Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a friend who is looking for a desktop USB DAC/headphone amp/volume knob to use with both headphones and speakers, the specific functionality wanted is that if the headphones are plugged in the line out is muted, although I guess a switch on the box between them would work as well. There's stuff like the Fiio E10k and Audioengine D1 but I can't tell if that functionality to switch between speakers and headphones without dicking around in software is there. Ideas? Budget is as cheap as possible, they don't need a headphone super-amp or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

qirex posted:

I have a friend who is looking for a desktop USB DAC/headphone amp/volume knob to use with both headphones and speakers, the specific functionality wanted is that if the headphones are plugged in the line out is muted, although I guess a switch on the box between them would work as well. There's stuff like the Fiio E10k and Audioengine D1 but I can't tell if that functionality to switch between speakers and headphones without dicking around in software is there. Ideas? Budget is as cheap as possible, they don't need a headphone super-amp or anything.

The D1 works like that. Pricey though. Never used the Fiio myself but I'd be really, really surprised if plugging in headphones didnt mute the line out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

qirex posted:

I think the Schiit Magni/Modi stack do that now- as do the rest of Schiit's headphone amps. The DAC runs to the amp which has a pass-through preamp for connecting to monitors/amps/receivers/etc. which switches when headphones get plugged in/removed. I'd definitely have a look at them. Competitive with FiiO but made in the US and just SO much better looking.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

the nicker posted:

The D1 works like that. Pricey though. Never used the Fiio myself but I'd be really, really surprised if plugging in headphones didnt mute the line out.

I have an E09k, and the line out is active regardless of whether headphones are plugged in or not.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Schiit [:rolleyes:] stack seems like major overkill. Apparently this can do the same thing [albeit not as high quality] http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Stereo-Headphone-Amplifier-SD-DAC63057/dp/B009WN7QT4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If my friend gets this I'll let you know how it turned out.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hey all. I'm building my first PC in the coming weeks and am in the need for speakers. I figure just a simple 2.1 set for my desk as the room my comp will be in is relatively small. I don't want to spend a lot, maybe $50 at most. Am I doomed to lovely sound at this budget? I've been surviving for years with lovely laptop speakers so I'm no audiophile by any means. I'll be playing games, listening to music and watching TV/movies.

I was thinking of getting this Logitech setup.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

For that cheap, I don't think you can go wrong with the Logitech set. It'll be decent enough, just don't expect anything mindblowing, quality-wise :)

As an alternative, you can look through thrift shops etc. for a cheap stereo amplifier and a set of bookshelf speakers. It might be a bit of a stretch to get it below $50, but sometimes luck favors the adventurous. It doesn't matter if the amp is from like the 70s and has wood siding etc., as long as it works. Similarly, as long as the foam/paper surrounds on the speaker drivers are intact and none of the drivers are dead, they'll work great. Amp and speaker technology hasn't changed much for the last couple of decades.

E: vvvv I though of that too, right after submitting my post. It definitely can't hurt to look at used gear.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 10, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

For that cheap, I don't think you can go wrong with the Logitech set. Just don't expect anything mindblowing, quality-wise :)

Honestly, I'd check Craigslist before pulling the trigger on that. If you can stretch your budget a little bit, you can probably find a decent pair of passive speakers for <$50 and an old stereo amp (or cheap Chinese T-amp) for another 25 or so.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 10, 2015

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

KillHour posted:

Honestly, I'd check Craigslist before pulling the trigger on that. If you can stretch your budget a little bit, you can probably find a decent pair of passive speakers for <$50 and an old stereo amp (or cheap Chinese T-amp) for another 25 or so.

Not the same guy, but also looking for speakers on CL. Would something like this be suitable? http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/ele/4916509959.html

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

How dumb of a buy are the Simple Audio Listens at the price that Massdrop has them at?

I'm mainly looking for a pair of speakers for general music/games on my computer, and I hear the Listens are great for that, but it would also be nice to have Bluetooth party speakers for when people come over and I want to put on some music without loving around with more than one wire while moving them. Also, $150 seems like a lot, even if they supposedly retail for ~$500.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Thirst Mutilator posted:

How dumb of a buy are the Simple Audio Listens at the price that Massdrop has them at?

I'm mainly looking for a pair of speakers for general music/games on my computer, and I hear the Listens are great for that, but it would also be nice to have Bluetooth party speakers for when people come over and I want to put on some music without loving around with more than one wire while moving them. Also, $150 seems like a lot, even if they supposedly retail for ~$500.
Well I found this Linus Tech Tips video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muhBuy9rHBg

The first bit is just unboxing and marketing blurb, you can skip to 3:40 to get past that. He mentions liking them more than the A2+ ($200-250ish) cause the extra features, but as for moving them around he says it'd seem inconvenient with all the wires, although I guess if you only move one speaker it shouldn't be too bad. Also mentions not hosting parties with them, but I figure that'll vary with what level you want your music at for that stuff and room size. If they can get as loud as the A2s, that'd be pretty loud personally but ymmv I guess.

tl;dr if they really are comparable to the A2s I think they'd be a good deal for $150

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I currently use a mini amp and two bookshelf speakers for my audio setup, and my problem right now is that if I want to run them at low volume, there's a hissing and it starts to only drive the left speaker. What should I look for in good sound at low volume that isn't headphones?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I currently use a mini amp and two bookshelf speakers for my audio setup, and my problem right now is that if I want to run them at low volume, there's a hissing and it starts to only drive the left speaker. What should I look for in good sound at low volume that isn't headphones?

What amp and speakers?

Fake edit: Have you tried doing curls with your speakers? :haw:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

KillHour posted:

What amp and speakers?

Fake edit: Have you tried doing curls with your speakers? :haw:

Hah

Lepai LP2020A+ mini-amp
Dayton Audio B652 speakers

It also gets routed through a Behringer Xenyx 302USB mixer but I dunno if that is what's doing it. It hits the Xenyx before the mini-amp, but so do my headphones and those work fine.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 17, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

signalnoise posted:

Hah

Lepai LP2020A+ mini-amp
Dayton Audio B652 speakers

It also gets routed through a Behringer Xenyx 302USB mixer but I dunno if that is what's doing it. It hits the Xenyx before the mini-amp, but so do my headphones and those work fine.

It's probably because that amp is a piece of crap. I have the same one in a box somewhere.

http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/home-audio-video/audio-amplifiers/dayton-audio-dta-120-class-t-digital-mini-amplifier-60-wpc.html ?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quote != Edit :downs:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

New amp it is.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Getting fed up with my bluetooth audio controller being dumb. Is there anything bluetooth audio receiver that will work well and have minimal lipsync issues, or at least have some good calibration mechanism?

Quality is fine, but trying to get video to sync up consistently seems an exercise in futility. Source is Linux, if that makes any difference.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I got a pair of JBL 305s about a week ago. The good news is that they are simply incredible monitors for the price. I had M-Audio AV40s before this and it is actually insane how much better these are, and we have $500/per floorstanding speakers in the living room that sound similar or maybe worse, albeit a bit different because they aren't studio monitors. But overall these speakers have changed how I listen to and appreciate music, for better or worse.

The bad news is that the 305s... almost too good? You hear everything in the song. They make poor audio sound terrible. They even make otherwise mainstream, serviceable music sound comparatively bad if it's not produced or recorded well. I feel like I'm becoming a huge snob, and it's interesting what you can pick out of a song that you would never notice. Some songs that I really liked before, I find much less enjoyable on these speakers because I can pick out a bunch of random poo poo in the song that grates on the ears for whatever reason.

It seems like the weirdest first world problem ever but I can't help but keep wondering if I made the wrong choice purchasing these things. I was happy before with what I had.. and sure, I wanted better at the time... but it seems like my musical tastes are getting more narrow, not broader. I'm getting pickier, and surely happier at times (holy poo poo, Peel Me a Grape on these speakers) yet maybe something has been lost in the translation. The worst part is that you can never go back either. gently caress.

I was just curious if anyone had a similar situation crop up and what your thoughts were about it/ if following the yellow brick audio road really made you a happier listener of music/ etc.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Taima posted:

I was just curious if anyone had a similar situation crop up and what your thoughts were about it/ if following the yellow brick audio road really made you a happier listener of music/ etc.

Absolutely. I am noticing clipressed and badly mastered music a lot more on my Adam A5Xs than I ever did on any of my previous speakers. They also make flaws in vinyl more apparent.

On the other hand, good stuff sounds really good. And I can absolutely hear a difference on second hand LPs after cleaning them. Dust and fingerprints really add up.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I ran into something similar. Strangely enough I can still go back to the old music with cheaper equipment. On the other hand I now have a wider appreciation for music than ever before in my life. Before music was just background noise, now I listen actively. The variety of genres also opened up.

Think of it as an opportunity. Have you ever heard how nice a cello can really sound?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hob_Gadling posted:

Think of it as an opportunity. Have you ever heard how nice a cello can really sound?

There's a whole level of texture to string and brass instruments that's just so lovely to hear on a good recording.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

There are more qualities to music than just production quality. Even though studio monitors might now be rubbing your face in that part of it, you can learn to appreciate music again for the quality of the performance, the musicality, the drive, the power, the emotion, the fantastic lyrics, the memories, whatever.

It's also ok for your musical taste to be fluid and to be influenced by factors like this. There's a metric poo poo-ton of music out there, you're in no danger of running out of options.

Which boils down to that there's something between the bliss of ignorance and the turning into a terrible snob. You might be a bit pickier about what's in your favorites playlist and why the hell not. And when the sheen of this new experience wears off you'll also learn that seeing the individual trees doesn't mean you can't possibly see the woods anymore. Essentially focusing (and not focusing) on different aspects of music is a skill. It's daunting now to have your focus drawn into hyper-awareness of one aspect right now and it'll take a bit of time to see that it's basically something under your control if you want it to be. Production quality is but one property of a recording. You can notice and not be alarmed by it because it's not relevant to the context of how you're listening right now, like at a party or whatever.

It's like watching a 3D movie for the first time and you're like wow, holy crap, an extra dimension the whole time. It's not going to be like that forever. At some point you'll be back to following the story, appreciating the acting and stuff like that. It'll be easier when it's all done well and unobtrusively, obviously. But if the movie has great redeeming qualities elsewhere, you're not going to let a bit of lovely 3D distract you too much from it. And if there are no redeeming qualities, it's ok to call it poo poo.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

signalnoise posted:

New amp it is.

New amp solved the problem. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I'm surprised that nobody's touched on the important differences between monitors and hifi/consumer speakers.

While there is a ton of kit out there that can pull double duty and a lot of it also depends on how your EQ is set up, the broadest explanation is that monitors are designed for mastering and consumer gear is designed to be listened to for pleasure.

Adjectives like "neutral," "revealing," "detailed," and "flat" don't necessarily equal "fun to listen to" and the issue you're describing with hearing all of your source audio's imperfections could have something to do with that.

Distortion, coloration, and inaccuracy aren't always the enemy of hi-fi (the vintage audio and tube scenes are proof positive of that).

A lot of monitors are designed to be revealing to a fault- allowing producers and recording engineers to better do their jobs at the mixing table. Many of them have unnaturally boosted levels to let engineers compensate for common ranges with volume spikes/dips. Often, the more critical "final" listening tests are done on hi-fi equipment afterward. And in the case of monitors designed under the Yamaha school of thought, they just sound bad when used to play music for fun. The logic behind them is that "if you can make it sound good coming out of these speakers it'll sound good anywhere."

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And in the case of monitors designed under the Yamaha school of thought, they just sound bad when used to play music for fun. The logic behind them is that "if you can make it sound good coming out of these speakers it'll sound good anywhere."
That's bullshit.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Many of them have unnaturally boosted levels to let engineers compensate for common ranges with volume spikes/dips.
Be more specific, because it's a meaningless sequence of words as it is.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I have found the best solution for bad recordings on good speakers is to turn it down (I imagine treating the room would do the same thing). Once you do that, the flaws are something you listen to and appreciate as part of the recording rather than irritants. Past a certain volume, it seems like flaws in the recordings are amplified many times over by weird room acoustics. It took me a really long time to learn this, because I loving love loud music.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for posting that. I've always wondered about the NS10's and even asked a recording engineer about them (he had something like 3 sets) but had never gotten a very good explanation at all.

On the LSR305's specifically, this dude thought there was some subtle ringing that made them a little harsh at one specific point as well: http://noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's bullshit.
Be more specific, because it's a meaningless sequence of words as it is.

I stand corrected...

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I stand corrected...
I wouldn't have known either if I didn't have this stack of old magazines next to the crapper :v:

Anyway, I understand the forward, bright sound Yamaha tunes some of their monitors to apparently doesn't appeal to everyone, but I really like my msp 5 studios and I really enjoy listening to music on them. I think a lot of people who think the sound is fatiguing just want to play too loud for too long.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Hey speaker goons. Building a computer for my girlfriend on a lowish budget and have ~150 australian dollars left for speakers. Ive had logitech z680 for 10+ years and replaced a $2 fuse once so i am drawn to logitech z series in general.

A 2.1 setup will suit her room and budget.

have i gone wrong deciding Logitech z623 are the way to go?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
What other options are comparable to the LSR305's in the same price range? Or say, up to $500 for a pair? My LSR2325P's bit the dust. The 305 seems like the logical choice since my only complaint about the 2325s was the extremely narrow "sweet spot" for listening, and that's supposedly been fixed in the 305 but god drat they are ugly looking.

A2s and the like are out, want more power.

edit: anyone listened to the Presonus Eris E5's?

ee: gently caress it did some reading and just ordered the 305's. hopefully they're less ugly in person.

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 24, 2015

Dark Knight
Dec 13, 2008

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but it seemed about as close as I could get.

I'm planning on putting my desktop in my living room at my new apartment, with a monitor for working on a desk and a TV for entertainment next to the desk. The TV will just be running HDMI content from my pc.

I have a Logitech 5.1 speaker set that I've been using just at my desk, and I'd like to use it to provide sound for both displays with the new setup. Is there any way (natively through Windows or with software or whatever) to essentially provide 2.1 sound for both screens, using a left and right speaker around each monitor? So if I'm watching a movie on the TV the sound will from the 2 speakers flanking that screen (along with subwoofer or whatever), and samesies with 2 speakers and the other screen.

Anyone done anything like this before?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dark Knight posted:

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread but it seemed about as close as I could get.

I'm planning on putting my desktop in my living room at my new apartment, with a monitor for working on a desk and a TV for entertainment next to the desk. The TV will just be running HDMI content from my pc.

I have a Logitech 5.1 speaker set that I've been using just at my desk, and I'd like to use it to provide sound for both displays with the new setup. Is there any way (natively through Windows or with software or whatever) to essentially provide 2.1 sound for both screens, using a left and right speaker around each monitor? So if I'm watching a movie on the TV the sound will from the 2 speakers flanking that screen (along with subwoofer or whatever), and samesies with 2 speakers and the other screen.

Anyone done anything like this before?
The simplest thing is to manually swap the monitor and TV speakers' connection to your subwoofer depending on use. For a slightly more convenient setup, you could run an extensions from the subwoofer for left/right, the plug of which you could attach to a convenient location on your desk, then plug into the extensions the set of speakers that being used.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I'm moving soon and happily dumping the old POS all-in-one 5.1 setup I've had since college; looking for some words of wisdom purty please? We're downsizing for a few years, any media we're seriously watching won't be on my computer, and I use headphones when I want good game audio, so I really don't need much to tide me over until we move again. I was about to just pull the trigger on one of the ~$50 Logitech 2.1 setups but I remembered I have some wall mount Snell 700s (like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301616071920?rmvSB=true) that sounded like muffled rear end when I tried to drive 'em with my crap receiver. Think it would work to get a cheap little amp and prop those up somewhere around my PC? My biggest concern is getting enough power to get balanced sound out of them without the cost and space footprint of a big receiver/stereo. (I appreciate any help!)

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Whats the recommended setup for a 2 or 2.1 speaker set these days? I don't have a TON of room, but my logitech whatevers are crapping out on me and are about the 3rd set I've bought, so I'm ready for something new. Not really interested in setting up a whole AV system behind my monitors, but am willing to spend 200 bucks if it takes care of it. Headphone jack only other requirement.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FunOne posted:

Whats the recommended setup for a 2 or 2.1 speaker set these days? I don't have a TON of room, but my logitech whatevers are crapping out on me and are about the 3rd set I've bought, so I'm ready for something new. Not really interested in setting up a whole AV system behind my monitors, but am willing to spend 200 bucks if it takes care of it. Headphone jack only other requirement.

Everyone here loves Audioengine stuff- and for good reason. For the price range it's really hard to beat soundwise and looks wise. The fit and finish is superb. That said, $200 will put you below the barrier of entry for any of their stuff NIB although I think a set of refurb A2+ will run you ~$200.

Pro: class-leading sound, impeccable build quality, the gloss white and carbonized bamboo cabinets are SOOOO PRETTY :swoon:, will probs last you forever and look good in any office from a cheap bachelor pad to the swankiest of Pinterest-worthy digs. All of the powered models take 2 inputs and can switch automatically.The A2+ has a built in USB DAC if you care about that stuff (you're coming from Logitech garbage and gave us a <$200 price point so probably not).

Con: expensive if you're not comfortable with the idea of dropping $200-$500 on active speakers. No headphone port.

If you can't/won't spring for Audioengine or don't care about looks, M-Audio is the brand I'd recommend. I don't know what a pair of AV-40 goes for these days but I remember them costing ~$140 or less a few years ago. They've probably been updated since then but M-Audio's stuff has generally always been fantastic sounding and bulletproof. A pair of AV-40 is also the sweet spot in terms of size and performance for 90% of people AFAIK. Any smaller and you noticeably sacrifice dynamics and sound quality. Any bigger and you might end up with more speaker than you need.

Pro: M-audio makes pro gear and it shows in their entry level stuff. The sound quality's unbeatable for the price, the build quality is rock-solid. The AV series come with built in headphone ports.

Con: "utilitarian" looking (they look like most computer stuff which is relatively inoffensive, I guess- but I personally find them butt ugly when compared to something made by a company like Audioengine. Know that I'm like super big on looks, tho)

Alternatively (and what I'd actually recommend if you're into it), you could go the separates route: find a stereo or HT receiver, plug some bookshelf speakers into it, plug your computer and other inputs into it, and you're done.

For the sub-$200 price range it'll give you by far the best sound quality and performance- at the expense of some space and the hassle of putting the setup together.

Either use a receiver and/or speakers that you/your parents/whoever have lying around or find some stuff on Craigslist. There are literally tons of capable receivers and speakers on Craigslist right now. You have almost 5 decades' worth of compatible gear that would be great for your needs so don't be afraid of looking at any sub-$100 low wattage vintage gems either (swing by the 2-channel/vintage audio thread if you need some reasons why a 40 year old, small-footprint, 35wpc piece of gear might be the perfect addition to your office).

My current desktop setup consists of a 1978 Pioneer SX-690 and a pair of Realistic Minimus 7 speakers that cost me a grand total of $80 and both look and sound leagues better than desktop audio stuff costing 3-4x as much.

Comfortably sized, good sounding speakers might be harder to find. In that case, I'd recommend you pick up a set of those $99 Andrew Jones-designed Pioneer bookshelf speakers that all of the AV thread posters swear by. You can get 'em at Best Buy.

Hope this all helps.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hope this all helps.

Thank you. This is exactly what I expected.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
One additional note about the A2s, they're pretty small. Not that all the other good options are necessarily huge or anything, but if space is enough of a concern there are seemingly few good options that are as small as the A2s.

And yeah they look great, I think the size is part of that for me. They look like big bookshelf speakers, but they're tiny! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I got a pair of Energy 3.1e speakers for cheap. What do I need to do to hook them up to my PC? Currently just have onboard sound and I don't even have speaker cable so guidance on whatever is needed would be much appreciated.

Specs here http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649109076-energy_speakers_31e_excellent_2_way_monitor_139/