Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Do what I did, make a w/b tokens deck and find space for 4 soul wardens and 4 souls attendants. My list I'm trying online also has 4 serra ascendants and 3-4 Ajani's pridemate, so it's definitely more soul sisters than tokens but it's actually pretty fun to play against twin with. Also have you tried batwing brume in your sideboard? It's a pretty good anti-twin card that a lot of people don't expect.

Actually if someone wants to make suggestions for the b/w sisters/tokens thing I'm trying out currently, have at it: http://deckbox.org/sets/922059
Haha WOW I had never heard of this card before. I had no idea WB had its own Rakdos Charm tech, I gotta get in on this.

Also of course I am dumb for not even thinking to mention that I'm going to get Auriok Champions when they aren't $15 $18 jesus. They had better be in MM2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Boco_T posted:

Went 2-3 with WB Tokens at an IQ today, where I had to play against Splinter Twin three times out of five rounds. That was fun. I lost round 1 to Infect due to play mistakes in both game 1 and 2 that I identified and hopefully learned from. Lost round 2 to Twin, beat a kid with some kind of aggro deck round 3 when he had a game loss, beat Twin round 4, lost to Twin round 5.

There's another IQ next Sunday and I felt so bad and mad about Twin that I was thinking of benching WB Tokens for a while, but I don't particularly think any of my other Modern decks are up for the challenge of Splinter Twin.

I have Skred Red, Green Stompy, WU Enchantment Prison, and Death and Taxes. I haven't actually had a chance to sleeve and play the Stompy deck yet so I'll probably just bring that for fun, I'll just have to tune the sideboard up to 4 Nature's Claim and 2 Thrun or something.

I play wb tokens/midrange without any sisters and don't have too much of a problem with twin. What's your list like? I found that once I got used to the matchup I made much better decisions in mulligans and such.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How the gently caress do I beat WB Tokens with Affinity? Matchup is annoying as loving poo poo. Doesn't help that the pilot is better at magic than me.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

KidDynamite posted:

How the gently caress do I beat WB Tokens with Affinity? Matchup is annoying as loving poo poo. Doesn't help that the pilot is better at magic than me.

Whipflare! Spell Pierces seem like they'd do pretty good work in that matchup too.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

suicidesteve posted:

Whipflare! Spell Pierces seem like they'd do pretty good work in that matchup too.

Yea, kinda. Those things require colored mana though which is an issue with stony silence on the table. It's just a terrible matchup from the affinity side. I love it and would play it all day.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Again dude, I agree but that's not the idea I was responding too, someone actually argued "every deck would play goyf if it wasn't 200" no one I recall has denied that Modern would open up, be more more accessible, and be better if Goyf wasn't stupid money.

Fair. I probably glossed over the post in question due to the stupidity of it. Tarmogoyf makes me all mad though so you know :)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Went 2-3 with UR Twin at a GPT yesterday. First time I picked it up. My losses were to scapeshift, who is a very good player. g1 I hosed up, g2 he slamed a teferi on me on my EOT and I knew he has the scapeshift, I had all sorts of counters but he had a remand. There was no way to work it out that I could prevent the Teferi from sticking and also have enough mana up to try to counter the scapeshift.

Lost two rounds to Tron. One GR list and one GW list. I just didn't see the combo for days, and when I did they had to much hate and Emrakuled me out. I think I'm not making good mulligan decisions against Tron, I kept hands with some removal and lands and an exarch/mite, but I really feel like you just want remand and the combo. Ah well, first time really testing the deck in paper and it felt good. Beat burn and 8 rack. Going to be running it at Eternal Extravaganza this weekend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
GW Tron is a new one, what were they running in that?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

C-Euro posted:

GW Tron is a new one, what were they running in that?

Yeah it is a build I've seen around here and there, it is designed to give tron a better game vs. infect and burn. Maindeck it swaps 4 groves for 4 ravorverge thickets. It runs 4 maindeck paths instead of sweepers. it also runs some white sideboard cards, ghostly prison and timely reinforcements.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpvan15/day-2-archetype-exemplars-2015-02-22

Some of the decklists from day 2 GP Vancouver, you can see the 53rd place list was a GW tron. The person I played against was not running Ugin, but the lists are probably fairly close otherwise.

I lost because of not drawing the combo for a zillion turns, i held him off but by the time i was ready to go he had a spellskite in play, and emrakul on deck. I couldn't get rid of the spellskite and keep him off of Emrakul and have enough counter magic to deal with path, which it turns out he had 2 of in hand anyway.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

TheLawinator posted:

I play wb tokens/midrange without any sisters and don't have too much of a problem with twin. What's your list like? I found that once I got used to the matchup I made much better decisions in mulligans and such.
This is the list I ended up running yesterday:
http://deckbox.org/sets/808748

Against Twin I would cut 1 Timely, 2 Sorin, 1 Honor, 1 Hero, and bring in 3 Duress and 2 Sundering Growth.

Some of the losses were due to bad draws, I'm okay with that, and the rest were due to them running me out of removal. One I kept a one land hand because it had 3 discard spells, a Path, and a Cut, but then it took me until like turn 4 or 5 to draw my second land.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
legacy is cool

On the other side glacial chasm keeping me at bay and I had 11 cards left on deck

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

gang sines posted:

legacy is cool

On the other side glacial chasm keeping me at bay and I had 11 cards left on deck

Do you store your cards rubberbanded to a soda can or something?

Those look really curled.

It looks like you stuck the jace at least last turn so you should have been able to fateseal a win out of that?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sigma-X posted:

Do you store your cards rubberbanded to a soda can or something?

Those look really curled.

It looks like you stuck the jace at least last turn so you should have been able to fateseal a win out of that?

If they +2 Jace 5 times, then ult, they're still going to have 6 cards in library against their opponent's 7.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
oh he was at 1 that turn and so he couldn't keep the chasm going. he'd been copying it with thespian stage to buy time but had run out of them so i was about to untap kill

and i riffle shuffle my 3000 dollar deck like a nut

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

How are you going to have time to fateseal your opponent to death when you're busy bouncing SFM for that shuffle value?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
also jace was keeping me from dying to double bob. i could have killed the bobs, but drawing four cards a turn feels loving awesome

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gang sines posted:

legacy is cool

Glad to see someone else using the Best Islands Ever. (Anson Maddocks owns)

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Everblight posted:

Glad to see someone else using the Best Islands Ever. (Anson Maddocks owns)

I'm still a big fan of these:

Island discussion ITT

This is the Eternal Thread after all.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Wow those are really cool, what set?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

always be closing posted:

Wow those are really cool, what set?

The Esper lands in Shards of Alara are all great.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Euro or bust:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Come on guys, you're clearly missing one. That Shards one is probably my 2nd favorite.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

There are a lot of cool tsp lands. Maybe I should start nabbing foils.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
besides that island i use the apac great wall plains

trying to pick a swamp, got urza's saga in there right now

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I have a sealed blue pack of the euro lands I can't bear to open. same with the judge foil lands.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The full art cereal bowl islands are the best ones

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

The full art cereal bowl islands are the best ones

This is the most wrong opinion that has ever existed.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
All my eternal decks have alpha/beta basics with matching art. Nostalgia or nothin'.

The only acceptable exception is Chippy Swamp. It's like as pretty as a guru land but infinitely cheaper.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The floating cereal bowls make the most powerful island magic and pour the magic right into your hand

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

There are a lot of cool tsp lands. Maybe I should start nabbing foils.

Time Spiral had some of the best lands.

Ville Valo posted:

The only acceptable exception is Chippy Swamp. It's like as pretty as a guru land but infinitely cheaper.

This is correct.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i refuse to play basics that don't tell me i have to tap them to add mana to my mana pool how else am i supposed to remember what they do

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ville Valo posted:

All my eternal decks have alpha/beta basics with matching art. Nostalgia or nothin'.

The single basic Swamp in my Esper Mill list is a foil copy of this that I ripped from a pack. Worth it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Ville Valo posted:

Alara lands and Ravnica lands are the best non-full art lands.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

All this talk of basic lands and no mention of the glorious Mirrodin Plains #289?

I love this art so much.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Serperoth posted:

All this talk of basic lands and no mention of the glorious Mirrodin Plains #289?

I love this art so much.

Nah, the razorgrass (from that very set) is the best:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Odyssey #333 hands down.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

EvilBeard posted:

Odyssey #333 hands down.

Style Guide Violation: Features humanoid character in a landscape illustration.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Plains are either sunflower or wallaby EURO/APAC
Islands are either Italy or Korean EURO/APAC
Swamps, Forest, and Mountain are GURU.

If you use and basic other than those you're just shameful.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

born on a buy you posted:

Plains are either sunflower or wallaby EURO/APAC
Islands are either Italy or Korean EURO/APAC
Swamps, Forest, and Mountain are GURU.

If you use and basic other than those you're just shameful.

to be honest, the Netherlands Euro plains with the windmill is pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

gang sines posted:

i refuse to play basics that don't tell me i have to tap them to add mana to my mana pool how else am i supposed to remember what they do

:agreed:

e: for content, beta basics are the only basics 4 me

though I guess I do have some APAC ones in sneak and show and break my own rule with Portal basics for drafting

• Locked thread