Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Collateral Damage posted:

I think he's involved in KerbalStuff (the mod site).

Yeah it's his hardware last I checked, it seems to go down when things he doesn't like happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hobo By Design posted:

I bought the game Saturday. My first stable orbit got Jebediah stranded in space with no fuel. After some trial and error I managed to overlap Jeb's orbit. The plan was to have Jeb EVA over into a second cockpit. I came within kissing distance of the ship but I was too slow once getting within 1km for the intersection point :ohdear: The orbital map sucks for very fine orbital adjustments so I may abandon the attempt because it is frustrating and I am not good at this. Try a Mun Landing instead. It's a bigger target.

I will save you Jeb! Eventually!

Don't focus entirely on orbital adjustments - if you get within a couple km of the target, just reduce your relative velocity to the target to zero at that point (switch the navball to Target mode by clicking on the speedometer till it says Target, then burn retrograde on the navball till the speed reading is close to zero), then just burn straight toward the target to bring your approach closer, match velocities again at a couple hundred meters, and close in with RCS. At that kind of distance, you don't really need to worry about orbits - just match velocities and pretend neither you nor the target are moving, then maneuver using that pretend reference frame rather than the orbital view.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nth Doctor posted:

I haven't heard a peep about anything Majiir has done since the ModStats clusterfuck. Are they still involved in KSP at all?

Truly we live in a renaissance.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

I think he's involved in KerbalStuff (the mod site).

I'm not so sure. They had some drama where Majiir allegedly switched everything off for reasons and Kerbalstuff was down for a while. All the IPs changed and the other guy got it running again. I haven't seen anything to confirm but he seems to have just left KSP and crawled back under a stone.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Main Paineframe posted:

Don't focus entirely on orbital adjustments - if you get within a couple km of the target, just reduce your relative velocity to the target to zero at that point (switch the navball to Target mode by clicking on the speedometer till it says Target, then burn retrograde on the navball till the speed reading is close to zero), then just burn straight toward the target to bring your approach closer, match velocities again at a couple hundred meters, and close in with RCS. At that kind of distance, you don't really need to worry about orbits - just match velocities and pretend neither you nor the target are moving, then maneuver using that pretend reference frame rather than the orbital view.

It's really really easy to fix that middle few km, after you see it done once. Google docking using the navball, there's a ton of tutorials. The hard parts are getting an encounter, and actually docking (get docking alignment indicator or Lazor docking cam- now). Once you have the knowledge of how to do the middle bit, it vastly opens up the window of how close you need to be before you can start docking maneuvers.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ratzap posted:

I'm not so sure. They had some drama where Majiir allegedly switched everything off for reasons and Kerbalstuff was down for a while. All the IPs changed and the other guy got it running again. I haven't seen anything to confirm but he seems to have just left KSP and crawled back under a stone.

This very well may have happened after all! Looking at their GitHub account, they merged in someone else's version bumps to Kethane for 0.90 two months ago. Before that, their last commit was on October 7th.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

revdrkevind posted:

It's really really easy to fix that middle few km, after you see it done once. Google docking using the navball, there's a ton of tutorials. The hard parts are getting an encounter, and actually docking (get docking alignment indicator or Lazor docking cam- now). Once you have the knowledge of how to do the middle bit, it vastly opens up the window of how close you need to be before you can start docking maneuvers.

Yup. I saw it once and decided docking wasn't really that hard after all.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Since the .90 changes to career mode (upgradeable buildings etc), has anyone done crazy feats abyssal lurker's "1 tech tree 2 ships" beautiful achievement?

(edit: but I don't know if that tops this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ_VbMwXv3w)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

massive spider posted:

A hubble telescope mission would be cool.
Hello there!

Telescopes you say?

Tarsier Space Technology
CactEye Orbital Telescope

Note: I personally haven't tried either of those mods, they weren't really that developed when I played last. But they always looked interesting to me.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Here's a question that in my head works out but I want to run it by the hivemind before wasting all my time on it: Is it possible to "orbit" an asteroid? Like, I know with the whole lack of gravity it's not possible to get an Ap-Pe reading, but if I kept the same SMA/period and had slightly different AP-Pe's could it technically work?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Spaced God posted:

Here's a question that in my head works out but I want to run it by the hivemind before wasting all my time on it: Is it possible to "orbit" an asteroid? Like, I know with the whole lack of gravity it's not possible to get an Ap-Pe reading, but if I kept the same SMA/period and had slightly different AP-Pe's could it technically work?

In theory, you could have an orbit around the sun/parent body as you describe, but if you ever focus on your ship the orbit will be perturbed. You will probably need to set it up in the persistence file. Since you can't look at it, utility is greatly reduced.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
This is a bit metagamey but it's been bugging me since 2012 so now here's some questions:

How's localization coming along?

Like let's say hypothetically I teach English in Korea and because people are assholes instead of vacation I've got to teach "English Camp," and since their curriculum is garbage I threw it all away and said, "Y'all gonna learn space." But while water rockets are pretty cool, children are idiots and unable to parse simple tasks like, "hit the hula hoop at the other end of the football field with your rocket." (You'll miss 3 times but since we're writing down how much water and pressure we used each attempt, we'll dial it in, right? RIGHT?).

Some guy wrote a really good wikipedia page , but the https://www.kerbaledu.com/features site is sadly English only, and I can't get approval for lesson plans that 55+ year old Korean principals don't understand. They can parse water rockets but whenever I show them a webpage that's not in English they're all like "영어 읽 수 없어!" and I'm stuck watching middleschoolers snort pesticide instead of learning when they get bored of launching their pathetic excuses for water rockets.

I'd like to be able to say, "hey assholes, let's play computer games and have fun and play games!" And then be like, "Hey it's still about rockets! Psyche!" But getting access to the computer labs requires prior authorization from the administration office and that means yet more Koreans need to be able to understand what I'm planning. I mean, these people aren't dumb (you need at least an MA to teach here) but they're really goddamn lazy and just fall asleep as soon as they see English. If I could wave some official looking "HERE'S ALL THE COOL poo poo YOU CAN LEARN WITH KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM!!!!" url at somebody, I feel that I'd probably get authorization to buy a volume license. These people shrug at spending $600 on water rockets that are going to get used for 2 weeks then thrown away. I could probably get them to buy software.

Oh also most white people who teach English in Korea are really goddamn lazy and would rather download someone else's lessons than come up with their own. In fact they have their own website set up just for doing that: (http://www.waygook.org/) but in the site's 7 year history there's yet to be a complete 2-week English camp lesson plan posted. If I could establish precedence at my school for principals authorizing the bulk purchase of KSP, and disseminated to the white-boy-teaching-English-in-Korea hivemind a really bang up set of lesson plans requiring the use of KSP, there might be some money directed your way.

But, is the Korean department of education a big enough market for you to bother writing a multilingual KerbalEdu page? I have no idea what your business model is like or whether 50 million people is even worth writing home about.

I will say this though. Don't bother with the Chinese. Bunch of loving pirates.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 10, 2015

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

DreadLlama posted:

This is a bit metagamey but it's been bugging me since 2012 so now here's some questions:

How's localization coming along?

There is a fan run Japanese wiki. I'd imagine others exist.

Once in the game, much language wasn't used besides :science:. That was until contracts and such were added. Now, localization is a bit more necessary.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Spaced God posted:

Scott Manley has a video in his archive somewhere that has him setting up two complementary orbits that make each appear to circle the other. I'm not sure how it's setup, but I know that it is a thing that exists.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

There is a fan run Japanese wiki. I'd imagine others exist.

Once in the game, much language wasn't used besides :science:. That was until contracts and such were added. Now, localization is a bit more necessary.

I'm primarily concerned with selling the game to people who'll never play it and don't really understand why we need computers to begin with. KSP's merits speak for themselves if as long as the person to whom it's being introduced appreciates the value of spaceflight.

If you're some rear end in a top hat whose entire national identity is based off sticking to your tiny little peninsula and never exploring beyond the horizon, it's a tough sell. Right now those guys have the monopoly on what's taught to my students.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

double nine posted:

Since the .90 changes to career mode (upgradeable buildings etc), has anyone done crazy feats abyssal lurker's "1 tech tree 2 ships" beautiful achievement?

(edit: but I don't know if that tops this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ_VbMwXv3w)

Isn't this achievable the same way Scott Manley created his killer asteroid mission before Asteroid Redirect Mission was introduced? Just editing the save file?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcV1gE4Q5aY&feature=youtu.be&t=1m28s

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Possibly, but unless stealthy video editing is used, Abyssal Lurker adds force to his football at the start (by decoupling it from the bit with solar panels on) which would gently caress up an initial orbit achieved by savegame editing.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

Falken posted:

Who was it in this thread who was making the dockfuse mod? I'm curious if they've made any improvements.

Yeah that was me, haven't done any more with it. Need a model for the merged dock, the staging thing was proving a bit difficult, and ultimately I just haven't gotten time to work on it due to my job. Will hopefully get to it, otherwise maybe someone else will pick it up.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

DreadLlama posted:

I teach English in Korea and because people are assholes instead of vacation I've got to teach "English Camp," and since their curriculum is garbage I threw it all away and said, "Y'all gonna learn space."

This is exactly how the Koreans should learn to build rockets, from KSP. Even the acronym fits!

Oh wait, they already Rocket the KSP way...... (turn your volume down for this.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spaceplane rev 2 much more successful. Not only does it easily make orbit and come back down with fuel to spare, the matched front and rear tanks are a great way to trim it.

Even nailed the landing (mostly, it came down from a prograde orbit).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

pun pundit posted:

Possibly, but unless stealthy video editing is used, Abyssal Lurker adds force to his football at the start (by decoupling it from the bit with solar panels on) which would gently caress up an initial orbit achieved by savegame editing.

Maybe, but I think that can be compensated for more easily than actually trying to make that shot.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

BMS posted:

This is exactly how the Koreans should learn to build rockets, from KSP. Even the acronym fits!

Oh wait, they already Rocket the KSP way...... (turn your volume down for this.)

Where did you find such a dumb youtube video? That's a russian rocket failure.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah that's the Glonass 49 crash.

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/proton_glonass49.html

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DreadLlama posted:

I'm primarily concerned with selling the game to people who'll never play it and don't really understand why we need computers to begin with. KSP's merits speak for themselves if as long as the person to whom it's being introduced appreciates the value of spaceflight.

If you're some rear end in a top hat whose entire national identity is based off sticking to your tiny little peninsula and never exploring beyond the horizon, it's a tough sell. Right now those guys have the monopoly on what's taught to my students.

So what you need is not a translation of the game itself, but of the website? In any case, I doubt Squad has the resources to translate either into Korean. Maybe Maxmaps can hook you up with the infrastructure but you'll most likely have to provide the translations yourself.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Koobze, I've been having issues with dockfuse. Was getting unusual events with my heavily modded install, such as upon "fuse docking ports" it would tell me that the docking ports needed to be connected to something (which they were), and then after that the two ports would be unable to separate with the undock or decouple node tweakable buttons. Then it would nullref a bunch.

I tried a pretty much stock install with just B9 Aerospace and it's dependencies and Active Texture Managment, and ModuleManager.2.5.10. Upon "fuse docking ports" I had this happen.

Now, the Mk3 cockpit was the root part, two clamp-o-trons between that and the SPP cockpit. Upon dock fuse, a nullref occurred, and the spp cockpit and both docking ports fell through the mk3 cockpit, bounced off the launch pad and began to drift away as if I had the hack gravity cheat mode on. What was really strange is that the SPP cockpit and the docking nodes "behaved" as if they were still connected to the Mk3 cockpit, so the SPP cockpit responded to control inputs, and I could bring up the tweakable menus for all the parts as if they were still part of the current vessel.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000

So it was basically Mk3 cockpit root, regular docking port (on top), regular docking port, and mk2 cockpit?
I will try to reproduce tomorrow or thursday evening, probably thursday as tomorrow I am flying to Sydney and it's almost bedtime now.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Since reading about the Solar impulse, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Impulse) I got an idea that I want to try out: Solar powered reactionless SSTO, (with RCS sufficient for a circularization burn). What mods would best for making such a venture as realistic as possible?

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

Since reading about the Solar impulse, (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Impulse) I got an idea that I want to try out: Solar powered reactionless SSTO, (with RCS sufficient for a circularization burn). What mods would best for making such a venture as realistic as possible?

I assume by reactionless you mean no fuel, i.e., electric propellers, like the Solar Imuplse?

You can't get a significant fraction of orbital speed with any remotely realistic propeller (you can get an electric propeller from KAX, but even that one isn't very realistic; it can max out beyond mach 1 in level flight). What might work is using propellers to go straight up, to get into space, then using RCS (which can have arbitrarily high TWR, thanks to massless engines) to circularize into orbit.

This method really only fits the letter of your challenge, though, probably not the spirit. It would be more an RCS SSTO (which is possible), that uses a propeller only to make sure that the RCS burn is technically all circularization. Very little of the overall useful delta-v would come from the propeller.

What I'm guessing you have in mind is probably not possible, without a highly unrealistic mod.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I recall there's some mod that has an electric turbofan. It's not realistic in any way shape or form though.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I recall there's some mod that has an electric turbofan. It's not realistic in any way shape or form though.

the ... mod or the project?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I'm curious to see how close I can get, ie. how little fuel I can get away with bringing along. I wonder something like KSP Interstellar's thermal turbojets could be made to run off electric charge rather than MegaJoules. Or maybe use atmospheric scoops to suck up atmosphere to shoot it out the back at a high temperature. I mean, heat exchangers don't require a nuclear reactor, do they?

I'd want to go for something with as close to realistic power requirements, masses, battery capacity, and thrust etc as possible. I mean, sure you can cheat in something with infinite fuel and and a TWR of a billion, but for me it's better if -even if it doesn't work- I could theoretically build it in my backyard and have it do in life what it does in the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd be right interested in a solar sail, now that I think of it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DreadLlama posted:

I'm curious to see how close I can get, ie. how little fuel I can get away with bringing along. I wonder something like KSP Interstellar's thermal turbojets could be made to run off electric charge rather than MegaJoules. Or maybe use atmospheric scoops to suck up atmosphere to shoot it out the back at a high temperature. I mean, heat exchangers don't require a nuclear reactor, do they?

I'd want to go for something with as close to realistic power requirements, masses, battery capacity, and thrust etc as possible. I mean, sure you can cheat in something with infinite fuel and and a TWR of a billion, but for me it's better if -even if it doesn't work- I could theoretically build it in my backyard and have it do in life what it does in the game.

I'm pretty sure what you want is probably close to impossible in real life, so realism probably shouldn't be your primary concern.

Splicer posted:

I'd be right interested in a solar sail, now that I think of it.

KSP Interstellar had one at one point, dunno if it still does though. Supposedly it even worked on-rails somehow.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So, am I going crazy or was there a mod at one point that allowed for burns on rails? Because a 1000 day long burn in RSS to reach a comet is going to make me loving shoot myself :suicide:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Spaced God posted:

So, am I going crazy or was there a mod at one point that allowed for burns on rails? Because a 1000 day long burn in RSS to reach a comet is going to make me loving shoot myself :suicide:

I got to the point where I would get to the burn, use hyper edit to make the burn and adjust my fuel levels to correspond. Sometimes I'd just jump to the next hard/interesting orbital maneuver by editing the appropriate capture orbit at whatever my next body of interest was.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm slamming into the magic memory wall in my career game. Do I need to end flights and clean up debris? I really want my LKO to be a junkyard monument to bootstrap space development.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I'm slamming into the magic memory wall in my career game. Do I need to end flights and clean up debris? I really want my LKO to be a junkyard monument to bootstrap space development.

I've wondered about that. Ive got 45 flights running, most orbiting Kerbin for contracts and KSP crashes all the time.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm pretty sure what you want is probably close to impossible in real life, so realism probably shouldn't be your primary concern.

Of course it is! If it were easy it wouldn't be any fun. Isn't that the point of FAR and remote tech?

In fact it's probably quite impossible. But for me the fun is in trying.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Is there some way to turn off the unmanned-no-link-means-no-control part of remote tech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Best use for space stations: a safe harbor when you get up into orbit with Jeb and Bill and realize you forgot parachutes and electricity. Except I also forgot docking ports. And a full RCS setup. And the space station didn't have enough crew space to hold both of them. OOPS

Fortunately, that launch also happened to be field-testing one of the little one-man pods from RoverDude's exploration pack, equipped with a KAS winch in case I needed it to grab something while testing LKO operations, so poor Bill had to tie his pod to the side of the station while Jeb boarded to eat all the snacks. :jeb: