Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rygar201 posted:

Giving laptops full of classified data to Glenn Greenwald isn't whistle blowing though

But giving laptops full of classified data to your mistress is only worth probation and a fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Zeitgueist posted:

sure it is, but it is also treason, that's how we treat whistleblowers

either way dude is going to American Jail for a long time, and that's not a good place to be

What? We have the world's most profitable jails, they must be doing something right!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Talmonis posted:

And yet, here we are. Talking about it. Which we do consistantly, right here in these monthly threads. Regardless of Zeitgeist's eye rolling hyperbole, he's drat lucky he wasn't Russian. He'd be dead by now, like anyone who criticizes Putin and makes too much noise.

The "Don't criticize. It is worse in other countries" argument.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If Snowden isn't an idiot that honestly thought Russia was freer than the US this is just trying to get some more attention for whatever reason.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Deadulus posted:

The "Don't criticize. It is worse in other countries" argument.

We are criticizing. But It's rediculous to say things like "He'd be better off in Russia". Because that's bullshit.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

But giving laptops full of classified data to your mistress is only worth probation and a fine.

Trading classified info for sex is a longstanding Washington tradition. Trading classified info for personal publicity is treason.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would rather live in Russia than live in American prison.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

It was worse than laptops, really. Petraeus provided his mistress with access to his handwritten notes that he took while in high-level meetings with the president and other senior officials. They contained things like DoD code words, the identities of secret agents, real crown jewels sorts of stuff.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

If Snowden isn't an idiot that honestly thought Russia was freer than the US this is just trying to get some more attention for whatever reason.

Actually he was on his way to Cuba then Ecuador when they cancelled his passport. The State department then pressured half of Europe to deny Evo Morales' plane permission to fly over their airspace when they thought Snowden was on his plane and searched it despite a sitting head of state being on board. At the time it was Russia or Leavenworth. Now it's Russia without food or Leavenworth.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

zoux posted:

Do you really think they're going to send him to a Supermax? It'd make more sense for him to be sent to a minimum security Federal prison.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

It was worse than laptops, really. Petraeus provided his mistress with access to his handwritten notes that he took while in high-level meetings with the president and other senior officials. They contained things like DoD code words, the identities of secret agents, real crown jewels sorts of stuff.

And yet the Obama admin has gotten people that leaked far, far less in prison for decades.

Talmonis posted:

Do you really think they're going to send him to a Supermax? It'd make more sense for him to be sent to a minimum security Federal prison.

National security related = ADX Florence.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

hobbesmaster posted:

Let's be fair, he didn't give them to his mistress, he gave them to a reporter to get her to be his mistress. Like chocolates or flowers, but for spies and journalists. After that there were no laptops, it was just pillow talk

hobbesmaster posted:

There is a movie about him being made and he will be speaking (remotely) at SXSW in a few weeks, I think he is set for attention. I expect it is he wants to get the hell out of dodge before Putin really screws him over.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Talmonis posted:

We are criticizing. But It's rediculous to say things like "He'd be better off in Russia". Because that's bullshit.

I think you misunderstand. As an American whistle-blower, he's better off in Russia. Even if only so Putin can be smug about it.

Though somehow I doubt that's where he wants to be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Talmonis posted:

Is your only exposure to Russia the gbs russia.jpg thread or something.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Zeitgueist posted:

sure it is, but it is also treason, that's how we treat whistleblowers

either way dude is going to American Jail for a long time, and that's not a good place to be

Whistle blowing is a defined thing though, you can just leak classified information to journalists and declare yourself a whistle blower, like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Aurubin posted:

Actually he was on his way to Cuba then Ecuador when they cancelled his passport. The State department then pressured half of Europe to deny Evo Morales' plane permission to fly over their airspace when they thought Snowden was on his plane and searched it despite a sitting head of state being on board. At the time it was Russia or Leavenworth. Now it's Russia without food or Leavenworth.

:spergin: ADX Florence. Leavenworth is for military gently caress-ups. :spergin:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Talmonis posted:

Do you really think they're going to send him to a Supermax?

Absolutely.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

if we are spitballing here, what about risking public support for a trial by jury vs getting handed over to any particular branch of the US enforcement as an overture to America?

Talmonis posted:

Our minimum security Federal prisons are nightmares so that isn't much comfort.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
As far as I'm concerned Snowdens little claim to morality and righteousness ran out the minute he decided to shill for Putin on Russian TV.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rexicon1 posted:

I can't believe Snowden went over there thinking that's what it was gonna be like.

Well he also thought Hong Kong was a libertarian paradise of free speech, so he wasn't exactly geopolitically aware in general.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most libertarians are idiots. As are the people who found his "leaks" to be news, more at 11.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Rygar201 posted:

Whistle blowing is a defined thing though, you can just leak classified information to journalists and declare yourself a whistle blower, like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy.

Whistle-blowing is rigidly defined to the detriment of the whistle blower, you say?

:allears:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Politico posted:

Rush Limbaugh said Monday that President Obama has been treating Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu like “a white policeman from Ferguson, Missouri.”

“Obama and his buddies have been trying to essentially poison the jury pool” against the Israeli leader, Limbaugh told listeners, “like they did in Ferguson,” referring to recent reports that the Justice Department is considering bringing charges against the Ferguson Police Department.

“You look at how Obama has treated and does treat Netanyahu, you would think that Netanyahu was a white policeman from Ferguson, Missouri. … Or that he was one of the cops that choked Eric Garner or he was one of the jurors in the Trayvon Martin case.”

:allears:

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
Smart chill goon: NSA guy was a retard, politician people are retards, heh.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Rygar201 posted:

"I'M BLOWING THIS WHISTLE" *toot*--Edward Snowden

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone who found any of the NSA leaks in the past decade surprising are retards. Congress passed the patriot act in loving 2001, something you could find the contents of with google. The government....is watching people? Wire tapping? This is sure surprising to me because I have the political memory of a gold fish and still believe in santa!

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012

zoux posted:

Is your only exposure to Russia the gbs russia.jpg thread or something.

Nope, just laughing considering the recent article.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rygar201 posted:

From what I remember Snowden doesn't qualify for "whistleblower" protections because he was working for a private contractor, not directly for the federal government. And "private contractor" exceptions to employee protection laws are bullshit that needs to be abolished across the board.

The proper remedy for Snowden would be a presidential pardon but that will never happen. He's smart to stay foreign and coming back would be a mistake. The only reason he was ever able to tell his side of the story is that he skedaddled.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Venom Snake posted:

Most libertarians are idiots. As are the people who found his "leaks" to be news, more at 11.

It saddens me whenever I hear something described as "exposed only because of Snowden" that I knew about for years. I'm not that well connected, I shouldn't be more informed than the media reporting on national security. Uh, AT&T's secret room, hello?

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Americans are more concerned that the government may have an email of theirs in a database somewhere, while 500,000 people in Iraq died because of entirely falsified evidence. As far as I'm concerned Snowden is just a idiot blinded by self righteousness who bought into the same myth most modern day Russiboo's do of Putin being some great leader for responsibility and capitalism.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Venom Snake posted:

Americans are more concerned that the government may have an email of theirs in a database somewhere, while 500,000 people in Iraq died because of entirely falsified evidence. As far as I'm concerned Snowden is just a idiot blinded by self righteousness who bought into the same myth most modern day Russiboo's do of Putin being some great leader for responsibility and capitalism.

Yeah but those were brown people and America is really racist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

I am concerned about both things, and many others, as well.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

It saddens me whenever I hear something described as "exposed only because of Snowden" that I knew about for years. I'm not that well connected, I shouldn't be more informed than the media reporting on national security. Uh, AT&T's secret room, hello?

No poo poo. I mean, you had Colbert mocking Bush about it at his Correspondents dinner speech. It was in the NYT in 2005. It was the cover of Wired.

But nope, it was Snowden who exposed all this was going on! Not that it was widely acknowledged and just not really discussed.

We got some specifics out of it, like the keywords list and project names and the like, but the core bits people get upset about were well known, just ignored.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Venom Snake posted:

Not trying to quibble but the total is well over a million. It's important to not round down this number.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Venom Snake posted:

You keep saying stuff like this, but if you were Snowden why would you scuttle your pretty much only lifeline in Russia by speaking out against putin? I dont really get where you are coming from

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Trabisnikof posted:

I remember back when Snowden leaked poo poo how many people on this forum swore his leaks wouldn't be forgotten the way say the AT&T room revelation or any of the other spying leaks of the past decades have been forgotten by the general populace. That was good for a laugh.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

I am concerned about both things, and many others, as well.

Yeah because the government having the power to look at a email is the same as falsifying evidence that lead to a war that cost over a trillion dollars and killed thousands of American soldiers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Yeah because the government having the power to look at a email is the same as falsifying evidence that lead to a war that cost over a trillion dollars and killed thousands of American soldiers.

It's not but we also don't have a linear queue of things we need to be worried about in order and can only talk about the top thing on the list. If you think that government espionage against its citizens isn't a concern, you need to have a better argument than "heck, it's not the worst thing they are doing".

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feral Integral posted:

You keep saying stuff like this, but if you were Snowden why would you scuttle your pretty much only lifeline in Russia by speaking out against putin? I dont really get where you are coming from

If I were Snowden I wouldn't have thrown my life away for literally nothing, so there's that. He's an idiot, and if was him right now I would just flee to a banana republican and enjoy the rest of my days on a beach before the CIA inevitably takes me and hooks a car battery up to my sack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

It's not but we also don't have a linear queue of things we need to be worried about in order and can only talk about the top thing on the list. If you think that government espionage against its citizens isn't a concern, you need to have a better argument than "heck, it's not the worst thing they are doing".

The point is less that spying on your own citizens is okay, and more that the NSA isn't really any more evil than the CIA being a thing.

• Locked thread