Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Turtlicious posted:

Wasn't the left nipple a power button, and the right a reset or something creepy like that?

I need a Leela Steam Machine now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Harminoff posted:

If it's crap we at least have this to fall back on

http://themeparkitect.com/

This is like the second Kickstarter I ever backed, just because I want it to succeed to badly. It's a very shameless clone, but seems like it has a lot of neat improvements.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The ASUS steam machine doesn't seem to be that terrible of a ripoff. An i5 processor and a gtx 960 are about $200 each. $30 for the RAM, $50 for the wireless adapter, $50 for the hard drive, lets be generous and say $50 for the Mobo, at this point I can't be bothered to add up the wattage but lets say another $50 for the PSU, throw in the fact that they all come with a free steam controller and it seems like a fair price for what you're getting.

The Alienware Steam Machine is actually a pretty good deal at lower tiers if it's a modified 960M instead of the last model's modified 860M. Just don't buy the highest end model with the needless i7 processor.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I wanna see if Steam pulls something off and gets South America/Russia some weird special deals on Steam Machines. I don't think that'll ever happen, but hey.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dias posted:

I wanna see if Steam pulls something off and gets South America/Russia some weird special deals on Steam Machines. I don't think that'll ever happen, but hey.
I doubt it. You can't pirate hardware to the level you can with software.

They have no reason to discount those machines beyond the norm.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So let's talk abuot M&B's Pirate brother:

Caribbean or however it's pronounced seems less buggy then the Viking DLC, which was absolute poo poo.

The boat combat is pretty simple you have a fleet of up to 5 dudes, and the enemy does as well, you sail around each other firing bullets effecting one of 3 health bars, 1 is green for their crew (this makes them have less dudes when you board,) 1 is white for killing the rigging (they can't turn or go as fast, you can basically make them dead in the water,) and 1 is red for the ships health, (You can just straight up sink them.)

There's also the ability to set your ships on fire and then sail them into the enemies ships, setting those ships on fire, but it's obviously risky and mines are a thing. You can buy upgrades for your ships like extra cargo space, or room for more crew or more guns, stuff like that. You're only allowed 3, also from what I can tell the crew you hire is just for the boat.

The ship to ship combat is fun, there are little emblems on ropes and things for you to either climb up and down riggings (just a stock animation to get you to the crows nest,) or swing across between the boats, (which works but can really suck if you swing right in as reinforcements come.) They've also added this little deployment screen for land battles, where you can drag flags to line up your troops, and it's a lot easier to tell visually how you're ordering your men around because of the new menus.

Pistols and muskets are a lot of fun and feel powerful, if I was better at the game I could probably decimate the other guys with a bit of strategy, but I'm not great. they also hold your hand quite a bit with the tutorial being one of the best starting quests I've ever had in the M&B series.

I'm hoping the tutorial goes over the whole investment and trade thing, because you can invest in ports but I'm not 100% how that works.

Overall it's a fun game, and a good timewaster for 15 bucks, also it's out - out, as in you're not buying a beta and hoping it gets better (Though they are updating it.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are they planning to add back in the more or less half of the games features they cut for launch?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

Are they planning to add back in the more or less half of the games features they cut for launch?

I started playing after release, could you let me know what features are cut and I'll let you know if they are in the game.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/293010/announcements/detail/125307534302391415

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Harminoff posted:

If it's crap we at least have this to fall back on

http://themeparkitect.com/

Jesus, that trailer. I guess they know what audience they're going for, but that's kind of blunt.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They're slowly adding the tavern stuff, and they're adding in the city sieges as well, right now you can only siege on land but it looks like they're adding boat sieging soon.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Dias posted:

Heh. Hardware tends to be more expensive in Russia.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gotta spend all those credit cards somehow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I've been playing Brutal Legend and it's really weird how technically every element of the game feels like something I should enjoy, and yet I find myself struggling to really get into it. There's nothing really wrong with it apart from the bizarre battle missions that feel like they should be part of a different game, but the whole thing comes across as oddly detached. The ideas are there, the execution just doesn't quite come across.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Jerusalem posted:

I've been playing Brutal Legend and it's really weird how technically every element of the game feels like something I should enjoy, and yet I find myself struggling to really get into it. There's nothing really wrong with it apart from the bizarre battle missions that feel like they should be part of a different game, but the whole thing comes across as oddly detached. The ideas are there, the execution just doesn't quite come across.

The whole game feels like different people designed different parts of it and then instead of trying to modify them to work together they just shoved it all together and called it a day. So everything feels disconnected from each other and it kind of falls flat on its face since they didn't spend the time to make any particular part of it really excel.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think it was either supposed to be cancelled or forced to release early due to holidays which explains a bunch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That makes sense, it certainly feels like it needed at least another few months to make the game flow better, and work out what worked, what needed work, and what should have been discarded.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just bought Hotline Miami 2 with card money, take that atheists :smug:.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Pre-ordering is still bad you guys even when its Hotline Miami

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Shut up.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
If they screw it up somehow it will be pretty funny seeing all the people lamenting their preorder tho

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't mean specifically with HM2, I just mean the never preorder under any circumstance choir.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

If they screw it up somehow it will be pretty funny seeing all the people lamenting their preorder tho

My £10 NOOOoooo :byodood:

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Preordering was cool for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth iirc because people got a 30% discount for doing so, but it's rare to know so much about a game before it's out I guess. HM2 seems like a good bet though.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I'm going to be a bit sad if the copy of HM2 that I ordered from GamersGate won't let me activate it because of the whole "banned in Australia" thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
On the one hand, there's really no incentive to pre-order games anymore because you'll find out from day one if they're actually worth your money or not upon release without you even having to play it yourself, just because we live in an age where word of mouth is extremely powerful and accessible. But on the other, pre-ordering games is like buying a game in Early Access: If you have the money to spend, and you're 100% sure you want what you're buying, then people would be hard-pressed to find a convincing reason for you not to do it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fun Times! posted:

Preordering was cool for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth iirc because people got a 30% discount for doing so, but it's rare to know so much about a game before it's out I guess. HM2 seems like a good bet though.

Don't get me wrong, always watch a ton of widely representative poo poo (if it doesn't have it be wary), make sure you're okay with the possibility that you backed a poo poo horse, make sure you're not the poors and if you are go for a sure $60 instead, etc. The recent neverending choir of "never preorder" needs to go away because it's always a definitive, blanket statement with no room for the realities of the situation.

You still shouldn't though, that poo poo is just particularly tiresome.

E: I was going to say that I've never regretted a preorder, just been disappointed by them, but I gave it a good thought and remembered I bought Timeshift , morning of release, which for the time was just as bad. :smith:

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 6, 2015

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

I pre-ordered Hatred and i got the OST and separate Steam and Desura keys, with the encouragement to give one key to a friend if i wanted to. Preordering is sometimes good and i think HM2 will also be good

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm sure going to be really angry I used my free money to get it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
When you can decide you want it and be playing it within 10m theres just not much to gain by prepaying idk why thats upsetting to hear

Orv
May 4, 2011

When you can decide you want it and be playing it within 10m theres just not much to gain by prepaying idk why thats upsetting to hear

That's not upsetting to hear, it's a completely valid point. The part where someone comes into a thread and says "Hey guys I've watched a ton of videos and this seems like something I'd personally enjoy, I'm gonna buy it" and nine people say "Never preorder." and usually not a single word more, that's annoying as gently caress.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Building computers chat: When I built this system it was worth it but it was a pretty miserable experience. I had an MSI motherboard and it was defective, and a defective motherboard basically triples your work because you have to put together just about everything to test if it will all work, then take it all apart to get the bad motherboard out, then put it all back together again with another motherboard. This was especially bad because my CPU fan is a huge pain to install and I nearly damaged a part getting it back out and then installed again with an ASUS motherboard.

After all that I had some unrelated and unexpected problems getting windows 7 to validate because it was an upgrade-only copy, but my new hardware was incompatible with my old hard drive that had XP on it, while my new hard drive wouldn't let me install XP on it. So it took me days to figure out how to get windows to recognize XP on that old hard drive while installing 7 on the new one. I don't remember what I did and it shouldn't have been as much of an issue as it was. But the whole process including getting a new motherboard took like two weeks, instead of the single evening it should have taken.

Three years later this is an awesome computer and I hope it stays working for a long time, so it was worth it in the end, but definitely be prepared for a lot of random bullshit to go wrong if you want to build a computer.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm gonna preorder HM2 the day before release and save 10%.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll say that you managed to roll snake eyes on pretty much every aspect of a custom build going wrong, which is some kind of freak cosmic accident.

E: I can't be seen to be on FF's side, forget I said anything.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 6, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Get them on GOG, the Steam versions are a mess and do all kinds of freaky poo poo.

Thanks for the warning! What happens in them on Steam and how?

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks for the warning! What happens in them on Steam and how?

For me it eats every bit of CPU it can get its hands on and refuses to play nice with alt-tabbing to stop it from doing that. Other people are reporting more usual stuff like screwy colors, fullscreen issues, the usual sort of stuff you'd expect with a no-work-done rerelease of a game from '99 written in assembly.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I agree with you, but I also don't think that's cause enough for pre-orders to just up and disappear like game demos did.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Demos are awesome, they're less common than they were but they didn't go away: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?sort_by=Released_DESC&os=win#sort_by=Released_DESC&category1=10&os=win&page=1

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Building computers chat: When I built this system it was worth it but it was a pretty miserable experience. I had an MSI motherboard and it was defective, and a defective motherboard basically triples your work because you have to put together just about everything to test if it will all work, then take it all apart to get the bad motherboard out, then put it all back together again with another motherboard. This was especially bad because my CPU fan is a huge pain to install and I nearly damaged a part getting it back out and then installed again with an ASUS motherboard.

After all that I had some unrelated and unexpected problems getting windows 7 to validate because it was an upgrade-only copy, but my new hardware was incompatible with my old hard drive that had XP on it, while my new hard drive wouldn't let me install XP on it. So it took me days to figure out how to get windows to recognize XP on that old hard drive while installing 7 on the new one. I don't remember what I did and it shouldn't have been as much of an issue as it was. But the whole process including getting a new motherboard took like two weeks, instead of the single evening it should have taken.

Three years later this is an awesome computer and I hope it stays working for a long time, so it was worth it in the end, but definitely be prepared for a lot of random bullshit to go wrong if you want to build a computer.

I feel like if you're going to piece together a computer, the point is to make it as high end as possible (while hitting that value sweet spot so that you're not blowing it on the latest and greatest.)

You should be proud and excited about what you're building, otherwise you can spend the same amount and get a lesser performing system and just be good to go. Top end sports car performance isn't going to matter if you play match 3 games/a lot of good games don't require you to upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I'm glad for that, but surely you got what I meant by that in a not-that-literal sense right? There's nothing actually there to be gained by getting rid of the ability to pre-order a game, and while I know that's not what you said to the word, that's the logical endpoint of the "don't ever pre-order games" argument. If you don't want to pre-order a game then don't, but it's not really hurting anybody who has the money to spend on it. :shrug:

• Locked thread