Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
lol

*browser won't resolve addresses when the resolver obviously can.*

Yup, ubuntu's reputation for just working is pure marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Man, I wish it would stop loving snowing so I can attend new hire orientation and buy a loving mac.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
this seem like the most appropriate thread

rsync on cygwin no longer sucks! I updated a server I setup in December and rsync went from <7MB/s to 105MB/s

uhh never mind it's only fast when you initiate rsync on windows, pushing from linux to windows goes at ~33MB/s

Perplx fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 5, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Perplx posted:

this seem like the most appropriate thread

rsync on cygwin no longer sucks! I updated a server I setup in December and rsync went from <7MB/s to 105MB/s

uhh never mind it's only fast when you initiate rsync on windows, pushing from linux to windows goes at ~33MB/s

thats a relief. I was worried that cygwin was good. The only thing worse than linux on the desktop is linux on a windows desktop.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

How long did it take big computers in the late 1980s/early 1990s to boot?

idk how long but i think i read someone who worked with mainframers saying that generally you don't just turn big iron on and off again like a cheap dell, you have to go through this massive process

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Forums Terrorist posted:

idk how long but i think i read someone who worked with mainframers saying that generally you don't just turn big iron on and off again like a cheap dell, you have to go through this massive process

"Hold on to your asses, I'm going to be back in five minutes after I hit the manual override on the fences".

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

SYSV Fanfic posted:

"Hold on to your asses, I'm going to be back in five minutes after I hit the manual override on the fences".

*is eaten by raptors*

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Forums Terrorist posted:

mainframes historically had an os/2 PC that booted a service processor that in turn booted the various mainframe components

rebooting one could easily be a multi-hour process in the 90s. you were not intended to turn them off.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SYSV Fanfic posted:

thats a relief. I was worried that cygwin was good. The only thing worse than linux on the desktop is linux on a windows desktop.

cygwin is a band-aid to make windows tolerable

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SYSV Fanfic posted:

lol

*browser won't resolve addresses when the resolver obviously can.*

Yup, ubuntu's reputation for just working is pure marketing.

at what point has anyone in this thread said ubuntu was good

ubuntu is garbage for idiots and it always has been

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at what point has anyone in this thread said ubuntu was good

ubuntu is garbage for idiots and it always has been

I say its good because I don't have to do near as much janitoring. I run the installer, I run a script that installs all the utilities I use and I'm done. Everything works.

I *could* have gotten fedora on my PC, but it would have been a poo poo ton of janitoring.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Forums Terrorist posted:

*is eaten by raptors*

oh, my memory is bad. Arnold resets the system and the velicoraptors get out. Arnold and Muldoon get eaten.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I say its good because I don't have to do near as much janitoring. I run the installer, I run a script that installs all the utilities I use and I'm done. Everything works.

I *could* have gotten fedora on my PC, but it would have been a poo poo ton of janitoring.

fedora janitoring is minimal. in my experience because ubungu is a stupid ecosystem there is a similar amount of janitoring needed, though not upfront necessarily. comparatively if i still was running desktop netbsd that would be a poo poo ton of janitoring

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 5, 2015

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

OldAlias posted:

fedora janitoring is minimal. in my experience because ubungu is a stupid ecosystem there is a similar amount of janitoring needed, though not upfront necessarily

The livecd failed so badly I had to keep opening terminals and browsers so I could make fun of it. Try to auto partition? Crash. Manual partition? error message (ubuntu had no problem installing past the 2tb mark. I don't even know why its an issue because gently caress googling this poo poo). Shrink ntfs partition to ~1.5tb to make a small boot partition? Oh, parted 3 took out resize? no problem, I'll just google to see if there is another way. Hmm the browser can't load web pages is my resolver working? Yup.....

Great first impression.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Ubuntu Install: click install along existing operating systems.

I've yet to janitor anything in /etc, or run a command as sudo that wasn't apt-get. The only reason I was trying fedora was because there policy of trying to push all changes back to upstream.

Edit: take that back. Had to add a directory to ldconf because lxqt rightly installed its libraries to /usr/local.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

SYSV Fanfic posted:

The livecd failed so badly I had to keep opening terminals and browsers so I could make fun of it. Try to auto partition? Crash. Manual partition? error message (ubuntu had no problem installing past the 2tb mark. I don't even know why its an issue because gently caress googling this poo poo). Shrink ntfs partition to ~1.5tb to make a small boot partition? Oh, parted 3 took out resize? no problem, I'll just google to see if there is another way. Hmm the browser can't load web pages is my resolver working? Yup.....

Great first impression.

anaconda is buggy trash and fedora has a number of problems, sure. they should kill off much of the community i don't know why anyone cares about a bunch of shell scripting nerds.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
ubuntu's main strength is teh multitude of shitlords who use it and encounter the problems before you do

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I've yet to janitor anything in /etc, or run a command as sudo that wasn't apt-get. The only reason I was trying fedora was because there policy of trying to push all changes back to upstream.

Edit: take that back. Had to add a directory to ldconf because lxqt rightly installed its libraries to /usr/local.

incredible. linux is on its way to matching the usability of windows 3.1

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

lol, i'm free

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

SYSV Fanfic posted:

lol, i'm free

as in beer, or as in speech????

pram
Jun 10, 2001
both :smuggo:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

pram posted:

I made an install for a friend's grandfather that booted into a full screen dosbox running windows 3.1 after his packard bell died.

Linux is at least good for that.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
should have used freedos imo

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

freedos lay

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I made an install for a friend's grandfather that booted into a full screen dosbox running windows 3.1 after his packard bell died.

Linux is at least good for that.

are you aware that running properitary software TAINTS the gnu/linux system??? :commissar:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Maximum Leader posted:

are you aware that running properitary software TAINTS the gnu/linux system??? :commissar:

I'm waiting till there is a UI better than progman to switch him over to a fully free desktop.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Man, linux can't even slam a dumb commercial properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDc9I3z7ab4

pram
Jun 10, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Man, linux can't even slam a dumb commercial properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDc9I3z7ab4

lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
"i'm linux, and i have a lot of users"
"for what distros?"
"uhh...."

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

reminder that steam machines running glorious steamos flavor linux will be out this fall courtesy of gaben with vr

welcome to the future friends

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

the steam controller is made of trackpads

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

CS, dota and the hat economy print so much money that valve is pullinh a major troll called steamos

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

bobbilljim posted:

CS, dota and the hat economy print so much money that valve is pullinh a major troll called steamos

how does these things compare to like the profits of steam actually SELLING games?

I'm scared, I read once the They Bleed Pixels developer say he got far much more money with the virtual trading cards than the game sales but I don't know if that's a normal thing

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

SYSV Fanfic posted:

agreed ubuntu's installer is miles ahead of fedora's. but then ubuntu is terrible while fedora is pretty good. ps don't use kde you weirdo.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

my stepdads beer posted:

agreed ubuntu's installer is miles ahead of fedora's. but then ubuntu is terrible while fedora is pretty good. ps don't use kde you weirdo.

I exercise mah freedoms rarely. When I do nothing is worse than seeing

code:
#include <gtk/gtk.h>
At the top of a header file.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

OldAlias posted:

fedora janitoring is minimal. in my experience because ubungu is a stupid ecosystem there is a similar amount of janitoring needed, though not upfront necessarily. comparatively if i still was running desktop netbsd that would be a poo poo ton of janitoring

fedora insists on rebooting twice to do any updates and holy poo poo why is yum slow as balls

after the system has been rebooted (typically due to these updates), sleep is broken until i manually run the following a few times in a terminal:
$ systemctl restart systemd-logind.service

this was preceded by going into /etc/systemd/logind.conf as root at some point and manually uncommenting the line that says "HandleLidSwitch=suspend"

but hey at least battery status isnt being hidden whenever the laptop is plugged in, like it was on bunters

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yum is straight up trash. I used to defend it because Debian is poo poo but goddamn apt is so much better

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
dnf is a lot better than yum.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

fedora insists on rebooting twice to do any updates and holy poo poo why is yum slow as balls

after the system has been rebooted (typically due to these updates), sleep is broken until i manually run the following a few times in a terminal:
$ systemctl restart systemd-logind.service

this was preceded by going into /etc/systemd/logind.conf as root at some point and manually uncommenting the line that says "HandleLidSwitch=suspend"

but hey at least battery status isnt being hidden whenever the laptop is plugged in, like it was on bunters

works for me. i don't have this problem when updating from the command line

pkgsrc is clearly the king of package management systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
and pacman is better than both of them but Arch does the whole rolling distro thing where they immediately delete old versions of their packages and MOOOOOM WRITING CHANGELOGS IS BORING