Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Ramagamma posted:

I can't fathom what a WOFF on COD is going to be like but I look forward to it.

Gary: Alright Kole, what do we do next?
Kole: Okay so we walk forward and shoot more guys, right?
Gary: Mmmmm hmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Just started the WOFF episode on Gamebooks, and I am very confused neither Gary nor Kole has ever heard of Borges before.

I mean House of Leaves is basically a tribute to him, among other things.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I listened to that episode yesterday and it was awesome if really weird. Though that weirdness is more due to the innate weirdness of gamebooks, some of those set-ups were completely insane and I don't think they'd make it into an actual game. Those carnivorous flowers :stare:

I also had one of those Mario CYOA books, I can't remember the name but you play as Luigi, who's been hired by Bowser to find Wendy O. Koopa (who then wants you to help her overthrow Bowser once you find her? I can't remember). You also earned coins for doing certain tasks and then lost or had to spend them doing others, which I think was a neat way to add a little more "game" to the book by giving you a high score system. It also meant that the best ending involved you drugging everyone in Bowser's castle and then walking out while robbing him blind :lol:

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Just started the WOFF episode on Gamebooks, and I am very confused neither Gary nor Kole has ever heard of Borges before.

I mean House of Leaves is basically a tribute to him, among other things.

I'll take the heat for the ignorance on that one. For some reason I've never run across him before, even with my enthusiasm for House of Leaves.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I listened to Sirlin's podcast last week about "Morality in Games/Media", and it was pretty good. He has some crazy stories to share from A Tale in the Desert which dunks pretty drat hard on Fable-esque "morality" systems. It's pretty heavy on the TV portion since they talk about Dexter and The Walking Dead, but the shared tales from A Tale in the Desert were completely sublime. Linku: http://www.sirlin.net/posts/sirlin-on-game-design-ep8-morality-in-stories

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I bristled a little at "obscure Argentinian author" but then realized I also didn't want to be the kind of person who bristles

Honestly yeah though it was just a thing it was unexpected for neither of you to have a frame of reference for so take it as a compliment!!!

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 9, 2015

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Phone posted:

I listened to Sirlin's podcast last week about "Morality in Games/Media", and it was pretty good. He has some crazy stories to share from A Tale in the Desert which dunks pretty drat hard on Fable-esque "morality" systems. It's pretty heavy on the TV portion since they talk about Dexter and The Walking Dead, but the shared tales from A Tale in the Desert were completely sublime. Linku: http://www.sirlin.net/posts/sirlin-on-game-design-ep8-morality-in-stories

When he got to the punchline about the Pharaoh kills I burst into laughter. Now I want to hear more stories about this game.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'll take the heat for the ignorance on that one. For some reason I've never run across him before, even with my enthusiasm for House of Leaves.

Well it mainly means you get to read his stories for the first time at some point in the future, so really you're in an enviable position.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I bristled a little at "obscure Argentinian author" but then realized I also didn't want to be the kind of person who bristles

Honestly yeah though it was just a thing it was unexpected for neither of you to have a frame of reference for so take it as a compliment!!!

I'm not as well read as I come off sometimes. And I don't think I come off as that well read. :ohdear:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This might be a stupid question but how Sirlin-y is Sirlin's podcast?

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 10, 2015

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This might be a stupid question but how Sirlin-y is Sirlin's podcast?

If by Sirliny you mean "He states all his opinions as outright facts" then it depends on the episode. This episode was pretty low, but the episode on uneven playfields was up there.

You might disagree with some of his arguments, but most of them are pretty sound. I can see how that could be a problem for some people, but you should be able to get past it.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hello, please listen to the new Retronauts about Pac-Man 2 and then play Pac-Man 2 because it's hella weird: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/this-weeks-retronauts-micro-takes-a-brief-but-befuddled-look-at-pac-man-2-the-new-adventures

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

bobservo posted:

Hello, please listen to the new Retronauts about Pac-Man 2 and then play Pac-Man 2 because it's hella weird: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/this-weeks-retronauts-micro-takes-a-brief-but-befuddled-look-at-pac-man-2-the-new-adventures

Yessssssss. I kind of wish that this was in the Pocket format (30ish minutes vs 11), but beggars can't be choosers. Thanks, Bob.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The first time I played Pac-Man 2 was during a family trip to Jamaica. The arcade cabinet was tucked away near an ice machine in a stairwell, and I was convinced it was some sort of crazy local-made knockoff.

EDIT: Oh, wait! Apparently I was thinking of Pac-Land.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 10, 2015

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Gary and Kole, have you guys heard of Hybrid Heaven? I feel like it's a bit redundant for WOFF with you guys having done God Hand, and I don't think it's bad enough (or interesting enough in a 30 minute chunk) to be worthy for Abject Suffering. I was just wondering if either of you have played it and have any thoughts.

Also, after initially skipping all the extrasodes, I'm going back and listening to most of them (I'm hungry for content.) Between the extrasodes and the weird tangents you guys go off on during Abject Suffering, my favorite parts may be you guys just talking off topic or riffing on unrelated jokes. Keep up the great work.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I got pretty deep into Hybrid Heaven back when it was new and remember the story being all kinds of crazy in a good way and an interesting combat system. I tried to play it a few years ago though and sadly
It seems to be another casualty of that generation of consoles. It's basically impossible to get past the presentation and controls even if there is a good game buried in there. For me anyway.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Not familiar with Hybrid Heaven but everything you guys are saying makes me want to check it out.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Woffle posted:

Not familiar with Hybrid Heaven but everything you guys are saying makes me want to check it out.

That game is one of the most insane things to ever exist holy crap. The fighting system is bananas the texture work is N64 levels of good (everything is one color). Oh and for some reason it has widescreen support. You can also level up your head for some reason.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Haruharuharuko posted:

the texture work is N64 levels of good
Talk about damning with faint praise.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It is seriously good looking for an N64 game. This screenshot obviously has emu sharpening but the faces actually look like faces.

Of course part of how they did this was having empty cube shaped rooms with a max of two models at a time.

For those uninitiated:
It's a plot that's Psi Ops levels of nonsense. You play a genetically engineered soldier who fights a bunch of Ninja Turtles and Guyver style mutants. The gameplay is kind of like Parasite Eve where you run around real time, then to attack you swap to a menu system where you choose from a long menu of specific types of punches, kicks, and wrestling moves. When an enemy attacks you can choose specific responses like evade or counter. You have location based damage as well as level up your body parts individually.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Mar 11, 2015

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Haruharuharuko posted:

That game is one of the most insane things to ever exist holy crap. The fighting system is bananas the texture work is N64 levels of good (everything is one color). Oh and for some reason it has widescreen support. You can also level up your head for some reason.
I always remember Carmageddon 64 had widescreen support too - except it wasn't proper widescreen and you had to pause at the start of every single race to manually turn it on.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Well it mainly means you get to read his stories for the first time at some point in the future, so really you're in an enviable position.

Yeah, this. Awesome.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Cat Machine posted:

I always remember Carmageddon 64 had widescreen support too - except it wasn't proper widescreen and you had to pause at the start of every single race to manually turn it on.

Omg I remember that what the hell were they thinking?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Haruharuharuko posted:

Omg I remember that what the hell were they thinking?

That people would be using their 3:4 monitor and a wide screen TV via a KV switch or something.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
My memory of Hybrid Heaven is it had a deep, RPG wrestling combat system where you could level up moves and body parts and a ridiculous, dark, crazy story, but when I tried to play it again a couple years ago I couldn't even make it through the first real time section with the prologue character before giving up.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Prefacing this with the note I have never replayed it since it came out. I do recall the game being very dialogue/"cutscene" heavy and that combined with how long individual fights take means the entire game is super slow. That's why I didn't suggest it for Abject Suffering. With the pace of gameplay and asking of exposition I don't know that thirty minutes would even get you out of the prologue, where IIRC you aren't even the protagonist yet.

I do think the game has solid underlying mechanics though and it's worth looking at as a game trying to do a unique thing.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Paradox added 100 great women of history to Europa Universalis 4 on March 8th for International Women's Day. Further proof that Paradox is amazing:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bobservo posted:

the pac man 2 episode of gamecenter cx owns too

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Is Pac-Man 2 the one where you finger Ms. Pac-Man?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Phone posted:

Paradox added 100 great women of history to Europa Universalis 4 on March 8th for International Women's Day. Further proof that Paradox is amazing:

Oh my god that's fantastic

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Phone posted:

:golfclap:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
New Thumbs, how the hell do people not get the S.EXE pun? Like, its not even a double entendre. What the heck.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Stan Taylor posted:

New Thumbs, how the hell do people not get the S.EXE pun? Like, its not even a double entendre. What the heck.

Yeah it is literally the word SEX with other crap wedged around it. Confusing.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So I'm listening to my podcasts for this week, and I listen to Abject Suffering where they drop a reference to pacman 2, then listen to the retronauts podcast on the same game. I thought it was a weird coincidence. Then I listened to the designers notes episode where they talked to a guy who worked on 1 vs 100, and on the bombcast the first letter was: "hey do you guys remember 1 vs 100?". I'm scared to listen to podcasts now. #askquestions

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
My memory of Hybrid Heaven is that the magazine (it'd have to be Nintendo Power) preview I read kept billing it as 'The New Metal Gear', which was extremely cool to me having loved the original and at the time being totally oblivious to anything Playstation.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

So I'm listening to my podcasts for this week, and I listen to Abject Suffering where they drop a reference to pacman 2, then listen to the retronauts podcast on the same game. I thought it was a weird coincidence. Then I listened to the designers notes episode where they talked to a guy who worked on 1 vs 100, and on the bombcast the first letter was: "hey do you guys remember 1 vs 100?". I'm scared to listen to podcasts now. #askquestions

This is why we need #gamergate more than ever!!!

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
INT-NIGHT: COMMAND CENTER. A red phone rings under flashing lights. Col. Games Crandleman picks up the phone.

COL. GAMES CRANDLEMAN
Ms. Pac Man has been compromised. I repeat, Ms. Pac Man has been compromised.

He places the phone back on the cradle and crosses himself.

COL. GAMES CRANGLEMAN
(to himself) May God have mercy on us all.

Col. Jams Crimeman opens up MS Paint on the nearest terminal and draws a red "X" over the last known photo of Ms. Pac Man.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I can't figure out Cara Ellison's accent on the latest IT and it's driving me crazy.

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

C-Euro posted:

I can't figure out Cara Ellison's accent on the latest IT and it's driving me crazy.

She is Scottish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Danielle's puns on this week's Idle Thumbs were incredible. Cara was also very very good. A+++++ episode.

• Locked thread