Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OwlFancier posted:

Be careful where you buy supplies, markets with high stability will charge a lot for them, as will markets with trade disruption happening.

Ideally you should be buying them for about 50 bucks each, from really unstable decivilised planets.

$50?!? I have only seen them in the thousands and avaliable in the tens or 50 on the black Market. Has something gone terribly wrong with my game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

oohhboy posted:

$50?!? I have only seen them in the thousands and avaliable in the tens or 50 on the black Market. Has something gone terribly wrong with my game?

The base price of supplies in vanilla Starsector is 100c per unit, and it only goes up from there unless there's a glut (which is not terribly common). I don't know where he's getting 50 from.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Holy cow this game got fantastic while I wasn't looking. With multiple systems, a more full trade system, and Combat Readiness it's a really great game.

Couple stupid questions though: What do I need to do to reduce the tariffs? I love them, but I can't make any money because of Space Obama the tariffs.

You can make mad bank on the black market, which bypasses tariffs completely, and there are also a few runs that are pretty profitable even with the tariffs. Watch the news bulletins. Planets that aren't getting any trade fleets because of war or whatever will get 'Trade Disruption' events that massively jack up the prices on needed imports and massively reduce the prices on exports that nobody is buying anymore. There's a pirate-controlled planet called Umbra in Diktat space, for example, that almost never gets trade fleets because the Diktat's fleets keep killing them; as a result, it pretty much constantly has shortages of needed goods and the Trade Disruption event. It regularly sells Ore for $1 per unit or Volatiles for <$10 per unit, and depending on which fleets have gotten through recently, will be offering completely outrageous buy prices on Supplies, Food, Fuel, or Hand Weapons. I became obscenely rich as a blockade-runner hauling food and guns in (selling them on the legal market to avoid the relations hit from smuggling), and was able to turn a healthy profit on the return run too because of how cheap their exports are. There are bound to be other planets in similar situations.

If you want to be an rear end in a top hat, you can also intentionally create trade disruptions by destroying trade fleets coming to/from a planet, although you should be careful not to destroy fleets belonging to the same faction as the planet, because then you can't take advantage of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cathair posted:

The base price of supplies in vanilla Starsector is 100c per unit, and it only goes up from there unless there's a glut (which is not terribly common). I don't know where he's getting 50 from.

Maxios in my game sells them for about 50 on the black market fairly regularly I think? Maybe they just have constant trade events which push the price down.

Only event is smuggling which is giving -5 stability. Low stability systems get reduced prices for all their inventory.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 6, 2015

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Cathair posted:

Jangala station in the Corvus system has them for much less than that. Fuel and supplies are typically both well-priced there, which is why it's my go-to station for stocking up.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Maxios in my game sells them for about 50 on the black market fairly regularly I think? Maybe they just have constant trade events which push the price down.

Only event is smuggling which is giving -5 stability. Low stability systems get reduced prices for all their inventory.

Fair enough. When I say 'base price' though, I'm not saying that's what they are commonly are in my game, I literally mean that's what they're listed at in commodities.csv in the game's data. Market forces will affect this of course, but unless you fly with quite a few extra freighters you won't always have the luxury of buying them at the best price.

Edit: Personally, I've been playing SS+ and I'm lucky to get supplies at the base price, much less below it. SS+ doesn't modify the base price, maybe it makes some tweaks to markets to make supplies more rare? I'm not sure.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 6, 2015

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is there a site or something for SS+? I'm getting decent at the game now (I learned that Frigates aren't as awful as I first thought). So I'd like to experiment with some of the other mods and such. Is it pretty much the normal forums?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah, it's under the official forum's mod section.

Cathair posted:

Edit: Personally, I've been playing SS+ and I'm lucky to get supplies at the base price, much less below it. SS+ doesn't modify the base price, maybe it makes some tweaks to markets to make supplies more rare? I'm not sure.

The nice thing about supplies in SS+ is that there's all sorts of events that can mess with economies, such as Templar crusades and Imperial sieges. Sieges in particular just loving wreck planets such that you can go there afterwards and get supplies for less that 20 credits.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 6, 2015

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

SquadronROE posted:

Is there a site or something for SS+? I'm getting decent at the game now (I learned that Frigates aren't as awful as I first thought). So I'd like to experiment with some of the other mods and such. Is it pretty much the normal forums?

Yes, it's in here, look for 'Starsector+ Vanilla Enhancement Mod'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cathair posted:

Fair enough. When I say 'base price' though, I'm not saying that's what they are commonly are in my game, I literally mean that's what they're listed at in commodities.csv in the game's data. Market forces will affect this of course, but unless you fly with quite a few extra freighters you won't always have the luxury of buying them at the best price.

I just started SS+ so I can't advise much, but I will say that you don't need to go looking for places that sell them at low prices, because worlds will tend to have quite er, stable, stability ratings. Maxios is always terribly unstable because it has no stabilizing forces, is frequently raided, and has a number of built in destabilizing forces, which you can see at the top right.

There are similar worlds out there, many pirate worlds are likely unstable as they also suffer lots of destruction to their trade fleets (though this can also result in high prices for supplies) and many small, underdeveloped worlds will be quite unstable.

Large and developed worlds are very good for making sure you get goods, and getting high end goods, but you will pay a lot more for them there. It pays to operate near to a low stability world until you can build a stockpile of supplies.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Just started SS+. Pretty cool.

It seems like I have little choice but to pick on independents when starting though. Pirate fleets are just not plentiful enough. I've gone to a few different bounty systems and they're usually pretty clean of people they hate, unless the things they hate in their system are the giant Hegemony invasion fleets, which I can't do that much about.

So I've been knocking off indie fleets and the occasional pirate. And now the pirates, indies and Diktat (killed one of their ships and now we're blood enemies apparently) have posted a bounty on me. A decent one. I'd take it.

Is there any reason I shouldn't be mugging the indies? They really seem like the only viable target in the beginning.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I want to play more SS+ but I simply can NOT find any tri-tach ships for sale. They have like, one loving station with an actual tri-tach faction purchase tab. So I sort of gave up.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Backov posted:

Just started SS+. Pretty cool.

It seems like I have little choice but to pick on independents when starting though. Pirate fleets are just not plentiful enough. I've gone to a few different bounty systems and they're usually pretty clean of people they hate, unless the things they hate in their system are the giant Hegemony invasion fleets, which I can't do that much about.

So I've been knocking off indie fleets and the occasional pirate. And now the pirates, indies and Diktat (killed one of their ships and now we're blood enemies apparently) have posted a bounty on me. A decent one. I'd take it.

Is there any reason I shouldn't be mugging the indies? They really seem like the only viable target in the beginning.

A lot of bounties and ongoing rewards are posted by the Indie Faction. If you go after them you lose a huge income source. It's less bad the more factions you've modded into the game though.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Ya, so far with 2 extra factions my genocide of the indies has only been a problem when one of their big fleets catches me. The bounties they offer are pretty drat small, and there's not many of them.

The worst thing happened. Tri-Tach had a Medusa in stock, and I was just short of the rep needed to buy it. So I went and killed some pirates. Got back, out of stock.

Layaway it for me you bastards!

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
Two questions: can you change your flagship without shuffling them around in storage, and can you discard crew in space? lost some ships and now I can't move due to having way too many crewmembers, you can't discard them from the inventory screen...

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

TacMan posted:

Two questions: can you change your flagship without shuffling them around in storage, and can you discard crew in space? lost some ships and now I can't move due to having way too many crewmembers, you can't discard them from the inventory screen...

Click on the portrait of your character by the ship you want to be your flagship. As for discarding crew while in space, I don't see why it would be different from discarding other cargo in the inventory screen.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

You can't discard crew in space anymore because it's inhumane as hell to just eject dudes into space who used to be your buds

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
HAhaha, I just assumed they got out on escape pods.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

garth ferengi posted:

You can't discard crew in space anymore because it's inhumane as hell to just eject dudes into space who used to be your buds

It worked on "The 100"

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

TacMan posted:

The flagship selector is really hard to miss because it doesn't look an interactive button. It's the portrait of the person in the fleet screen - all but one will have an outline of a person instead of a portrait, clicking the empty one will assign it as your flagship.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

So the Hammerhead is utterly fantastic in assault roles. It has the shields and flux capacity to get in close and do a lot of damage... but I have no idea what the starter destroyer for the Hegemon is good for.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
If you're talking about the enforcer then it's among the best ships in the game in overall usefulness. It's got weak shields like all low-tech ships do, but otherwise it wrecks poo poo with 5 medium ballistic slots, 4 small missile slots, and strong armor. It's also super cheap to maintain and deploy.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

If you're talking about the enforcer then it's among the best ships in the game in overall usefulness. It's got weak shields like all low-tech ships do, but otherwise it wrecks poo poo with 5 medium ballistic slots, 4 small missile slots, and strong armor. It's also super cheap to maintain and deploy.

Also, the burn drive on that thing is excellent. The Enforcer's low speed doesn't matter at all for most practical purposes thanks to that system, it will get you to wherever the engagement is faster than the Core destroyers. You can't nip in and out of range, but you don't need to when every successful engagement consists of decisively crushing the enemy with your overwhelming firepower and armor tanking.

Enforcers are really good, and they only get better the more skills and hull mods you have. Once you have the spare OP to fit Heavy Armor and Auxiliary Thrusters along with good weapons in all your medium ballistics and a full complement of rockets, you've got something like a mini-cruiser, for very little cost and low cr loss per deployment. I also like outfitting them with Blackrock weapons like Ferroguns and/or Gale Cannons for a fantastic sniping platform.

The Hammerhead kind of sucks in my experience. Its firepower is mediocre for a destroyer, it's relatively slow and has no mobility system, and its shields aren't really that tanky but it doesn't have the armor to armor-tank. It's easily beaten by the Enforcer and Sunder in assault roles, and the widely seperated firing arcs for the forward mediums are really awkward for anything close-ranged. It's more of a long-range fire support ship than anything, and personally I think the Enforcer has it beat in that role as well.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 8, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I got a bounty last night: Assassinate the Shadowyards CEO.

I can't do it, as I'll lose too many ships in the attempt (He has a huge rear end fleet), so I'm trying to lure pirate armadas into his, but he keeps wiping them without losing a single ship. Guess it's true when they say the rich have all the nice toys.

Getting to the point where it's too expensive to keep myself going until I can afford to ditch my frigate/falcon fleet and replace them all with destroyers/cruisers, so I'm going to go to town on the independant (which I actually avoided doing this time.) and those three MASSIVE (IE,45-55 plus ships) Shadowyards trade fleets just sitting at their capital.

I've also noticed a bug, perhaps, in my predations upon the Luddites, in that their fleets will literally follow me to the ends of the sector, in hyperspace and even into other systems, just hounding me with no stop.

Maybe my 384,000 bounty has something to do with that?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'd ask this on the official forums but for some reason it always takes a minute to load a page there: why can't I just grab the jre-7-x64 tarball and dump that in starsector/jre instead of switching Java versions for my whole system to bandaid over lovely mod code?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Cathair posted:

The Hammerhead kind of sucks in my experience. Its firepower is mediocre for a destroyer, it's relatively slow and has no mobility system, and its shields aren't really that tanky but it doesn't have the armor to armor-tank. It's easily beaten by the Enforcer and Sunder in assault roles, and the widely seperated firing arcs for the forward mediums are really awkward for anything close-ranged. It's more of a long-range fire support ship than anything, and personally I think the Enforcer has it beat in that role as well.

Midline ships actually tend to have fairly high cruise speeds (you can often get them to handle like an oversized ship of the next class down), but they don't have the raw speed or "oh poo poo" blink abilities to deal with something like an Enforcer burn driving into their personal space and often run into an issue where instead of having really good shields or really good armor they are kinda underwhelming in both regards and thus don't have any particularly good solution to dealing with incoming fire.

Part of this is also that the Enforcer is a huge standout with a very similar role.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
So I had a good, terrifying fight with a Hegemony fleet. My 3 Medusas, Archon, Desidinova and 12 or so frigates versus his Dominator, 6 or so destroyers and a bunch of frigates.

We won, but drat that Dominator was scary as hell. I basically had to keep it distracted in my Medusa while the rest of my fleet killed everything else. And then it was a fairly protracted gang-bang to get the Dominator down.

And then I captured it!

The problem: It has roughly infinity guns and I have no idea where I'm going to be able to fit it. I guess leave it parked somewhere and make a shopping list?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

dis astranagant posted:

I'd ask this on the official forums but for some reason it always takes a minute to load a page there: why can't I just grab the jre-7-x64 tarball and dump that in starsector/jre instead of switching Java versions for my whole system to bandaid over lovely mod code?

The former is exactly what you're supposed to do.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
He really should just include an idiot proof way to switch the JRE the game uses. A really simply script or GUI app would do just fine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Garfu posted:

The former is exactly what you're supposed to do.

There's a guide on the forums that has you do a bunch of pointless poo poo first but yeah, no reason at all to even have the jre7 installer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Backov posted:

He really should just include an idiot proof way to switch the JRE the game uses. A really simply script or GUI app would do just fine.

Sure it could use whatever JRE you have installed on your system, but dropping the new version into starsector/jre/ isn't idiot proof enough?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

...to bandaid over lovely mod code?

It's not the modders' fault the core game has no way to elegantly switch memory allocation/little dev time dedicated to optimizing memory usage.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Arrath posted:

Sure it could use whatever JRE you have installed on your system, but dropping the new version into starsector/jre/ isn't idiot proof enough?

More idiot proof than a script that runs and asks them which one of X JREs they want to use, with a recommendation? Yes. :)

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Yeah, it's the Enforcer. Maybe I'm playing it wrong then, because when I had it, it had 3x assault cannons and would constantly run out of flux capacity and overload.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bleh, got up to neutral with Blackrock then ate a 50 rep hit for killing a Tri-Tach world's relief fleet and selling the good back to them :v:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah, it's the Enforcer. Maybe I'm playing it wrong then, because when I had it, it had 3x assault cannons and would constantly run out of flux capacity and overload.

You can't overload just by firing the guns, drop those shields mister :colbert:

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

^lol, corporate intrigue

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9175.0

There's a restarted fork of Exerelin for those who miss playing it, it's basically the exact same as the old one but with the new campaign features and old features given actual dialog boxes etc. due to the new features.

SquadronROE posted:

Stop relying on shields. The Enforcer is the best destroyer in the game after the Medusa.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah the enforcer is excellent, an abundance of powerful weapon slots, functional shields, burn drive for escapes/entry into combat, it's quite fast for a stone age destroyer, and it's compact and durable to boot. Also cheap.

SquadronROE posted:

The trick with the enforcer is not to try and load up all its weapon slots with high flux weapons, any ship can crap out if you put high flux weapons into most of its slots. What you want to do is take advantage of its number of slots to pack on space-inefficient but powerful weapons. Things that you might think, on a normal destroyer "Well, I only have one or two medium slots so do I really want to spend them on this weapon?" When you're flying the enforcer, the answer is yes, because you have five medium slots.

You can put flak guns on it to make it annihilate fighters and missiles (and save your shield, a lot of the time) and you can get some serious alpha strike capability with it if you stick a bunch of hypervelocity drivers on it, or HMGs seeing as they no longer use ammo. It's not designed to do prolonged slugging matches because it has a fairly weak power plant, but you can get a lot of utility out of it with its slot availability.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 9, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Well also if you Burn Drive into something of comparable size you can probably just go in with shields down and put all your flux into shooting them because your armor will last longer than their ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Well also if you Burn Drive into something of comparable size you can probably just go in with shields down and put all your flux into shooting them because your armor will last longer than their ship.

Yup. There are cases where this will work wonders. It can be hard to get past the Star Trek urge of "Shields up all the time" but the Enforcer has enough armor to take a lot of punishment. Use the shields to soak big HE shots that'll rip apart the armor, like LRMs. Otherwise take those hits on the chin while dishing out the damage, eventually the other ship will overload and you're free to pour fire into their hull, or one of your frigates can swoop in and dump some torpedoes into it, etc. Other times you may want to sit back and harass other ships, just constantly keep them engaged with something like Hypervelocity drivers and watch their flux tick ever upwards. Then go for a full speed burn drive ramming attack :black101: and unleash the assault chainguns or whatever is mounted in the other pile of medium mounts you have.