Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Drifter posted:

I was visiting my brother a while back and he got me started watching Battlestar Galactica with him and his wife and came back home to continue it on my own. I just finished it and holy god drat it was so loving good.

It was a really well written and acted show. I'd read that people didn't like the ending and the last bits from season three on or whatever, but I thought it was all really good. Them trying for 'frak' was always a little silly, but after a season it didn't actively bother me anymore.

Just a really enjoyable, smart, emotional show. Good stuff.

Gods Damnit.

Yeah, I love that loving show.

I've been re-watching House of Cards. Amazes me how perfect this show is. Upon a second viewing, it saddens me that they reduced the "4th wall soliloquy" in the latest season. Also the double-tap with his ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer

qntm posted:

I know someone who quit watching Breaking Bad bad entirely after Season 5A, which ends on the most mind-boggling cliffhanger of the whole show up to that point. Just gave up the show. Didn't care about any of the characters. :psyduck:

I watched it all except for maybe the last 4 eps about a year ago? The only thing that has made me want to catch up is that Better Call Saul has been released and i really want to see it but dont want to get spoiled, although its a prequel isnt it?

I dont even really remember where i left Breaking Bad off or why i did, i enjoyed it but not as much as everyone else seems too, it was frustrating and at times just pointless and meandering, but i will finish it off... Might just have to restart the last season.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shadow posted:

Also the double-tap with his ring.
Did he do that at all in season 3?? Kinda weird, it was such a big deal in season 2.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I'm only two episodes in so far, but everyone else is doing the ring tapping thing, and I assume it's deliberate.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

misguided rage posted:

Did he do that at all in season 3?? Kinda weird, it was such a big deal in season 2.

I remember him doing it at least once near the beginning of the season.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

It might be. It looks like they have not reached a deal yet with Fox. So its possible and looks like I have to finish seasons 6-9 before the 1st.

Sugar. It looking like I'm going to have to start binging ASAP. I think if I push hard enough, I can get through it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

screenwritersblues posted:

Sugar. It looking like I'm going to have to start binging ASAP. I think if I push hard enough, I can get through it.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!!

http://decider.com/2015/03/05/the-x-files-not-leaving-netflix/

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

To Battle posted:

Longmire is pretty great.

Ehh I liked the earlier season. They ramped up the stakes too much for such a tiny location. And the extravagant back story plot is way out of control in addition to being largely unnecessary.

I did really like it for the first 1.5 seasons but yeesh, take it down a notch.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I had the same reaction. What was a nicely low-key drama turned into a preposterous series of high stakes situations requiring Longmire to be an unconvincing badass, and it just didn't work.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I've had a fair bit of downtime the last few weeks, so I finally sat down and watched Deadwood, something I've been meaning to do for ~ten years. It was really good, Ian McShane as Al Swearengen absolutely steals any scene that he's in, and I really enjoyed the dialogue and characters, even the hatable ones like E.B. Farnum. (Jane did kinda grate on me most of the time though.) Wu and Swearengen's interactions were some of the best parts.

Wish it had gotten a better ending :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I had someone who just thought that Walter White was too much of an unbelievable idiot (because of the refusal to take Gretchen and Elliot's money), that he couldn't get into the show. I kept saying that it was Walt's monstrous pride that kept him from doing that.

It was the pride, coupled with the fact Walt was in what appeared to be a pretty serious (for him, at least) relationship with Gretchen until she dumped him for Elliot. It made it a lot more believable, although I don't think it was fully revealed until pretty late in the series.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
HBO was gutting expensive shows that year. We lost Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, and it sucked. Rome at least didn't end on a cliffhanger, and Deadwood more or less "resolved" the George Hearst storyline, but it sucked we didn't get more.

They also tried to placate fans at the time with some horseshit about making 2 or 3 movies to "finish up the series," but they never had any intention of doing so and literally just did that to stop people from complaining.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Shadow posted:

HBO was gutting expensive shows that year. We lost Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale, and it sucked. Rome at least didn't end on a cliffhanger, and Deadwood more or less "resolved" the George Hearst storyline, but it sucked we didn't get more.

They also tried to placate fans at the time with some horseshit about making 2 or 3 movies to "finish up the series," but they never had any intention of doing so and literally just did that to stop people from complaining.

Wasn't Deadwood canceled because Raylin wanted to do that horrible, horrible John from Cincinnati show?

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Not Olyphant - it was Milch, the writer/producer.

So my wife and I have been watching The Good Wife on Amazon, and I gotta say I'm really enjoying it. I've had a weakness for Josh Charles ever since Sports Night (don't worry I know what happens in season 5) and the rest of the cast is great as well, especially Alan Cumming and Archie Punjabi. The cases never seem to get overly repetitive and the overarching storylines are usually pretty compelling. I don't particularly care for Alicia's kids, but man do I love to hate Jackie. We're finishing up season 3 now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

EB was at least likeable but I hated Jane every second of every scene she was in.

eppu
Apr 15, 2005
Steve "the Drunk" Fields was the best of them all, that guy really knew how to yell.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I just saw 1.5 episodes of Burning Love and I didn't laugh once. A bit odd since Party Down is my favourite comedy of all time. Am I just getting to old for life?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

eppu posted:

Steve "the Drunk" Fields was the best of them all, that guy really knew how to yell.

One of those drunks went into a time machine and became Ron Swanson. :911:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

oldpainless posted:

EB was at least likeable

whaaaaaaaat

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At long last, I've gotten around to starting True Blood.

Cold open of episode one: redneck vampire buying a six-pack of blood at the liquor store.

I know that even if it is not good, it should at least be entertaining.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I have never understood how anybody could watch that programme. All other quality issues aside, that loving fake accent is abominable.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Wheat Loaf posted:

At long last, I've gotten around to starting True Blood.

Cold open of episode one: redneck vampire buying a six-pack of blood at the liquor store.

I know that even if it is not good, it should at least be entertaining.

The first couple of seasons are entertaining, sometimes even good. Then it goes dramatically off the rails.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

With True Blood, I found the more off the rails it got the more entertained I became.

Exploding fly, anyone? You can't not laugh.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just finished going through Bosch, I liked it a lot. I feel like I really missed the boat on True Detective, but Bosch was way more my speed.

Now I'm going through seasons 3 and 4 of bar rescue and soaking in the butt funnels and Angie's List plugs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cactus posted:

With True Blood, I found the more off the rails it got the more entertained I became.

Exploding fly, anyone? You can't not laugh.

You say to yourself, "this show can't get any more ridiculous", and, well, it does.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

You say to yourself, "this show can't get any more ridiculous", and, well, it does.

It should have ended with Season 5.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015

EC posted:

that horrible, horrible John from Cincinnati show?

I think I'm the only person around who loved that poo poo.

Mostly for Ed O'Neill and his bird, and the goons around the motel, but I really wanted to see what happened until 90210 guy became Satan.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I got the complete boxset of Twin Peaks for Christmas that I got around to checking out a week or so ago. I've been doing about a episode a night. I just finished up the first season and the first few episodes of season two and they were absolutely fantastic. I heard season 2 isn't as tight but even if its half as good as the first season then it'll still be pretty great - even with learning some of the outcomes through osmosis. I'm really looking forward to the 2016 episodes. Hopefully they'll be able to catch lightning in a bottle again.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jimbot posted:

I got the complete boxset of Twin Peaks for Christmas that I got around to checking out a week or so ago. I've been doing about a episode a night. I just finished up the first season and the first few episodes of season two and they were absolutely fantastic. I heard season 2 isn't as tight but even if its half as good as the first season then it'll still be pretty great - even with learning some of the outcomes through osmosis. I'm really looking forward to the 2016 episodes. Hopefully they'll be able to catch lightning in a bottle again.

Be sure to come back after you watch than one second season episode. You'll know it when you see it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
When people say that they don't like Season 2, they're generally just talking about the latter two-thirds of Season 2. If you love Season 1, you'll love the first third of Season 2.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I've been binging through Chuck, it was a bit of a slow-go at first but season 3 is really picking up speed with Chuck shooting Shaw, and Not-Seth-Green becoming part of the team.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That increase in speed? That's the toilet flushing.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
Man, rarely have I seen a bigger drop in quality from season to season than with Lie to Me.

I really, really liked the first two seasons. The main characters help out the FBI quite a bit in the first two seasons but for reasons that are barely explained, they suddenly hate the FBI at the start of season 3 and cut all ties. Also, the main hook of the show, them being able to perceive people's true emotions by reading microexpressions, body language, etc, is almost completely ignored in the third season. It's suddenly a detective procedural where the detectives are not only not law enforcement, but seem to have no other particular skill that sets them apart.

The show also suffers from what I like to call Scrubs Syndrome, where a main character who starts out as quirky and eccentric develops into a caricature of a human being. Tim Roth was fantastic in the first two seasons as the abrasive, arrogant and 'in your face' Cal Lightman. In the third season, he's one oversized mallet shy of a cartoon character.

It's not wonder it got cancelled mid-season 3.

I've got 3 or 4 episodes left. I'm in no hurry to watch them though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

That increase in speed? That's the toilet flushing.

yeah I understand its up there with LOST as one of those shows spergs got obsessed with but im enjoying it

EDIT: Hahahahahahha holy poo poo they actually blew it up

EDIT 2: Sarah Connor?!?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 9, 2015

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Yeah, I'll have to go back and re-watch Lie to Me as I basically saw it when it came out and can't remember poo poo. But for now, based on everyone's praise of it, I will have to watch Six Feet Under

Edit - And holy poo poo the whole series is on Amazon Prime, gently caress yeah!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mister Kingdom posted:

So it's basically horror Banshee?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Up to episode 5 of Agents of Shield, this is a perfect example of perfectly enjoyable big budget American trash TV

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

bowmore posted:

Up to episode 5 of Agents of Shield, this is a perfect example of perfectly enjoyable big budget American trash TV

It did start to spin its wheels while it waited for the 2nd Captain America film to come out, but after that it got really good. The last 6 episodes of season one were a massive improvement, and that carries on into the first half of season 2.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

It did start to spin its wheels while it waited for the 2nd Captain America film to come out, but after that it got really good. The last 6 episodes of season one were a massive improvement, and that carries on into the first half of season 2.

Agreed on all counts. The wife and I actually stopped watching it because it was going nowhere, but then we got back into it when we saw the second half of the first season on a flight to Spain. It's been pretty good ever since.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I just learned yesterday that Looking apparently has very low viewership and there are some concerns about it being cancelled. That's a goddamn travesty. There aren't any zombies or spaceships or swords, so maybe it's just hard for people to get excited about. Sill, it's just one of the best-written and best-acted slice of life shows I can recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Trig Discipline posted:

I just learned yesterday that Looking apparently has very low viewership and there are some concerns about it being cancelled. That's a goddamn travesty. There aren't any zombies or spaceships or swords, so maybe it's just hard for people to get excited about. Sill, it's just one of the best-written and best-acted slice of life shows I can recall.

Nooooooo!

I have really been enjoying it... the last episode I saw ("Looking for a Plot") was one of the best episodes of TV I have seen in a while.