Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I rewatched the episode and now I see where the complaints about Dennis come from. The antics from the rest of the gang are pretty fun here, but Dennis just brings it down. This season they are obviously establishing that he has totally cracked, but it should have been excluded here, or at least an angry outburst instead.

He might kill himself....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Someone else mentioned this as well but the Charlie having been in the survey joke has been done by Family Guy. I didn't love that.

I even figured they'd bring up Family Guy. In their version Peter's odd answer was Picard's flute from an episode of TNG.

A great episode at that. (of Star Trek that is)

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I liked the idea that Charlie thought that the government was conducting the survey with those questions.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I appreciated that Dee decided she wanted to channel Jenny McCarthy of all people. J Mac's got that potty mouth!

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I rewatched the episode and now I see where the complaints about Dennis come from. The antics from the rest of the gang are pretty fun here, but Dennis just brings it down. This season they are obviously establishing that he has totally cracked, but it should have been excluded here, or at least an angry outburst instead.

Yeah I thought the same thing too. They're getting a little predictable in the way they're using him, I knew from the start that Dennis would start off trying to be calm and get the others in line and would end up totally humiliated and fail the most out of all of them and probably be a screaming incoherent mess because that exact thing has happened like three or four times this season, it's getting to be a bit much.

Still a funny episode and a good season but the inevitable Dennis complete breakdown stuff is becoming a little bit predictable.

bbf2 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 6, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't like the direction they have taken Dennis. He almost always seems out of character now. A few years ago he would never have ended up on the floor in a fetal position. He wouldn't have been bothered by the buzzer to the same degree. Oh well.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Yeah Dennis is my favorite character but I didn't like the way they wrote in him this otherwise hilarious episode.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't like the direction they have taken Dennis. He almost always seems out of character now. A few years ago he would never have ended up on the floor in a fetal position. He wouldn't have been bothered by the buzzer to the same degree. Oh well.

Old Dennis would have tried to seduce the stage manager into turning down the buzzer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I really don't like how rushed everything is getting! One of the parts of Sunny that always appealed to me was that they were literally killing time mostly just having stupid bickering exchanges about plans or ideas but what actually got done in the end was hardly anything if they even left the bar at all. Most of the fun were the things they said and their facial expressions/tones of voice. Those get lost with these "event" episodes.

I'm craving another good bottle episode, I suppose. Something with just the gang, all the gang, nobody else and no escape :getin:

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Dennis's arc this season is excellent and is incrementing in a very satisfying way. They're layering in diverse types of breakdowns in his sociopathic tendencies in a very controlled manner that reminds me of the way the layers melt away in the American Psycho novel, complete with bizarre levels of self-awareness that ebb and flow and manifest differently all the time. I'm glad he didn't erupt in a fury of words at the end of the episode, that's been the baseline for too long. He was truly sad to watch.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I disagree that it's out of character. a few years ago, Dennis hadn't been completely broken and embarrassed by the gang (in The Gang Broke Dee) and he was still in power. he always fed off of the fact that he had control over the gang and the past 2 seasons have been showing that erode away little by little. we know he has borderline personality, which is an illness characterized by very intense and uncontrollable emotions (for example - breaking down and curling up into the fetal position instead of just feeling somewhat humiliated in this episode), and BPD people also don't deal very well with rejection (kind of like that big rear end buzzer sound that was telling Dennis what a loser he was)

Dennis has always been terrible at dealing with rejection (like in Fatty McGoo vs. the Aluminum Monster, or The High School Reunion, or The Storm of the Century or the I'm sure dozens of others), it's just that he always had the gang to go back and take it out on, and they always fell in line. now they don't and he doesn't have any idea how to handle it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Do you think.... he's really about to peak?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Brawnfire posted:

Do you think.... he's really about to peak?

Peak? Peak, Brawnfire? Let me tell you something. He hasn’t even begun to peak. And when he does peak, you’ll know. Because he's gonna peak so hard that everybody in Philadelphia’s gonna feel it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

grilldos posted:

Dennis's arc this season is excellent and is incrementing in a very satisfying way. They're layering in diverse types of breakdowns in his sociopathic tendencies in a very controlled manner that reminds me of the way the layers melt away in the American Psycho novel, complete with bizarre levels of self-awareness that ebb and flow and manifest differently all the time. I'm glad he didn't erupt in a fury of words at the end of the episode, that's been the baseline for too long. He was truly sad to watch.

The sad part is that he got all the number one answers, but still failed because Frank had already guessed them. The format of the game literally held him to a standard beneath perfection, and he couldn't handle it.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Aye Doc posted:

I disagree that it's out of character. a few years ago, Dennis hadn't been completely broken and embarrassed by the gang (in The Gang Broke Dee) and he was still in power. he always fed off of the fact that he had control over the gang and the past 2 seasons have been showing that erode away little by little. we know he has borderline personality, which is an illness characterized by very intense and uncontrollable emotions (for example - breaking down and curling up into the fetal position instead of just feeling somewhat humiliated in this episode), and BPD people also don't deal very well with rejection (kind of like that big rear end buzzer sound that was telling Dennis what a loser he was)

Dennis has always been terrible at dealing with rejection (like in Fatty McGoo vs. the Aluminum Monster, or The High School Reunion, or The Storm of the Century or the I'm sure dozens of others), it's just that he always had the gang to go back and take it out on, and they always fell in line. now they don't and he doesn't have any idea how to handle it.

Exactly.

This isn't uncharacteristic of Dennis unless you want the show to just continue on forever with absolutely no changes. There is continuity in this show, it's just slow because the continuity is showing growth (deterioration) of the characters. You don't go full on sociopath when you still have the stink of success (Dennis has been riding the ability to get laid and perceived "god status" he had in HS for call it 10 years when the show began). He's now in his mid to late 30s. Another season or two and he's going to start having body parts in his trunk to complement the duct tape and rope.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

NowonSA posted:

Also I didn't laugh at all at the buzzer, but I guess I just need to watch Sunny more often.

I didn't laugh that hard at first, but when I rewatched and paid attention to how she hits it, it cracked me the gently caress up. I rewound it like 10 times. She loving sideswipes the hell out of it for no reason and it killed me.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

nasboat posted:

I didn't laugh that hard at first, but when I rewatched and paid attention to how she hits it, it cracked me the gently caress up. I rewound it like 10 times. She loving sideswipes the hell out of it for no reason and it killed me.

it really is perfect

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Aye Doc posted:

it really is perfect

Also funny that she was wearing black and, like, disgustingly skinny in this episode. Props to Kaitlin Olson for doing whatever she had to do to make it look like Dee had starved herself for a few days. Now that I think about it, she probably just did it by starving herself for a few days.

Though tbh I was disappointed we didn't get any gagging noises, and this coming from someone who usually doesn't like when they fall back too much on past gags. (pun intended)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aye Doc posted:

it really is perfect

The best thing is not the swipe but Keegan Michael-Key reaction. Look at that face.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
She's such a gangly uncoordinated bitch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

She's such a gangly uncoordinated bitch.

Your Larry Bird!

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, Dee destroying the buzzer absolutely slayed me. That and Cricket's video appearance.

How is it that every single actor on this show does the most amazing facial expressions in the history of TV acting? Dennis and Dee are the best at this but half the fun in rewatching each episode is looking for that subtle tic, sly smile, wink, or look of horror from anyone in the background.

You know what I'd like to see more of? I'd like more episodes featuring animals. I mean, some of the best episodes feature cats and birds in walls, cats in burning buildings, a cat that was "born on a piece of sheet metal in a pool of gasoline", and of course Mac's immortal dog Poppins AKA the dog that will eat a bottle of shampoo because "he loves that poo poo". Oh, and kitten mittens of course.

I'd also like some background on the old grungy dudes that hang out in the bar. What if those dudes are actually Mac, Dennis, and Charlie reliving their past and we're just seeing their demented reminiscing?! /endFanfic

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

bobkatt013 posted:

Your Larry Bird!

That's okay, cause Larry Bird's an excellent player.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I missed Cricket's video appearance it seems. When was that?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Shadow posted:

I missed Cricket's video appearance it seems. When was that?

Right before they played the "Fast Money" round, I think. They all collectively agree that they really don't have anyone better to go to for those types of things.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I feel like nailing the door closed in the gang squashes their beefs has to be the worst thing they do collectively, but there's almost assuredly past episodes that were worse and I'm sure there's dark times ahead regardless.

Also, a second game of games episode was teased for next season, and now I want to see Dennis in his current psychological state playing it. I feel like Mac and Charlie finally beating him and Dee could be the breaking point for him.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I love how deluded Mac is. Like when he wanted to "round house kick" the car window open. As soon as he fails miserably, he immediately "evaluates the street" and determined, naturally, that he hadn't anticipated the slope of the road.

He's like that 12 year old friend who just can't stop making up skills they have. :allears:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Shadow posted:

I love how deluded Mac is. Like when he wanted to "round house kick" the car window open. As soon as he fails miserably, he immediately "evaluates the street" and determined, naturally, that he hadn't anticipated the slope of the road.

He's like that 12 year old friend who just can't stop making up skills they have. :allears:

He did have a cousin with all those skills!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Ah, yes. My Cousin Stifler.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shadow posted:

This asphalt isn't regulation!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Well, I guess what he said in the episode is true: his performance doesn't represent him. Maybe that's why it seemed a little off or forced.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Sand Monster posted:

Right before they played the "Fast Money" round, I think. They all collectively agree that they really don't have anyone better to go to for those types of things.

I think that was my favorite part about the Cricket thing was when they realized he was all they had lol.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

It's kind of like Mac and his totes not gay thing. Like, there were signs of it that subtly came in and started building up over the series history.

I also lost it at Dee faintfarting.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

So far this season, Dennis has: been diagnosed with BPD, realized his codependency with the group, experienced extreme rage issues, twice completely cracked/melted down in the face of failure (group dating, Family Feud). If this is just Dennis's evolution I guess that's OK but I hope he's building toward something extreme

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Fast Luck posted:

So far this season, Dennis has: been diagnosed with BPD, realized his codependency with the group, experienced extreme rage issues, twice completely cracked/melted down in the face of failure (group dating, Family Feud). If this is just Dennis's evolution I guess that's OK but I hope he's building toward something extreme

three breakdowns, remember his car stuck in the river?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope that instead of blowing the gently caress up they're building up to him actually finding a new source of success and reasserting his delusional dominance.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

steinrokkan posted:

I hope that instead of blowing the gently caress up they're building up to him actually finding a new source of success and reasserting his delusional dominance.

TV is all about shaking things up and then returning to the status quo. I can def see this happening

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
I've loved Dennis' descent into madness this season. I hope it culminates in him being completely out-dennisd. Like he finally finds a girl he loves but she's just playing him all along. What's his absolute breaking point?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Irish Joe posted:

The sad part is that he got all the number one answers, but still failed because Frank had already guessed them. The format of the game literally held him to a standard beneath perfection, and he couldn't handle it.

This is a really good point that I hadn't actually considered. Frank took his role from him, which left him completely unable to cope because he NEEDS things to be strictly structured and can't deal with it when things don't fall in line with his expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

A MIRACLE posted:

three breakdowns, remember his car stuck in the river?

Precision engineered british made amphibious vehicle, to be fair.

I definitely agree that Dennis needs to escalate or get off the pot. The breakdowns are just getting too predictable.