Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Yodzilla posted:

Someone else reporting this same thing:

Which is super goddamn weird as I don't see how all of the other controls would be fine save for that one. I'll see what I can figure out though as I finally got a Windows 8.1 machine again.

So I notice weird behavior too if I have the Xbox controllers on first, then fire up the game. The triggers will sometimes just refuse to work or work for other players. However, if I fire up the game first, then turn on controllers, everything works fine. I think this has something to do with how Unity just doesn't care which controllers it picks up and what order they are in. Even for Xbox controllers where the light signals which is Player 1, Unity just has it's own order for controllers and you can't even use the array with any sort of certainty. There are also no IDs. I have no idea how people make console games in Unity with the prospect of controllers disconnecting and such.

How are you handling controllers? Plugin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

poemdexter posted:

So I notice weird behavior too if I have the Xbox controllers on first, then fire up the game. The triggers will sometimes just refuse to work or work for other players. However, if I fire up the game first, then turn on controllers, everything works fine. I think this has something to do with how Unity just doesn't care which controllers it picks up and what order they are in. Even for Xbox controllers where the light signals which is Player 1, Unity just has it's own order for controllers and you can't even use the array with any sort of certainty. There are also no IDs. I have no idea how people make console games in Unity with the prospect of controllers disconnecting and such.
Speaking of this, does anyone know if InControl... mostly masks this?

I have a user reporting that they have to rebind their controls every time they start the game, which tells me that Unity is doing its "hey, let's change that ID from gamepad 1 to gamepad 2 at random! because gently caress you!" thing, and there's... not a whole heck of a lot I can do about that. Reaaally hoping InControl instead of cInput magics the problem away.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Controller woes really make me glad I'm developing for console first, then PC.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

poemdexter posted:

We get it, you like UE more than Unity. gently caress off.

Could we not be so defensive about our chosen engines?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

poemdexter posted:

How are you handling controllers? Plugin?

Yeah I'm using InControl and I've never seen that issue myself. However I'm using the free version he has on Git instead of the more up-to-date one on the Asset Store. I should just pony up the $25 and see if it's fixed.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

down with slavery posted:

Could we not be so defensive about our chosen engines?

Just got back from GDC the other day and had to read through a mountain of UE vs. Unity posts until real game dev related things returned to normal. I think all engines are awesome. I hope everyone can find one that works best with their own workflow and needs. Have a haiku:

Engine is beauty.
Each unique and beautful.
So hard to choose one.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

poemdexter posted:

All engines are poo poo.
Why doesn't this garbage work.
Time to start over.

Fixed that for you.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
If you don't make all of your games in Macromedia Flash you are scum!!! SCUM!! I challenge you to name one thing you can do in your previous UE4 that you can't do in adope flash player 11.2.

Dr Solway Garr
Jun 28, 2009

Crain posted:

That almost worked. Only thing is that it doesn't terminate at the end of the curve and just comes back to the starting shape:

Probably too late but I had to check out what your maya problems were. Curves have a direction (or, well, a cv order) and yours is going backwards. You want to go to Edit Curves>Reverse Curve Direction, on the surfaces menu bar.

shimmy posted:

1-2mb to embed? I can't do anything with that! I tried every trick Photoshop has to offer, here's your tiny gif

Video at 60fps with an appropriate tune and awful compression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfvZ--b18VA

I've recently found myself thinking a lot about restarting this project and taking a completely different approach inspired by old 2d racers like Outrun. I think I can make it work well enough that it would look and feel like a real racer, which those 2d ones never did, but I'd have to roll my own fake physics etc. I'm committed to my current game though...

This is loving rad.
I've been grappling with trying to make similar fast hover-y arcade-y racing set up, though for a very different kind of game. Been trying lots of different things, including custom fake-ish physics, and currently seem to be settling on unity physics with lots of, sometimes non physical, corrective forces. Any cool insight on how you approached this?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dr Solway Garr posted:

Probably too late but I had to check out what your maya problems were. Curves have a direction (or, well, a cv order) and yours is going backwards. You want to go to Edit Curves>Reverse Curve Direction, on the surfaces menu bar.

Oh thanks, I hadn't figured that out yet. I'll test it own when I get home.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Crain posted:

Oh thanks, I hadn't figured that out yet. I'll test it own when I get home.

I just tested this and he's right. If you put the quad at the last point you clicked instead of the first, you get that behavior. I guess I've been doing this so long, I just always put the quad at the start of the curve out of habit.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

shimmy posted:

1-2mb to embed? I can't do anything with that! I tried every trick Photoshop has to offer, here's your tiny gif

This is the project I mentioned before, that makes me think Unity's physics should be more than good enough for most indies. Though this post is prompted by the physics complaints I really just want to talk about the game because I never have before.
Average speed 500-1000 kph. Acceleration so high I felt I had to implement a G-force readout. The track collision mesh is ludicrous. Obstacles small enough that half the time I would go through them like they weren't there, that same problem everyone runs into. The whole thing, well it's kind of asking a lot.
I think Unity physics run at 50hz by default and, I checked, it's at 200hz in this project. I guess that sounds like a lot but even older PCs run it without a hitch. Also it's overkill anyway, the game you see here doesn't need it that high. I did it because there is a stupid boost button that makes you go up to 2000 kph in a straight line. I kid you not, that's a little bit too fast to handle and I don't use it in the video. If I did I'd instantly crash into 10 different walls but the physics do handle these collisions perfectly, always.

This was supposed to be a sort of Audiosurf/Wipeout mix game, but I had no idea how to make a track that interacts with physics but also changes its shape XX times per second. I only ever made a vehicle handling test, and that's what you see here. Just a bare minimum of gameplay thanks to some obstacles on a 15 second long track, there is nothing else. Don't mind the stand in objects, textures, colors etc.
Even so I have played this build a lot, I put on some untz untz music and will zone out for ages in a strong flow state.
I've recently found myself thinking a lot about restarting this project and taking a completely different approach inspired by old 2d racers like Outrun. I think I can make it work well enough that it would look and feel like a real racer, which those 2d ones never did, but I'd have to roll my own fake physics etc. I'm committed to my current game though...

This is really cool. I tried to make a racing game prototype in UE3 and I ran into the issue of figuring out scale and how to model a racetrack at such huge scales.

In your track there did you model out the whole track and place the obstacles as objects? If so is the terrain a static model or is it Unity terrain/brushes? I could never figure out a good approach that wouldnt be super tedious.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Obsurveyor posted:

I just tested this and he's right. If you put the quad at the last point you clicked instead of the first, you get that behavior. I guess I've been doing this so long, I just always put the quad at the start of the curve out of habit.

Well all the guides I read said to place it at the start as well.

shimmy
Apr 20, 2011

Dr Solway Garr posted:

This is loving rad.
I've been grappling with trying to make similar fast hover-y arcade-y racing set up, though for a very different kind of game. Been trying lots of different things, including custom fake-ish physics, and currently seem to be settling on unity physics with lots of, sometimes non physical, corrective forces. Any cool insight on how you approached this?

It's pure physics! I was desperate to not have to do anything complicated like that myself.
The vehicle has a capsule collider that slides on the track collision mesh. That's why it looks very hard and not at all aircushion-y, I was thinking about having a spring in between the capsule and the model but didn't get around to it.
Movement is just forces (edit: I mean typical forces following player input, nothing corrective needed), the important bit was to set friction at 0, there is only drag to slow it down. Turning is done with torque along the world .up vector to point it in the desired direction and also a bit along local .forward to help it bank. The center of mass is slightly below the center of the capsule so it always wants to right itself and it won't roll when continuously turning and adding torque.
The rolling you do see is done by this game's version of strafing. It pushes sideways and adds a lot of rolling torque, modified by speed so it won't roll and look silly when you're slow but does roll and look super cool when you're going fast.
I forget what I did exactly with the camera, I think it's looking at a point in front of the vehicle and it gets dragged along like that rather than being parented. Imo it's important to have at least a decent camera or the feel will always be too rigid.
All of this took tons of tweaking to get right, the exact same code with different values could be terrible and not produce anything close to the desired results.

StickFigs posted:

This is really cool. I tried to make a racing game prototype in UE3 and I ran into the issue of figuring out scale and how to model a racetrack at such huge scales.

In your track there did you model out the whole track and place the obstacles as objects? If so is the terrain a static model or is it Unity terrain/brushes? I could never figure out a good approach that wouldnt be super tedious.

It's a static mesh. Again because I didn't want to do anything myself, I bought a store asset to generate everything. Especially as I intended for everything to be dynamic.
http://www.west-racing.com/mf/?page_id=2208 - I haven't used this in a long time but it worked pretty well back then.
The big thing was, the asset can generate dynamically but the whole thing just wasn't fast enough. I tried a lot of things like a super short collision mesh and a seperate longer mesh to render but nothing really solved it. If only I were smarter.
I'd like to point out again that Unity's physics did not miss a beat with this, I feared constantly (or even just once) replacing the collision mesh underneath my vehicle would really screw things up and eg launch it up in the air or let it fall through but that never happened.

shimmy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 9, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Does anyone know why the Unity Asset Store has these weird promo pages for assets? http://u3d.as/content/prime31/go-kit-tween-library/339

Why do those exist instead of just leading people straight to the full thing?

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Yodzilla posted:

Fixed that for you.

Hahaha I love it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Ohkay, finally worked. Thank you for the help. I feel like I'm learning stick shift all over again.

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up
Realize that many of you are probably Gamasutra readers, but thought I might point this out for anyone who isn't:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RichardHillWhittall/20150306/237901/How_much_do_indie_PC_devs_make.php

Here is the Steamcharts report for their game, just for reference: http://steamcharts.com/app/327260

I thought it was a really good article that accurately reflects the reality of what releasing an indie PC game is like nowadays. My experience hasn't been too dissimilar.

Whenever anybody asks me why I still consider myself a hobbyist even though I have a game on Steam, exhibit at PAX, follow indie games, etc., this is the article I will send them.

Years of work. Probably hundreds of thousands of dollars in both real and opportunity costs.

For a few thousand bucks.

More and more I feel like the indie game 'industry' for everyone outside the luckiest little percentile is financed by people throwing away their savings, leaning on their friends and families, or possibly selling drugs.

Thankfully, the stuff I do is inexpensive enough that I can pay for it through a legitimate job. It's just me and cheap tools and free time. The thought of actually having to spend a lot of money on development, pay staff, etc. is spine chilling.

Thoughts? From those of you who really think of yourselves as doing this for a living?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Wow, that's a wake-up call. Maybe I shouldn't be pursuing a career in game design...

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Saturated genre, above average just doesn't cut it for a 2d "speedrunny" platformer these days. Bad idea to extrapolate it to developers in general.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Wow, that's a wake-up call. Maybe I shouldn't be pursuing a career in game design...
We've made over $11k on just Steam, in 2 weeks. And that I'm considering a kinda-sorta failure, and we've got plans in motion to recover it, and me calling it a "failure" is even then a bit silly since our wishlist numbers are 2x-3x anyone else's we've talked to / we're likely to do great in sales later this year. That also ignores the $25k Kickstarter, etc.

Definitely don't look at those post-mortem numbers as typical. It depends on the game you make, the quality bar / price point you're competing at, etc. Those are "you released a pretty average $4.99 game that doesn't get any big press for a variety of reasons and falls instantly into obscurity, like most $4.99 games do when the folks behind the games don't really know how to market / didn't choose a very marketable concept" numbers.

EDIT: Clarified, because something like, say, Savant Ascent? It did... uh, a lot, better. But they had a really great marketing hook for it, and really promoted it well. Most games in that tier just kind of sink.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 10, 2015

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I just spent an entire day making a Cmake list that would properly link glew, opengl, soil and glfw so it would compile on both Windows and Linux and run without external dependencies. Part of my hacked-together solution is to compile literally all libraries with my main executable so compile times are easily a minute and I now have a 2MB executable without having written a single line myself. Maybe tomorrow I'll get to write some code, because I'm sure linking up Bullet Physics will go much smoother :suicide:

I feel a tad bit masochistic right now.

Joda fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 10, 2015

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

This is basically the greatest praise I could ever get. I don't know who these people are but they are upset and it makes me happy.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

This is basically the greatest praise I could ever get. I don't know who these people are but they are upset and it makes me happy.
hahahahahaha.

Those are "the people who have guaranteed you'll pass Greenlight instantly even by intentionally making GBS threads on your game" :D

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Shalinor posted:

We've made over $11k on just Steam, in 2 weeks. And that I'm considering a kinda-sorta failure, and we've got plans in motion to recover it, and me calling it a "failure" is even then a bit silly since our wishlist numbers are 2x-3x anyone else's we've talked to / we're likely to do great in sales later this year. That also ignores the $25k Kickstarter, etc.

Definitely don't look at those post-mortem numbers as typical. It depends on the game you make, the quality bar / price point you're competing at, etc. Those are "you released a pretty average $4.99 game that doesn't get any big press for a variety of reasons and falls instantly into obscurity, like most $4.99 games do when the folks behind the games don't really know how to market / didn't choose a very marketable concept" numbers.

EDIT: Clarified, because something like, say, Savant Ascent? It did... uh, a lot, better. But they had a really great marketing hook for it, and really promoted it well. Most games in that tier just kind of sink.

Pretty much this.

I'm honestly shocked how many indie game devs are shocked that their side-scrolling platformer/top-down hack and slash/tower defense, isn't selling well. Nobody gives a poo poo about games in over-saturated markets unless you're doing everything a lot better than everyone else. You're making a product, if your product doesn't do enough different things from its competitors, and isn't a hell of a lot better than its competitors, why in the world would anyone talk about it, let alone buy it? Those who excels in polish, innovate, and/or appeal to an undeserved niche tend to fare a lot better.

That being said, if you like money you should probably avoid a career in the game industry.

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
I think there are two ways to be successful as an indie developer.

The first is to find an underserved niche with a fanatic audience, find a pace where you can regularly churn out releases, and build a reliable customer base.

The second is to innovate - but it's not enough to be new, you also have to be good. Being the first to market with an idea doesn't make you breakout, being the first to execute it correct and with a reasonable amount of polish does. So if you don't have a killer idea, you could try to find a relatively unknown game that has a great concept but executes it poorly and be the first to do it well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Third is to release as much junk for as cheaply as possible and saturate the market with your low effort near zero cost apps!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SweetBro posted:

I'm honestly shocked how many indie game devs are shocked that their side-scrolling platformer/top-down hack and slash/tower defense, isn't selling well.

You talk like you have it all figured out, buddy. We're trying to reap promises sown by charlatans, and were fed a narrative about men and women of humble beginnings reaching great heights when actually they were from independently-wealthy families to start with.

A fella isn't supposed to dread launch; you're supposed to look forward to it and be happy. I was dumb enough to buy what they were sellin', though, so that's all on me. The Making Games Megathread: I Shoulda Stuck With Children's Lit

NeonCowboy
Oct 9, 2009

I see y'all flashing, diamond, dancing, shining /
Keep your head up

Shalinor posted:

OK, but you're just talking about revenue here. Ignore the 25k for sure, since that was the budget, and I'm guessing not even all of it. For something that took you 2-3 years to do, 11k is pretty harsh in the context of the average cost of living in the States being around 35k - 40k a year, no? And that is assuming you are getting to keep everything yourself, whereas I think a lot of people are in partnership / studio types of situations and have to split it up.

If 35k is the average, and you're keeping everything yourself, and it took you 3 years start to finish, you'll need to make 94k through sales (at reduced prices, no less) later this year just to have made that average income.

I don't know. It just kills me to see people invest so much of themselves into this stuff and for it to end up ruining them. I worry that 'indie dev' culture is getting more and more people caught up in false hope.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Personally I think it says a lot about the advertising for their game when I didn't hear about it and retro pixel games are kind of my jam. Like I follow a dozen pixel/video game art blogs that do nothing but showcase that stuff and I track the pixel graphics tag and this is the first time I'm hearing about the game. I might even purchase it.

Paniolo posted:

I think there are two ways to be successful as an indie developer.

The first is to find an underserved niche with a fanatic audience, find a pace where you can regularly churn out releases, and build a reliable customer base.

The second is to innovate - but it's not enough to be new, you also have to be good. Being the first to market with an idea doesn't make you breakout, being the first to execute it correct and with a reasonable amount of polish does. So if you don't have a killer idea, you could try to find a relatively unknown game that has a great concept but executes it poorly and be the first to do it well.

Third, network like hell with people who can get your product in front of your audience. Five Nights at Freddies probably would have gone completely ignored if it weren't for every single youtube personality rushing to play it. The third game wasn't even commercially available and all the big youtube names were rushing to post videos of the demo. Shovel Knight had a pretty detailed post mortem filled with doom and gloom leading up to their commercial release but the composer of the game is friends with Egoraptor who did a Game Grumps video a couple days before their kickstarter ended.

So yeah, make friends with people. Let more popular people sell your work. Don't be jerks like those Paranautical Activity guys.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

SynthOrange posted:

Third is to release as much junk for as cheaply as possible and saturate the market with your low effort near zero cost apps!

This is the best one imo

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
games as an industry is kind of hosed right now, my interest has been waning for years for various reasons (i don't like what steam has done to consumer expectations for non-mobile games) and i don't miss trying to keep up with it. i just try to stick to hobbyist stuff in my spare time right now and i'm pretty content with it. i think i would agree that pursuing a career doing this stuff is probably not a good idea at least from what my armchair analysis of reports by various developers and specialists tells me. don't even get me started on being a woman and trying to do anything in this testosterone-filled excuse for a "community"... basically i'm just waiting for the inevitable schism that will happen and hoping for the best, but also secretly the worst because gently caress gamers.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

You talk like you have it all figured out, buddy. We're trying to reap promises sown by charlatans, and were fed a narrative about men and women of humble beginnings reaching great heights when actually they were from independently-wealthy families to start with.

I'm sorry but nobody said you were going to get rich by making bad games.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2803713&perpage=40&pagenumber=715#post441980545

This is a creative industry, you need to make something people want. You did not. That is not the fault of the industry, which is better than it has ever been.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

The White Dragon posted:

A fella isn't supposed to dread launch; you're supposed to look forward to it and be happy. I was dumb enough to buy what they were sellin', though, so that's all on me. The Making Games Megathread: I Shoulda Stuck With Children's Lit

I'm not sure how much of this is sarcasm, but while I don't have everything figured out I am familiar with the more elementary aspects of economics. Whether you're selling a product or your services, if you're selling something you have to provide a reason to buy your poo poo over someone else's poo poo. The best reason you could have is that no one else has poo poo like your poo poo. The second best reason is that your poo poo is way better than their poo poo. The vast majority of indie success stories have one of these two selling points, but even they're a rarity because few people who have either the discipline to make their game better than all other competitors or the creativity/foresight to make an innovative and compelling title would choose to work in the industry when they could be making a lot more money, working a lot less hours, elsewhere.

You shouldn't have to dread your release day, if that's the case then why the gently caress are you making games? Go pull a Notch and just go back to making cool prototypes. Sure it's fine to be nervous, everyone's nervous when they release their little baby into the world to be judged. So chin up, worst case scenario your game flops; welcome to the majority.

Although I suppose it's easiest for a guy who never lost anything on a game release to say thaat.

SweetBro fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Mar 10, 2015

Maleficent
May 26, 2014

down with slavery posted:

I'm sorry but nobody said you were going to get rich by making bad games.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2803713&perpage=40&pagenumber=715#post441980545

This is a creative industry, you need to make something people want. You did not. That is not the fault of the industry, which is better than it has ever been.

er, wouldn't making things people want be a service industry?
basically if the compelling force of your craft is capital im not so sure we can call it creatively driven

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Maleficent posted:

basically if the compelling force of your craft is capital im not so sure we can call it creatively driven

I think his point is your game has to not suck. Sales are the only criticism that counts, after all.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

shimmy posted:

One thing I don't like about some modern racers (Mario Kart is a big offender) is they don't convey speed too well and you feel like you're going really slow. You've nailed it though, you totally look like you're zooming along at 900+KM/H :v:

Edit: I'm glad I have a day job

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 10, 2015

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Maleficent posted:

Sure you can make whatever you want, but then you can't complain if nobody cares.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

SupSuper posted:

Sure you can make whatever you want, but then you can't complain if nobody cares.

Worked really hard on something to have it mainly ignored? I guess games really are art!

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Making Games and Seasonal Affective Disorder Support Group Megathread