Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Accusing a woman of looking like a man, joking or not, is bullshit regardless of who it is dude.

If it wasn't pretty obvious that i was just rolling onward with the joke, even tastelessly, you guys need to loosen the gently caress up.

Or put me on ignore and shut up about my posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

If it wasn't pretty obvious that i was just rolling onward with the joke, even tastelessly, you guys need to loosen the gently caress up.

Or put me on ignore and shut up about my posts.

Seriously. This is Something Awful.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Post a picture of yourself, Rhyno. I'm curious to see how the Stallion with a room full of superman toys compares in terms of masculinity.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Madkal posted:

Were there ever any prominent female writers back in the day, or were all the characters being written by men?

bobkatt013 posted:

Louise Simonson

Rhyno posted:

He meant to say "that weren't terrible. "

qntm posted:

"Sorry, due to your poor writing, you count as a man"

Rhyno posted:

Huh. That might explain Gail Simons's burly knuckles.

here's the whole loving conversation for goons who do not understand what "context" means

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

Post a picture of yourself, Rhyno. I'm curious to see how the Stallion with a room full of superman toys compares in terms of masculinity.

I am half the man Gail Simone is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Acne Rain posted:

here's the whole loving conversation for goons who do not understand what "context" means

That still doesn't make it better. :shrug:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Acne Rain posted:

I didn't mean to start this. I was just curious if there were any women writers back in the day.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

sporklift posted:

Seriously. This is Something Awful.

The lamest excuse.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I am half the man Gail Simone is.

There's so many ways this could go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dan Didio posted:

There's so many ways this could go.

I probably have bigger boobs at this point. I don't have a good reference photo of her handy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Avengers 200 is from 1980, and at that point I don't think most of the names being thrown around were writing any comics. Louise Jones/Simonson and Jo Duffy were both hired on as editors in 1980, and started getting writing jobs (Simonson more than Duffy) a few years later*. Nocenti also got hired on as an editor and then progressed to writing in the mid-1980s. Karen Berger was on board at DC by 1980, but she never wrote much that I recall.

In terms of pre-1980, Lee Marrs did some oddball stuff for Marvel and DC, very rarely for superhero books. Linda Fite (Herb Trimpe's wife) wrote a few things for Marvel, but it was usually something along the line of the 'cult' 'classic' Night Nurse as opposed to superheroes.

This is kind of the only way it seems women got writing credit in comics in the 1970s: Laurie Rozakis has some co-writing credits with Bob, Danni Thomas with Roy, Mary Skrenes with then-boyfriend (actually I just realized I have no idea if this is true, it's possible they were just writing partners) Steve Gerber. Marie Severin seemed to be a humor cartoonist independent of John.

There are probably quite a few people I am forgetting who worked primarily on humor/romance/horror/fantasy comics at Marvel or DC prior to 1980, and there's Dorothy Woolfolk who I had no idea existed until recently and is almost unquestionably the most significant/influential female figure in superhero comics pre-1980.

Without pulling up the illustrated map of the MARVEL BULLPEN circa 1981 from Marvel Age (though I probably could if anyone wanted it) I'm not sure who all was in the office coloring or lettering or doing production circa 1980, but there would have been very few women around, and it looks like exactly zero of them were in the production line for Avengers 200. I'm pretty sure even though things are still pretty skewed towards males today, there are relatively few books that could have the same thing said today.

Also on the subject of the other big hot discussion in here, I'll legitimately PayPal a reward to anyone who can find Rhyno's classic post about starting poo poo at the "Good ol' TRU" and trying to take some Transformers toys from some bratty kid who was just going to open them and then got into a fight with a parent and somehow HE'S the rear end in a top hat that got the cops called on him? Either to confirm I didn't dream that, or if it's not Rhyno so I can apologize to him for thinking it was him for the past five years.

redbackground posted:

Point of order, but from what I saw at marvel.wikia.com, Jo Duffy had already written ten issues of Power Man & Iron Fist, an issue of Star Wars, and had co-written 3 other comics when Avengers 200 was published.
I thought that was later, my mistake.

* (Mary) Jo Duffy was hired as an assistant editor in 1979 and started getting writing jobs almost immediately.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 5, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Avengers 200 is from 1980, and at that point I don't think most of the names being thrown around were writing any comics. Louise Jones/Simonson and Jo Duffy were both hired on as editors in 1980, and started getting writing jobs (Simonson more than Duffy) a few years later.
Point of order, but from what I saw at marvel.wikia.com, Jo Duffy had already written ten issues of Power Man & Iron Fist, an issue of Star Wars, and had co-written 3 other comics when Avengers 200 was published.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the most prolific female creator at Marvel in the 1970s must have been Glynis Wein/Glynis Oliver, who was a colourist on just about everything.

I'm fairly sure I once read (either in the foreword to the omnibus or an online interview) that Marie Severin was meant to be the regular penciller on Spectactular Spider-Man around the time Roger Stern was writing it and he was really disappointed when it didn't come to pass.

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
Rhyno, go back to Toys R Us.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Edge & Christian posted:

Also on the subject of the other big hot discussion in here, I'll legitimately PayPal a reward to anyone who can find Rhyno's classic post about starting poo poo at the "Good ol' TRU" and trying to take some Transformers toys from some bratty kid who was just going to open them and then got into a fight with a parent and somehow HE'S the rear end in a top hat that got the cops called on him? Either to confirm I didn't dream that, or if it's not Rhyno so I can apologize to him for thinking it was him for the past five years.

I don't have the post but it was him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Edit: nevermind, not even worth it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 5, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man Rhyno you have some deep, deep issues.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

That still doesn't make it better. :shrug:

Yeah it does.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man Rhyno you have some deep, deep issues.

Yeah I totally took a toy out of a child's hands. Yup, that's 100% believable.

Seriously, going back to the initial hubbub, if you can't figure out the sarcasm in it you can go gently caress yourself dude.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Based on your current behavior it kind of is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Based on your current behavior it kind of is.

Yeah, I make a joke about hairy knuckles, that definitely leads to attacking children.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Simonson's pretty good, btw.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Seriously, going back to the initial hubbub, if you can't figure out the sarcasm in it you can go gently caress yourself dude.

You just threatened to beat up a poster for remembering an unflattering story about you. That you apparently volunteered.

Ya got some issues son.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

You just threatened to beat up a poster for remembering an unflattering story about you. That you apparently volunteered.

Ya got some issues son.

No I didn't. I recalled that others wanted that outcome and decided it wasn't worth bringing up. I never threatened to do anything. Nice reading comprehension.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fair enough,you just said you wouldn't but it is understandable why some would want to.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is an informative thread.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I still can't find this post, but from what I can recall Rhyno is consistent in saying that he never "took a toy out of a child's hands". I think he took them out of someone's shopping cart. Or possibly he had taken ALL of the toys, put them in his shopping cart, and then gotten into it with some kid's parent when it became clear Rhyno was not going to be happy until he left the store with ALL of whatever exciting new Transformer this was.

It's also entirely possible that post was made and the story was at least slightly fanciful. I'm still dreadfully curious about who did or did not want to beat me up.

My favorite "female creators at Marvel/DC pre-1980" is that Francoise Mouly spent a short amount of time doing colorist work at Marvel not long before RAW launched, and allegedly got notes back on like atmospheric night time scenes all the time saying "HEY FIRE HYDRANTS AREN'T PURPLE GET WITH THE PROGRAM"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody cares, you sad person.

(Okay a bunch of people care but they're all loving weird too.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody cares, you sad person.

(Okay a bunch of people care but they're all loving weird too.)

Thank you for at least being able to see that it was clearly sarcasm from the start, even if it was very tasteless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Laughing at weirdos on the internet is fun, sorry your a weirdo.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What in the gently caress is this thread becoming?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Was Taters posted:

Agreed.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

I still can't find this post, but from what I can recall Rhyno is consistent in saying that he never "took a toy out of a child's hands". I think he took them out of someone's shopping cart. Or possibly he had taken ALL of the toys, put them in his shopping cart, and then gotten into it with some kid's parent when it became clear Rhyno was not going to be happy until he left the store with ALL of whatever exciting new Transformer this was.

It's also entirely possible that post was made and the story was at least slightly fanciful. I'm still dreadfully curious about who did or did not want to beat me up.

My favorite "female creators at Marvel/DC pre-1980" is that Francoise Mouly spent a short amount of time doing colorist work at Marvel not long before RAW launched, and allegedly got notes back on like atmospheric night time scenes all the time saying "HEY FIRE HYDRANTS AREN'T PURPLE GET WITH THE PROGRAM"

Holy poo poo, does Rhyno post on Allspark.com, too? I think I saw the same poo poo there.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Take the helldumping or whining or whatever somewhere else. This thread has been derailed with enough whining already.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Was Taters posted:

What Louise Simonson would you recommend? I don't think I've read anything by her.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Vincent posted:

What Louise Simonson would you recommend? I don't think I've read anything by her.

Power Pack, X-factor, and I think her Superman stuff was not to bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vincent posted:

X-Factor and New Mutants.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

Seriously, Power Pack 1-30ish is a really terrific all-ages book and probably the best work that Simonson has done.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I'm more curious what Simonson did that was thought to be terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Was Taters posted:

I'm more curious what Simonson did that was thought to be terrible?

Man of Steel after the Death of Superman is garbage. So is Steel's solo book for the first three years.