Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
How about a crazy thought, Israel agrees to hand over their nukes to the US for safe keeping if Iran suspends their nuclear program?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Israel still doesn't even admit they have nukes right? Doubt they would let their ~theoretical~ nukes be controlled by anyone else.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Three Olives posted:

How about a crazy thought, Israel agrees to hand over their nukes to the US for safe keeping if Iran suspends their nuclear program?

That's so implausible that you may as well propose us mining the moon for cheese supplies.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Three Olives posted:

Here's the thing, Israel has no nukes.

They're on loan from South Africa, you see. Technically, you'd need the South Africans to find the paperwork first, and we all know how stringent south africa is with paperwork as of late.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Disinterested posted:

That's so implausible that you may as well propose us mining the moon for cheese supplies.

We could mine the moon for nukes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
In other news:

Boehner is allowing a clean DHS vote today. :munch:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Boehner will allow a vote on a clean DHS funding bill later today, surprising no one.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah, that was the likely course of events all along. Grandstand and show off to your base and constituents, wank each other off a bit, then fold and do what you know actually needs to be done to keep the country barely ticking along because edging with disaster is the only way you retain any power at all.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “There is no such deal and there’s no such bill. On Friday, there was a bill on the House floor to pass a clean funding bill. And we rejected that because we said we’re fighting the president on what he’s doing illegally on immigration.” ~ House Majority Whip Steve Scalise, on the clean DHS funding bill that will pass the House this week, perhaps today.

Fried Chicken posted:

Boehner will allow a vote on a clean DHS funding bill later today, surprising no one.

:laffo:

So is Scalise just tossing red meat to the base here, or what? He seems to be doing pretty miserably so far in his promise to deliver hard-right votes for the leadership.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

*reporter voice* Does Clinton's alleged "exclusive use of her personal email to conduct business as US secretary of state" harm her chances for 2016?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Franco Potente posted:

:laffo:

So is Scalise just tossing red meat to the base here, or what? He seems to be doing pretty miserably so far in his promise to deliver hard-right votes for the leadership.

GOP Congressmen have a thing like a fitbit but instead of recording steps it counts how many times they say "lawless Obama" every day, and there's a chart in the cloakroom that keeps track.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Boot and Rally posted:

It looks like it is a post on ft alphaville: http://ftalphaville.ft.com/tag/bitcoinmania/. I got the link through Brad DeLong.

Huh, I heard about it from a friend who posted it was a journal article. Jeff lied, posts died. Thanks for the correction.

RevKrule posted:

Hillary used private email to conduct state business

While I'm sure this'll have traction in one sector of the public, with Bibi's speech today, not sure if this has legs in the news cycle.

Yeah, it is bullshit that she did this and maybe illegal, but every post watergate politician does it. They have to record and preserve official correspondence so they do their work through unofficial channels so there is less of a record. Palin had her yahoo account hacked because it was one of many she was doing business out of, Jeb Bush's email dump the other week was from his Jeb.org account because he ran some governor business out of there, and there have been so many other that have come out like that the past few years I've lost count.

This story has been ready to roll for years though in preparation for when the Clinton campaign for going. Begs the question who benefits from it coming out now.

For my part it doesn't do much more than reinforce what I didn't like about the Clintons already, but I still hate the GOP more.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grouchio posted:

*reporter voice* Does Clinton's alleged "exclusive use of her personal email to conduct business as US secretary of state" harm her chances for 2016?

*Obama voice* No.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

For my part it doesn't do much more than reinforce what I didn't like about the Clintons already, but I still hate the GOP more.

Colin Powell did the same thing, the practice was routine and even more egregious in the W administration, it's a non-story, at most she will probably have to turn over all email from her private account for a third party to sift through at her expense.

I think the only interesting point is, apparently no one ever told her to stop it, they never even bothered to use a state department email account at all. Which is to say, I honestly believe no one told her to stop which is an interesting peek into the Clintons and how Hillary would act in office, I don't think they hear no very often and would her administration be willing to use the word with her.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DemeaninDemon posted:

I got a better idea. There only gets to be one nuke and we all take turns owning it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This Hillary thing is just a controlled mine detonation on her part, was the best way I saw it described. Just getting it out of the way.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Here's the thing, Israel has no nukes.

They

Oh! You just admitted the nukes exist, you're out of the club.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Martin O'Malley will not be running for Mikulski's seat next year.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
So will the frothing pits of Hillary haters run out of material before the primary starts? Imagine only the base even cares right now.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

In some circles in the state, it's considered a certainty that he's running for pres in 2016

source: livin in the state

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Despite dripping with "both parties are equally bad" and coming across as a chicken little, this article was a better read than I thought. In the last couple of years, I feel we've really just been lucky that we haven't been hit in the face with a truly destabilizing political event that we couldn't side-step around. For instance, I have to wonder how a theoretical repeat of the 2000 election would go down if the republican candidate won the popular vote and lost the electoral college to Hillary in 2016. I cannot imagine the level of incoherent rage that we would see.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DemeaninDemon posted:

So will the frothing pits of Hillary haters run out of material before the primary starts? Imagine only the base even cares right now.

What is Hillary hiding? Did she murder Benghazi like she murdered Vince Foster?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"clintonemail.com" really? Remember we're talking about like 2009. Can America afford such technologically and stylistically inelegant bumbling? it can and will

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Yeah, that was the likely course of events all along. Grandstand and show off to your base and constituents, wank each other off a bit, then fold and do what you know actually needs to be done to keep the country barely ticking along because edging with disaster is the only way you retain any power at all.

We won a landslide election after the last shutdown *shrugs*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What time do the fireworks start?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

20 minutes.

Edit, you will apparently be able to watch it live here: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/watch-live-israeli-prime-minister-benjamin-netanyahus-address-congress/

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

haveblue posted:

Any day now.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

:golfclap:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Huh, I heard about it from a friend who posted it was a journal article. Jeff lied, posts died. Thanks for the correction.

Yeah, it is bullshit that she did this and maybe illegal, but every post watergate politician does it. They have to record and preserve official correspondence so they do their work through unofficial channels so there is less of a record. Palin had her yahoo account hacked because it was one of many she was doing business out of, Jeb Bush's email dump the other week was from his Jeb.org account because he ran some governor business out of there, and there have been so many other that have come out like that the past few years I've lost count.

This story has been ready to roll for years though in preparation for when the Clinton campaign for going. Begs the question who benefits from it coming out now.

iirc Sarah Palin had her email account 'hacked" because her security question was something like "where are you from" and a 4chan poster guessed "Wasilla"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So is this gonna be the Bibi TVIV GDT thread?

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
There's not a separate thread for the speech, is there? Are we just doing the live post stuff in here? I'm pretty stoked to see how this thing blows up.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
There is also the I/P thread, but not sure if it fits any better there since this is a US speech.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

This is way more of a USPol thing than an I/P thing.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
PBS feed is live.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is going to be terrible, isn't it?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everything is terrible.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I am agreeing with Republican rhetoric on foreign policy. Shame the Democrats are so weak on terror with semi-decent domestic policy.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Imagine more than half of congress collectively blowing one of the biggest douches in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I hope he can top his giant cartoon bomb.

• Locked thread