Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zedprime posted:

No, its all ultimately pulse based on rounds internal to the engine because dnd.

I hate you, Milkman Dan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pun pundit posted:

since the Devils and the Demons expend most of their energy fighting each other, and by the very nature of their respective Planes can't actually successfully take over each other's territories without turning into what they just fought?

They can take over each others territories. However nether side is ever going to get anywhere. Devils have managed to take over Abyssal layers once it a while. but the Demons also have infinite numbers while the Devils are finite so the Demons eventually overwhelm them and take back their layers. On the Baator side, Demons have to go through each layer of hell in order to conquer it, but the devils are highly organized and skilled at war, while the demons are just a bunch of rabble that will turn on each other at a moments notice. As a result the Demons have never held any territory on the first layer of hell for more then a day before being wiped out or driven off.

Pretty much the Devils are outnumbered 10 to 1 and most of the time 5 of that 10 are fighting with each other instead of the 1 and the 1 has a much better battle plan and skills then the 10. However the two of them are roughly equal in victory and defeats because sometimes no matter how good the tactics you are going in with sheer numbers can overwhelm.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

IN BG 1, Is there anything I have to do other than click "detect traps" and walk around to have Imoen detect traps? I've got her skill at 100 but she's still managing to set the things off rather than find them. Got auto-pause on detect trap set too.
The 2nd level cleric / druid spell Detect Traps runs on the same per-round pulse principle but actually tells you when the last pulse has gone out. You wait for it to trigger then walk about half a screen at a time. That should do it

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

I believe it checks once per round, or every six seconds assuming default frame rate.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Metal Meltdown posted:

I believe it checks once per round, or every six seconds assuming default frame rate.

Yeah, this. The game tracks every round internally, and only checks for traps at the start of each round. Unfortunately, the range on Find Traps is only 2/3 to 3/4 what a character can walk in that same amount of time, so it's quite easy to set off traps that were out of detection range if you're not careful.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

One tip to make detecting traps far easier to use invisibility. You can't have a thief stealthed and detecting traps simultaneously but you can have one invisible and detecting. This makes it cake to have a thief scout ahead without risk of bringing down a whole group of monsters on their frail selves.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Trap finding in infinity engine is atrocious, there's no two ways about it so just do what everyone else does and memorise the location of every single trap in the game after years of replaying. They should've stuck with traps on chests/lootables and terrain-based traps like the smashing corridor in the asylum of BG2.

Now that I think of it, why are these kind of traps so few and far between?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

MonsterEnvy posted:

They can take over each others territories. However nether side is ever going to get anywhere. Devils have managed to take over Abyssal layers once it a while. (...) The Demons have never held any territory on the first layer of hell for more then a day before being wiped out or driven off.

Yes, this is half of what I meant. The other half is that whenever a creature becomes a ruler of an abyssal layer or level of hell, that the energies of the plane will eventually turn that creature into a demon or devil respectively regardless of what they were to begin with.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Many of the traps actually are on either notable terrain features, or an obvious chokepoint that you get funneled through.

Now, if they were all like that, I might feel guilty about using a walkthrough that points out where they all are.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah one key thing to look for - especially in Durlag's Tower - is bodies on the floor. If you see them, chances are a trap is near the tile with the bodies on them.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My archer thief guy says his sarcasm lines like he doesn't really like them hahah

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So uh, I managed to use the Cube and I got to the robot maze. I tried to go through the Hard version of it, but got wrecked by the first enemies I came across. Also, I went into Under-sigil and got destroyed by the beetle enemies. I have the folding portal and the piece of Ravel. Should I just do that instead? I don't have any other quests in my log aside from "Find Nestor's Fork", "Find the Secret of the King of the Dead Nations", and "Deliver this thing to the a guy at the Godsmen for Glitspur".

I feel like I'm underleveled. I'm a mage, and I think I'm at level 11.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Capsaicin posted:

So uh, I managed to use the Cube and I got to the robot maze. I tried to go through the Hard version of it, but got wrecked by the first enemies I came across. Also, I went into Under-sigil and got destroyed by the beetle enemies. I have the folding portal and the piece of Ravel. Should I just do that instead? I don't have any other quests in my log aside from "Find Nestor's Fork", "Find the Secret of the King of the Dead Nations", and "Deliver this thing to the a guy at the Godsmen for Glitspur".

I feel like I'm underleveled. I'm a mage, and I think I'm at level 11.

Don't fight the monsters in the maze. Just walk through every single room, don't touch a thing. I think what you're after is only on the harder levels of it but there's genuinely no reason to fight any of the people. I think PST is unique in the infinity engine games because there's plenty of places with infinite enemies that you just shouldn't fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

pun pundit posted:

Yes, this is half of what I meant. The other half is that whenever a creature becomes a ruler of an abyssal layer or level of hell, that the energies of the plane will eventually turn that creature into a demon or devil respectively regardless of what they were to begin with.

This actually does not have to happen. If the Beings are powerful or numerous enough. They can shape the area they are in to their standards and not that of the plane. For example one layer of the Abyss is more or less a safe haven for people due to having be conquered by the Eladrin and as a result is a fairly nice place other then the fact demons attack it all the time because Eladrin are there. The Eladrin still dislike the Abyss but stay in the layer to protect a group of Eladrin Children cursed to forever remain young and trapped on the layer by the Demon Pale Night.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

This actually does not have to happen. If the Beings are powerful or numerous enough. They can shape the area they are in to their standards and not that of the plane. For example one layer of the Abyss is more or less a safe haven for people due to having be conquered by the Eladrin and as a result is a fairly nice place other then the fact demons attack it all the time because Eladrin are there. The Eladrin still dislike the Abyss but stay in the layer to protect a group of Eladrin Children cursed to forever remain young and trapped on the layer by the Demon Pale Night.

4e or 5e or whatever has no relation to this thread. Go poop in a box, thanks.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Starting an edition war in this thread seems like a wonderful idea and I think we should do it.

4e did nothing wrong.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I know I've seen it discussed in here, but I can't find it. What mods/fixpacks are recommended for Arcanum? I tried to get through it a few times as a teenager, I think I'm more mentally prepared for it these days.

I'm installing off of cd's! I feel so nostalgic. Are there any specific newbie traps I should be wary of?

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Mar 6, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

There used to be a little mod guide in the GOG thread OP, I think. That might have been an iteration or two ago, though.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Attestant posted:

Starting an edition war in this thread seems like a wonderful idea and I think we should do it.

4e did nothing wrong.

It's a real shame there's not been a 4E computer game, it feels like the edition that would suit it the best with all the classes and etc that are available.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CainsDescendant posted:

I know I've seen it discussed in here, but I can't find it. What mods/fixpacks are recommended for Arcanum? I tried to get through it a few times as a teenager, I think I'm more mentally prepared for it these days.

The old school PC RPGs thread has some info on Arcanum and a lot of knowledgeable posters, so you can ask them for help. You'll definitely want to install the high resolution mod and the unofficial patch.

CainsDescendant posted:

I'm installing off of cd's! I feel so nostalgic. Are there any specific newbie traps I should be wary of?

Yeah, a ton. I love Arcanum more than any sane person should, but if you don't know what you're doing it's very easy to create a weak build and have a frustrating first experience. If you want an easy time, level Dexterity, Melee and Dodge. You can put your other points into anything you want. Both magic and tech are very viable, but the former is a bit easier for beginners to learn. Levelling Charisma also lets you recruit more followers, which helps a lot.

I don't want to give any concrete tips because I feel it's best if you go in as blind as possible. Just keep in mind that Arcanum was made in the vein of the early Fallout games, so low level combat is dangerous and it's very easy to wander into an area with high level monsters. It might be best to do town quests early on since they tend to be easier and give decent experience.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
If you're playing Arcanum you're also going to want Otto's All-In-One to rebalance tech/magic, otherwise magic is brokenly powerful and tech is utter garbage late-game.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
So I've been making my way through BG2EE with my nominally evil party (Dorn, Korgan, Viconia, Edwin, Hexxat) not being too goody-goody but not being too horribly evil either. Reputation is at about 13 so they've just started to gripe.

I've done a number of quests and taken on some others and am trying to work my way down the list but there's an awful lot of side quests to work with so far. I feel like I'm drowning in opportunities but it's hard to say which of them are worth doing in Chapter 2.

I haven't raised the 20,000 (or I guess it will be 15,000) gold yet because I've bought some expensive weapons (like Dakkon's katana, etc) and need to make that up. No idea if I should side with vampires or Shadow Thieves at this point. I've gotten the mage stronghold and have started the apprentices making items. I've gotten Lilarcor for Dorn, and started the Umar Hills and Windspear Hills quests as well. I've also already finished the Mae'var questline in the process of getting Edwin and have freed the slaves in the Slums and solved the kidnapping/murders in the Bridge District. No party member questlines appear pressing except that I keep avoiding the nighttime contact for the second Hexxat quest.

Am I right in that any of the class "stronghold" quests have pretty huge payouts, and just tapping a couple more of those will raise enough money to move forward? I'm also looking for sidequests with useful gear rewards for the party I'm using.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The questline to infiltrate Mae'var's guild nets you 20,000 gold, easy.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If you pick up Nalia and do her quest she pays you like 10k gold at the end of it, then you can ditch her again.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you sneeze in the general direction of BG2 content you will have more gold than you know what to do with. Like do a quest or two and you'll have the scratch for the storyline while potentially seeing +1 weapons as a waste of space, even as vendor trash.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

zedprime posted:

If you sneeze in the general direction of BG2 content you will have more gold than you know what to do with. Like do a quest or two and you'll have the scratch for the storyline while potentially seeing +1 weapons as a waste of space, even as vendor trash.

It's a weird one, but I've always loved the transition in the Baldur's Gate series from desperately scrounging a couple hundred gold together by raiding every goddamn hobgoblin corpse you see, just to raise a companion shredded by a wolf, to being hugely annoyed enemies dropping worthless trash like +2 weapons, and having enough gold to crash the entire economy of Faerun. There's an inexact moment at which I always recognize no longer needing to pick up nonmagical items and finding it immensely satisfying.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's a lot more fun to play Mask of the Betrayer, walk around Mulsantir and find enough gold just lying on the ground to buy a villa

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
I've just started playing BGT after buying it from GOG at Christmas and patching it up with the stuff recommended in the OP last month.

Roll a mage, start talking to the monks, get the 'this is how you open a door' message, open a door to go inside and get gutted by Shank the Assassin.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Welcome to low level 2.5e DnD

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm about to do my semi-annual Take the Same PC and Party That I Always Do From BG1 All the Way to ToB run. The name is a work in progress. Any decent mods out there besides the Banter packs if I'm fine with the game out of the box? A new batch of quests or some kits or something are always nice for keeping it refreshing but the pickings for Infinity Engine mods are so-so at best.

e: Yup nothing new that interests me.

BG1 Elf wild mage with 11 str/19 dex/15 con/18 int/15 wis/8 cha with a party of six. Sound about right?

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 7, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Take 17 Con so you can wear the claw of Kazgaroth without taking a HP hit.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Wild Mage accidentally summoning a demon when fighting Shank is still the best early game death.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So far the only surges I've gotten are fizzles or double health. :saddowns:

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The best wild surge I've seen was Neera casting Stoneskin and surging it into an area of effect so the whole party got stoneskins.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
So I am at Ravel and this seems like it should be a really loving important conversation. Anything I should watch out for?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
If you really want spoilers for how to approach that conversation, suck up to her, a lot.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Ignus. gently caress that guy.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

The best wild surge I've seen was Neera casting Stoneskin and surging it into an area of effect so the whole party got stoneskins.

Same, except it was Wish :stare:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, I'm moving through the BG 1 as a Fighter (Berserker kit) and planning on dualing over to Mage in BG 2.

A few questions:

1) If I run up a huge total of "extra" xp in BG 1, will I be able to use it to "instantly" dual class in BG 2? or will it all be wasted? If I have enough for say Fighter Level 10, would I be able to level up once (to Fighter 9), immediately Dual, and then take some mage levels? Will that work?

2) What's the best item to carry over to BG 2? Will I be able to wear the Helm of Balduran and cast as a fighter/mage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No it'll all be wasted. If you click level-up it applies all your levelups at once, so you'll shoot straight to 10 and have that much farther to go to get your fighter levels back once you dual to mage. You want to Dual Class the instant you hit the level you want to keep in your first class, even if it means you have to fight Sarevok with your protagonist as a level 1 mage.

Helmets don't impede spellcasting, only armor does.