Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Neruz posted:

Death Bless damage is I think 2 AN MR Negates damage (which may also have an affliction chance), Fire Bless is straight AP 6 fire damage.

I guess you could making an argument for possibly favouring D9 over F9 in Late Age where everyone has plate armour and crossbows and is a MR10 human? That's if the Undying minor was as good as the +4 attack minor, and it isn't, probably not even on the undead sacreds who'd really benefit from it (and those are basically Supayas and maybe Shadow Vestals)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
But you can argue that during the time a sacred is techincally dead thanks to Undying 10, he can do more attacks which makes up for the +4 attack? You can also get D9F4 quite cheap, so death weapons and +2 attack can make you hit stuff quite often.

Against a unit with 8 protection and 10 MR, Death weapons and Fire weapons deal about the same damage. So even EA levels of armour can prevent Fire weapons from dealing tons of damage. Here is a quote that sums Death vs. Fire weapons up nicely:

"Desura posted:

Things get a lot worse for death weapons as the defender's MR increases. Again supposing that death-weapons have penetration of 12, versus MR 16, the attacker will pass the penetration check only 24% of the time, which makes their resulting 13% chance of dealing at least two damage be very similar to fire weapons 14% chance of dealing at least two damage versus armor 20. If the defender has MR 21, then death weapons will pass only 6% of their penetration tests, which makes them equivalent to fire-weapons versus armor 30. If the defender has MR 25, then death weapons will pass only 2% of their penetration tests, which makes them equivalent to flaming weapons against armor 38. This means that death weapons' MR check can be a really big deal -- the rough equivalent of giving an opponent a huge armor boost -- much larger than you ever see in game -- against a merely armor-piercing weapon like flaming weapons.

Death weapons is good if a target has low MR and gives no damns about protection, fire weapons gets better the lower the targets armour.
Fire weapons can be countered by fire resist or high protection, Death weapons are countered by MR. Death weapons seem like the go-to against Ulm or Undead, while Fire weapons are good against naked units.

So uh, if my math is right, if you were to hit Hinnom's sacreds with D9 weapons, you should be able to get that 2 damage through 33% of the time and disease him. If you have 3 sacreds per square, that damage is getting through, fire weapons would do nothing here.

The 2 damage seems like nothing, but I think it adds up. 6 damage from fire weapons seems better because it's a higher number, but it will amount to almost the same as death weapons when hitting someone in furs. Like jaguar warriors. Yeah. And like with all damage types, that 2 armor ignoring damage can explode upwards and be much more, and is not reduced by protection.

In summary I think it's a wash, both blesses can be countered later on, I believe both are pretty potent. D9F4 from a Demilich is pretty cheap and should be quite lethal.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 6, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The main issue with Death Weapons is the MR thing; most good units have decent MR.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Most good units have decent protection too.

EDIT: I don't think there is a clear winner here. I think the bonus attack from F4/F8 might be worth more than the actual F9 or D9 major bless and they are just icing on the cake.

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 6, 2015

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
With the attack boost from F9, there are very few situations where it's the weaker offensive bless. D9 does combo nicely with N9, though.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I always thought D9 was absolute rubbish and I should never take it, but after looking at the numbers, I might be taking D9F4 as a bless.

EDIT: Does Life after Death allow my mages to rise back to life with the same paths they had earlier?

M_Bison fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 6, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fire weapons are 8ap not 6. They are really good.

+4 attack is also huge meaning your main attack and the secondary fire attack are much less likely to miss or be parried.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 6, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Fire weapons are 8ap not 6. They are really good.

Nope its definitely 6 ap damage.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

M_Bison posted:

EDIT: Does Life after Death allow my mages to rise back to life with the same paths they had earlier?

Yep. I did this when I couldn't cast Fire Fend on my army. All my Airya Seraphs burned to death in my own Fire Storm but it's fine because their zombies live on for the next battle :smug:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Neruz posted:

Nope its definitely 6 ap damage.

Ah right it was 6 for weapons 8 for flaming arrows. Still due to how RNG works and the +4 attack fire bless is very powerful against unresistant troops with reasonable prot values.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You nerds are forgetting D9 is a hell of a lot better than F9 on your pretender

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

You nerds are forgetting D9 is a hell of a lot better than F9 on your pretender

F9 is quite powerful on a pretender and I wouldn't mind either one. In isolation I'd probably take F9 first.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
:siren: Newbie game is up! :siren:

If you got the game on sale or just don't have much experience under your belt then get on in! You've got just about a whole week to learn the game, register, and get a pretender uploaded so no excuses! Details below.

-Name: "Dom on Sale"
-Early Age, random map, throne victory
-Game Starts: By end of day Thursday, March 12th
-12 player maximum, nations are first come first serve!

If you need help figuring out how to join the game or make a pretender hop in the IRC. Please don't claim a nation before you're sure you want to play them because it's a pain in the rear end to change.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 6, 2015

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Can rushing enchantment be viable for non-skelespam natoins? It seems like MA Pythium would benefit enormously from Gift of Health with all their old, frail mages and powerful summons, but I don't know what else they'd get from it. Would it be doable to research Evo 5 to spam Stellar Cascades and let that carry you to Ench 7?

I love MA Pythium but I feel like they need so much research to make things work that I don't know where to start sometimes.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Enchantment was really good for getting your carrion factory going as Pangaea in dom3, I don't know how important it is for Asphodel though

Strength of Giants can be pretty important though

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
It's really important to get some undead wranglers

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
A while back I made a little mod that lets the Miraculous Cureall Elixir heal any affliction, not just diseases. It's here if anyone wants it - Really Miraculous Cureall Elixir

also kitfox i have a present for you

Download

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
a fire-random arch theurg and two pals can communion up some insanely sick flaming javelins

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Jabarto posted:

Can rushing enchantment be viable for non-skelespam natoins? It seems like MA Pythium would benefit enormously from Gift of Health with all their old, frail mages and powerful summons, but I don't know what else they'd get from it. Would it be doable to research Evo 5 to spam Stellar Cascades and let that carry you to Ench 7?

I love MA Pythium but I feel like they need so much research to make things work that I don't know where to start sometimes.

Enchantment has some nice toys for Air nations. Cloud Trapeze is a staple if you want to go thugging with Vanjarls (or even a2 mages loaded with gems to make elementals, as I have painfully learned), and Mass Flight is incredibly strong. Unfortunately that comes really late at Ench 7, and the counter to it is only at Evo 5, so you can't really rely on it to get you through the midgame like you could by just picking up Storm and Thunder Strike. It's useful but I wouldn't rush it as a non-Death nation. Pick up your staple spells first, and after that probably get some requisite 4s in things like Construction and Conjuration to round out your toolbox. Then I'd think about going up to 6s and 7s in some useful schools, but likely not before.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A pair of screenshots of the Bogarus game I finished this week.

(100 Astrapelagists)

(last fight so I threw a bit of everything, mundane units, summoned magical units, undead, demons, the Pretender, tartarians, an archdevil and a king of elemental fire)

I discovered a bug with the AI, it will attack a sieged province depending of the owner of the province, without taking in account the owner of the army sieging the fort, so it will provoke a new war between nations by mistake.

Also I'm trying to discover some nasty trick with EA Agharta but... they are so straightforward:
-use Earth magic.
-use Olms.
-use your great national summons with gems.
-break the seal if you can.

Anything more... advanced?

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 8, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

TheDemon posted:

2. The exceptions that are OK and encouraged in this thread:
- ONE announcement of each new game
- ALL strategy discussion, including game-specific strategy questions
- ALL post-mortem talk be it post-mortem for your nation or the game as a whole

Post-Mortem for we are the dinosaurs

tldr; I made a kinda bad pretender for MA Agartha with an equally bad name but managed to win via being the only one willing to stick the game out to its overdue conclusion

Extended Summary: I like the idea of MA Agartha statues with a nature bless. This was a pudmod game.

Misfortune 2 bit me in the rear end early on because I had two provinces taken by knights and a province taken by forest trolls before the start of the second year. One of the knight events popped right on top of my rerouting expansion army and wiped it out. I don't think I'll ever take Misfortune 2 in a common-events game ever again. Cold 1 was also a bad call, no idea why I decided that would be better than Heat. Though by MA Agartha doesn't have many cold-blooded units, there are still enough to make a difference.

After my expansion went south I reached out to Vanarus who agreed to team up with me and take out Ulm, who was infringing on my cap circle. Vanarus did most of the work and got most of the spoils, but I managed to get some provinces out of the deal. Shortly thereafter I was attacked by Pythium, and I, thinking I was doomed, dumped most of my gems into a desperate defense. We agree to peace after I fended off a fort siege by summoning up a good batch of Sentinels and buffing them with fire resist using fire gems to boost the casting ability of my golem crafters. Bandar Log went AI somewhere in there too, I don't even remember now it's been so long since the game started.

Vanarus being by far the largest nation in the game at this point, he then disappeared and went AI. Pythium rose to be the next dominant power, started staling. This quickly cascaded into the other players going AI, presumably out of boredom, and it turned out I was the only one willing to sit out the game to the end, wiping out the AI but not finishing off the immobile pretenders trapped in their capitals.

(blank nation is LA Pythium, transplanted to MA by pudmod)

Moral of the story is that if you join enough games and are willing to take the minimal effort required to stay in the game past turn 90 or so you have a decent chance of winning one once in a while when the other players get bored and leave. I was a legitimate power at the end, with Earth Blood Deep Well giving me E6 + two earth booster pretender enough gems to cast Hall of Statues every turn (and N9 Sentinels in that quantity are no joke, especially in Agartha's dominion), but for most of the game I was rather weak and vulnerable due to my atrocious start.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Turin Turambar posted:

Anything more... advanced?
Theoretically you could do something like the elf nations where you raid every province at once but replacing the elf thug with a black servant with a rod of the leper king and leading a bunch of pen/umbrals. Will cost you a million death gems however.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Jabarto posted:

A while back I made a little mod that lets the Miraculous Cureall Elixir heal any affliction, not just diseases. It's here if anyone wants it - Really Miraculous Cureall Elixir

also kitfox i have a present for you

Download

It's beautiful, oh my god. :worship:

Magil Zeal posted:

Post-Mortem for we are the dinosaurs

It's great because I got to lose twice, once to a bless rush by flame as assdod b/c LA man can't deal with regenerating giants with magical weapons and then again because I was tired of taking turns on a huge huge nation. :v:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

I think I'm done with this mod, can't think of anything cool to add. Now I just have to get good at the unmodded game so I can balance it.

http://www.dropbox.com/s/pur7guv5lpliqmd/sovirus1.9.rar

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
You can't have a soviet russia nation without T-54s :colbert:

Also lots of cheap but super inaccurate artillery.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Neruz posted:

You can't have a soviet russia nation without T-54s :colbert:

Also lots of cheap but super inaccurate artillery.

I have a tank and artillery although it's meant to be more WW2 era than Cold War (NBC suited infantry excepted)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Enjoy posted:

I have a tank and artillery although it's meant to be more WW2 era than Cold War (NBC suited infantry excepted)

T-34 then :v:

Key for the artillery should be absolutely terrible precision, but relatively cheap and massable since one of the hallmarks of Soviet artillery in WW2 was they had absolutely terrible accuracy and lovely spotting but compensated for that by just using five times as many guns because if you throw enough explosives at an area eventually you'll hit something :black101:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

If you don't have Katyusha trucks you're not doing it right.

Bow of War + LA TC fearbows + poo poo precis + aoe 1 explosion

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
Finally got around to sign up so I can play goongames because none of my friends ever want to play with me. So sad.

That said I am super bad at this game but I'm willing to fight to the bitter end so I guess that counts for something? I'd love to sub in for a game or two first, though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bacchante posted:

Finally got around to sign up so I can play goongames because none of my friends ever want to play with me. So sad.

That said I am super bad at this game but I'm willing to fight to the bitter end so I guess that counts for something? I'd love to sub in for a game or two first, though.

Why do you want to sub first?

e: If it's because you think you'll embarrass yourself or something then stop being silly and just dive right in. You'll do a lot better with a nation you picked and guide from the start then an unknown entity handed to you mid game by someone who was probably losing anyway. In fact there is a noob game getting ready to start already called "Dom on Sale". Everyone in there will probably embarrass themselves so it's perfect, and there is one slot left. Take that slot right now but just don't take it as a underwater nation.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 10, 2015

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Why do you want to sub first?

e: If it's because you think you'll embarrass yourself or something then stop being silly and just dive right in. You'll do a lot better with a nation you picked and guide from the start then an unknown entity handed to you mid game by someone who was probably losing anyway. In fact there is a noob game getting ready to start already called "Dom on Sale". Everyone in there will probably embarrass themselves so it's perfect, and there is one slot left. Take that slot right now but just don't take it as a underwater nation.

Because all the games I've played in died by the midgame, so I'd like to get in some mid-to-late practice; even if it's in a potentially doomed slot.

e: fuckit, joined the noob game. Time to make a fool of myself, yay.

Bacchante fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 10, 2015

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

4chan steam group for dom4 posted:

-⑨- Dipsomaniac_Destroyer: lol if you don't have enough pd to handle barb attacks
Magnnarot: >barb attacks
Magnnarot: >pd
Magnnarot: >100 barbs
Magnnarot: good luck having enough pd for that
-⑨- Dipsomaniac_Destroyer: 25 can handle it
Magnnarot: nope
Magnnarot: that was on cap
Magnnarot: it has standard 25 pd
Jiyva: >not having 100 pd every province
-⑨- Dipsomaniac_Destroyer: fukken lol
-⑨- Dipsomaniac_Destroyer: get a nation with good fort pd then m8
Magnnarot: its a GIANT NATION
Magnnarot: it has good pd

:shepface:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I... don't get it. Maybe I don't understand province defense.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

the joke is Giant PD is basically the worst possible PD to have against barbarian attacks, because giants are Big and that means more barbarians can hit them per turn. Barbarians have lovely defense but huge weapons that do mondo damage.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's also a joke because the Dom3 manual stated that one of Niefel/Jotun/Utgard's advantages was having excellent PD, because they are giants.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

the joke is Giant PD is basically the worst possible PD to have against barbarian attacks, because giants are Big and that means more barbarians can hit them per turn. Barbarians have lovely defense but huge weapons that do mondo damage.

The joke could also be that they weren't kitfox and therefore their failure laid in not having sufficient PD.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

that too haw haw haw

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
PD seems great in theory if it's used as the quickest of quick-reaction forces. I guess it just doesn't work after a point since the generic units are so poor compared to mageballs and main recruits?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The noob game Dom on Sale is full up! Start uploading pretenders and we can get started early folks! At the very least make sure you're uploaded and ready to go on Wednesday because if Thursday rolls in and you're not uploaded we can and will start without you! If everyone uploads before Thursday then we'll start as soon as everyone is in.

Also if any noobs haven't done so bookmark the other thread here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498140. This is where all future communication relating to starting, stopping, pauses, technical issues, and whatever else will go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

And don't be a non-irc fucker.

• Locked thread