Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

FAUXTON posted:

no but having flashed the image like a complete nerd I can assure you it's A Good Update.

Specifically, how does it compare to a Nexus S with Jellybean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Oh my God. I didn't notice that was the thread title too.

I'm slightly proud that my horrible experience with that phone has made humor. :v:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Literally the best thread title we've had in a while.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

quote:

High Definition voice calling is now on your mobile phone. Get crystal clear calling with HD Voice between compatible Android 5.1 devices like the Nexus 6 on T-Mobile or Verizon.
Does AT&T not do "HD Voice" which I assume is VoLTE? Or are those different things?

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

AT&T has HD Voice, but it's only available in "select markets." It might work with AT&T's implementation, but their coverage is nowhere near as complete as T-Mobile's or Verizon's.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I had a Nexus S for a little while, I was so infuriated with jellybean on it that I got a Galaxy Nexus.

On Sprint.

E: never mind, that was ICS. I was pissed about ICS being a little sluggish that I went to that gnex pile of horseshit on that boatload of cocks Sprint. Jellybean must have been worse than that Samsung Moment debacle where a routine update loving bricked the internal flash memory or some poo poo.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 10, 2015

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Okay this is weird. Nuked and paved the N5 with 5.1. Everything went fine but GEL is only showing a few available widgets. For example, Dashclock had the settings widget but not the 4x2 standard widget it comes with. Anybody else seeing this?

Edit: Weather Timeline is missing all of its widgets.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 10, 2015

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Google'd :confuoot:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
4th reboot inexplicably fixed it. :v:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Re: HD Voice. It's weird. I'm in a supported market (AT&T) and talking with people who also have an HD voice capable phone sounds like the phone speaker is hollow and bassy.

You can turn it off on the Note 4 so I'd assume others as well. It's funny seeing posts online all "my speaker is suddenly broken."

No. Welcome to HD Voice. It's strange.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You mean it doesn't sound like AM radio anymore? Phonecall audio is all midrange, does it actually sound unrealistically hollow or is it just... normal now?

I guess it should sound a bit like a call-in show, only now people should sound like the host with their professional mic and not the callers

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm buying a loving iPhone.

Seriously, as an Android fan and owner since the T-Mobile G1 I'm sick of waiting for Google to get their poo poo together.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm buying a loving iPhone.

Seriously, as an Android fan and owner since the T-Mobile G1 I'm sick of waiting for Google to get their poo poo together.

It took you six years to get fed up?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Variable_H posted:

It took you six years to get fed up?

Yeah. Android is a lot of fun, and I'm a computer nerd. But eventually you just want your loving phone to work.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeah. Android is a lot of fun, and I'm a computer nerd. But eventually you just want your loving phone to work.

Just be aware that modern iOS isn't entirely free of weird issues either (including random battery drains)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Or not recognizing the lightning cable that came with the device as an official cable, thus cutting off all notifications from playing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Pro-tip: if you use the factory image to flash your Nexus device with updates (assuming you have an unlocked boot loader), you can edit the script and remove the -w from this line:

fastboot -w update image-name

and it will not wipe your personal data when you update.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just updated to 5.1 on my N5. Lets see how it goes. I'm traveling abroad for a few weeks, so I really hope I didn't jack up my phone and get stranded.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
^^Thank you for your service brave soldier.

Have you guys been hearing those radio ads for free radio on our cell phones?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever seen this from fastboot?
code:
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools> .\fastboot update .\hammerhead-lmy47d\image-hammerhead-lmy47d.zip
target reported max download size of 1073741824 bytes
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
failed to allocate 1046070000 bytes
error: update package missing system.img
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools>
:shrug:

Edit: Obviously I checked that system.img is present, also tried re-downloading the entire image. I've never seen that "max download size" thing before.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 10, 2015

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

code:
PS C:\Android\SDK\platform-tools> .\fastboot update .\hammerhead-lmy47d\image-hammerhead-lmy47d.zip

Edit: Obviously I checked that system.img is present, also tried re-downloading the entire image. I've never seen that "max download size" thing before.

Use the included flash-all.bat file? It also does bootloader and baseband, so skipping them might have something to do with it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

code:

I'm almost certain that message came up on the last update I manually flashed and it definitely came up about forty seconds ago when I flashed it on my N5. Mine, however, lacked the "failed to allocate.." and "error: ..." lines and flashed as expected.

I did not do fastboot update, I flashed boot.img and system.img manually.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

Use the included flash-all.bat file? It also does bootloader and baseband, so skipping them might have something to do with it?
Sorry, I didn't skip these, they just worked fine so didn't post the output.

Anyway I rebooted my PC and apparently that fixed it.

LastInLine posted:

I'm almost certain that message came up on the last update I manually flashed and it definitely came up about forty seconds ago when I flashed it on my N5. Mine, however, lacked the "failed to allocate.." and "error: ..." lines and flashed as expected.
You're right, that line is apparently normal.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

LastInLine posted:

I did not do fastboot update, I flashed boot.img and system.img manually.

My fast boot output
code:
eMacbook:hammerhead-lmy47d eric$ ./flash-all.sh
sending 'bootloader' (2579 KB)...
OKAY [  0.295s]
writing 'bootloader'...
OKAY [  0.495s]
finished. total time: 0.791s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.099s]
finished. total time: 0.099s
sending 'radio' (45425 KB)...
OKAY [  1.583s]
writing 'radio'...
OKAY [  3.135s]
finished. total time: 4.718s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [  0.097s]

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I hope this fixes all the issues because I hosed my uptime for this poo poo! :argh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The flash-all.bat didn't work for me either (said boot.IMG wasn't there) so I manually flashed each part - boot loader, then radio, then boot, then system. Works just peachy.

And yes the update seems to have eradicated the memory leak.

E: yeah, just opened a bunch of news articles in chrome and hit the home button, went straight to the home screen, no redraw or goofy "hurrrr did you mean google now" fuckery.

E2: same when going through Facebook and opening a couple Verge articles about the new apple hardware. Both Chrome and the Facebook internal browser seem to be way less laggy, too.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 10, 2015

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Might be more GEL than the update, as I've been noticing GEL do weird things to widgets on my 5.0 Moto X and 5.0.2 Nexus 7. Like, recently updated widgets show up in the tray as their package name with the Android robot instead of the usual preview image.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FAUXTON posted:

The flash-all.bat didn't work for me either (said boot.IMG wasn't there) so I manually flashed each part - boot loader, then radio, then boot, then system. Works just peachy.

And yes the update seems to have eradicated the memory leak.

E: yeah, just opened a bunch of news articles in chrome and hit the home button, went straight to the home screen, no redraw or goofy "hurrrr did you mean google now" fuckery.

E2: same when going through Facebook and opening a couple Verge articles about the new apple hardware. Both Chrome and the Facebook internal browser seem to be way less laggy, too.

I'd give it a few days at least before we say its fixed, even a fresh install of 5.02 seems good for a day or two before the redraws etc starts

Even though the bug is still marked as open, switching in and out of priority mode via a setRingerMode command seems fixed. Before today Llama could only put you into priority notification mode, it couldn't bring it out again.

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 10, 2015

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

5.1 feels better on my N5,but that may just be confirmation bias. I didn't get redraws for a couple days after a reboot, should know if it's really as good as it feels now by then.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The Sony Xperia Z3 hasn't even got 5.0.x yet. I love my Z3 Compact but Sony needs to get a loving move on with the update.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Sony Xperia Z3 hasn't even got 5.0.x yet. I love my Z3 Compact but Sony needs to get a loving move on with the update.

Don't worry, my Nexus 4 (plus the cellular Nexus 7s and the Nexus 9) still haven't received 5.1 yet, so don't feel too behind!

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Reading through the 5.1 AOSP commits (as normal people do) and noticed 5.1 no longer classes the LED as an interruption aka its completely decoupled from All/Priority/None: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/1f32c65697c22f423c2888cf4c53da1c95d602c1

Was beginning to get tired of the LED actually having a context in Priority mode/being somewhat useful. Glad they fixed it back to "perpetually blinking, except for when you actually need it to".

Lukavi posted:

I just updated my Galaxy S5 to Android 5.0 as it kept bitching at me to do. The only thing that is pissing me off is that now when a app gives me a notification I get a blinking Green LED where i never had this before or had turned off. How do I make it never happen? I tried looking it up and all I can turn off is the Blue light :(

Pretty sure this is a known problem with the S5 on Lollipop

Some people want LED off but can't turn it off, some want LED on but can't turn it on and for others it works just fine. A RNG determines what you get every time you factory reset.

EDIT: I think you should count your blessings though: without it how else would you be able to know "stuff happened on your internet device"?

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 10, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vagrancy posted:

Reading through the 5.1 AOSP commits (as normal people do) and noticed 5.1 no longer classes the LED as an interruption aka its completely decoupled from All/Priority/None: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/1f32c65697c22f423c2888cf4c53da1c95d602c1

Was beginning to get tired of the LED actually having a context in Priority mode/being somewhat useful. Glad they fixed it back to "perpetually blinking, except for when you actually need it to".

Have to completely disagree with you there. This is a completely awesome change.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

FAUXTON posted:

E: never mind, that was ICS. I was pissed about ICS being a little sluggish that I went to that gnex pile of horseshit on that boatload of cocks Sprint. Jellybean must have been worse than that Samsung Moment debacle where a routine update loving bricked the internal flash memory or some poo poo.
The entire lifespan of the Moment was a debacle (oops, were you using your mobile data? sorry about that, you have to reboot to get it back now). The only time I've paid full retail for a phone was to upgrade away from that to the HTC EVO.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tunga posted:

code:

Same message. I just extracted the images and flashed each component separately.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Same. Mine claimed it was missing system.img. Same thing with previous 5.x flashes on the N5. Weird.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

datajosh posted:

The entire lifespan of the Moment was a debacle (oops, were you using your mobile data? sorry about that, you have to reboot to get it back now). The only time I've paid full retail for a phone was to upgrade away from that to the HTC EVO.

I had an Epic 4G (the Sprint-branded sliding keyboard special-snowflake abomination of the Galaxy S) and got so fed up with that pile of poo poo I called Sprint and expressed my disappointment in such florid rhetoric that I was given an early upgrade. I didn't harangue the nice lady in their CS department so much as highlight how dealing with that piece of poo poo phone was "a trail of tears" and "a monumental infringement on Sprint's ability to provide the level of service to which I'd become accustomed." I used the upgrade to get an Evo 3D, because once you slam your dick in a door the first time, the next couple slams happen almost by reflex and before I knew it I was the proud owner of a Sprint Galaxy Nexus on release day.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

FAUXTON posted:

I had an Epic 4G (the Sprint-branded sliding keyboard special-snowflake abomination of the Galaxy S) and got so fed up with that pile of poo poo I called Sprint and expressed my disappointment in such florid rhetoric that I was given an early upgrade. I didn't harangue the nice lady in their CS department so much as highlight how dealing with that piece of poo poo phone was "a trail of tears" and "a monumental infringement on Sprint's ability to provide the level of service to which I'd become accustomed." I used the upgrade to get an Evo 3D, because once you slam your dick in a door the first time, the next couple slams happen almost by reflex and before I knew it I was the proud owner of a Sprint Galaxy Nexus on release day.

Haha, except for the other CDMA GNex, those are the exact same phones I had for my first three Android phones. Man, the Nexus 4 was nice when I got it!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Haha, except for the other CDMA GNex, those are the exact same phones I had for my first three Android phones. Man, the Nexus 4 was nice when I got it!

I had an HTC Hero before the Epic, and it wasn't awful with the exception of never being updated. Oh back in the day, when updates were more about adding basic functions (apps to SD card for example) onto the fledgling Android codebase...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Have to completely disagree with you there. This is a completely awesome change.
Agree. Notification light doesn't actually interrupt me like sound/vibrate so should always work no matter what mode I have the phone in. This is a good change.