Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Radiant quests are terrible and i wouldn't be fond of skill requirements, so id rather they create more quests for the questline to lengthen it that way instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Lycus posted:

I always assumed she is, the dude's story sounds better to me.

Yeah that's basically how I did it. Went in ready to kill them and then, he was just really convincing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Cicero is the best part of the dark brotherhood. If there were a way to make him my companion outside of the dark brotherhood I would've done it. Extra cool if it were done in such a way that we were both unaware of eachother's connections.

I didn't like the thieves guild for all the reasons mentioned, but it would be more satisfying if there were a way to compete with them instead. Get your own thieves guild going, edge in on what remains of their influence, force them to compromise their beliefs until they go utterly mad and just try to murder you outright. Then kill them.

I wish we could have an elder scrolls title that's more aware of itself and what the series has done. M'aiq the liar isn't enough.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I would've done it this way:

1) Destroy the Thieves Guild.
2) Join Guild, do normal questline.
3) Join Guild, side with Mercer.

Ditto for the College, with 3 being sell out to the Thalmor, Ancano becomes archmage.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 4, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
It would've been nice if they had actually completed the College questline and put in all the time travel poo poo they planned.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Actually it probably would have been more boring garbage that you have to trudge through while Tolfdir repeats the word "fascinating" over and over again, despite nothing interesting happening.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Whizbang posted:

It would've been nice if they had actually completed the College questline and put in all the time travel poo poo they planned.

All the guilds quest lines were incomplete. Skyrim was an utterly incomplete rushed product on 11/11/11. I played on PC and it was literally impossible to use the mouse in pause screens, there were no mods that fixed poo poo, no CK, it's easy to see how Skyrim's rushed date on 11/11/11 made it so the quest lines were incomplete. ESPECIALLY the College and Companions. It seems like the companions was just a lazy way to implement lycanthropy like they promised, but it's not nearly as unique as it is in Bloodmoon's expansion to Morrowind.

Basically, I agree with you, but they didn't have enough time. We can only hope that the next game is under much more development before announced (they started Skyrim in 2008), but based on the massive AAA mainstream success of Skyrim, it's likely to only get worse. Casuals (which I am rapidly becoming due to having an actual life) are convinced that the story lines in Skyrim are deep and immersive and you actually have choice, but in reality parts of Skyrim are actually almost worse than Oblivion. In Oblivion (my LEAST favorite, counting arena), the quest lines were all long (never did fighters guild), there was a proper expansion with DLC instead of pure DLC, and the xpac actually made the game not total poo poo, unlike vanilla OB.

With Skyrim you have rushed quest lines all around, even the Dark Brotherhood is loving rushed to hell, which I have to say was to me the most fun and developed of them all, including the MQ.

The lesson to learn from this all for Bethesda is: If you want to make a good AAA casual action-adventure game with RPG elements (like Skyrim), with actual depth in storytelling, immersion, etc, the key is not just to hire a bunch of different dungeon designers; it's not good enough. You need to actually connect this expensive dialogue with these expensively constructed dungeons in a way that makes sense, and takes place over a much longer span of time. I literally was shocked at the length of the College quest line in Skyrim. I completed it WELL before the sun came up on 11/11/11, and I was freelance exploring, entered every nearby cave, didn't sprint to any locations or fast travel, etc.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there going to be a mod section for oblivion added to the OP at some point? Looking for some recommendations.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

The Oblivion modding thread hasn't fallen into the archives yet, and has a pretty good selection of mods. That said, the list is about two years out of date and the links still point to the broken tesnexus domain, but it shouldn't be too hard to find them.

Edit: I lied, it has. Sorry.

Simsmagic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 5, 2015

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Nah, I don't have archives and I could read it

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Somebody should be a champ and reply to that thread. I've got the last reply so I probably shouldn't.

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Speaking of Oblivion mods (and you can't reply to an archived thread), this one is new: Most is endless jungle which does precisely what its title implies.

I haven't fired up Oblivion in years, but I'll give this a try. See if this works with Open Cities Reborn too.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

from the meme thread

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Somebody should be a champ and reply to that thread. I've got the last reply so I probably shouldn't.

live a little

be somebody

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

People still believe the "Skyrim was rushed because 11/11/11" bullshit?

I mean compare it to Oblivion, a game that had no set release date and it was even delayed a couple of times, had more cut content and it was overall more empty than Skyrim.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
All Elder Scrolls games pass on their flaws to the next game in such a way that they don't exist in prior installments.

Just watch as Skyrim is held up as flawless come the next ES. :v:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

If someone who has played Skyrim recently wants to go into Oblivion again, this mod feels necessary

Denock arrow too - allows you to put a readied arrow back in the quiver by pushing the sheathe button.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

axolotl farmer posted:

If someone who has played Skyrim recently wants to go into Oblivion again, this mod feels necessary

Denock arrow too - allows you to put a readied arrow back in the quiver by pushing the sheathe button.

This is an essential mod.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Bholder posted:

People still believe the "Skyrim was rushed because 11/11/11" bullshit?

On release, it was utterly broken on PC. COMPLETELY broken. If you didn't play on release, on PC, I don't care about your opinion, because you are obviously not in a position to formulate one.

Of course, after shitloads of patches, yeah, now it's better. But if you had played it on 11/11/11, on PC, you would know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It makes Morrowind with no patches (on release) look like a bug-free paradise.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Skyrim seemed fine at release to me? I don't remember there being any problems people complained about either?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Reason posted:

Skyrim seemed fine at release to me? I don't remember there being any problems people complained about either?

Yeah, same here. There were some bugs like giants launching people into the stratosphere, but nothing game breaking.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
There was that progression bug that locked out a good portion of all the guild quest lines. As a result they all seemed short and nonsensical.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i dont remember any major bugs in skyrim really. es games are beautiful disasters but ive never had any real issues with them really. ive never played any of the older games though

new vegas though, now there was a buggy piece of poo poo

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Eschatos posted:

There were some bugs like giants launching people into the stratosphere

That was a feature, not a bug.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

nosl posted:

On release, it was utterly broken on PC. COMPLETELY broken. If you didn't play on release, on PC, I don't care about your opinion, because you are obviously not in a position to formulate one.

Of course, after shitloads of patches, yeah, now it's better. But if you had played it on 11/11/11, on PC, you would know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It makes Morrowind with no patches (on release) look like a bug-free paradise.

Oh I did play on PC, on release date as well!

It was hardly "UTTERLY" broken, unless the mouse cursor not working or just being unresponsive on certain menus, changing keybindings wouldn't show up in the inventory menu is your equivalent of a terribly buggy game.

Heck, nearly all of these issues are fixed in the very first patch.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

nosl posted:

I played on PC at release and I don't remember any major issues.

Orv
May 4, 2011

nosl posted:

All of your posts in here seem really angry about 11/11/11 for some reason. It was buggy on launch but nothing world ending.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
I played it for about forty five hours from the day before release (Australian VPN wizardry) through that Sunday and only remember a handful of texture bugs.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Yeah it was fine for me at release for the most part. :confused:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Skyrim was lousy with bugs at launch and obviously had no mods available to fix certain things (hello UI) but it was by no means a wreck.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Skyrim was the worst for me in terms of crashing

New Vegas ran without a hitch since day one

Orv
May 4, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

New Vegas ran without a hitch since day one

HowIknowyou'relying.txt

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I honestly never ran into a problem with it

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Skyrim was fine on launch.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Not on PS3.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

It was until you reached a certain amount of hours, then things went really wonky.

Betheda and PS3's do not get along.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I want to heavily mod Oblivion's graphics, because unlike Morrowind and Skyrim I think Oblivion's art direction is loving godawful, and it looks like painted poo poo at the best of times.

I'm looking at videos on Youtube, and I'm stuck between the OBGE and an ENB.

Looking at http://youtu.be/blu-CLgKSuY?t=19m50s shows me the ENB which is apparently really easy to set up, and does look nice. Problem is it's got this really strange yellow/orangish haze/tint I can't put my finger on that somewhat bugs me. Is it that noticeable in game, or is there anyway to turn that off?

http://youtu.be/t95gbVdPQgs?t=8m16s seems to showcase OGBE, which looks worse in a couple ways, but maintains the aesthetic of original Oblivion much better. The sharpness/contrasts don't really look as good as the ENB, but it doesn't have that haze to it. Problem is it sounds like a pain in the rear end to set up properly.

Basically I'm in a weird catch 22 and want goon advice. Unlike Morrowind/Skyrim I loathed Oblivions art direction, so the idea of the easy to install ENB changing it to something less rear end is a nice one. On the other hand, I'm a huge sucker for keeping to the original vision, so the idea of doing my best to just force the original vision to be less rear end as possible also does appeal to me in some strange way. Curious if goons who have used ENBs notice that odd tinting as much in game, or if one way is considered better then the other, etc.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

If installing ENBs for Oblivion is anything like Skyrim, I'd say OGBE is much more hassle-free.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Skyrim on PC was buggy on release but it was actually pretty stable all things considered. Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas were all buggy and unstable when unpatched so maybe Bethesda are getting a little better when it comes to releasing games without issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fallout 3 is buggy and unstable on PC when patched.