Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Edward Snowden has apparently realized Putin's Russia isn't the free market paradise he hoped for and has announced he is "ready to return to the States" and stand trial, provided it is a "legal and impartial trial" - as in, not tried under the Espionage Act or in any of the secret courts that have sprung up in the last 15 years.

So far the US position is they won't seek the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

My Imaginary GF posted:

Don't have to paint it as anti-semetic, it is anti-semetic. You use old, rich, and racist as descriptors for jews and go on to say they're kingmakers. If you don't see how this fits into anti-semitic rhetoric of jewish bankers influencing policy to get their way and controlling the media, there is nothing to discuss with you. You don't belong in any position of authority in America, and fortunately, your ilk are not represented in serious policy circles.

Youre still projecting too much but you've got the loop near down pat.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Venom Snake posted:

wow do you call people who say Ben Carson is a shithead racist to?

They don't say 'noted black shithead, Ben Carson', they say 'noted shithead, Ben Carson.' His skin color is not pertinant to his being a shithead.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Edward Snowden has apparently realized Putin's Russia isn't the free market paradise he hoped for and has announced he is "ready to return to the States" and stand trial, provided it is a "legal and impartial trial" - as in, not tried under the Espionage Act or in any of the secret courts that have sprung up in the last 15 years.

I can't believe Snowden went over there thinking that's what it was gonna be like.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

What does anyone other than Petraeus gain from that deal? No jail time and a reduced fine - seems like giving away government secrets is pretty consequence free. Oh, wait...

Fried Chicken posted:

Nonsense posted:

Because the Black Caucus is filled with "stupid clucks" all elected by stupid clucks in their black hell hole districts, also it is not racist to hope they are hanged for OUR PRIME MINISTER TO SEE!!! - a literal crazy woman allowed on radio
Slightly longer version from earlier - unless that was a C-Span caller, in which case there's more than one!

richardfun posted:

quote:

She noted that most of the congressmen missing the speech are members of the Congressional Black Caucus. King said that members of Congress, unlike President Obama, will eventually be up for reelection and "could pay with their jobs." However, in audio posted by Right Wing Watch, King said she hoped their punishment would go one step further.

"I would like to think that these guys could pay with their lives, hanging from a noose in front of the U.S. Capitol building," King said in the audio clip. "Most of those members who are opting out of attending the speech are members of the Congressional Black Caucus. And their districts are all dumb clucks. Because the dumb clucks wouldn't be electing these people if they knew better."
Conservative radio host Andrea Shea King:

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

He's better off in Russia

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
noted dumbass and dowsing rod for terrible investments Sheldon Adelson

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Rexicon1 posted:

you're the best at what you do mate, cheers

Seriously, having him on ignore is juuuust right, because I don't see all of his poo poo, just a little here and there where people quote him, and then it reminds me that I made the right decision.

Israel done hosed up by conflating the idea of antisemitism and the idea of Zionism. They did it themselves, with the help of their American toadies. If I can't criticize the actions of a genocidal, nuclear-armed, and aggressive state for their political actions without being called an antisemite, then they've literally tied their culture, religion, and ethnicity to objectively horrible policies. Nobody should ever want to do that.

Sheldon Adelson is a Zionist. I oppose Zionism based upon the actions Israel has committed in the name of Zionism.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

My Imaginary GF posted:

They don't say 'noted black shithead, Ben Carson', they say 'noted shithead, Ben Carson.' His skin color is not pertinant to his being a shithead.
Yeah but his skin color is pertinent to his political relevance so actually...

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

gently caress Sheldon Adelson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oSAPMYTuss

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

I can't believe Snowden went over there thinking that's what it was gonna be like.

I get the impression he had an idea of what it was like, but didn't expect the wars, assassinations, and economic crunch that have come to pass since. The view I ascribed to him s one I've seen pitched by similar libertarians though.

Not that he was overwhelmed for choices of where to run

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Trabisnikof posted:

There's a reason you don't get in a fight the ADL. And that reason isn't their logical arguments.

Is that what they do? Huh things are starting to make a tad more sense.

Fried Chicken posted:

Are you being facetious or something or do you have a source? Pretty sure his destination wasn't Russia.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

I get the impression he had an idea of what it was like, but didn't expect the wars, assassinations, and economic crunch that have come to pass since. The view I ascribed to him s one I've seen pitched by similar libertarians though.

Wait, assassinations??

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I guess Russia is even worse than I thought if some dude is willing to risk what the US does to government whistle blowers..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

So much irony.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rexicon1 posted:

Wait, assassinations??

An opposition leader recently tripped and fell on a bullet near the Kremlin.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Don't have to paint it as anti-semetic, it is anti-semetic. You use old, rich, and racist as descriptors for jews and go on to say they're kingmakers. If you don't see how this fits into anti-semitic rhetoric of jewish bankers influencing policy to get their way and controlling the media, there is nothing to discuss with you. You don't belong in any position of authority in America, and fortunately, your ilk are not represented in serious policy circles.

AIPAC exists and is a massively influential lobbying arm of rich American Jewish folks for Pro-Israeli foreign policy. Refusing to pretend it doesn't exist does not make someone "Anti-Semetic".

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Source for Fried Chicken's info.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Zeitgueist posted:

An opposition leader recently tripped and fell on a bullet near the Kremlin.

Accidents happen every day. What makes you think it was assassination?

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
It"s not anti-semitism if you only hate the rich and powerful Jews.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

If Snowden thinks that he can live in the US as a free man without doing 40 years in a federal prison first, then he's not living in the same reality as the rest of us.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Meg From Family Guy posted:

i have a jewish friend!

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

can't we just say "gently caress the american Zionist lobby"

don't matter whether they're joows or evangelicals who need muslims to be wiped from the earth so that the Temple can be rebuilt, ushering in the End Times. Or what

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are you being facetious or something or do you have a source? Pretty sure his destination wasn't Russia.

What are you talking about, he's been in Russia for years. Are you thinking of Assange maybe?

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/edward-snowden-wants-to-return-us-115697.html

Rexicon1 posted:

Wait, assassinations??

Boris Nemtsov getting rubbed out on Friday?

Gravel Gravy posted:

Accidents happen every day. What makes you think it was assassination?

He was an opposition leader critical of Putin, the security cameras were all turned off for "maintenance" when it happened, it happened a stones throw away from the Kremlin, his apartment was ransacked immediately after it went down...

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
I'm glad that Snowden is returning to face the music. What he did is illegal. I hope he's tried and sentenced. And then, I hope Obama pardons him. I won't hold my breath on the last bit.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Fried Chicken posted:

Especially since he was on his way to another country when the USA canceled his passport.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zeitgueist posted:

I guess Russia is even worse than I thought if some dude is willing to risk what the US does to government whistle blowers..

Giving laptops full of classified data to Glenn Greenwald isn't whistle blowing though

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zeroisanumber posted:

If Snowden thinks that he can live in the US as a free man without doing 40 years in a federal prison first, then he's not living in the same reality as the rest of us.

Petraeus just pled guilty to sharing classified information, wonder how much jail time he'll get.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Meg From Family Guy posted:

It's not about them being rich and powerful, its about them using that wealth and influence to support an colonialist apartheid regime.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Boris Nemtsov getting rubbed out on Friday?

He was an opposition leader critical of Putin, the security cameras were all turned off for "maintenance" when it happened, it happened a stones throw away from the Kremlin, his apartment was ransacked immediately after it went down...

Holy gently caress how did I miss this.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Talmonis posted:

I'm glad that Snowden is returning to face the music. What he did is illegal. I hope he's tried and sentenced. And then, I hope Obama pardons him. I won't hold my breath on the last bit.

The Dem leadership's stances on whistleblowers is the biggest elephant in the liberal room and nobody talks about it so long as you throw enough money at poor people.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fried Chicken posted:

What are you talking about, he's been in Russia for years. Are you thinking of Assange maybe?

His original goal was to get to an Latin American state with less a history of compliance with US extradition requests. Since there were so many hurtles in between him and a direct route their he opted for the around the world package. While in an airport near Moscow his passport was revoked and he was stranded for a month until Russia granted him asylum. He didn't arrive there because of some perceived Russian virtue, it was just a matter of convenience.

Fried Chicken posted:

Thought we were referencing Hot Fuzz.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

PupsOfWar posted:

can't we just say "gently caress the american Zionist lobby"

don't matter whether they're joows or evangelicals who need muslims to be wiped from the earth so that the Temple can be rebuilt, ushering in the End Times. Or what

How about gently caress rich Republican donors? Or just gently caress the obscenely rich?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rygar201 posted:

Giving laptops full of classified data to Glenn Greenwald isn't whistle blowing though

sure it is, but it is also treason, that's how we treat whistleblowers

either way dude is going to American Jail for a long time, and that's not a good place to be

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Amergin posted:

The Dem leadership's stances on whistleblowers is the biggest elephant in the liberal room and nobody talks about it so long as you throw enough money at poor people.

Its too late to help someone in poverty by the time they're in poverty, Amergin. Far better to throw money at the middle class.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its too late to help someone in poverty by the time they're in poverty, Amergin. Far better to throw money at the middle class.

The middle class doesn't spend their money any wiser. The only difference between the middle class and lower class is the middle sits at a desk and lives in the burbs while the lower stands at the drive-through window and lives in a trailer park or ghetto apartment.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

Petraeus just pled guilty to sharing classified information, wonder how much jail time he'll get.

None. But he also wasn't charged under the Espionage Act, and his real punishment is being barred from the high halls of power.

Amergin posted:

The middle class doesn't spend their money any wiser. The only difference between the middle class and lower class is the middle sits at a desk and lives in the burbs while the lower stands at the drive-through window and lives in a trailer park or ghetto apartment.

I wouldn't say that that's true. Middle class investments tend to be smaller-scale, but they definitely sock away more money than people living hand to mouth while working at McD's.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

Amergin posted:

And yet, here we are. Talking about it. Which we do consistantly, right here in these monthly threads. Regardless of Zeitgeist's eye rolling hyperbole, he's drat lucky he wasn't Russian. He'd be dead by now, like anyone who criticizes Putin and makes too much noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

How was giving a speech in front of congress?

• Locked thread