Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I like origins because it actually has boss fights that are worth a drat. Arkham city and asylum both had lovely boss fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I like origins because it actually has boss fights that are worth a drat. Arkham city and asylum both had lovely boss fights.

I thought it did the new enemy types well and mixed them up so that encounters were more interesting overall. Also making you actually learn to deal with weapons and isolating them from the pack instead of destroying them outright was kinda cool, even though a lot of people hated it since it either forced them to approach combat slightly different from City, or lose their combo.

Outside of the bugs and upgrade decisions, it's a good game, just not as good as City.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rocksteady have got to put the Batman thing to bed after this though. I'd like to see them tackle the fabled 'good Superman game' next. It must be possible...

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Rocksteady have got to put the Batman thing to bed after this though. I'd like to see them tackle the fabled 'good Superman game' next. It must be possible...

Shadow of Apokolips wasn't that bad, and Justice League Heroes was solid... that's about it though outside of the lego games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

Outside of the bugs and upgrade decisions, it's a good game, just not as good as City.

Basically this. Origins feels like an expansion pack in a lot of way. That is a problem for a $60 game but it doesn't make it bad on its own rights. For some reason opinions on the internet delve into "utterly unplayable poo poo" or "flawless game" without a middle ground and Origins is really heavily a middle ground. Taken on its own merits it would still be a good game, it just isn't as good as the ones that came before. At very least it's a bevy of new challenge rooms + some new enemy types for around $20 these days which is about what you'd pay for that in DLC.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm pretty sure Rocksteady has mentioned multiple times that Arkham Knight isn't just the last in the trilogy but their last Batman game.

Which kinda makes me sad, but I suppose its important to negotiate that early into your publishing relationship - if not, you become those poor bastards at Neversoft who had to crank out Tony Hawk games year after year.

I assume WB interactive will hand the keys to the franchise over to the montreal guys who did Origins - and we'll get a series of incremental improvements that don't really build or improve so much as extend the franchise's longevity.

Eh, it could be worse.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'll be shocked if we don't get a Deathstroke/Suicide Squad game by the Origins guys at some point.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I'm still waiting for a sequel to Urban Chaos: Riot Response, the greatest singleplayer FPS of all time. Urban Chaos was also written better than Origins, but then again everything is written better than Origins.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 5, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Not sure if this is new or not, but a bunch of games have just been announced for Linux. Arkham Knight will be coming to Linux in the fall.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'm hoping this is what Superman's appearance in Arkham Knight is leading into. Maybe the big plot twist in Arkham Knight is that it's actually a lead-in to Final Crisis, the game ends with you ambushing Darkseid, and the Superman game will be an insane LSD trip incorporating Superman Beyond and a sing-to-blow-up-astral-baddies minigame!

I want it ok

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm hoping this is what Superman's appearance in Arkham Knight is leading into.
Huh?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

spoiler alert

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Seems like something the gaming sites will spoil ASAP anyway, remember the Joker's fate being revealed by Kotaku for Arkham City a few months before the game came out? They put it right in the headline so there was no way for it to be avoided. :)

poptart_fairy posted:

I'll be shocked if we don't get a Deathstroke/Suicide Squad game by the Origins guys at some point.

I'm sure this will happen around when the Suicide Squad movie comes out, I think they said like 2018?

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

Neo Rasa posted:

Seems like something the gaming sites will spoil ASAP anyway, remember the Joker's fate being revealed by Kotaku for Arkham City a few months before the game came out? They put it right in the headline so there was no way for it to be avoided. :)

I'm sure this will happen around when the Suicide Squad movie comes out, I think they said like 2018?

I found Origins a decent enough game overall, but the bugs really annoyed me. Having been so good at combat in City due to how well designed it was, it felt weird to fail combos due to bugs or crap in the environment. Also, I wasn't as big on the story either. Returning to Blackgate bugged me. I really thought maybe I had finished with the damned Joker, and the game was doing something new by making Bane the big threat. But after Bane wrecks poo poo at the Batcave he just returns to the Joker as muscle. And I dunno, something always bugged me about the Joker's will being so great that he can turn an entire prison into a fully decorated murder dystopia in like an hour. Kinda makes it all feel pointless. "Well, he's in prison, so at least he isn't killing people for a while...GODDAMMIT!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If there's one thing we can say about the Arkham games, it's that they fellate the Joker more than the thugs imply Harley does.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

AlliedBiscuit posted:

I found Origins a decent enough game overall, but the bugs really annoyed me. Having been so good at combat in City due to how well designed it was, it felt weird to fail combos due to bugs or crap in the environment. Also, I wasn't as big on the story either. Returning to Blackgate bugged me. I really thought maybe I had finished with the damned Joker, and the game was doing something new by making Bane the big threat. But after Bane wrecks poo poo at the Batcave he just returns to the Joker as muscle. And I dunno, something always bugged me about the Joker's will being so great that he can turn an entire prison into a fully decorated murder dystopia in like an hour. Kinda makes it all feel pointless. "Well, he's in prison, so at least he isn't killing people for a while...GODDAMMIT!"

Overuse of the Joker was definitely Origins' biggest fault I agree. Especially with how all the game's marketing was hyper focused on Black Mask being the big bad, but he's barely there. It's going to make it even more frustrating when Arkham Knight turns out to have been Joker all along when this new game comes out, or Arkham is a random vigilante who is taken out like half an hour into the game and the Joker is the real big bad.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nah, the main villain of Arkham Knight will be Scarecrow... in the sense that he'll spray Batman with a strain of Fear Gas that makes him hallucinate the Joker everywhere, with the Joker hallucination driving most of the plot and being far more of an antagonist. :v:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Nah, the main villain of Arkham Knight will be Scarecrow... in the sense that he'll spray Batman with a strain of Fear Gas that makes him hallucinate the Joker everywhere, with the Joker hallucination driving most of the plot and being far more of an antagonist. :v:

Press the middle button to dodge.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Asylum was by far my favorite storyline but going back to it now I miss all the gameplay stuff they added in city. I hope we get a remastered version with all the cool stuff from city put into asylum.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jerusalem posted:

Man I still remember how surprised and blown away I was by the Arkham Asylum demo back in... Jesus Christ, 2009? The fighting system was amazing, the predator section was cool, hell even the glitches were fun!

Now 6 years later I'm of two minds whether I just want this series to go forever or if they should quit with Arkham Knight before the games start feeling like Assassin's Creed style soulless cash-in sequels.

As long as Knight perfects an engine, i'd be totally cool with annual £25 DLC "expansions" to them that told standalone 8 hour stories or something, but only if they keep getting great Batman comic writers in to create an interesting story.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kin posted:

As long as Knight perfects an engine, i'd be totally cool with annual £25 DLC "expansions" to them that told standalone 8 hour stories or something, but only if they keep getting great Batman comic writers in to create an interesting story.

Same. Storypack DLC would be amazing. They don't even have to take place in the city proper. Isolated stories like Asylum would be welcome.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kin posted:

I honestly thought they were going to do this at some point. I thought there was an interview with Kevin Conroy that hinted at episodic content. Imagine if they could release the episodes as standalone games for $10 or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

He said something like that about Arkham City as I recall.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

AlliedBiscuit posted:

Origins was apparently designed as a series of setpieces, with no particular thought about how it would translate into world design, or be integrated. That's part of why the railroad to the endgame starts so early, and why almost all buildings have only one entrance- the teams building each location were apparently kept largely separate.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

AlliedBiscuit posted:

The thing I liked about that section story-wise was the fact that it's one of the interpretations of Batman that actually explains and acknowledges that Arkham Asylum's primary purpose isn't as a mental hospital, but a prison for criminals who are too dangerous or weird to be kept with the Blackgate crew. Anyway, the combat is the biggest issue for me as well. I definitely had a lot more trouble with it than I did with Arkham City, and not because it was more challenging in a fair way, but because it was glitchy and less well balanced. The other aspect that I wasn't a huge fan of was the fact that so many of the side missions were kinda similar in their "collect X many of Y" nature.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lechtansi posted:

Asylum was by far my favorite storyline but going back to it now I miss all the gameplay stuff they added in city.

City easily had far-improved gameplay (although some of the button-pressing combinations got a little ridiculous), but I don't think there's any argument that Asylum had a better story. City's storyline was a Jeph Loeb-esque "villain shows up, then another villain shows up, and then another villain shows up, and then yet another villain shows up, and oh hey here's another one" without any rhyme or reason. At least Origins had the excuse of putting out a bounty on Batman (until it was revealed to be just another Joker setup).

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The bounty plot was still a real thing, it just happened to be enacted by one of Batman's A-listers instead of a lame, bland villain.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah I don't get the love for Black mask. I'm as tired of Joker as the next guy but at least he's interesting. Black Mask is just a generic mobster.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Black Mask is the villain you use if you want a really, really horrible thing to happen, but you don't want the person committing the atrocity to be quirky about it. He's just a creepy torture enthusiast.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

So this is going to be a thing and I'm a bit disappointed it's going to be a mobile game instead of the sprawling next-gen open world sandbox I've always dreamed of, but it's a step in the right direction. If it's good and popular, maybe they'll make a real game out of it?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah I don't get the love for Black mask. I'm as tired of Joker as the next guy but at least he's interesting. Black Mask is just a generic mobster.

I actually asked this earlier in the thread and it came down to people not really liking BM, but just being sick of him being shoved to the side for another Joker plot.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'm just hoping for a Professor Pyg appearance, with the M rating they can get reallyyyy hosed up.

But it's probably because Rocksteady is going to be really final about their ending the tour of Arkham with killing Batman in a tear-wrenching way that gets them the M rating - My own speculation I'm only basing on the things I've seen from playing Arkham.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

You know I really hate the New Game Pluses for the Arkham series so far. I really dislike that it disables the counter indicators. In itself it's not a big deal but to me, the combat itself isn't hard and you can just power your way through typically.

Challenge is important in video games but I really wish I could turn it back on for the harder difficulties. To me the challenge for the arkham series of games isn't how I can lose in combat, but making combat as brutally efficient as possible. Because Batman.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You know I really hate the New Game Pluses for the Arkham series so far. I really dislike that it disables the counter indicators. In itself it's not a big deal but to me, the combat itself isn't hard and you can just power your way through typically.

Challenge is important in video games but I really wish I could turn it back on for the harder difficulties. To me the challenge for the arkham series of games isn't how I can lose in combat, but making combat as brutally efficient as possible. Because Batman.

Brutally efficient is not a good way, though perfectly viable, since that involves dropping your combo often to focus on the primary threat rather than bounce around dudes to keep the counter going. It is really fun though and makes you feel more like Batman than the normal system.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

poptart_fairy posted:

I actually asked this earlier in the thread and it came down to people not really liking BM, but just being sick of him being shoved to the side for another Joker plot.

Yeah I can understand this. I guess I just want a break from the joker AND a more interesting villain to replace him with. Fussy gamer ITT.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

Yeah I can understand this. I guess I just want a break from the joker AND a more interesting villain to replace him with.

You might want to try another superhero my friend.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah I can understand this. I guess I just want a break from the joker AND a more interesting villain to replace him with. Fussy gamer ITT.

BM can be interesting, but like most mobster characters, it basically depends on how competent the writer makes them- especially in their interactions with other supervillains.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of Joker, how do you goons feel about Endgame? I only ask because I really hope centuries old abomination Slenderjoker doesn't catch on in the games.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Speaking of Joker, how do you goons feel about Endgame?

I feel like it might be the dumbest thing involving the Joker that I have ever seen in my entire life, and I have played Arkham City and read Death of the Family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BM did get a bit of spotlight a few years back and organized some of Batman's other rogues into his gang. Aside from Joker there's only Ras and Bane who can manage to make the other crooks fall in line into a greater plot, even if they don't know it yet. Bane's basically mentally handicapped these days and Ras was already rolled into the Arkham City plot.

BM seemed like a good fit to run the show in Origins but we know that exactly didn't pan out.

• Locked thread