Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tunicate posted:

Your desktop, I presume?

Posting from a browser that looks like this?

That's really not analogous at all. The quest list in Skyrim is on its own screen that you only see when you specifically want to look at what quests you've started or finished. You can end up with a lot of stuff on there, but it's not like it's getting in the way of anything. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Nuebot posted:

Stop tracking it and that stopped happening, I think.

Only way to stop it is to turn the quest in unfortunately. Tracking just puts the arrow up on your compass.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Nuebot posted:

Stop tracking it and that stopped happening, I think.

Anyway I got Majora's Mask for the 3DS and I know I bitched about this before but god drat. The game is so visually dark that I literally can not play it unless I'm inside. Because the most minute amount of natural light renders the whole screen solid black, aside from Link's pale rear end arms. So I can play it at home, or at five AM before the sun rises proper. I really, really wanted to play this game while out and about because I loved Majora's Mask.

You might need a new 3DS, man. I often play at work, with annoyingly bright office light, and have no issues seeing anything. Are your brightness settings set on 1?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Arkham Asylum: Despite a character called the Joker providing constant commentary, he is not given a single funny or entertaining line.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Arkham Asylum: Despite a character called the Joker providing constant commentary, he is not given a single funny or entertaining line.
drat, this guy's almost as crazy... as Theodore Joker himself!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm annoyed that the Joker is always the main focus of the games. So many great, memorable villains, and all the writers can't leave the Joker out of a single game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

I'm annoyed that the Joker is always the main focus of the games. So many great, memorable villains, and all the writers can't leave the Joker out of a single game.
Once Mark Hamill dies this will probably stop.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

ElGroucho posted:

Knight is shaping up to be Scarcrow and new villain centric. I haven't seen any mentions of him appearing.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Knight is shaping up to be Scarcrow and new villain centric. I haven't seen any mentions of him appearing.

thats because he died

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Once Mark Hamill dies this will probably stop.

Mark Hamill wasn't the Joker in the most recent game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They're keeping it under wraps, but the Joker will appear in a Scarecrow nightmare sequence.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Jaramin posted:

Mark Hamill wasn't the Joker in the most recent game.
God, no wonder Arkham Origins sucked so hard.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Alteisen posted:

What is with Resident Evil and lovely characters with daddy issues

This is actually a pretty common thing in games (and literally Biioware's only character arc), since being a huge disappointment to your parents is something 130% of gamers can relate to.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo does Shadow of Mordor not gently caress around. "What's that? You want to explore and find artifacts? gently caress YOU here's 10 billion orks and 40 named captains after you, go gently caress yourself."

I know the combat is fun and the captain system is cool but there has to be some balance between no enemies and a metric fuckton bearing down on you at every moment

OldTennisCourt has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Mar 4, 2015

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Why do some games make you hold the down direction to stomp on enemies? Ufouria is otherwise an excellent game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kruller posted:

You might need a new 3DS, man. I often play at work, with annoyingly bright office light, and have no issues seeing anything. Are your brightness settings set on 1?

That's not natural light. If I worked in an office I could probably play in there without issue because other kinds of light doesn't cause any problem. It's pretty much just the sun. I'm assuming it's whatever kind of screens Nintendo uses because I can use my phone just fine out in the sun and see perfectly, but I bring out the 3DS and can't see poo poo.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

What brightness do you have it set to? I don't think there's a screen in the world that can be seen in natural sunlight at low brightness.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Unfortunately it doesn't play games and you can't use it in the dark :/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

If World War Z is on the screen it's probably better not to be able to see it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The book was ok, though?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
The thing dragging down Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for me is that it is currently just about impossible to get a hold of it. Amazon is sold out of it, and all the local stores are too. It's been going on two weeks now and nowhere has been able to get a copy in. And the few places online that have a copy don't seem to be able to get it to me in time to get the giveaway of the costumes for the Felynes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ChaosArgate posted:

What brightness do you have it set to? I don't think there's a screen in the world that can be seen in natural sunlight at low brightness.

5. I had to check the other day because I was getting annoyed by not seeing things. I specifically brought the 3DS to play because I knew I'd be stuck waiting outside for a while. Turns out 5 isn't good enough.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

The thing dragging down Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for me is that it is currently just about impossible to get a hold of it. Amazon is sold out of it, and all the local stores are too. It's been going on two weeks now and nowhere has been able to get a copy in. And the few places online that have a copy don't seem to be able to get it to me in time to get the giveaway of the costumes for the Felynes.

I normally don't go for digital with Nintendo but I broke down and bought it in the eshop. It came with a pretty rad wallpaper though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
One thing that drags Call of Juarez: Gunslinger down for me is that there's no horde mode. The gameplay is fantastic and arcadey, and the points system is a great way to encourage you to be reckless and keep the pressure on your enemies, which you'd think would be perfect for a survival mode! There's an arcade mode with time attack-related stuff but no survival mode that I can find, which is disappointing!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Holy poo poo does Shadow of Mordor not gently caress around. "What's that? You want to explore and find artifacts? gently caress YOU here's 10 billion orks and 40 named captains after you, go gently caress yourself."

I know the combat is fun and the captain system is cool but there has to be some balance between no enemies and a metric fuckton bearing down on you at every moment

Once you get the Brand ability (plus combat Drain!) the problem is..lessened? But still. Nothing is as depressing as trying to accomplish one thing and suddenly a captain shows up - no problem, right? Then in the middle of your combo with his gang - its another captain! Then another! Then another! Then a warchief shows up for zero reason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Helldivers is super fun but the matchmaking really blows. For some reason they leave in full games but despite how the game is supposed to be cross platform you can't team up with friends on other systems.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

im pooping! posted:

thats because he died

No way that's going to stick though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Space Hulk Ascension not having multiplayer like Space Hulk did and me for not realizing that until after I'd spent money on it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I know this has been brought up many times before, but fishing mini-games are the absolute worst and just show up all over the place in Japanese games. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is pretty bad about this, since unlike 3, it's got multiple fishing quests.

Also a question: I remember when Shadow of Mordor first came out, people were talking about how the nemesis system was going to be severely cut back or altogether scrapped for the PS3/360 release of the game. Does anyone know just how much it got cut?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I know this has been brought up many times before, but fishing mini-games are the absolute worst and just show up all over the place in Japanese games. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is pretty bad about this, since unlike 3, it's got multiple fishing quests.

Also a question: I remember when Shadow of Mordor first came out, people were talking about how the nemesis system was going to be severely cut back or altogether scrapped for the PS3/360 release of the game. Does anyone know just how much it got cut?

I don't have first hand experience but mechanically it's very similar, they just have lower resolution/less character model variables and fewer dialog lines.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
In Halo 4 there is no recourse for an AFK player. You're just stuck with them. It would be nice if you didn't move in the first, oh, forty seconds or so then you'd be kicked.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Bastion is a fantastic game but something that's always, always dragged it down for me is a little issue with the isometric perspective. The perspective itself is cool and they do a lot of neat tricks with it, but the Kid does not move perfectly square on the X axis; his diagonal walk is just a BIT skewed, meaning you have to readjust yourself up and down while you're walking. Rolling diagonally skews it even worse depending on what direction you're moving and it's caused me to fall off quite a few 1x1 wide tiles in my recent playthrough.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tyrannosaurus posted:

In Halo 4 there is no recourse for an AFK player. You're just stuck with them. It would be nice if you didn't move in the first, oh, forty seconds or so then you'd be kicked.
Games in general handle afk players poorly (though usually not this poorly). So many games where as long as you move a foot every two minutes you'll never get kicked.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's a pretty amazing game, but it really slows the game down when in the middle of a mission, I've got to stop every few minutes so some jackass Captain can yell "GraveWalker, blah blah blah." It was a pretty fun concept to individualize the captains and works when they're the mission target or just randomly mucking about the map. But when I'm on my way to kill target X, I don't need all these morons showing up to slo-mo the action. Gotta go fast, because otherwise you get swarmed with hunters, berzerkers, and those drat shield uruks. I've almost died a few times when trying to run somewhere, and the camera suddenly switches to cinematic viewing of these idiots while I'm being mobbed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Elysiume posted:

Games in general handle afk players poorly (though usually not this poorly). So many games where as long as you move a foot every two minutes you'll never get kicked.

Dota actually does have fairly decent idle detection; if you haven't gotten any XP (or died, I believe) in the last five minutes, it counts as an abandon. You get XP from just being near anything resembling an enemy dying, so for the most part it works, since if you're not getting XP over five minutes you're probably doing literally nothing.

Or you're playing Techies, the hero based entirely on mines and traps, who can get oodles of kills while being nowhere near any of the fights. A good Techies player (as much as one exists, Techies is one of those 'popular but not actually good' gimmick heroes) actually has a pretty good chance of accidentally tripping the idle detection, just because he never needs to be anywhere near the fight.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

CJacobs posted:

One thing that drags Call of Juarez: Gunslinger down for me is that there's no horde mode. The gameplay is fantastic and arcadey, and the points system is a great way to encourage you to be reckless and keep the pressure on your enemies, which you'd think would be perfect for a survival mode! There's an arcade mode with time attack-related stuff but no survival mode that I can find, which is disappointing!

Also the campaign has two train levels, which is great! But for some reason arcade mode doesn't have even one...

Seriously, if a game can only have one train level it should be in arcade mode. Fun game otherwise, though. Especially for the price.

--

I bought Medieval Engineers recently. It's an early access game, but my friend assured me the company who makes it is very good at patching regularly. All things considered it's fine, and I was looking forward to making a castle I could run around yelling at imaginary subordinates. Turns out, though, the game has had this glitch since day one that causes structures to weaken or even collapse arbitrarily. The good news is that I looked at their forums and I'm not the only one reporting the thing, which is good that I'm not the only one unable to build exactly the structure you want because the air is too heavy for your poor, weak cobblestone. The bad news is that I haven't seen any of the developers acknowledge the bug, which means it's probably not going to get fixed any time soon. I get that they have to prioritize certain things first, but what good is a castle builder simulator if I can't build a castle?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Bastion is a fantastic game but something that's always, always dragged it down for me is a little issue with the isometric perspective. The perspective itself is cool and they do a lot of neat tricks with it, but the Kid does not move perfectly square on the X axis; his diagonal walk is just a BIT skewed, meaning you have to readjust yourself up and down while you're walking. Rolling diagonally skews it even worse depending on what direction you're moving and it's caused me to fall off quite a few 1x1 wide tiles in my recent playthrough.
I only found this to be an issue in the last level, when they decide to introduce platforming. Presumably as an homage to the other great games that shouldn't have had platforming at the end, but did.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

im pooping! posted:

I don't have first hand experience but mechanically it's very similar, they just have lower resolution/less character model variables and fewer dialog lines.

The 360 and ps3 versions are terrible. Horrible fps and screen tearing and there's so much cut out to fit on the 360 DVD and in memory limits it's a wonder they even bothered instead of pulling a Dying Light.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Skyrim is one of my favorite last gen games. Just wanted to say that.

On topic, the AI in Farcry 4 is so awful that it becomes hilarious. One time I stumbled across some Golden Path members who were just chilling when they heard a gunfight in the distance. They tried to roll out and help their buddies, but decided that their time could be better spent driving in a circle for seriously two minutes.

Speaking of which, the constant random gunfight the two factions get into get reeeaaalll repetitive after about an hour. The country has been in a civil war since the 80's yet the constancy of the skirmishes would suggest that they should've run out of dudes a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

grittyreboot posted:

Speaking of which, the constant random gunfight the two factions get into get reeeaaalll repetitive after about an hour. The country has been in a civil war since the 80's yet the constancy of the skirmishes would suggest that they should've run out of dudes a long time ago.

No, see, before you came along nobody except Pagan Min and the leaders of the Golden Path actually cared about the whole civil war thing. So from time to time the grunts would meet up, shoot their guns in each others' general directions, and then go back home and say they won. It's not until you arrive to start your rammurderpage across the nation that actual casualties start piling up. You monster.