Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Always remember he's responsible for The Scorpion. He had a super-villain made specifically to kill Spider-Man.

And the Spider-Slayers, IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Behold the power of the press, that J. Jonah Jameson is thought of 'that guy who doesn't like Spider-Man very much' and not 'Spider-Man villains? Let's see, there's Jameson, Doc Ock, the Green Goblin...'

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bloodly posted:

Always remember he's responsible for The Scorpion. He had a super-villain made specifically to kill Spider-Man.

Excuse me. Scorpion was created to defeat Spider-man.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

Behold the power of the press, that J. Jonah Jameson is thought of 'that guy who doesn't like Spider-Man very much' and not 'Spider-Man villains? Let's see, there's Jameson, Doc Ock, the Green Goblin...'

Y'know what we call people who talk like that?

Menace.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Network Pesci posted:

And he's the only guy in Marvel who can wear that mustache without reflexively getting punched in the face by Captain America.

Dark Reign: Sinister Spider-Man #1

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, I've started watching Arrow, and it's fun. It makes me want to read fun and awesome Green Arrow stories. The only one I'm really familiar with is the Green Arrow and Black Canary books, which I actually quite enjoyed. So recommend me some more stuff!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The most recent arc in Green Arrow is heavily inspired by the show (including being written by writers from the show, one of whom wrote for the GA/BC book that you mentioned) so maybe start there? Green Arrow: Year One is also a pretty good version of the origin, with a villain a TV viewer will recognise.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gaz-L posted:

The most recent arc in Green Arrow is heavily inspired by the show (including being written by writers from the show, one of whom wrote for the GA/BC book that you mentioned) so maybe start there? Green Arrow: Year One is also a pretty good version of the origin, with a villain a TV viewer will recognise.

Is the most recent version just called Green Arrow?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Is the most recent version just called Green Arrow?

Yes, the arc I'm talking about started in #35, though a lot of good things have been said about the run from #17-#34 also.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, the arc I'm talking about started in #35, though a lot of good things have been said about the run from #17-#34 also.

Lemire's run (starts at 17) is great, and I say this as someone whose only prior experience with the character is TV show. It's a little different from the show, but it also introduces Diggle into the comic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And the run from #35 introduces Felicity and Mia/Thea.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Green Arrow v3 was fantastic, and is pretty much the best GA run.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Mike Grell sheds a silent tear.

But seriously his run that begins with 'The Longbow Hunters' is the best.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Kevin Smith has a VARIABLE track record in comic book writing, to say the least, but with Green Arrow he managed to get it right. The Quiver series where Ollie comes back from the dead is one of the best comics series I've ever read, and the one that made me really, really interested in Green Arrow as a character.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Archer's Quest by Meltzer right after the Kevin Smith revamp is pretty good, but outside of a few moments, esp Hal, and Heaven, Quiver rings pretty hollow for me. And Onomatopoeia is a terrible villain,

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Dreqqus posted:

Archer's Quest by Meltzer right after the Kevin Smith revamp is pretty good, but outside of a few moments, esp Hal, and Heaven, Quiver rings pretty hollow for me. And Onomatopoeia is a terrible villain,

I'm referring to the first trade collection especially, up to the end of the initial villain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Redeye Flight posted:

I'm referring to the first trade collection especially, up to the end of the initial villain.

He's very much a mixed bag. He writes Etrigan like a 3rd grader's first poem. But I liked both trades decently enough, and I'm not sure if Oliver Queen would have come back from the dead if Kevin Smith hadn't wanted to write it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skwirl posted:

He's very much a mixed bag. He writes Etrigan like a 3rd grader's first poem. But I liked both trades decently enough, and I'm not sure if Oliver Queen would have come back from the dead if Kevin Smith hadn't wanted to write it.

Hal came back. Barry came back. gently caress, even Bucky eventually came back and he'd been the uber-example of "See? Some characters stay dead!" for decades.

Ollie had been around long enough and had enough street cred comics-side. He'd have been back, Smith or no Smith. Would he have been back so soon? Hard to say, but someone would have remembered how much they liked the old Green Lantern/Green Arrow stuff back in the day and brought him back eventually.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

jng2058 posted:

Hal came back. Barry came back. gently caress, even Bucky eventually came back and he'd been the uber-example of "See? Some characters stay dead!" for decades.

There used to be a saying: "Only three characters will ever stay dead in comics, Uncle Ben, Bucky Barns and Jason Todd"

And I agree, Smith Arrow is actually pretty great. I guess because the somewhat goofy under current actually suits Green Arrow really well as a character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

e X posted:

There used to be a saying: "Only three characters will ever stay dead in comics, Uncle Ben, Bucky Barns and Jason Todd"

And I agree, Smith Arrow is actually pretty great. I guess because the somewhat goofy under current actually suits Green Arrow really well as a character.

Yep and taking a kids character and making him a victim of abuse.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

e X posted:

The version I've seen tends includes Gwen Stacy as well.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

e X posted:

I vote we change it to "Only two characters SHOULD stay dead in comics, Uncle Ben and Jason Todd"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I know one person who's ok with Jason Todd being alive.

Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy are forever dead, that's good enough.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know one person who's ok with Jason Todd being alive.

Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacy are forever dead, that's good enough.

Hate to be the one to tell you, but....

http://marvel.wikia.com/Spider-Gwen

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

jng2058 posted:

Hate to be the one to tell you, but....

http://marvel.wikia.com/Spider-Gwen

Not the same Gwen, though? Spider-man's Gwen stayed dead so I'm not sure if that counts.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

With the big Secret Wars universe-reboot upcoming, who can say?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So what we're saying is we can't wait for Thomas and Martha Wayne to finally come back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Gwen and origin characters aren't coming back they are to important as dead.

Bucky is the only important dead character to come back to life and that is because no one gives a gently caress about Captain America.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

qntm posted:

So what we're saying is we can't wait for Thomas and Martha Wayne to finally come back.

Thomas did in Flashpoint, but that was an alternate universe where Bruce died instead of him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

David D. Davidson posted:

Thomas did in Flashpoint, but that was an alternate universe where Bruce died instead of him.

Martha was also in Flashpoint, remember?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Gwen and origin characters aren't coming back they are to important as dead.

Bucky is the only important dead character to come back to life and that is because no one gives a gently caress about Captain America.

Bucky's return was also very well done.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

Bucky's return was also very well done.

The Winter Soldier is the character DC wish the Red Hood was. (Or that they think he IS, given that he's had an ongoing title until the present day?)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

The Winter Soldier is the character DC wish the Red Hood was. (Or that they think he IS, given that he's had an ongoing title until the present day?)

It's been really good since Lobdell came back. How it made it that far is a mystery to me though because basically everything before that was trash. Maybe it's being ghost written.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
To get the thread back on track with the whole excessive violence front, have some Voynich Hotel.

The protagonist, a gangster who fled with millions of syndicate money, has been caught by the syndicate. His lover is a very old and very dangerous witch.

( read right-to-left )

- Voynich Hotel Day 66

Anime. I'm not super comfortable with the dude's drawing style, but the character at least acts like a mature adult.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Squidster fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 10, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
...Why does his lover look like a child?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

WickedHate posted:

...Why does his lover look like a child?

I suspect you can answer that question yourself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

It's been really good since Lobdell came back. How it made it that far is a mystery to me though because basically everything before that was trash. Maybe it's being ghost written.

dark_tzitzimine you really need to make your sockpuppets less obvious

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also no body and Captain America is awesome.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Also no body and Captain America is awesome.

Wasn't Bucky's death a retcon in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Idran posted:

Wasn't Bucky's death a retcon in the first place?

Yep it was revealed in Avengers 4, and ignored all the issues with Cap and Bucky that had them fighting commies. However, they were able to make gold with it.