Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I think gun laws are mostly idiotic, but what exactly is ruined for you by not being able to have steel core ammo?

what do you think the jackboot ATF thugs of obama's secret army are going to be wearing when they swoop in with silent black helicopters to steal the gold teeth from my mouth, hmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

I think gun laws are mostly idiotic, but what exactly is ruined for you by not being able to have steel core ammo?
This is what I was about to ask since I can tell this is just going to be us arguing a brick wall.

Sedanchair, do tell why we should all have access to steel core rounds. Have deer taken to wearing body armor?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It probably makes all the other ammo more expensive too because gun owners have fallen so hard for the slippery slope fallacy.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I don't imagine they will, after all manufacturers, distributors and dealers are pretty much the only people who take the time to actually understand gun laws.

e:

Wrong.

Here is what the ATF says.

http://www.atf.gov/sites/default/fi...ng_purposes.pdf

The ATF posted:

-
-
ATF FRAMEWORK FOR DETERMINING WHETHER CERTAIN PROJECTILES ARE "PRIMARILY INTENDED FOR SPORTING PURPOSES” WITHIN THE MEANING OF 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(C) To
protect the lives and safety of law enforcement officers from the threat posed by ammunition capable of penetrating a protective vest when fired from a handgun, the Gun Control Act of 1968
(GCA), as amended, prohibits the import, manufacture, and distribution of “armor Piercing ammunition” as defined by the statute. The GCA, however, allows for the exemption of ammunition that would otherwise be considered armor piercing if the Attorney General determines that the specific ammunition at issue is “primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes. ”Interpreting the meaning of this statutory language, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) has developed a framework that will apply to requests seeking a determination that certain projectiles qualify for this “sporting purpose” exemption. The framework is intended to uphold the requirements of the statute and its goal of protecting law enforcement while respecting the interests of sportsmen and the industry. This notice is provided to ensure that the regulated industry and members of the public understand the statute and relevant legislative history, and have an opportunity to review and provide comments or suggestions on the proposed framework. It is important to note that only projectiles that meet the statutory definition of “armor piercing”
–i.e., those made out of the specific listed materials that may be used in a handgun–are subject to the statutory restrictions. As a result, manufacturers are, and will continue to be, free to manufacture projectiles from non-restricted materials, completely independent of the application of this framework or any exemptions. ATF will accept comments for 30 days from the date this
notification, which will be considered prior to finalizing the framework

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So as I said, not illegal.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

This is what I was about to ask since I can tell this is just going to be us arguing a brick wall.

Sedanchair, do tell why we should all have access to steel core rounds. Have deer taken to wearing body armor?

I don't see any reason to ban them, they are not used in crimes very often. Deer hunting is irrelevant, the "sporting purpose" exemption is an unconstitutional canard and the purpose of guns is to kill people. If the people are in vehicles, steel core rounds are appropriate.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

I don't see any reason to ban them, they are not used in crimes very often. Deer hunting is irrelevant, the "sporting purpose" exemption is an unconstitutional canard and the purpose of guns is to kill people. If the people are in vehicles, steel core rounds are appropriate.

i have a constitutional right to fire projectiles through a car to kill someone

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

joeburz posted:

Well, the constitution covers the gun and the ammo in any case, laws determining the appropriate use of force are pretty much up to the states.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Just illegal to import, manufacture, and distribute.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

joeburz posted:

I don't know about you but I get pretty raged when a soccer mom in a Hummer decides to cut me off.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

SedanChair posted:

Well, the constitution covers the gun and the ammo in any case, laws determining the appropriate use of force are pretty much up to the states.

Or the federal government, apparently. What are we debating here, exactly?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't know, I just like to correct sloppy thinking.

Armyman25 posted:

Just illegal to import, manufacture, and distribute.

Except for exemptions listed above. So, not illegal.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SedanChair posted:

Armor piercing handgun rounds are illegal.
Wrong.

Huh?

Edit to include text, highlighting mine:

"the Law Enforcement Officers Protection Act of 1985 posted:

"(B) The term 'armor piercing ammunition' means a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium. Such term does not include shotgun shot required by Federal or State environmental or game regulations for hunting purposes, a frangible projectile designed for target shooting, a projectile which the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes, or any other projectile or projectile core which the Secretary finds is intended to be used for industrial purposes, including a charge used in an oil and gas well perforating device.".

Partly due to that part about "may be used in a handgun" becoming applicable to M855 ammunition (which has a steel projectile core) because of the growing availability of cut-down AR pistols, BATFE is seeking to change what "the Secretary finds is primarily intended to be used for sporting purposes" means, which is entirely within their authority as I understand it.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 5, 2015

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SedanChair posted:

I don't know, I just like to correct sloppy thinking.

Yeah. it's illegal to buy them, illegal to sell them and illegal to create them yourself, that doesn't mean they're illegal at all! If you just come a cross a few lying on the ground like a dropped quarter it's totally fine to pick them up.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 5, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
it is also incorrect to say that Prohibition made alcohol illegal. you could still possess it!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SedanChair posted:

So your argument for why dangerous rounds shouldn't be banned isn't any argument for the sake of recreational shooting anything like that, it's "they aren't used in crimes very often along with "I don't really see any particular reason too."

Those are strong arguments my friend.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it is also incorrect to say that Prohibition made alcohol illegal. you could still possess it!

And purchase it with exemptions for medicinal use.

So your argument for why dangerous rounds shouldn't be banned isn't any argument for the sake of recreational shooting anything like that, it's "they aren't used in crimes very often along with "I don't really see any particular reason too."

Those are strong arguments my friend.

They are. If you're worried about crime, focus on inequality,

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SedanChair posted:

Yes, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives should ignore dangerous trends in firearms and ammunition and focus on inequality.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

And purchase it with exemptions for medicinal use.

i mean, yeah you're completely right that inequality is the largest factor in crimes, violent or not, but it still doesnt make it less absurd that you just said "steel cores are appropriate when you need to shoot through a vehicle also guns are made for murder" as if it makes the argument for them some how better

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Preeeetty sure inequality isn't responsible for gun nuts screeching about Obama outlawing guns and stockpiling as much AP ammo as they can get their hands on. I'm not worried about crime in general here, I'm worried about some pseudofreeper with 1000x as much ammunition as IQ points opening fire on people.

Edit: Well, inequality is responsible for that in a way, but certainly not the one you were talking about.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

joeburz posted:

i mean, yeah you're completely right that inequality is the largest factor in crimes, violent or not, but it still doesnt make it less absurd that you just said "steel cores are appropriate when you need to shoot through a vehicle also guns are made for murder" as if it makes the argument for them some how better

I think it honestly addresses the thinking behind the 2nd Amendment. We can disagree with the Constitution, but it is the law of the land. The 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting or sport, it is about using guns to kill other people.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Shbobdb posted:

I think it honestly addresses the thinking behind the 2nd Amendment. We can disagree with the Constitution, but it is the law of the land. The 2nd Amendment isn't about hunting or sport, it is about using guns to kill other people.

the intention of the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with the 21st century and pretending it does is dumb

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

joeburz posted:

the intention of the 2nd amendment has nothing to do with the 21st century and pretending it does is dumb

OK but in that case the constitution should be changed.

Xenochrist
Sep 11, 2006

SedanChair posted:

But the founders :qqsay:

Thomas Jefferson was onto something when he argued that a constitution should be re-written every 20 years or so.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

joeburz posted:

I agree but unfortunately that isn't the way our government works.

dao Jones
Jul 17, 2009
God bless our beautiful wind-powered founding document, Long May it Reign

This Second Amendment argument reminds me: all this hand-wringing about lethal injections makes me loving furious. I'm ambivalent about the death penalty, but if you are going to execute people have the courage of your convictions and leave the doctors out of it. We have had perfectly good execution technology for centuries, it's called the guillotine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Its illegal. If you are caught with AP ammo, you will be fined or arrested.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

But-but-but his tiny, obnoxiously pedantic loopholes :qq:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

dao Jones posted:

This Second Amendment argument reminds me: all this hand-wringing about lethal injections makes me loving furious. I'm ambivalent about the death penalty, but if you are going to execute people have the courage of your convictions and leave the doctors out of it. We have had perfectly good execution technology for centuries, it's called the guillotine.

Until not too long ago, there were still some states where you could be executed by firing squad. That seemed like a serviceable way of doing it but I guess not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I don't know if you guys noticed or not but the entirety of US gun law is made up of "pedantic little loopholes."

CommieGIR posted:

Unless it has been determined to meet the sporting purpose exemption (and unless you are being arrested by the FBI, probably no law enforcement officer will be able to tell if your ammo is legal or not honestly).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

If you already have ammo bought while the stuff was legal, are you suddenly a criminal?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you already have ammo bought while the stuff was legal, are you suddenly a criminal?

No.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No. Same reason there are still a handful of entirely legal miniguns out there.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

site posted:

I like how the wedding ring is just barely in view, but framed to be noticeable, as if being married allows him these lovely thoughts.

Oh god thiiiiiiiiiiis.

It's just like Chuck C Johnson and every other one of these dicks, they aren't even capable of having a simple picture of themselves taken without some amateur attempt at thought manipulation.

"Hey, crop it so my wedding rings in there but make it look like we didn't mean to. I bet some feminazi will get at me on twitter and I'll be like 'Look at the hand in that picture toots, checkmate'"

"Here I'll act like I'm on my phone, people will think I'm Woodward or something. I'm just so darn busy I can't even stop talking to people on my phone for an entire 30 seconds to have my picture taken, Sorry world, you'll have to settle for this."

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Part of the issue with gun laws in the United States is even the lax ones on the books are never, ever enforced as they should. Nobody gives a poo poo if you have a stupid huge collection of improperly stormed fire arms if your white, becuase that just means your a good old boy/patriots! But if your not white it means your about 10 seconds away from being shot in the back of the head by a swat team for suspected gang behavior or gun running.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/21/machine-guns-legal-practical-guide-full-auto/

Here is an article detailing the pedantic little loopholes that allow you to legally own a machine gun. The only legal minigun I've heard of sounded like it would have been someone with a manufacturer license.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

SedanChair posted:

Obviously yes.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm generally of the opinion that you should be able to own any weapon you want as long has you have proof that your trained to use it and, not about to go on an insane rampage.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

dao Jones posted:

Rich people don't get punished anymore, probably part of the reason the guillotine went out of style :(

StandardVC10 posted:

Until not too long ago, there were still some states where you could be executed by firing squad. That seemed like a serviceable way of doing it but I guess not.

If we put the victim on the other side of a car, we'll finally have a use for all this illegal ammunition!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/05/21/machine-guns-legal-practical-guide-full-auto/

Here is an article detailing the pedantic little loopholes that allow you to legally own a machine gun. The only legal minigun I've heard of sounded like it would have been someone with a manufacturer license.
Nah, I mean there was some tiny amount of miniguns available to the public before they were banned, like less than 10. And those are still out there, circulating amongst superrich gun nuts because it costs a couple thousand dollars to fire the things for more than a few seconds

Venom Snake posted:

I'm generally of the opinion that you should be able to own any weapon you want as long has you have proof that your trained to use it and, not about to go on an insane rampage.
Lol if you think gun nuts would ever submit to a psychiatric review before getting their firearms. And I say this as a gun owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

quote:

"I simply have decided I'm not going to really talk about that issue anymore because every time I'm gaining momentum, the political press says, 'Let's talk about gay rights.' And I'm just not going to fall for that anymore," Carson said.

Ha ha ha ha, what a boob