Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
I've been using the hell out of Steam's "watch people play games" thing, it's a pretty strong competitor for twitch, especially since it's built right into the client.

Anyway I want more friends so I have more games to watch, add me, steam name same as forums name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Anyway I want more friends so I have more games to watch, add me, steam name same as forums name

You don't need to be friends with someone to watch that person's stream.

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012

A good poster posted:

You don't need to be friends with someone to watch that person's stream.

Oh neat, how do I find people that are online and playing that are not my friends?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Gestalt Intellect posted:

After all that I had some unrelated and unexpected problems getting windows 7 to validate because it was an upgrade-only copy, but my new hardware was incompatible with my old hard drive that had XP on it, while my new hard drive wouldn't let me install XP on it.
There's like 3 different ways to put an upgrade copy of Windows 7 on a fresh drive and get it to validate. Were you screwed out of the internet during the time you were putting together a new PC?

Not mocking you or anything just curious why you ended up going to such lengths.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Oh neat, how do I find people that are online and playing that are not my friends?

Community->Broadcasts to get a general list of active streams ordered by number of viewers, or go to a game's community hub and click Broadcasts to see the active streams for that game.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pre-ordering is good when there's financial incentive to do so, and you were probably going to buy and play day 1 anyway.

I don't regret pre-ordering Shadow of Mordor based off week-prior hype. I got a great deal on GMG, and it was a great game.

I beat Hotline Miami right after it released last year, and some discount is better than no discount, considering it'll be a day 1 buy for me no matter what.

No harm in waiting until the last minute to pre-order though. Retailers discount too much to take it for granted that this is as good as it gets.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
I wish I could pre-order HM2

:australia:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hmmmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sVSy8GuBsI

HMMMMMMM!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

That's not upsetting to hear, it's a completely valid point. The part where someone comes into a thread and says "Hey guys I've watched a ton of videos and this seems like something I'd personally enjoy, I'm gonna buy it" and nine people say "Never preorder." and usually not a single word more, that's annoying as gently caress.

Sounds like pretty good advice I dunno why you have such a negative reaction to it

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Sounds like pretty good advice I dunno why you have such a negative reaction to it
Because it's not really advice. People who want to pre-order something are going to anyway and why goons care so much how other people waste their money is beyond me. It's also almost always followed by the 'why buy anything when you can wait 6 months and get it for half price' brigade.

VVV Now that is actual advice. Which is different from 'Never pre-order anything' which what was the other poster was complaining of.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 6, 2015

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
Lots of people get caught up in a new release and join in with all the people online just to notice months down the road that it's now offered on a significant discount and they have not played it in the interim. Then they get all upset and feel like they wasted money.

Ofc its your money to spend how you want, but if you aren't going to play whatever in the next few weeks you might as well hold off buying it until then bc poo poo goes on sale constantly. :shrug:

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hesh Ballantine posted:

I've been using the hell out of Steam's "watch people play games" thing, it's a pretty strong competitor for twitch, especially since it's built right into the client.

It's really cool that friends can watch without any kind of setup, but I don't think it can really be considered a competitor to Twitch. The top stream right now has 24 viewers. That's nothing.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I don't think people who preordered can't be swayed to cancel, so it's not pointless to mention the disadvantages. There's usually hardly any incentive to preorder and a lot of risk. I've bought a lof of games for full price but never preordered anything, gently caress that poo poo. As the old saying goes, the fool and his money are soon parted, especially when it comes to the "lol it's just :10bux:" crowd.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

So an ultra-stylish Rogue Legacy?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
simcity 5 is definitely going to be good, im going to preorder it

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
The Zelda Souls game is apparently being made by Shadowrun Returns devs Harebrain, I just found out

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

lordfrikk posted:

As the old saying goes, the fool and his money are soon parted, especially when it comes to the "lol it's just :10bux:" crowd.
Yeah this is the kind of attitude that's so weird to me. So you feel smug because you don't pre-order games? There's nothing you own that you couldn't have found cheaper/better for your needs had you just done more research or waited for a few more months.

Go to any mid-level restaurant, any bar, two tickets to a movie and you've 'risked' just as much yet nobody wrings their hands and calls people fools for buying those without some careful screening process. Yet gaming it's some kind of weird shaming process if you think 'looks interesting I'll plunk my money down'.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If anyone's been waiting for Dreamfall: Chapters to come down in price, the Special Edition is currently up on the GoG Insomnia Sale for 60% off.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Peewi posted:

It's really cool that friends can watch without any kind of setup, but I don't think it can really be considered a competitor to Twitch. The top stream right now has 24 viewers. That's nothing.

But on the other hand Twitch is terrible and most of their popular streamers are terrible. Last time I glanced at their front page it was full of chicks with their tits hanging out playing ftp garbage and racking up the views.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I can dig it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The Zelda Souls game is apparently being made by Shadowrun Returns devs Harebrain, I just found out

Seems like it. Dunno how deep it'll go, but that trailer doesn't go too much into the apparent level mechanics, which supposedly shift and reconfigure as you play. As someone who loves roguelikes even I will freely admit most of them have garbage combat, so I hope this turns out alright.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

lordfrikk posted:

I don't think people who preordered can't be swayed to cancel, so it's not pointless to mention the disadvantages. There's usually hardly any incentive to preorder and a lot of risk. I've bought a lof of games for full price but never preordered anything, gently caress that poo poo. As the old saying goes, the fool and his money are soon parted, especially when it comes to the "lol it's just :10bux:" crowd.

Yeah that was definitely the case when Indie Bundles were red hot. You'd buy any of them and quality almost didn't matter since they had one marquee title in it. Considering most of them are unplayable indie messes, I feel kinda foolish for buying into that hype.

I think preordering is fine - its 'riskier' than getting all the information and then making a purchase, but honestly part of the fun is playing a game before anyone has evaluated it so that you're unbiased and have minimal expectations. The anti-preordering thing is just a way for TotalBiscuit to justify you viewing his videos before you make a purchasing order.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
pre-ordering is for broken brain people

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

What I don't get is why mentioning pre-ordering triggers some people into pretend smug laughter at the assumed furure whining. I'm getting HM2 for free money to get a nice little 10% off of it and I'll play it at release. I've never whined about "wasting" money on entertainment because I'm not a baby. The hypeboles and assumptions to make oneself feel good are off the charts though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Palpek posted:

What I don't get is why mentioning pre-ordering triggers some people into pretend smug laughter at the assumed furure whining. I'm getting HM2 for free money to get a nice little 10% off of it and I'll play it at release. I've never whined about "wasting" money on entertainment because I'm not a baby. The hypeboles and assumptions to make oneself feel good are off the charts though.

I mostly pre-order multiplayer games only because after like a month they'll probably be almost entirely dead, or for games that I am going to buy no matter what, like Homeworld Remastered. The rest I just wait for a sale. Even SimCity didn't end up screwing me because of this.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The White Dragon posted:

He's serious, though. Building your own PC is actually pretty easy these days.

Don't buy an AMD display card for SteamOS. It's not a fanboy thing, their drivers are poo poo.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I generally don't preorder because getting burned when it turns out to suck is annoying. I still got Hotline Miami 2 because the first one was that amazing but something like Dying Light could have easily been Dead Island 2 with terrible platforming.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Continuing with the PC building chat, I've given thought to building a PC before, but I don't trust myself enough to put one together without accidentally breaking something or buying parts that don't work. Late last year, I tried to upgrade my graphics card, but it wouldn't work since the motherboard wasn't compatible (specifically, I think it had to do with the BIOS being outdated, but there were no updates on HP that were recent enough to fix the issue).

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Dunno how accurate it is but the pcpartpicker website will tell you if stuff is incompatible and you could tell the goons in the build thread what you want and find out real fast and get called a retard as a bonus.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Palpek posted:

What I don't get is why mentioning pre-ordering triggers some people into pretend smug laughter at the assumed furure whining. I've never whined about "wasting" money on entertainment because I'm not a baby. The hypeboles and assumptions to make oneself feel good are off the charts though.

:agreed:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Darkhold posted:

Yeah this is the kind of attitude that's so weird to me. So you feel smug because you don't pre-order games? There's nothing you own that you couldn't have found cheaper/better for your needs had you just done more research or waited for a few more months.

Go to any mid-level restaurant, any bar, two tickets to a movie and you've 'risked' just as much yet nobody wrings their hands and calls people fools for buying those without some careful screening process. Yet gaming it's some kind of weird shaming process if you think 'looks interesting I'll plunk my money down'.

Those things are cool real life fun things to do and aren't lame shut-in nerd poo poo dude

Orv
May 4, 2011
He screamed into the void of an internet forum.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Palpek posted:

I guess now they get to smugly laugh about actual current whining

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Goofballs posted:

Dunno how accurate it is but the pcpartpicker website will tell you if stuff is incompatible and you could tell the goons in the build thread what you want and find out real fast and get called a retard as a bonus.

I finally built my first PC over Christmas after picking up all the parts during a Black Friday sale. pcpartpicker really does make it easy, as it catches any incompatibilities (your graphics card is too big for your case! your motherboard is incompatiable with your processor!). Then you can just pull the list of parts off the site with a link and paste in the thread for feedback and people will generally tell you if there's any lovely parts in your build.

It really is a great way to save money and get a good gaming machine in the process. It took me a morning to build it and get Windows up and running and that's going at a glacial pace. The only scary part was fitting the microprocessor into the motherboard since that's a bit delicate, after that it's just a matter of screwing/pressing all the parts into position.

If you're willing to do the research but still don't want to built it, I think even some vendors will add an option to build your computer and test it for you for a flat rate that's not awful. Only downside is you have to get all your parts with them and probably lose out a few hundred in savings depending on when you're buying your parts.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I dunno, if HM2 turns out to be poo poo then I'll just move on with my life. You can have an active social life and enjoy playing games you know. Most normal people manage to do it.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Orv posted:

He screamed into the void of an internet forum.

An internet nerd forum that costs as much as preordering Hotline Miami 2, natch.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

I dunno, if HM2 turns out to be poo poo then I'll just move on with my life. You can have an active social life and enjoy playing games you know. Most normal people manage to do it.

I don't believe you

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

hemale in pain posted:

Those things are cool real life fun things to do and aren't lame shut-in nerd poo poo dude
So you've never been to a bad movie with a friend, never had a bad time out, or been to a bad restaurant? Alright well feel free to expand my list until you think of something as lame as playing video games yet has the same possibility of disappointment.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darkhold posted:

So you've never been to a bad movie with a friend, never had a bad time out, or been to a bad restaurant? Alright well feel free to expand my list until you think of something as lame as playing video games yet has the same possibility of disappointment.

The fact that it's easy to make bad decisions with your money in many ways doesn't make it a good idea to do it in another context though? If you preorder you are taking more of a risk than not because you have less information to confirm that you're spending your money well, while buying something after release is still a risk but much less of one because you can have a much better idea what you're getting.

I got incredibly lucky with borderlands 2 given gearbox's track record, but then I still have motherfucking brink sitting in my steam library, mocking me every time I scroll by it while furiously trying to avert my eyes. And the $10 I saved by preordering borderlands is a lot less than whatever I paid for preordering brink (I try to forget), money which I could have saved by waiting a single week to learn that it was a terrible game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Darkhold posted:

Buying wargaming minatures? You don't get the same chance of them not working but the sheer bitter shame and disappointment lasts longer.

• Locked thread