Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Ledgy posted:

I love this room so much

:black101:
not pictured: black guy punching me to death

I've never really thought about it before, but the enemies have some serious guts to just charge a dude wielding a shotgun when they only have golf clubs and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you want something that's like HM but not as good, you could always give the Loaded games a try. Keycard hunts, poor pacing, mediocre edginess. Authentic 90s.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

quakster posted:

If you want something that's like HM but not as good, you could always give the Loaded games a try. Keycard hunts, poor pacing, mediocre edginess. Authentic 90s.

Don't forget the soundtrack by Pop Will Eat Itself. You can't get more mid-90's than Loaded.

VV Holy poo poo, even though I don't remember most of the game I must have made it to the end boss because I do remember that part in ReLoaded.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 8, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

quakster posted:

King Vidiot posted:

Don't forget the soundtrack by Pop Will Eat Itself. You can't get more mid-90's than Loaded.

The first one I remember being a real rear end kicker. I never beat it. The second was easier. The only thing I liked on the second game was the last stage and where it took place which was on top of the final boss, a huge humanoid. You set up bombs on parts of his body and blew it up in a spectacular fashion.

The characters in that game were fugly but in a good way, I feel. Of course being on a prison planet will do that to you.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Hatred looks like Hotline Miami but without the visuals, music, gameplay or underlying commentary. It has drummed a lot of press on its premise but it'll commit the sin of being boring and try-hard. The only novelty is the main character being Nathan Explosion.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Geight posted:

I've never really thought about it before, but the enemies have some serious guts to just charge a dude wielding a shotgun when they only have golf clubs and poo poo.

You could say the same in reverse, really :v:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

abagofcheetos posted:

You could say the same in reverse, really :v:

Oh for sure, I guess it's just whenever I'm playing the game I'm always thinking "this is my only option to kill this guy with a gun or get shot" and I never thought that the virtual faceless russian mobsters would be thinking the same thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Hatred looks like Hotline Miami but without the visuals, music, gameplay or underlying commentary. It has drummed a lot of press on its premise but it'll commit the sin of being boring and try-hard. The only novelty is the main character being Nathan Explosion.

Hatred is seriously just Postal 1 with 99% of the colors removed. A lot of people who compare it with Postal forget that the series started out in the exact same way with literally the exact same premise almost to the word: A guy is disillusioned with the world after being evicted from his house and goes crazy so he goes around his town blowing away helpless civilians until the cops come at which point he shoots at the cops. Postal 2 is what happened when Running With Scissors realized oh wait that's stupid and did something actually entertaining with the series.

Hotline Miami is like that, except the people you are shooting at are shooting back at you (or running straight at your face with golf clubs I guess). Neither HM nor Postal 1 make any bones about your guy being a good person for what they do, but Hatred does by playing up the "they all deserve it" angle, and that's the actual reason why it's dumb imo. It's the context.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 8, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It was a joke dudes.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Anatharon posted:

It was a joke dudes.

There's no joking here! This is a serious discussion only forum :getout: with a comedy front page! waka waka :cheeky:

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.
HLM is legendary but what I've found I mostly enjoy is listening to its soundtrack while walking the streets more.

That music is just superb.

SkyEnzo
Mar 8, 2015

No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter.

Ledgy posted:

I love this room so much

:black101:
not pictured: black guy punching me to death

Cant stop looking at it! Must. Play. Again!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Does anyone know if the vinyl soundtrack comes with the payday 2 stuff?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Does anyone know if the vinyl soundtrack comes with the payday 2 stuff?

The Steam code they give you is for the Digital Deluxe Edition, so it should.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Geight posted:

The Steam code they give you is for the Digital Deluxe Edition, so it should.

Yeah, I would guess it does. But I don't think any of the Payday 2 stuff unlocks until the game and soundtrack unlock, so we won't be able to say 100% until Tuesday.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

SkyEnzo posted:

HLM is legendary but what I've found I mostly enjoy is listening to its soundtrack while walking the streets more.

That music is just superb.

I've listened to almost nothing but Hotline and similar music in my car for the past two weeks in anticipation. My ringtone is Silver Lights and my alarm clock is Hydrogen. It's really good.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Narcissus1916 posted:

If you're just looking for "ordinary guy snaps and starts wrecking people" Falling Down is pretty great. Michael Douglas with a gun generally leads to good movies.

Falling Down is seriously my favourite Micheal Douglas movie. I don't think I've ever seen a more sympathetic bad guy.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

This is the only place in the game that I really use Willem, because it looks cool as hell.
Let's talk about the things that looks really cool to do. Bonus points for gifs.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So who here managed to get the Achievement Whore prize? By which I mean you got A+ on every level except Highball and Exposed, the other achievements being pretty easy to get. I find the Carl mask less useful on levels where there's a dog at the entrance.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Looking at it in .GIFs makes me wish there was a GBA port of HLM.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

moths posted:

Looking at it in .GIFs makes me wish there was a GBA port of HLM.

That sounds interesting but how would the control scheme work?

Shoehead posted:

Falling Down is seriously my favourite Micheal Douglas movie. I don't think I've ever seen a more sympathetic bad guy.

I remember at the end where Douglas's character asks, "I'm the bad guy?" all like :smith:

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
If I order the game from gog.com can I activate it on Steam?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

So who here managed to get the Achievement Whore prize? By which I mean you got A+ on every level except Highball and Exposed, the other achievements being pretty easy to get. I find the Carl mask less useful on levels where there's a dog at the entrance.

I did it by using Zack and preplanning every room because I'm a nerd

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Das Butterbrot posted:

not so much "fighting in hallways" because you can't fight THE PLAGUE, but this is still my favourite "people getting owned in a hallway" scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFW-xb9J1U

that movie is 80s as gently caress and owns really hard. great music aswell.

Sorry, the crown for "best movie about people getting owned in a hallway" still belongs to John Woo's Hard Boiled because he does it in a single unbroken 2 min 50 take.

(really low sound volume)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bozxgVQ9m0

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
I am really stupidly upset that iam8bit can't just email the loving codes out if they're not shipping the second batch on time

I just want to play the game I paid for on launch, is that too much to ask?

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I have Get A Life but not Achievement Whore, but my approach for A+ing everything was usually to take Carl and turn Hotline Miami into the whack-a-mole game from hell, just knocking em all down and drilling one, knocking em down again and drilling another... This technique is less effective now that you can be shot while drilling someone's head in, though. It used to be surprisingly safe because the long animation would all but ensure an enemy would empty their weapon while you were invulnerable, leaving them helpless.

You'll usually get an A+ and the rank of Sadist, both of which are lofty goals. :getin:

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

cosmin posted:

No.

This applies to literally every game GOG sells.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

John Dough posted:

Sorry, the crown for "best movie about people getting owned in a hallway" still belongs to John Woo's Hard Boiled because he does it in a single unbroken 2 min 50 take.

(really low sound volume)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bozxgVQ9m0

Ffffffuuuuuuck, how could I have forgotten to mention this? I will consider killing myself for this disgrace. Possibly with a shotgun blast that sends me flying back 20ft though a plate glass window. That actually sounds like a pretty baller way to go.

cosmin posted:

Delusibeta posted:

No.

This applies to literally every game GOG sells.

Yep, they mean "Completely DRM Free"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

cosmin posted:

No, but if you buy it from Humble Store you'll get a DRM free version and a Steam key.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I think Assault has to be one of my favourite levels in HLM1 (Excluding the disco, obviously). You really feel that things have come to an absolute boil and as the penultimate level for Jacket's arc, it's a really sick ramp up to the final level.

The level requires you to rely almost entirely on guns, which gives the level an incredibly tense feel because death comes extremely swiftly. Knock Knock, the track used for the level, fits a full-front assault on a police station fantastically, with the insidious thumping tone and the catchy wubba-dubba-dub-dub in the background setting the scene wonderfully for unmitigated cop slaughter. The fact that it's not a phonecall mission makes it incredibly badass because the carnage he reaps is entirely of his own volition, he's so pissed about what's happened that nothing's going to stop him.

Seeing the chief of police boarded up in his office, clearly scared shitless by Jacket, is a real holy poo poo moment. People clearly know what he's capable of and know that they're not going to be able to stop him. I almost feel bad for Richter in his cell who can do nothing but wait and listen.

E: level level level level level

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 8, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Songbearer posted:

the catchy wubba-dubba-dub-dub in the background

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Woah, you go big guy!

Then you shoot said big guy a bunch with the shotgun and he still kills you with one punch god drat it

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015
I really think Knock Knock does a better job of showing off how loving pissed Jacket is at that point than the actual track in the gamed named Vengeance.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The square floor with four cubicles in Hot n' Heavy is a total bitch to play every time . There's minimal cover, dudes with guns, and dogs. That has to be my least favourite level.

I hope in the sequel the boss fights are less strict. The fat guy and the Biker give you ample knowledge beforehand but the Mafiya guy took me over 20 tries on my first playthrough. There's no room for expression and no mask is any use except for the Hare.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If I remember right they said 2's not going to have boss fights at all.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm alright with that. Hotline Miami isn't really suited for bosses.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Maybe I'm just a sick gently caress but looking back, I actually enjoyed figuring out and finishing the boss fights in HLM1.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Maybe I'm just a sick gently caress but looking back, I actually enjoyed figuring out and finishing the boss fights in HLM1.

Nah, I'm actually the same. I really enjoyed the final boss and actually thought it was quite easy, seemingly unlike most people.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Accordion Man posted:

If I remember right they said 2's not going to have boss fights at all.

Suits me fine. I think that boss fights in most games that aren't designed around them are kind of an artifact now. I hate games that have really fun, solid core gameplay and then they throw a boss at you that slows things down but doesn't actually add much to the game.

HLM1's bosses weren't bad at all, mind, but that was because they didn't take long to do. They were just a little more cerebral, and given that the game is basically one big combat puzzle anyway they weren't too obtrusive. The real "boss level" of the game was the hospital and I hope we don't face anything like that in the new one.

I didn't even find that level a problem, but a lot of my friends did and some were put off to the point that they didn't get to see the last third of the game, which is really disappointing to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I didn't even find that level a problem, but a lot of my friends did and some were put off to the point that they didn't get to see the last third of the game, which is really disappointing to me.

I don't mean to sound like a dick when I suggest that this sounds more like a problem with your friends than an issue with the game itself.

A few challenging levels at various points in HLM doesn't mean they need to dumb the difficulty down or remove set piece stages so more people can complete it, if that's what you're suggesting.

• Locked thread