the monsters just ram into every single building in their path.

Animals dont do that. They dont just ram into poo poo in their way, they go around it. Like in that Mythbuster's bit with the Bull and the china shop, the bulls knocked over like 1 dish after they really spooked them.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

KoB posted:

My Irrational Irritation with the new Godzilla is how the monsters just ram into every single building in their path.

Animals dont do that. They dont just ram into poo poo in their way, they go around it. Like in that Mythbuster's bit with the Bull and the china shop, the bulls knocked over like 1 dish after they really spooked them.
Godzillas are nature's hooligan though.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

KoB posted:

Perhaps Godzillas are burrowing creatures.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I just watched Captain America: Winter Soldier last night and there's a scene in it where Cap tosses his shield from a heli-carrier thousands of feet up. How'd he get the loving shield back?

In some comics Cap has a Tony Stark/Reed Richards made device that lets it boomerang back to him, and for a time in the 90s used a "hard light hologram" version that could disappear and rematerialize on his arm, but since neither of those are in the movies the answer is "A wizard did it."

Seriously though it's one of Cap's unspoken powers that he'll get his shield back in almost any circumstance, the same way Tony Stark hasn't destroyed his joints from harsh landings in the Iron Man suit, Bruce Banner magically has mass added to his body when he becomes the Hulk, and Thor can somehow fly by throwing his hammer and holding onto the handle.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Non Serviam posted:

Please tell me you have a source for this, because I love this story.

The dvd commentary.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

mind the walrus posted:

In some comics Cap has a Tony Stark/Reed Richards made device that lets it boomerang back to him, and for a time in the 90s used a "hard light hologram" version that could disappear and rematerialize on his arm, but since neither of those are in the movies the answer is "A wizard did it."

Seriously though it's one of Cap's unspoken powers that he'll get his shield back in almost any circumstance, the same way Tony Stark hasn't destroyed his joints from harsh landings in the Iron Man suit, Bruce Banner magically has mass added to his body when he becomes the Hulk, and Thor can somehow fly by throwing his hammer and holding onto the handle.

Meh. It took me out of the movie.

None of what you describe is alluded to in the film in the slightest. Steve just flung that fucker into what appeared to be an ocean beneath the heli-carrier and a few scenes later he has it back when it should be at the bottom of the sea. Even if it wasn't an ocean they were over and it was a city or something, that fucker would have killed someone if it had landed on them. If it landed in a vacant lot or some poo poo, some homeless person would have grabbed it and tried to recycle it. If it landed in the street it would have been on E-Bay inside a half hour.

Actually, that would have been a neat scene. Hobo finds the shield and tries to sell it for scrap to some old guy working in a recycling plant who recognizes it from WW2 days and gives it back. Or some teenager finds it and puts it up for sale online only for Steve to buy it back. Might have made a cool closing scene.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BiggerBoat posted:

Actually, that would have been a neat scene. Hobo finds the shield and tries to sell it for scrap to some old guy working in a recycling plant who recognizes it from WW2 days and gives it back. Or some teenager finds it and puts it up for sale online only for Steve to buy it back. Might have made a cool closing scene.

Haha, the kid trying to sell it to him could even say "Its signed!" with a fake signature on it, and Cappy could give him a knowing look. :rolleyes:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

KoB posted:

Clearly, you never owned a cat.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well I mean, with Godzilla specifically, he doesn't really... have any way to get to where he's going without trampling on everything. I mean yeah shoulder tackling every building tall or short is a bit much but Godzilla is a giant crazy-rear end lizard t-rex monster with equally giant stompy-rear end feet. At least Mothra can fly.

That's why, as someone has already mentioned, the future of Godzilla movies presents parts of the world as Godzilla danger zones that routinely get wrecked whenever he turns up; even if Godzilla himself isn't strictly a bad guy in the future Godzilla media, he still basically has no choice but to walk over everything. v:v:v

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

I recall CinemaSins pointing out that in the first attack they only lost like 7,000 people. I don't like that guy's channel much because even childhood spergs eventually tire of pedantics unless they're funny, but he made a good point-- if a kaiju like that destroyed about 2 major cities and you only lost 7,000 people then you're incredibly lucky. I mean for gently caress's sake 9/11 claimed around 5,000 and that was just a few city blocks, the Pentagon, and a third plane.
The movie says tens of thousands pretty specifically, no idea where that guy got 7,000 from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXaaAqQK8Lg

It's about a minute in.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

In watching movies lately it really hit me how extremely over-the-top most Foley sounds are. I get that its a cue for the audience to make sure they don't miss things, and clearly you can ignore it and watch movies unaware because I didn't notice it so much in the past, but its one of those things that once you start looking for it, its everywhere, and it drives you crazy.

Things like lips smacking or a piece of paper sliding along a desk, if the camera was right up in the action then I could understand it, but from across the room? With people talking? You wouldn't hear a thing. But its super loving loud.

Especially since half of those Foley sounds aren't even accurate to what's happening; the sounds that a knight in armor makes are a bunch of heavy steel chains rustling, not moving armor plates. Swords always make a loud "SSSSHING" when drawn from a scabbard, always. You couldn't do that in real life if you tried all day. It just doesn't make that noise, unless you're rubbing a tuning fork across your blade edge or something. People getting punched are really wads of celery being broken; people don't sound like that.

This goes back to some of the things we were saying with Guns, how nobody counts bullets and guns are louder IRL than in movies. Its a cliche, but people ALWAYS cock their guns when its the most dramatic thing to do; even if it would be dangerous to cock at the time, and even if they've already cocked or fired the gun. :doh: Oh and all guns sound like raking shotguns when they're cocked.

It just drives me crazy now because I can't un-hear it :smith:

This also builds on the stock sounds annoyance we were talking about awhile ago. I hear stock Foley sounds and its just too much. Just watched a movie where somebody was pouring a glass of champagne, and it made the classic stock "filling up a beer mug" sound effect from everything, even though filling a champagne flute from a bottle wouldn't sound anything like beer from a tap. Ugh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Chances are there are at least two of them. There was part of one in Stark's lab in Iron Man 2 while Cap's was in the ice. He picked up a spare and they retrieved the other one later.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BiggerBoat posted:

None of what you describe is alluded to in the film in the slightest. Steve just flung that fucker into what appeared to be an ocean beneath the heli-carrier and a few scenes later he has it back when it should be at the bottom of the sea. Even if it wasn't an ocean they were over and it was a city or something, that fucker would have killed someone if it had landed on them. If it landed in a vacant lot or some poo poo, some homeless person would have grabbed it and tried to recycle it. If it landed in the street it would have been on E-Bay inside a half hour.

I'm pretty sure most of that movie takes place in Washington DC, which would mean the body of water it fell into was probably the Potomac river or Chesapeake Bay. Wiki says the deepest that goes is about 174 feet. So not quite ocean depths

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Mar 3, 2015

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sobatchja Morda posted:

They knock things over, but they dont just aimlessly walk straight through stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KoB posted:

They knock things over, but they dont just aimlessly walk straight through stuff.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I thought they might've found it trying to rescue/clear out the bodies from the river after the earthbound spaceship fell.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I can't help but notice whenever that same stock door-opening effect is used in Breaking Bad.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Zaphod42 posted:

In watching movies lately it really hit me how extremely over-the-top most Foley sounds are. I get that its a cue for the audience to make sure they don't miss things, and clearly you can ignore it and watch movies unaware because I didn't notice it so much in the past, but its one of those things that once you start looking for it, its everywhere, and it drives you crazy.

Things like lips smacking or a piece of paper sliding along a desk, if the camera was right up in the action then I could understand it, but from across the room? With people talking? You wouldn't hear a thing. But its super loving loud.

Especially since half of those Foley sounds aren't even accurate to what's happening; the sounds that a knight in armor makes are a bunch of heavy steel chains rustling, not moving armor plates. Swords always make a loud "SSSSHING" when drawn from a scabbard, always. You couldn't do that in real life if you tried all day. It just doesn't make that noise, unless you're rubbing a tuning fork across your blade edge or something. People getting punched are really wads of celery being broken; people don't sound like that.

This goes back to some of the things we were saying with Guns, how nobody counts bullets and guns are louder IRL than in movies. Its a cliche, but people ALWAYS cock their guns when its the most dramatic thing to do; even if it would be dangerous to cock at the time, and even if they've already cocked or fired the gun. :doh: Oh and all guns sound like raking shotguns when they're cocked.

This also builds on the stock sounds annoyance we were talking about awhile ago. I hear stock Foley sounds and its just too much. Just watched a movie where somebody was pouring a glass of champagne, and it made the classic stock "filling up a beer mug" sound effect from everything, even though filling a champagne flute from a bottle wouldn't sound anything like beer from a tap. Ugh.

One of the worst examples of this I can think of is in the recent The Thing prequel. At one point, somebody is looking through a microscope, the shot switches to what they see, and there's sound effects for the cells or whatever moving around.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
We had ferrets for awhile and noticed that ferrets in movies make a sound no actual ferret could or would ever make. First off, ferrets are usually utterly noiseless. They're the sneakiest creatures on earth. Even when they do get excited and wound up they make a "dooking" sound that's very distinct. In movies they constantly chatter like monkeys it's weird.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

I watched the movie Mulberry Street with a buddy of mine the other night, and it reminded me of a few things that really irk me about zombie fiction. There's this weird idea that when a person is a zombie or gets infected with the virus du jour, they become super strong and relentless in the pursuit of their prey. In this movie in particular, the infected people become weird rat/human hybrids, who suddenly become capable of ripping through walls and doors (except for when the protagonists need to lock their infected buddy in a closet with a massive frosted glass window) and react with little more than slight annoyance at being assaulted with baseball bats, cast-iron skillets, and moving vehicles. I'm no zoologist, but one would think that if a rat suddenly got hit with severe blunt force trauma when trying to grab its next meal, it would run away or something. In the case of zombies I guess I understand the lack of reaction, but for "infected" totally-not-zombies it just seems to be this weird cultural artifact that comes with the genre.

Also, the real monster is man is cool and all, and can be the source of some compelling stuff, but The Walking Dead has absolutely run the theme into the ground.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Zaphod42 posted:

There's an entire thread for just the gun thing over in TFR. There's a lot of good stuff in there, but be warned if ye badmouth Michael Mann there'll be no saving you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

While I agree with most of what you're saying here, it did also give us the pump action shovel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
Protests in movies - it completely pulls me out of the movie when every single protester clearly used the same bunch of materials to make their protest signs. At least change up the sizes or colors of the posters or something, use different colored markers, anything. The worst is when every poster has the same handwriting too. I know these scenes are usually short and unimportant but it can't be that hard to mix it up a little.